Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default evaporated cane sugar

Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

I've never heard of evaporated sugar! I looked it up:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ar-in-disguise

Sounds like this stuff still has some molasses in it?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >

> I've never heard of evaporated sugar! I looked it up:
>
> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ar-in-disguise
>
> Sounds like this stuff still has some molasses in it?
>
> Jill

I believe the only real difference between "raw" or "evaporated" sugar
vs. "refined" is the lack of centrifuging the residual molasses out. I'm
sure you can pulverize it finer in a blender or FP so it dissolves
faster, or just use the refined sugar which is already in a finer
crystal form. Either way it's plain old sucrose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:34:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >

> I've never heard of evaporated sugar! I looked it up:
>
> http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/201...ar-in-disguise
>
> Sounds like this stuff still has some molasses in it?

This stuff is white, but it's not a bright white... kind of like the
difference between unbleached and bleached flour. Without conducting
a side by side comparison because I don't have them, I'd say the
granules are about the same size as turbino or that stuff labeled
"raw" sugar we get at the coffee shop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

I'm lazy, too. I make my coffee a cup at a time, in a Melitta cone - I
add the sugar on top of the coffee in the cone, and no stirring is needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 13:25:32 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >

> I'm lazy, too. I make my coffee a cup at a time, in a Melitta cone - I
> add the sugar on top of the coffee in the cone, and no stirring is needed.

Point taken. I'll add it to the pot tomorrow, since I'm the only
coffee drinker in the house.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee.

You don't like stirring your coffee.
And just when I thought I've heard it all.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 6:27 AM, sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

My suggestion is that you make a simple syrup out of the sugar. Don't
make it too concentrated. You could also dissolve the sugar in the
correct proportions in heated cream. I use Splenda so there's no need to
stir if I put it in the cup first.

What the world needs now is a tablet of creamer and sugar that you drop
in your coffee and it dissolves and mixes itself. We deserve no less.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:50:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee.

> You don't like stirring your coffee.
> And just when I thought I've heard it all.

My coffee is self stirring when I use regular sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 12:27 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >

> I'm lazy, too. I make my coffee a cup at a time, in a Melitta cone - I
> add the sugar on top of the coffee in the cone, and no stirring is needed.

Wow. There's two of them. Unbelievable.

Seriously here. How can you two go through all the steps to make coffee and
then cry about having to stir in some sugar once it's made? LMAO! I hope
neither of you ever pick on Julie ever again. You've outdone even her most
classic denial posts.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

You could solve the problem by just not messing up good coffee (it is
good coffee I hope?) with sugar. I started drinking coffee when I was
about 5, and by 5.5 I stopped bothering with sugar. Just a little milk
to bring it down to drinkable temperature and all is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:47:55 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >

> You could solve the problem by just not messing up good coffee (it is
> good coffee I hope?) with sugar. I started drinking coffee when I was
> about 5, and by 5.5 I stopped bothering with sugar. Just a little milk
> to bring it down to drinkable temperature and all is good.

It's excellent coffee. Here's the deal: I'll drink my coffee my way
and won't tell you how completely wrong you are and you can do the
same for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> What the world needs now is a tablet of creamer and sugar that you drop
> in your coffee and it dissolves and mixes itself. We deserve no less.

I think the technology is available right now to have a flying robotic spoon
that will stir your coffee then go rinse itself off under the sink.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 4:14 PM, Gary wrote:

> Seriously here. How can you two go through all the steps to make coffee and
> then cry about having to stir in some sugar once it's made? LMAO! I hope
> neither of you ever pick on Julie ever again. You've outdone even her most
> classic denial posts.

Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
coffee grounds.

Step 1 - put filter in cone
Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
Step 3 - heat water
Step 4 - pour water into filter

Posted to rec.food.cooking

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 4:14 PM, Gary wrote:
>
> > Seriously here. How can you two go through all the steps to make coffee and
> > then cry about having to stir in some sugar once it's made? LMAO! I hope
> > neither of you ever pick on Julie ever again. You've outdone even her most
> > classic denial posts.
> >

> Who's "crying"?

