Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chili Sauce

Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice.

That sounds a little plain to me but it might be what you like. I've
actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that provides.
Chili sauce normally (?) contains some heat too....chili peppers of some
sort. When I want to try something new, I usually look at *several*
recipes, pick and choose ingredients, and my final result is often a
combination of many. You might have to try several times to get exactly what
you love. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good mix.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>> try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice.

> That sounds a little plain to me but it might be what you like. I've
> actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that
> provides.
> Chili sauce normally (?) contains some heat too....chili peppers of some
> sort. When I want to try something new, I usually look at *several*
> recipes, pick and choose ingredients, and my final result is often a
> combination of many. You might have to try several times to get exactly
> what
> you love. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good mix.

My preferred brand is the HoMade. I don't think it has any heat to it. It
is sweet.

I've used allspice a lot. It's sort of like a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and
clove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 02:04:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Have you ever made your own?

Yes.

>What do you put in it?

I've posted the recipe here in the past and I'm pretty sure you also
participated in the thread. I like what I make, but I don't like the
work of preparing all those tomatoes and other vegetables; nor do I
like the canning process or storing all those jars.

Conclusion: I buy Homade brand chili sauce because it's the commercial
sauce that I like best. It may not be Grandma's, but it's close
enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 05:43:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I've
> actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that provides.

Allspice is nutmeg light. I use it in place of nutmeg, which
(everyone knows by now) I think ruins the flavor of anything it
touches - no matter how little is used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:03:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
> >> try
> >> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
> >> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice.

> > That sounds a little plain to me but it might be what you like. I've
> > actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that
> > provides.
> > Chili sauce normally (?) contains some heat too....chili peppers of some
> > sort. When I want to try something new, I usually look at *several*
> > recipes, pick and choose ingredients, and my final result is often a
> > combination of many. You might have to try several times to get exactly
> > what
> > you love. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good mix.

> My preferred brand is the HoMade. I don't think it has any heat to it. It
> is sweet.

It's not supposed to be hot. I have absolutely NO idea why it's
called chili sauce when it has bell peppers. Maybe it's the American
translation of some traditional European recipe. It seems like
everything is a pepper when I find internet recipes, so matter how
sweet or hot the peppers are supposed to be. Reading those computer
translated recipes when peppers are involved is a big guessing game
for me and I usually end up giving up (unless I know someone who
speaks the language and can tell me what it really says).

> I've used allspice a lot. It's sort of like a mix of cinnamon, nutmeg and
> clove.

I *love* allspice and even though it's actually the membrane that
surrounds the nutmeg itself, I like mace too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:03:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>>> try
>>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice.

>> That sounds a little plain to me but it might be what you like. I've
>> actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that
>> provides.
>> Chili sauce normally (?) contains some heat too....chili peppers of some
>> sort. When I want to try something new, I usually look at *several*
>> recipes, pick and choose ingredients, and my final result is often a
>> combination of many. You might have to try several times to get exactly
>> what
>> you love. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good mix.

>My prefer red brand is the HoMade.

Shouldn't that be HoeMaid?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy bottled chile sauce, and doctor it
to suit. And there are many no sugar added chili sauces out the
http://organicvillefoods.com/product...c-chili-sauce/
And lots of no sugar recipes:
http://www.gfedge.com/2011/10/thai-s...auce-low-carb/

I don't like any of the brands of bottled chili sauce, every one I've
tried is sickening sweet slop with lots of chems. I always make my
own... and how does one define chili sauce anyway... varieties are
infinite. If you have a blender you can make chili sauce... I don't
add sugar per se, I use fresh fruit for sweetening... red seedless
grapes are a fine sweetener, but can use an apple, a plum, a peach,
whatever is in season, even watermelon... and in summer I always have
a glut of vine ripened tomatoes, hot peppers, and other veggies...
I'll make up a big bowl of fresh salsa and puree some with whatever
additions I feel like at the moment for basting. I think uncooked
sauce works better for basting too, less chance of burning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/04/2013 12:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I don't like any of the brands of bottled chili sauce, every one I've
> tried is sickening sweet slop with lots of chems. I always make my
> own... and how does one define chili sauce anyway... varieties are
> infinite. If you have a blender you can make chili sauce... I don't
> add sugar per se, I use fresh fruit for sweetening... red seedless
> grapes are a fine sweetener, but can use an apple, a plum, a peach,
> whatever is in season, even watermelon... and in summer I always have
> a glut of vine ripened tomatoes, hot peppers, and other veggies...
> I'll make up a big bowl of fresh salsa and puree some with whatever
> additions I feel like at the moment for basting. I think uncooked
> sauce works better for basting too, less chance of burning.

