Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quick and easy "soda bread"

At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread using
3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can of ginger
ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter. Anyone ever done
this?

Sharon in Ontario Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 10:48 AM, Sharon wrote:
> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread
> using 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can
> of ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter.
> Anyone ever done this?
>
> Sharon in Ontario Canada

Sorry, no. Easy for the kids, no doubt, but definitely not what I know
as soda bread.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 9:48 AM, Sharon wrote:
> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread
> using 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can
> of ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter.
> Anyone ever done this?
>
> Sharon in Ontario Canada

I don't think that using a can of soda to make a quick bread allows one
to name it "soda bread" :-) That's another thing altogether.

You can make your recipe even better by ditching the crap-loaded pancake
mix and using 3 cups of self-rising flour instead.

My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
Allow to cool before slicing.

This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

I have dressed it up with a sugar and cinnamon topping and called it
"coffee cake" or added herbs and cheeses. Very versatile recipe.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
b.com...

On 3/10/2013 9:48 AM, Sharon wrote:
> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread
> using 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can
> of ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter.
> Anyone ever done this?
>
> Sharon in Ontario Canada

I don't think that using a can of soda to make a quick bread allows one
to name it "soda bread" :-) That's another thing altogether.
**************
That's why "soda bread" was in quotations. I know what real soda bread is
too. This was a big deal for the kids. The instructions were in the
teacher's lesson book. Just something for the kids to do together. But I
did get a real laugh about the root beer comment. It was from a 7 yr. old
boy who is always outspoken...lol......Sharon

**********************

You can make your recipe even better by ditching the crap-loaded pancake
mix and using 3 cups of self-rising flour instead.

My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
Allow to cool before slicing.

This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

I have dressed it up with a sugar and cinnamon topping and called it
"coffee cake" or added herbs and cheeses. Very versatile recipe.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sharon" > wrote in message
> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread
> using 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can of
> ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter. Anyone
> ever done this?

Real Irish soda bread is hardly any harder to make.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> You can make your recipe even better by ditching the crap-loaded pancake
> mix and using 3 cups of self-rising flour instead.
>
> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
> Allow to cool before slicing.

You can make your beer bread even better by using a malt liquor, like
Mickey's. There's something they have that regular beer doesn't and
the resulting bread is fantastic... kind of cheesy tasting without
adding anything else to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:10:39 -0400, "Sharon" > wrote:

> I don't call it soda bread either, but have been wondering about any
> variations...like currants or raisins. One kid said they should try it with
> root beer...lol... They were sure proud of what they had done. It was
> tasty. Sharon

Maybe "Soda" Bread would have made the play on words more obvious.
Oh, well... you tried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 11:10:39 -0400, "Sharon" > wrote:

> I don't call it soda bread either, but have been wondering about any
> variations...like currants or raisins. One kid said they should try it
> with
> root beer...lol... They were sure proud of what they had done. It was
> tasty. Sharon

Maybe "Soda" Bread would have made the play on words more obvious.
Oh, well... you tried.

Probably...:-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-03-10, Sharon > wrote:

> Maybe "Soda" Bread would have made the play on words more obvious.
> Oh, well... you tried.

Jes bought a loaf of soda bread at our local sprmkt. Probably
un-authentically sweet by old sod wive's stds, but I love it. Got a
corned beef flat, too. Already got cabbage and carrots. Three
guesses what un-authentic meal I'll be enjoying, tonight. My beer is
an IPA. No doubt I'd be strung up from the nearest lampost by the IRA
if in Belfast, but that's the beauty of living in America. We get to
corrupt all those Old World traditions, plus I'm better armed!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:48:37 -0400, Sharon wrote:

> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread using
> 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can of
> ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter. Anyone
> ever done this?

Did they pour the pancake batter into a loaf pan then bake it? I've
never heard of this, but I'm sure the kids were happy and proud to have
something to share with their church family. Maybe they will try it
again at home and get interested in cooking.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
> Allow to cool before slicing.
>
> This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" wrote in message

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:48:37 -0400, Sharon wrote:

> At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread using
> 3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can of
> ginger ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter. Anyone
> ever done this?

Did they pour the pancake batter into a loaf pan then bake it? I've
never heard of this, but I'm sure the kids were happy and proud to have
something to share with their church family. Maybe they will try it
again at home and get interested in cooking.

Tara
********************
It was already done when church service was over. They baked it in a
round cake pan and cut it into wedges. The little guy that wanted to know
if he could do it with root beer was so cute.

Sharon

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon[_7_] View Post
At coffee break after church, the Sunday school made a quick bread using
3 cups of pancake mix, the kind you just add water to, and 1 can of ginger
ale. A little crumbly, but tasty with a bit of butter. Anyone ever done
this? Sharon in Ontario Canada
Made a bunch of it back in the good old days...cept we used beer and called it beer bread for some reason. Was quite the rage among the foodie conesewers in the 70's. What is Ginger Ale..eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 9:28 AM, Tara wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>

>> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
>> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
>> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
>> Allow to cool before slicing.
>>
>> This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

> This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
> a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
> offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
> for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
> profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
>
> Tara

I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
one away!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 11:10*am, "Sharon" > wrote:
> * *I don't call it soda bread either, but have been wondering about any
> variations...like currants or raisins. *One kid said they should try it with
> root beer...lol... *They were sure proud of what they had done. *It was
> tasty. * Sharon

Who knows, he might be a future chef. I've seen worse combinations
made by people who claim to be chefs and everyone oohs and ahhs over
them. Root beer might actually be close to ginger ale once the bread
is baked. Ginger ale gets its flavor from ginger root, and root beer
gets its flavor from different roots or barks of plants. Originally
they used sassafras root but it's been found to be carcinogenic. So
now they use artificial sassafras root flavor plus other flavorings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:16:25 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 3/10/2013 9:28 AM, Tara wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
> >

> >> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
> >> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
> >> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
> >> Allow to cool before slicing.
> >>
> >> This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

> > This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
> > a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
> > offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
> > for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
> > profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
> >
> > Tara
> >

> I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
> about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
> one away!