Not you. SF was complaining about having to stir her coffee.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/30/2013 4:14 PM, Gary wrote:
>
>> Seriously here. How can you two go through all the steps to make coffee
>> and
>> then cry about having to stir in some sugar once it's made? LMAO! I hope
>> neither of you ever pick on Julie ever again. You've outdone even her
>> most
>> classic denial posts.
>>

> Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
> it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
> coffee grounds.
>
> Step 1 - put filter in cone
> Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
> Step 3 - heat water
> Step 4 - pour water into filter

Very sensible. This is the way Greek coffee is made,
the way much of the Cuban coffee is made, the way
I was taught to make Brazilian coffee, and probably
some 50 other countries: add sugar with the coffee.
I think it tastes better, too. But that's silly.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:50:44 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > > because I don't like stirring my coffee.

> > You don't like stirring your coffee.
> > And just when I thought I've heard it all.
> >

> My coffee is self stirring when I use regular sugar.

So tell us about this evaporated cane sugar that has to be stirred. Better
tasting? Healthier? I am curious. If you do like it better, you should just
"bite the bullet" and give it a stir.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:47:55 -0500, "Pete C." >
> wrote:
>

>> sf wrote:
>> >
>> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
>> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
>> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
>> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
>> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
>> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
>> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
>> >

>> You could solve the problem by just not messing up good coffee (it is
>> good coffee I hope?) with sugar. I started drinking coffee when I was
>> about 5, and by 5.5 I stopped bothering with sugar. Just a little milk
>> to bring it down to drinkable temperature and all is good.

> It's excellent coffee. Here's the deal: I'll drink my coffee my way
> and won't tell you how completely wrong you are and you can do the
> same for me.

you are both wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 10:57 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> What the world needs now is a tablet of creamer and sugar that you drop
>> in your coffee and it dissolves and mixes itself. We deserve no less.

> I think the technology is available right now to have a flying robotic spoon
> that will stir your coffee then go rinse itself off under the sink.
>
> G.

It's a beautiful world!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 11:11 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
> it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
> coffee grounds.
>
> Step 1 - put filter in cone
> Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
> Step 3 - heat water
> Step 4 - pour water into filter

I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> What the world needs now is a tablet of creamer and sugar that you drop
>> in your coffee and it dissolves and mixes itself. We deserve no less.

> I think the technology is available right now to have a flying robotic
> spoon
> that will stir your coffee then go rinse itself off under the sink.
>
> G.

Actually, if you just gave the coffee to someone else, you wouldn't have to
either stir it OR drink it. If you are going to be lazy, be lazy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 6:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/30/2013 11:11 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>> Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
>> it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
>> coffee grounds.
>>
>> Step 1 - put filter in cone
>> Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
>> Step 3 - heat water
>> Step 4 - pour water into filter
>>

> I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
> probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

I thought that might be the case, but I've tested it, using the
identical amount of sugar - it tastes the same whether added before or
after brewing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 1:11 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 7/30/2013 6:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 7/30/2013 11:11 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
>>> Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
>>> it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
>>> coffee grounds.
>>>
>>> Step 1 - put filter in cone
>>> Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
>>> Step 3 - heat water
>>> Step 4 - pour water into filter
>>>

>> I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
>> probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

> I thought that might be the case, but I've tested it, using the
> identical amount of sugar - it tastes the same whether added before or
> after brewing.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely try this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:30:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > You don't like stirring your coffee.
> > > And just when I thought I've heard it all.
> > >

> > My coffee is self stirring when I use regular sugar.

> So tell us about this evaporated cane sugar that has to be stirred. Better
> tasting? Healthier? I am curious.

I ran out of regular sugar, I shopped at Trader Joe's that day and
that's what they sell. It was the first time I'd ever bought it and
it will be my last. In the mean time, I'm using it up rather than
throw it away. The granules are too large to use any way other than
in coffee. I'll add it directly to the coffeepot tomorrow - it should
be melted and mixed in by the time the coffee finishes dripping.