I have never had a decent commercially made chili sauce either. There
is a local company that makes decent quality jams and jellies and also
make chili sauce. The jams are pretty good. The chili is not as horrible
as most of the other commercial types, but ita far cry from the home
made stuff I grew up on.

I don't use it enough to bother to make my own but I have a SiL who puts
it on just about everything. so she makes it and gives me a jar or two
each year. My oldest brother also makes it, but. frankly, his his not
very good. It is always way to watery.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:24:11 UTC+10, sf wrote:

> I *love* allspice and even though it's actually the membrane that
> surrounds the nutmeg itself, I like mace too.

Allspice is a New World spice, nothing to do with nutmeg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice

Also called pimento/pimenta, but these names are used for other very different things too, so "allspice" is the safer name to use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:12:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 14/04/2013 12:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

>> I don't like any of the brands of bottled chili sauce, every one I've
>> tried is sickening sweet slop with lots of chems. I always make my
>> own... and how does one define chili sauce anyway... varieties are
>> infinite. If you have a blender you can make chili sauce... I don't
>> add sugar per se, I use fresh fruit for sweetening... red seedless
>> grapes are a fine sweetener, but can use an apple, a plum, a peach,
>> whatever is in season, even watermelon... and in summer I always have
>> a glut of vine ripened tomatoes, hot peppers, and other veggies...
>> I'll make up a big bowl of fresh salsa and puree some with whatever
>> additions I feel like at the moment for basting. I think uncooked
>> sauce works better for basting too, less chance of burning.
>>

>I have never had a decent commercially made chili sauce either. There
>is a local company that makes decent quality jams and jellies and also
>make chili sauce. The jams are pretty good. The chili is not as horrible
>as most of the other commercial types, but ita far cry from the home
>made stuff I grew up on.
>
>I don't use it enough to bother to make my own but I have a SiL who puts
>it on just about everything. so she makes it and gives me a jar or two
>each year. My oldest brother also makes it, but. frankly, his his not
>very good. It is always way to watery.

I make it every year from the recipe in the old Better Homes & Gardens
cookbook. There's (I think) 12-14 pounds of tomatoes, 4 cups each of
diced onions, celery, and sweet peppers, a pound or so of brown sugar,
several cups of cider vinegar, salt, and assorted spices.

I think the secret is to make sure you scoop out as much of the liquid
as possible after you get the tomatoes cooking. The recipe says to
remove 7 cups of liquid, but I aim for more than that.

I grow enough tomatoes, onions, and peppers to make this, so it
doesn't cost me too much.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 02:04:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever made your own?

> Yes.
>
>>What do you put in it?

> I've posted the recipe here in the past and I'm pretty sure you also
> participated in the thread. I like what I make, but I don't like the
> work of preparing all those tomatoes and other vegetables; nor do I
> like the canning process or storing all those jars.
>
> Conclusion: I buy Homade brand chili sauce because it's the commercial
> sauce that I like best. It may not be Grandma's, but it's close
> enough.

I love that stuff but right now I want to save some money. I need to see
what all of the ingredients are in it. I did see that it has red bell
peppers. I'll have to try to put some of those in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 05:43:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> I've
>> actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that
>> provides.

> Allspice is nutmeg light. I use it in place of nutmeg, which
> (everyone knows by now) I think ruins the flavor of anything it
> touches - no matter how little is used.

I hate nutmeg!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:03:31 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> That sounds a little plain to me but it might be what you like. I've
>>> actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that
>>> provides.
>>> Chili sauce normally (?) contains some heat too....chili peppers of some
>>> sort. When I want to try something new, I usually look at *several*
>>> recipes, pick and choose ingredients, and my final result is often a
>>> combination of many. You might have to try several times to get exactly
>>> what
>>> you love. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good mix.

>>My prefer red brand is the HoMade.

