Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default One superb mustard-based sauce

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:51:31 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

> On 6/25/2013 10:43 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:01:13 -0600, casa bona > wrote:
> >

> >> http://www.bbqsaucereviews.com/salt-...-que-sauce-55/
> >>
> >> Salt Lick Original Recipe Bar-B-Que Sauce (5/5)
> >>
> >> Smell/Aroma
> >> A nice natural sweet mustard smell with a hint of mystery. I’d almost
> >> describe it as Drunken Mustard… there’s something mildly intoxicating
> >> about the combination of these fine flavors.

> > Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
> > compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
> > stores don't stock it?
> >

> Not entirely, and really I think ordering it from them is the way to go at:
>
> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
>
> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>
> Having said that, and if you're chemist for a night:
>
> Soybean Oil, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Prepared Mustard (various
> sub ingredients), Worcestershire Sauce (various sub ingreidents), Salt,
> Spices, Xanthum Gum.
>
> This could be hacked, but honestly their product is so superior that I
> simply order it and enjoy.
>
> On the mass market end Target has a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce that's a
> bit more bold in flavor, but obviously cheaper.
>
> Not bad, like it too.

Thanks. I see why they call it "Carolina" and don't qualify it since
sugar is the second ingredient after oil. I might like it, but real
"Carolinians" would recoil in absolute horror... be they from North,
Mid or South. Giving you recipes found on Google to reference - taken
from the top of the various lists.

Eastern North Carolina
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern...ina-bbq-sauce/
(and more Seriously)