Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili Sauce

On 4/14/2013 9:29 PM, gregz wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>
> Greg

Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 15, 2013 5:20:16 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "jay" > wrote in message

> > In article >,

> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> >> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to

> >> try

> >> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,

> >> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can

> >> use

> >> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.

> >> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can

> >> it.

> >> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the

> >> canning

> >> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are

> >> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> > You're making sweet tomatoes not chili sauce. Regardless of your

> > definition of "chili sauce" .. some kind of chili should be present in

> > the recipe.

> > jay

**** says what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/13 2:57 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:20:48 -0400, "pavane" > wrote:
>>
>>> nor shepherd in shepherd's pie.

>> Nor would one be expected. That apostrophe says the pie belongs to
>> the shepherd, not that it contains one.

> no ham in a hamburger...

The name is from the city of Hamburg, not any part of the pig.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/13 3:11 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> It's more correctly called Welsh Rarebit. However, I agree that
> colloquially one usually hears Welsh rabbit.

Bzzzzt!

From Wikipedia:

"The first recorded use of the term Welsh rabbit was in 1725..."

"The word rarebit is a corruption of rabbit, "Welsh rabbit" being first
recorded in 1725 and the variant "Welsh rarebit" being first recorded in
1785 by Francis Grose."

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> > no ham in a hamburger...

> The name is from the city of Hamburg, not any part of the pig.

No! Really? That's astonishing. Thank you SO MUCH for clearing that up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:57:49 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.

It's a condiment. What recipes do you see that call for it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 4/14/2013 9:29 PM, gregz wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>>> try
>>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can
>>> use
>>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this
>>> works.
>>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can
>>> it.
>>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the
>>> canning
>>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

>> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>>
>> Greg

> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce
>
> Becca

Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>>>
>>> Greg

>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce
>>
>> Becca

> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
> ketchup.

heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic powder

Posted to rec.food.cooking

tert in seattle > wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:

-snip-

>> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
>> ketchup.

>heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
>lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic powder

Heinz chili sauce is chili sauce in name only. I make my own, but
there is a 'Gourmet chili' [I think that's the brand name] that I have
used as a substitute. It is more like relish than ketchup, and has
lots of green [pepper and celery] visible, though the tomatoes are in
there, too.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:52:26 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I make my own, but
> there is a 'Gourmet chili' [I think that's the brand name] that I have
> used as a substitute. It is more like relish than ketchup, and has
> lots of green [pepper and celery] visible, though the tomatoes are in
> there, too.

I'm interested in the real name. Tried googling Gourmet brand chili
sauce and got zip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 04/15/2013 08:32 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
>> ketchup.

> heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
> lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic powder

If you're thinking about canning your own chili sauce, you should look
at this classic recipe from the University of Georgia National Center
for Home Food Preservation:

Spicy Chili Sauce

Ingredients:
4 quarts peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes (about 24 large)
2 cups chopped onions
1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. celery seed
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 to 1 1/2 cups vinegar (5%)

Directions (for hot pack):
Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer until as thick as
desired, about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.

Pour hot sauce into clean, hot half pint or about six pint jars, leaving
1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process 15 to 20
minutes in a Boiling Water Bath (212°F).

Boiling Water Bath:
Place jars in canning kettle. Cover with water to 1" above the lids.
Bring to a boil and boil for 20 to 25 minutes. Use a timer.

Makes about 6 pint jars.

From http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ga_can_tom.pdf, top of
page 10.

There are no chile peppers in this and it uses mostly sweet spices. It
takes a couple hours to cook down to where it's thick enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 04/15/2013 08:32 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
>>> ketchup.

>> heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
>> lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic powder
>>

> If you're thinking about canning your own chili sauce, you should look
> at this classic recipe from the University of Georgia National Center
> for Home Food Preservation:
>

> Spicy Chili Sauce
>
> Ingredients:
> 4 quarts peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes (about 24 large)
> 2 cups chopped onions
> 1 1/2 to 2 cups chopped sweet green peppers (about 3 medium)
> 1 1/2 cups sugar
> 1 Tbsp. salt
> 1 Tbsp. celery seed
> 1 tsp. ground allspice
> 1 tsp. ground cloves
> 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
> 1 tsp. ground ginger
> 1 to 1 1/2 cups vinegar (5%)
>
> Directions (for hot pack):
> Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer until as thick as
> desired, about 1 to 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
>
> Pour hot sauce into clean, hot half pint or about six pint jars, leaving
> 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process 15 to 20
> minutes in a Boiling Water Bath (212?F).
>
> Boiling Water Bath:
> Place jars in canning kettle. Cover with water to 1" above the lids.
> Bring to a boil and boil for 20 to 25 minutes. Use a timer.
>
> Makes about 6 pint jars.
>
> From http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publication...ga_can_tom.pdf, top of
> page 10.
>
> There are no chile peppers in this and it uses mostly sweet spices. It
> takes a couple hours to cook down to where it's thick enough.

interesting ... I can see how this would be good on meatloaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 8:05 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:57:49 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>

>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.

> It's a condiment. What recipes do you see that call for it?

I have seen chili sauce in a recipe for sweet & sour meatballs. Tabasco
does not sound like it would work, neither does salsa. People say Heinz
makes it.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 9:45 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce
>>
>> Becca

> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
> ketchup.

Thank you, Julie.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/2013 10:32 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Ema Nymton" > wrote in message

>>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Trappeys-Peppe...s=pepper+sauce
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
>> ketchup.

> heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
> lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic powder

Someone told me that Heinz made it. You could add your own garlic powder
to ketchup and you would not have to buy chili sauce. Thanks.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2013 8:05 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:57:49 -0500, Ema Nymton >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Do not know about her, but I am trying to figure it out. I see it in
>>> recipes and I wonder if they sell it here. I was raised with Tabasco
>>> sauce and vinegar with tabascos in it.

>> It's a condiment. What recipes do you see that call for it?

> I have seen chili sauce in a recipe for sweet & sour meatballs. Tabasco
> does not sound like it would work, neither does salsa. People say Heinz
> makes it.
>
> Becca

I don't care for the Heinz so much. It tastes pretty much like ketchup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2013 10:32 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Tabasco is nothing at all like chili sauce. Chili sauce is more like
>>> ketchup.

>> heinz chili sauce and heinz ketchup have almost identical ingredient
>> lists -- the only difference I saw was the chili sauce lists garlic
>> powder

> Someone told me that Heinz made it. You could add your own garlic powder
> to ketchup and you would not have to buy chili sauce. Thanks.
>
> Becca

The Homade that I really like does taste different. I see that it has red
bell peppers in it. Not sure what else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person > wrote:

> It's more correctly called Welsh Rarebit. However, I agree that
> colloquially one usually hears Welsh rabbit.

This matter has been discussed on rfc since about forever. Here is an
example:
<http://groups.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/msg/a4e3ad9cac7e7730>

There are also English, Scotch, and Irish "rabbits".

Victor