> Shouldn't that be HoeMaid?
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy bottled chile sauce, and doctor it
> to suit. And there are many no sugar added chili sauces out the
> http://organicvillefoods.com/product...c-chili-sauce/
> And lots of no sugar recipes:
> http://www.gfedge.com/2011/10/thai-s...auce-low-carb/
>
> I don't like any of the brands of bottled chili sauce, every one I've
> tried is sickening sweet slop with lots of chems. I always make my
> own... and how does one define chili sauce anyway... varieties are
> infinite. If you have a blender you can make chili sauce... I don't
> add sugar per se, I use fresh fruit for sweetening... red seedless
> grapes are a fine sweetener, but can use an apple, a plum, a peach,
> whatever is in season, even watermelon... and in summer I always have
> a glut of vine ripened tomatoes, hot peppers, and other veggies...
> I'll make up a big bowl of fresh salsa and puree some with whatever
> additions I feel like at the moment for basting. I think uncooked
> sauce works better for basting too, less chance of burning.

Simpler, yes. Cheaper? No. I already have all of the ingredients.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:12:37 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 14/04/2013 12:51 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>

>>> I don't like any of the brands of bottled chili sauce, every one I've
>>> tried is sickening sweet slop with lots of chems. I always make my
>>> own... and how does one define chili sauce anyway... varieties are
>>> infinite. If you have a blender you can make chili sauce... I don't
>>> add sugar per se, I use fresh fruit for sweetening... red seedless
>>> grapes are a fine sweetener, but can use an apple, a plum, a peach,
>>> whatever is in season, even watermelon... and in summer I always have
>>> a glut of vine ripened tomatoes, hot peppers, and other veggies...
>>> I'll make up a big bowl of fresh salsa and puree some with whatever
>>> additions I feel like at the moment for basting. I think uncooked
>>> sauce works better for basting too, less chance of burning.
>>>

>>I have never had a decent commercially made chili sauce either. There
>>is a local company that makes decent quality jams and jellies and also
>>make chili sauce. The jams are pretty good. The chili is not as horrible
>>as most of the other commercial types, but ita far cry from the home
>>made stuff I grew up on.
>>
>>I don't use it enough to bother to make my own but I have a SiL who puts
>>it on just about everything. so she makes it and gives me a jar or two
>>each year. My oldest brother also makes it, but. frankly, his his not
>>very good. It is always way to watery.

> I make it every year from the recipe in the old Better Homes & Gardens
> cookbook. There's (I think) 12-14 pounds of tomatoes, 4 cups each of
> diced onions, celery, and sweet peppers, a pound or so of brown sugar,
> several cups of cider vinegar, salt, and assorted spices.
>
> I think the secret is to make sure you scoop out as much of the liquid
> as possible after you get the tomatoes cooking. The recipe says to
> remove 7 cups of liquid, but I aim for more than that.
>
> I grow enough tomatoes, onions, and peppers to make this, so it
> doesn't cost me too much.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:00:35 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:24:11 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> >
> > I *love* allspice and even though it's actually the membrane that
> > surrounds the nutmeg itself, I like mace too.

> Allspice is a New World spice, nothing to do with nutmeg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice
>
> Also called pimento/pimenta, but these names are used for other very different things too, so "allspice" is the safer name to use.

I said mace is related to nutmeg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:11:57 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 05:43:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> > I've

> > actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that provides.

> Allspice is nutmeg light. I use it in place of nutmeg, which
>
> (everyone knows by now) I think ruins the flavor of anything it
>
> touches - no matter how little is used.

I agree.. Allspice has uses. I added some extra to my corned beef boil a few days ago, along with extra bay leaf (powdered) and lots of extra crushed red pepper.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, 15 April 2013 08:59:02 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> Timo wrote:
> > On Monday, 15 April 2013 01:24:11 UTC+10, sf wrote:
> > >
> > > I *love* allspice and even though it's actually the membrane that
> > > surrounds the nutmeg itself, I like mace too.

> > Allspice is a New World spice, nothing to do with nutmeg: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice
> >
> > Also called pimento/pimenta, but these names are used for other very different things too, so "allspice" is the safer name to use.

> I said mace is related to nutmeg.

Indeed. I blame early-morning pre-coffee mis-parsing. (It was really mid-coffee, not pre-coffee.)

What do you use mace for? I use so little, I usually have none in the house. Will keep nutmeg around, but rarely use it either. Allspice is a Caribbean standard, and I use much more of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:36:54 -0700 (PDT), Timo
> wrote:

> What do you use mace for? I use so little, I usually have none in the house. Will keep nutmeg around, but rarely use it either. Allspice is a Caribbean standard, and I use much more of it.

You're right about the allspice, I use it "just because" too.

