Posted to rec.food.cooking
casa bona casa bona is offline

Default One superb mustard-based sauce

On 6/25/2013 11:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 22:51:31 -0600, casa bona > wrote:

>>> Assuming this is a North Carolina style sauce although "sweet" doesn't
>>> compute... do you have a copy cat recipe for those whose grocery
>>> stores don't stock it?
>>>

>> Not entirely, and really I think ordering it from them is the way to go at:
>>
>> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/
>>
>> http://www.saltlickbbq.com/products/...ottles%29.html
>>
>> Having said that, and if you're chemist for a night:
>>
>> Soybean Oil, Cane Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Prepared Mustard (various
>> sub ingredients), Worcestershire Sauce (various sub ingreidents), Salt,
>> Spices, Xanthum Gum.
>>
>> This could be hacked, but honestly their product is so superior that I
>> simply order it and enjoy.
>>
>> On the mass market end Target has a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce that's a
>> bit more bold in flavor, but obviously cheaper.
>>
>> Not bad, like it too.

> Thanks. I see why they call it "Carolina" and don't qualify it since
> sugar is the second ingredient after oil. I might like it, but real
> "Carolinians" would recoil in absolute horror... be they from North,
> Mid or South.

No disagreement there, noting this is a house sauce from an Austin,
Texas restaurant, so consider it an expat-regional variant.

I'll vouch for the sauce though, it's got a wonderful balanced taste.

> Giving you recipes found on Google to reference - taken
> from the top of the various lists.
>
> Eastern North Carolina
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eastern...ina-bbq-sauce/

That's a bit of a western variant iirc, the use of a hot sauce and not
mustard trends more to the center side of the state.

> (and more Seriously)
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...gar-sauce.html

More traditional given the crushed red pepper instead of the tabasco sauce.

> Lexington (aka: Midland)
> http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/B...ngton_dip.html

Now that's 100% West Carolina for sure, given the ketchup.

> South Carolina (the mustard belt)
> http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com...e/default.aspx

There we go, and that's a fine recipe for sure on the mustard sauce!

Apparently the proximity of apple orchards is the key in determining
local preference.

Break out the cider and mustard - party on!

Awesome recipe links, thank you very much.