> If you do like it better,

I've never used it before and didn't buy it because I like it better.
It was the only choice where I shopped that day.

> you should just "bite the bullet" and give it a stir.

Did I say I didn't? I said I'd rather not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:31:20 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:47:55 -0500, "Pete C." >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> You could solve the problem by just not messing up good coffee (it is
> >> good coffee I hope?) with sugar. I started drinking coffee when I was
> >> about 5, and by 5.5 I stopped bothering with sugar. Just a little milk
> >> to bring it down to drinkable temperature and all is good.

> > It's excellent coffee. Here's the deal: I'll drink my coffee my way
> > and won't tell you how completely wrong you are and you can do the
> > same for me.
> >

> you are both wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:21:20 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
> probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

I will put mine in the pot, not with the grounds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:11:38 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 6:21 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On 7/30/2013 11:11 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> >> Who's "crying"? I'm the only one in this house who drinks coffee, I make
> >> it a cup at a time, and it seems sensible to put the sugar in with the
> >> coffee grounds.
> >>
> >> Step 1 - put filter in cone
> >> Step 2 - put coffee and sugar in filter
> >> Step 3 - heat water
> >> Step 4 - pour water into filter
> >>

> > I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
> > probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

> I thought that might be the case, but I've tested it, using the
> identical amount of sugar - it tastes the same whether added before or
> after brewing.

Is there any particular reason why you continue to put it with the
grounds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 8:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:11:38 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:

>>> I like that idea. I'm surprised that I never tried it. OTOH, you're
>>> probably using half the sugar to sweeten the coffee grounds.

>> I thought that might be the case, but I've tested it, using the
>> identical amount of sugar - it tastes the same whether added before or
>> after brewing.

> Is there any particular reason why you continue to put it with the
> grounds?

It's quick, simple, and saves dirtying a spoon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 8:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:30:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>>> My coffee is self stirring when I use regular sugar.

>> So tell us about this evaporated cane sugar that has to be stirred. Better
>> tasting? Healthier? I am curious.
>>

> I ran out of regular sugar, I shopped at Trader Joe's that day and
> that's what they sell. It was the first time I'd ever bought it and
> it will be my last. In the mean time, I'm using it up rather than
> throw it away. The granules are too large to use any way other than
> in coffee. I'll add it directly to the coffeepot tomorrow - it should
> be melted and mixed in by the time the coffee finishes dripping.

Sounds like a plan. I can't say I've ever seen this type of sugar
but then I don't use much sugar. They probably sell it at Publix and
I've just never noticed.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2013 9:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/30/2013 8:14 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 17:30:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Sounds like a plan. I can't say I've ever seen this type of sugar
> but then I don't use much sugar. They probably sell it at Publix and
> I've just never noticed.
>
> Jill

I used to buy raw sugar all the time but I stopped.

Raw sugar is not any healthier or anymore organic. It's more flavourful
and richer. I used to use it because I like weak coffee but sugary in
taste, so with raw sugar i found I could use less sugar to get the sweet
flavour I wanted.

It's widely available anywhere for more money than the chemically
processed white sugar but it's no more healthier although lots of people
think it is. It's there for flavour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

Yes, you can. I usually use the blender for this purpose (or for turning
regular sugar into powdered) and it works well. I should think the food
processor will work well enough to get the granules to easy melting size.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

If you put sugar in your FP, you'll wind up with powdered sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 21:21:26 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 7/30/2013 8:18 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 19:11:38 -0400, S Viemeister
> > > wrote:

> >> I thought that might be the case, but I've tested it, using the
> >> identical amount of sugar - it tastes the same whether added before or
> >> after brewing.

> > Is there any particular reason why you continue to put it with the
> > grounds?
> >

> It's quick, simple, and saves dirtying a spoon.

