Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default improv pierogies

I made some mashed potatoes. I have some frozen cheese ravioli.... I'm
thinking a mashup with the two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
>I made some mashed potatoes. I have some frozen cheese ravioli.... I'm
>thinking a mashup with the two.

Hmmm... Not the same in my book at all. When I want improv pierogies, I
make the filling and put it in cooked shells for stuffing. You can't deep
or pan fry these of course. I heat them through in the oven smothered in a
blanket of sautéed onions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 10:14*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Hmmm... *Not the same in my book at all. *When I want improv pierogies, I
> make the filling and put it in cooked shells for stuffing. *You can't deep
> or pan fry these of course. *I heat them through in the oven smothered in a
> blanket of sautéed onions.

I have eaten homemande perogies many times as a kid. I never made
them though. Where do you get the shells? I never even thought about
that. I know they have pizza shells and pie shells, but I never even
considered perogie shells. A good idea. Where do you get yours and
how's the price? I wouldn't even mind a short recipe from you on
this, and if it's a hassle in any way, please don't bother. But I
would like to know where you got the shells, etc? Thanks.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tommy Joe wrote:
> On Dec 28, 10:14 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Hmmm... Not the same in my book at all. When I want improv
>> pierogies, I make the filling and put it in cooked shells for
>> stuffing. You can't deep or pan fry these of course. I heat them
>> through in the oven smothered in a blanket of sautéed onions.

> I have eaten homemande perogies many times as a kid. I never made
> them though. Where do you get the shells? I never even thought about
> that. I know they have pizza shells and pie shells, but I never even
> considered perogie shells. A good idea. Where do you get yours and
> how's the price? I wouldn't even mind a short recipe from you on
> this, and if it's a hassle in any way, please don't bother. But I
> would like to know where you got the shells, etc? Thanks.
>
> TJ

They're not pierogie shells because pierogies are sealed like ravioli.
These are the very large pasta shells generally used for stuffing with
ricotta cheese and topped with a red sauce. I can't really give you a price
since I haven't made them since daughter started the South Beach diet. She
can't have potatoes now. When I did make them, I bought the rice pasta
shells which cost more. Something like $3.50 per package. I'm sure that
the wheat ones would be less. The ones I am talking about are like this:

http://www.buythecase.net/product/89...GDQgodYn0 A5w

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Somebody" > wrote:

> I made some mashed potatoes. I have some frozen cheese ravioli.... I'm
> thinking a mashup with the two.

How do you get pierogi out of that? You have ravioli (filled noodle
dough) and you have mashed potatoes (a possible filling for pierogi).
I'm not seeing how that twain meets. What's on your mind?
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Tommy Joe > wrote:

> On Dec 28, 10:14*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > Hmmm... *Not the same in my book at all. *When I want improv pierogies, I
> > make the filling and put it in cooked shells for stuffing. *You can't deep
> > or pan fry these of course. *I heat them through in the oven smothered in a
> > blanket of sautéed onions.

> I have eaten homemande perogies many times as a kid. I never made
> them though. Where do you get the shells? I never even thought about
> that. I know they have pizza shells and pie shells, but I never even
> considered perogie shells. A good idea. Where do you get yours and
> how's the price? I wouldn't even mind a short recipe from you on
> this, and if it's a hassle in any way, please don't bother. But I
> would like to know where you got the shells, etc? Thanks.
>
> TJ

"Get the shells"? <grin> Ya doesn't "get the shells," ya makes pirohy
from scratch. Have a look he
<http://www.barbschaller.com/Blahblah..._The_Pirohy_Pr
incess_is_in_The_Kitchen!.html>

It is a labor intensive effort, much doable and worth the effort if you
like Slovak soul food.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Tommy Joe > wrote:
>
>> On Dec 28, 10:14 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>
>> > Hmmm... Not the same in my book at all. When I want improv pierogies, I
>> > make the filling and put it in cooked shells for stuffing. You can't
>> > deep
>> > or pan fry these of course. I heat them through in the oven smothered
>> > in a
>> > blanket of sautéed onions.

>> I have eaten homemande perogies many times as a kid. I never made
>> them though. Where do you get the shells? I never even thought about
>> that. I know they have pizza shells and pie shells, but I never even
>> considered perogie shells. A good idea. Where do you get yours and
>> how's the price? I wouldn't even mind a short recipe from you on
>> this, and if it's a hassle in any way, please don't bother. But I
>> would like to know where you got the shells, etc? Thanks.
>>
>> TJ

> "Get the shells"? <grin> Ya doesn't "get the shells," ya makes pirohy
> from scratch. Have a look he
> <http://www.barbschaller.com/Blahblah..._The_Pirohy_Pr
> incess_is_in_The_Kitchen!.html>
>
> It is a labor intensive effort, much doable and worth the effort if you
> like Slovak soul food.
> --
> Barb,
> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.

Well I can't do that because it involves eggs to seal them and I can't have
eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I lost track if this group years ago. So happy to be back!..
A friend and I mad 900 pierogies on Sunday..
Most end up being given away..the back is aching but they are wonderful to have!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30 2012, 2:28*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> They're not pierogie shells because pierogies are sealed like ravioli.
> These are the very large pasta shells generally used for stuffing with
> ricotta cheese and topped with a red sauce. *I can't really give you a price
> since I haven't made them since daughter started the South Beach diet. *She
> can't have potatoes now. *When I did make them, I bought the rice pasta
> shells which cost more. *Something like $3.50 per package. *I'm sure that
> the wheat ones would be less. *The ones I am talking about are like this:
>
> http://www.buythecase.net/product/89..._jumbo_shells_...

