Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default One superb mustard-based sauce

http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/

Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)

Smell/Aroma
A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
about the combination of these fine flavors.

Consistency
Excellent movement in the bottle. If this sauce was a beer, it would be
a Guinness. If it were a salsa it would be the chunky stuff. The warning
on the label says it all -

SHAKE WELL BEFORE EACH USE.
SEPARATION IS NORMAL.

This isn’t overstated, it’s simply fact that there’s enough salts and
spices and specks floating around in the bottle to figure you are
tasting something good, and real. It clings to the meat well, and in the
case of my chicken and pork chops, it really did the trick clinging to
the poultry and the pig.

Before Cooking Flavor
I dipped in a finger and pulled out a winner and it was more
finger-licking good than anything that cheesy fried chicken chain could
offer (although I do enjoy the KFC potato wedges). Mustardy sweet, with
strong garlic/onion tinge and with enough Worcestershire to make for
something a bit more complex. Worcestershire with its usually present
helping of anchovies, effectively offlimits my wife, who’s been a
vegetarian for about 15 years straight. Sometimes she tastes with me,
but usually not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:01:13 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/
>
> Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)
>
> Smell/Aroma
> A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
> describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
> about the combination of these fine flavors.

Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
stores don't stock it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2013 10:43 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:01:13 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
>

>> http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/
>>
>> Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)
>>
>> Smell/Aroma
>> A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
>> describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
>> about the combination of these fine flavors.

> Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
> compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
> stores don't stock it?

Not entirely, and really I think ordering it from them is the way to go at:

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html

Having said that, and if you're chemist for a night:

Soybean Oil, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Prepared Mustard (various
sub ingredients), Worcestershire Sauce (various sub ingreidents), Salt,
Spices, Xanthum Gum.

This could be hacked, but honestly their product is so superior that I
simply order it and enjoy.

On the mass market end Target has a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce that's a
bit more bold in flavor, but obviously cheaper.

Not bad, like it too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:51:31 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 6/25/2013 10:43 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:01:13 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
> >

> >> http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/
> >>
> >> Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)
> >>
> >> Smell/Aroma
> >> A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
> >> describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
> >> about the combination of these fine flavors.

> > Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
> > compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
> > stores don't stock it?
> >

> Not entirely, and really I think ordering it from them is the way to go at:
>
> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
>
> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>
> Having said that, and if you're chemist for a night:
>
> Soybean Oil, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Prepared Mustard (various
> sub ingredients), Worcestershire Sauce (various sub ingreidents), Salt,
> Spices, Xanthum Gum.
>
> This could be hacked, but honestly their product is so superior that I
> simply order it and enjoy.
>
> On the mass market end Target has a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce that's a
> bit more bold in flavor, but obviously cheaper.
>
> Not bad, like it too.

Thanks. I see why they call it "Carolina" and don't qualify it since
sugar is the second ingredient after oil. I might like it, but real
"Carolinians" would recoil in absolute horror... be they from North,
Mid or South. Giving you recipes found on Google to reference - taken
from the top of the various lists.

Eastern North Carolina
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern...ina-bbq-sauce/
(and more Seriously)
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...gar-sauce.html

Lexington (aka: Midland)
http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/B...ngton_dip.html

South Carolina (the mustard belt)
http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...e/default.aspx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2013 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:51:31 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

>>> Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
>>> compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
>>> stores don't stock it?
>>>

>> Not entirely, and really I think ordering it from them is the way to go at:
>>
>> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
>>
>> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>>
>> Having said that, and if you're chemist for a night:
>>
>> Soybean Oil, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Prepared Mustard (various
>> sub ingredients), Worcestershire Sauce (various sub ingreidents), Salt,
>> Spices, Xanthum Gum.
>>
>> This could be hacked, but honestly their product is so superior that I
>> simply order it and enjoy.
>>
>> On the mass market end Target has a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce that's a
>> bit more bold in flavor, but obviously cheaper.
>>
>> Not bad, like it too.

> Thanks. I see why they call it "Carolina" and don't qualify it since
> sugar is the second ingredient after oil. I might like it, but real
> "Carolinians" would recoil in absolute horror... be they from North,
> Mid or South.

No disagreement there, noting this is a house sauce from an Austin,
Texas restaurant, so consider it an expat-regional variant.

I'll vouch for the sauce though, it's got a wonderful balanced taste.

> Giving you recipes found on Google to reference - taken
> from the top of the various lists.
>
> Eastern North Carolina
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern...ina-bbq-sauce/

That's a bit of a western variant iirc, the use of a hot sauce and not
mustard trends more to the center side of the state.

> (and more Seriously)
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...gar-sauce.html

More traditional given the crushed red pepper instead of the tabasco sauce.

> Lexington (aka: Midland)
> http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/B...ngton_dip.html

Now that's 100% West Carolina for sure, given the ketchup.

> South Carolina (the mustard belt)
> http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...e/default.aspx

There we go, and that's a fine recipe for sure on the mustard sauce!

Apparently the proximity of apple orchards is the key in determining
local preference.

Break out the cider and mustard - party on!

Awesome recipe links, thank you very much.