I meant vs putting it in the pot and letting the hot coffee drip onto
it. I asked because you said you've done it both ways.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:06:19 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

> Yes, you can. I usually use the blender for this purpose (or for turning
> regular sugar into powdered) and it works well. I should think the food
> processor will work well enough to get the granules to easy melting size.

Thank you! I will pulverize it into smaller particles tomorrow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2013 12:29 AM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>>> Is there any particular reason why you continue to put it with the
>>> grounds?

>> It's quick, simple, and saves dirtying a spoon.

> I meant vs putting it in the pot and letting the hot coffee drip onto
> it. I asked because you said you've done it both ways.

Ah, I understand now.
I don't use a pot, I brew directly into a coffee mug. The larger
crystals (I use Demerara) sometimes need a bit of a stir if I put the
sugar into the bottom of the cup. My response to dsi1 was about whether
or not a lot of the sugar was retained in the grounds. It isn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:06:19 -0700, Marcella Peek
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
>> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
>> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
>> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
>> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
>> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
>> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.

>> Yes, you can. I usually use the blender for this purpose (or for turning
>> regular sugar into powdered) and it works well. I should think the food
>> processor will work well enough to get the granules to easy melting size.
>>

> Thank you! I will pulverize it into smaller particles tomorrow.

why did you not just give it a try on your own?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:49:59 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> Ah, I understand now.
> I don't use a pot, I brew directly into a coffee mug. The larger
> crystals (I use Demerara) sometimes need a bit of a stir if I put the
> sugar into the bottom of the cup.

OH! Okay, then I'll probably need to experiment too. I'll try it in
the pot first (I make enough for two mugs of coffee, which is the 4
cup level) and if I have to stir, I'll put it in with the grounds
tomorrow. Thanks!

> My response to dsi1 was about whether
> or not a lot of the sugar was retained in the grounds. It isn't.

I understood your response to him, sorry I wasn't clear enough when I
asked that question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 07:33:43 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 20:06:19 -0700, Marcella Peek
> > > wrote:

> >> Yes, you can. I usually use the blender for this purpose (or for turning
> >> regular sugar into powdered) and it works well. I should think the food
> >> processor will work well enough to get the granules to easy melting size.
> >>

> > Thank you! I will pulverize it into smaller particles tomorrow.

You needed something to do.
> why did you not just give it a try on your own?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 16:49:50 -0500 (CDT), Tonto Goldberg
> wrote:

> sf > Wrote in message:
> >
> > Has anyone ever given it a whirl in the FP? At the risk of sounding
> > like a spoiled brat, I'm wondering if this stuff can be made any finer
> > because I don't like stirring my coffee. I prefer to put sugar and
> > cream in the cup first and fill it the rest of the way with coffee.
> > No stirring needed when I use ordinary sugar, but this stuff dissolves
> > too slowly and I have to stir. I know, boo hoo. Wondering if I can
> > make it any finer and if will dissolve more quickly if it is.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
> >

> It will work better in a small grinder. I've done this with brown
> sugar. I'll spread in a thin layer on a sheet pan and run it
> through the oven until very dry. then it goes into a small
> coffee grinder. I can turn it into ultra fine powder. you might
> be able to skip the drying process with turbinado sugar.

I put it into my mini-ninja and let-er rip for a few seconds. That's
all it needed to be reduced to a granule small enough to melt by
itself in hot coffee, thanks.

HFCS and cane sugar Julia Altshuler General Cooking 126 19-10-2007 04:37 PM
Evaporated Cane Juice??? Goomba38 General Cooking 20 12-10-2006 06:48 PM
Sugar Cane April W. Barbecue 40 30-08-2004 06:24 PM
WHEAT,BEET SUGAR,CANE SUGAR,YELLOW CORN,MILK POWER,etc. krzysiek Marketplace 0 02-03-2004 09:33 PM
sugar cane Mediadrome Mexican Cooking 2 08-12-2003 07:15 PM