Looking at my recipe file, I have quite a few that call for mace...
but most of them have been one time only or the "will do someday"
type. If you make sausage, it's one of the spices in
Nurnberg/Nuremberg Sausage.

Here are two recipes I made and portioned out as one of a collection
of spice mixes I made for family members one Christmas.

Beau Monde Seasoning Mix
By Peggy Trowbridge Filippone, About.com Guide

Makes: about 1/2 cup

Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon salt
1 Tablespoon ground bay leaves
2 Tablespoons ground white pepper
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon ground mace
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 Tablespoon ground cloves

Preparation:
Combine salt, bay leaves, white pepper, black pepper, nutmeg,
cinnamon, allspice, mace, celery seed, and cloves.

Pour into a glass jar and store in a cool, dark place.

Beau monde is a great seasoning mix for poultry, fish, beef,
vegetables, and sauces.

14 Spice Dry Rub Mix
http://www.theyummylife.com/dry_rub_mix#EmbedRecipe_69

Ingredients

1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons cup salt (or reduce the amount)
1/4 cup paprika (sweet Hungarian)
1/4 cup smoked paprika (Spanish)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 tablespoon celery salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon rubbed dried sage
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions

Spread brown sugar out on a baking sheet for 1-2 hours so it can dry
out and avoid clumping. Combine all ingredients in a food processor
and pulse until well mixed. Or, sift the ingredients into a bowl and
whisk them until mixed.

Store in airtight container.

TO USE: Sprinkle dry rub mix on all sides of the meat (chicken, beef,
or pork) and rub it in. If you have time, wrap or cover the meat and
refrigerate it for 1 hour (or as long as 12 hours) before cooking. The
fridge time will enhance the flavor, but it's also good if you cook
the meat right away. Grill, pan fry, or bake the meat according to
your preference. Also good for seasoning meat in slow cooker.

VARIATIONS:
--For a spicier blend, use hot chili powder (rather than mild) and
more cayenne, cumin, black pepper.
--For a sweeter blend, increase the allspice, cloves, mace, and brown
sugar.
--For a smokier blend, omit the sweet paprika and substitute all
smoked paprika.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 16:26:06 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

> On Sunday, April 14, 2013 10:11:57 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 05:43:06 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > I've actually never used allspice so I don't even know what flavor that provides.

> > Allspice is nutmeg light. I use it in place of nutmeg, which
> >
> > (everyone knows by now) I think ruins the flavor of anything it
> >
> > touches - no matter how little is used.
> >

> I agree.. Allspice has uses. I added some extra to my corned beef boil a few days ago, along with extra bay leaf (powdered) and lots of extra crushed red pepper.

Did you buy an extra one too? I think I'll make my extra this week.
What I do isn't add more of one component of "pickling spices", I just
add more of everything and keep a bottle on hand specifically for
corned beef. What I hope I remember is not to add any before my
corned beef comes to a boil this time because of all the yucky protein
foam I want to remove before I let it simmer for as many hours as it
takes for it to cook and tenderize. Because I normally only cook
corned beef once a year, it seems like I *always* forget that part
until it happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:55:42 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> [...]

> Store in airtight container.
>

> TO USE: Sprinkle dry rub mix on all sides of the meat (chicken, beef,
>
> or pork) and rub it in. If you have time, wrap or cover the meat and
>
> refrigerate it for 1 hour (or as long as 12 hours) before cooking. The
>
> fridge time will enhance the flavor, but it's also good if you cook
>
> the meat right away. Grill, pan fry, or bake the meat according to
>
> your preference. Also good for seasoning meat in slow cooker.
>

> VARIATIONS:
>
> --For a spicier blend, use hot chili powder (rather than mild) and
>
> more cayenne, cumin, black pepper.
>
> --For a sweeter blend, increase the allspice, cloves, mace, and brown
>
> sugar.
>
> --For a smokier blend, omit the sweet paprika and substitute all
>
> smoked paprika.
>
> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Those two recipes for the spice mixes look good...thanks for posting them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gregz" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>> try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can
>> use
>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can
>> it.
>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the
>> canning
>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?

I top my meatloaf with it. But it was popular for something in the old days
because people canned tons of it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>
> Greg

I'm wondering what all this talk of tomatoes is about

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> gregz wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>>> try
>>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can
>>> use
>>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this
>>> works.
>>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can
>>> it.
>>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the
>>> canning
>>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

>> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>>
>> Greg

> I'm wondering what all this talk of tomatoes is about

Chili sauce is made of tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:37:48 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

> Those two recipes for the spice mixes look good...thanks for posting them.