Thanks for the response. I know perogies are sealed, but I was
picturing some kind of frozen perogie shell that is thawed and then
pinched together. I'm not trying to relive the past - especially if
it requires a bunch of work - but the perogies my grandparents made
would never have fit on a tablespoon. They were fat and full,
homemade of course. I even liked them boiled. In my hometown of
Allentown PA perogies are sold deep-fried in bars and are as common as
french fries. I liked them all sorts of ways. I don't have the room
to make dough anyway, even if I were ready to handle the tedium, which
at this time in my life I am not. Thanks for the response and link.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 31 2012, 1:53*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:

> It is a labor intensive effort, much doable and worth the effort if you
> like Slovak soul food.
> --
> Barb,http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.

I don't have the space here for cutting loose with certain types of
cooking such as making dough. I have eaten homemade perogies many
times. My grandparents and all their relatives were great cooks, all
of them. They were not Slovak, they were Arab - but many of those
people arrived on these shores near the same time and lived in a place
called The Ward in my hometown of Allentown Pa. Many groups learned
and loved the foods of other groups. My grandparents on my mothers
side are half Slovak and made some dishes very well, but overall were
not on the same level as those from my father's side. My mother's
side was poorer and cut a lot of corners in cooking but also made some
good rib sticking peasant food such as potatoes and onions and
keilbasa fried up all nice and greasy. I'll check out your link but
unless I move to a larger place I doubt sincerely I'll be making
perogies from scratch anytime soon. I've had them that way though, a
common thing in my hometown back when.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 1, 7:51 pm, wrote:

> I lost track if this group years ago. So happy to be back!..
> A friend and I mad 900 pierogies on Sunday..
> Most end up being given away..the back is aching but they are wonderful to have!

Try making a pot load of stuffed grape leaves, that will work
your back pretty good too. I haven't made them in years, but I liked
rolling them tight. A bunch of lamb or beef bones are laid across the
bottom of the pot to keep the rolled leaves from swimming around and
scorching, I guess. Some people use leaves instead of bones. The way
the rolls go into the pot reminds me of building a log house, one row
east and west, the next north and south, and so on till the pol is
filled with the stuffed leaves. It's a tedious chore. It's worth it
though (like most things, after it's over).

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Tommy Joe > wrote:

> On Dec 31 2012, 1:53*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > It is a labor intensive effort, much doable and worth the effort if you
> > like Slovak soul food.
> > --
> > Barb,http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.

> I don't have the space here for cutting loose with certain types of
> cooking such as making dough. I have eaten homemade perogies many
> times. My grandparents and all their relatives were great cooks, all
> of them. They were not Slovak, they were Arab - but many of those
> people arrived on these shores near the same time and lived in a place
> called The Ward in my hometown of Allentown Pa. Many groups learned
> and loved the foods of other groups. My grandparents on my mothers
> side are half Slovak and made some dishes very well, but overall were
> not on the same level as those from my father's side. My mother's
> side was poorer and cut a lot of corners in cooking but also made some
> good rib sticking peasant food such as potatoes and onions and
> keilbasa fried up all nice and greasy. I'll check out your link but
> unless I move to a larger place I doubt sincerely I'll be making
> perogies from scratch anytime soon. I've had them that way though, a
> common thing in my hometown back when.
>
> TJ

I've had Mrs. T's Pierogies and they're okay if I'm desperate. Haven't
been able to find the kraut-filled ones here -- my brother likes those
best. Me, I prefer my own cottage cheese-filled pirohy.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 3, 1:33*pm, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I've had Mrs. T's Pierogies and they're okay if I'm desperate. *Haven't
> been able to find the kraut-filled ones here -- my brother likes those
> best. *Me, I prefer my own cottage cheese-filled pirohy.
> --
> Barb,http://www.barbschaller.com, as of December 23, 2012.

I tried to access your site yesterday. I have a slow browser with
dialup and couldn't get there. No biggie. I have tried the Mrs T's,
about 15 years ago. I'm not going to put them down. I agree, they're
ok if one is desperate. But when I bought the box and got them home I
was amazed at how thin and empty they were. I wasn't expecting
anything great, but I had never had commercial perogies before except
for the deep fried ones in the bars and taverns of Allentown Pa. When
I was a kid the ones we ate were all homemade and were big and fat.
It's like nuts or candies, you might get tired of eating just one
kind. I was lucky to have a grandmother who knew how to cook and
spent a lot of time in the kitchen. Even spoiled you might say. We
never had just potato or just cheese or just sauerkraut, it was always
a combination of the 3. I loved the sauerkraut but admit that if
that's all there was to eat I'd probably get tired of them pretty
quick. I suppose if someone put a gun to my head and ordered me to
choose just one type of perogie I'd go with the cheese and potato
mix. I suppose one of the best taste enhancers on the market (and
doesn't cost anything), is pure hunger. When you're hungry a lot of
things taste good. I'll bet a few of those Mrs T's perogies sauteed
in butter would be ok on the right occasion.

TJ

Pierogies Tara General Cooking 15 06-10-2013 12:02 AM
Improv. Chili Con Carne Foodheaven Recipes 1 20-08-2013 01:02 AM
Pierogies! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 2 04-04-2012 10:20 PM
Western Style Pierogies Oh Deer Recipes (moderated) 0 13-03-2006 08:03 AM