You're very welcome!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 02:29:34 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> > Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
> > making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
> > brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
> > the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
> > And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
> > Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
> > equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
> > acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>
> Greg

Oh, come on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "tert in seattle" > wrote in message
>> gregz wrote:
>>>
>>> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>>>
>>> Greg

>> I'm wondering what all this talk of tomatoes is about

> Chili sauce is made of tomatoes.

aha ... that would explain it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 02:29:34 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> > Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to try
>> > making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> > brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can use
>> > the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> > And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can it.
>> > Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the canning
>> > equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> > acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

>> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?
>>
>> Greg

> Oh, come on.

it's for ultimate party meatballs!

http://www.heinzchilisauce.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/15/13 2:02 AM, tert in seattle wrote:
> it's for ultimate party meatballs!

No -- that's a mixture of barbeque sauce and grape jelly.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14/04/2013 10:29 PM, gregz wrote:

> Still trying to figure what chili sauce is used for. ?

It is a condiment for meats. It is great with roast beef or meatloaf, on
sandwiches. My SiL loves the stuff and has it with eggs. It is
basically tomatoes, onion, green peppers, celery, cooked up with various
spices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 09:35:47 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> My SiL loves the stuff and has it with eggs

Yes! I always use it as an accompaniment to my meat & potato skillet
frittata (only, I don't call it that... it's called a torta at my
house).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 08:55:29 -0500, jay > wrote:

> You're making sweet tomatoes not chili sauce. Regardless of your
> definition of "chili sauce" .. some kind of chili should be present in
> the recipe.

Wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 1:14*pm, jay > wrote:

> ahahaha *.. the chili/e discussion has replayed here maybe 500 times in
> the last 10 to 15 years (YAWN) *Since you are a newbie you wouldn't know
> of course.
>
> jay

How about Voodoo Chile by JImi Hendrix?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:20:48 -0400, "pavane" > wrote:

> nor shepherd in shepherd's pie.

Nor would one be expected. That apostrophe says the pie belongs to
the shepherd, not that it contains one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 14:20:48 -0400, "pavane" > wrote:
>
>> nor shepherd in shepherd's pie.

> Nor would one be expected. That apostrophe says the pie belongs to
> the shepherd, not that it contains one.

no ham in a hamburger ... but there is spam in a spamburger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 15, 2:20*pm, "pavane" > wrote:

> Nor rabbit in welsh rabbit, nor shepherd in shepherd's pie.
>
> pavane

It's more correctly called Welsh Rarebit. However, I agree that
colloquially one usually hears Welsh rabbit.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person wrote:
> On Apr 15, 2:20 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>>
>> Nor rabbit in welsh rabbit, nor shepherd in shepherd's pie.
>>
>> pavane

> It's more correctly called Welsh Rarebit. However, I agree that
> colloquially one usually hears Welsh rabbit.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Shouldn't you post that to rec.food.uk ?
As far as I know, the battle about rabbit/rarebit still goes on in the
UK ;-)

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>> try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can
>> use
>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can
>> it.
>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the
>> canning
>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> You're making sweet tomatoes not chili sauce. Regardless of your
> definition of "chili sauce" .. some kind of chili should be present in
> the recipe.
>
> jay

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Have you ever made your own? What do you put in it? I have decided to
>> try
>> making my own. Found a recipe that calls quite simply for tomato sauce,
>> brown sugar, vinegar and allspice. I have all of these things and I can
>> use
>> the brown sugar/Splenda mix to cut the carbs further. I hope this works.
>> And the recipe is in a small enough proportion that I won't need to can
>> it.
>> Although technically I could can chili sauce since I have all of the
>> canning
>> equipment. I presume that I can do this in a HWB. Since tomatoes are
>> acidic. The only things I have tried to can so far are fruit.

> You're making sweet tomatoes not chili sauce. Regardless of your
> definition of "chili sauce" .. some kind of chili should be present in
> the recipe.

I don't think so. I have looked up recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> On 15-Apr-2013, tert in seattle > wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:

>> > Nor would one be expected. That apostrophe says the pie belongs to
>> > the shepherd, not that it contains one.

>> no ham in a hamburger ... but there is spam in a spamburger

> And, according to popular wisdom, there are no dogs in hot dogs.

nor any french people in french fries