Just add beer!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 8:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 9:28 AM, Tara wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 10:22:33 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>

>>> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
>>> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
>>> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
>>> Allow to cool before slicing.
>>>
>>> This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.

>> This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
>> a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
>> offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
>> for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
>> profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
>>
>> Tara
>>

> I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
> about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
> one away!

I've seen bags of it going for as high as $7 in fancy "tourist junque"
shops. Perhaps the printing costs and cutsie packaging are high ;-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 5:18 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 15:16:25 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
>>> a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
>>> offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
>>> for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
>>> profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
>> about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
>> one away!

> Just add beer!

Ha ha, it's seems too easy to be true. That's my kind of cooking!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 5:21 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 8:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
>>> a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
>>> offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
>>> for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
>>> profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
>> about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
>> one away!

> I've seen bags of it going for as high as $7 in fancy "tourist junque"
> shops. Perhaps the printing costs and cutsie packaging are high ;-)

I'd be ashamed to sell some self-rising flour and sugar at a $7 price
point. That packaging better have a great story like "The Legend of Ma
Parker's Beer Bread" or some other goofy made-up tale printed on it. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 11:21 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/10/2013 8:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> This is a very nice bread. It smells so good while it is baking. I saw
>>> a lady at a craft fair making a killing selling beer bread mix. She
>>> offered delicious free samples then sold baggies of the dry ingredients
>>> for a pretty penny. Her booth was crowded. It looked like a sizable
>>> profit margin for a baggie of flour and sugar.
>>>
>>> Tara
>>>

>> I like this idea. My guess is that you could sell a bag of this mix for
>> about $3.00 and make a couple of bucks off of each bag. I'll file that
>> one away!

> I've seen bags of it going for as high as $7 in fancy "tourist junque"
> shops. Perhaps the printing costs and cutsie packaging are high ;-)

Got a printer? Get printer labels, create a cute label and slap them on
zip-lock bags.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:35:37 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> I'd be ashamed to sell some self-rising flour and sugar at a $7 price
> point. That packaging better have a great story like "The Legend of Ma
> Parker's Beer Bread" or some other goofy made-up tale printed on it. :-)

Believe it or not, there's a large part of the population for whom
beer bread is a complete mystery and that's where you make your money.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 5:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:35:37 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd be ashamed to sell some self-rising flour and sugar at a $7 price
>> point. That packaging better have a great story like "The Legend of Ma
>> Parker's Beer Bread" or some other goofy made-up tale printed on it. :-)

> Believe it or not, there's a large part of the population for whom
> beer bread is a complete mystery and that's where you make your money.

I've never made beer bread. Normally, I wouldn't be able to make a loaf
because we don't keep beer in the house but someone bought some fancy
dark beer and it's sitting in the fridge. It must be a sign. A
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I've never made beer bread. Normally, I wouldn't be able to make a loaf
> because we don't keep beer in the house but someone bought some fancy
> dark beer and it's sitting in the fridge. It must be a sign. A

I'll bet you've made Spam bread, though. Am I right? I'm right, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 9:31 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I've never made beer bread. Normally, I wouldn't be able to make a loaf
>> because we don't keep beer in the house but someone bought some fancy
>> dark beer and it's sitting in the fridge. It must be a sign. A

> I'll bet you've made Spam bread, though. Am I right? I'm right, right?

Still trolling. Am I right, am I right?

But seriously folks, I have had Spam macadamia nuts. It actually tasted
pretty good but when I realized with it was, a wave of nausea passed
over me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> >> I've never made beer bread.

> > I'll bet you've made Spam bread, though. Am I right? I'm right, right?

> Still trolling. Am I right, am I right?

Not trolling. Just tweaking you.

> But seriously folks, I have had Spam macadamia nuts. It actually tasted
> pretty good but when I realized with it was, a wave of nausea passed
> over me.

Waste of macadamias.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 10:31 AM, George M. Middius wrote:

>>> I'll bet you've made Spam bread, though. Am I right? I'm right, right?

>> Still trolling. Am I right, am I right?

> Not trolling. Just tweaking you.

Human interaction sure is tough, ain't it?

>> But seriously folks, I have had Spam macadamia nuts. It actually tasted
>> pretty good but when I realized with it was, a wave of nausea passed
>> over me.

> Waste of macadamias.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> >> Still trolling. Am I right, am I right?

> > Not trolling. Just tweaking you.

> Human interaction sure is tough, ain't it?

Nonsequitur. Does not compute. New input required.

> >> But seriously folks, I have had Spam macadamia nuts. It actually tasted
> >> pretty good but when I realized with it was, a wave of nausea passed
> >> over me.

> > Waste of macadamias.

OTOH, Spam with pine nuts is a good way to use up two yucky foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 11:09 AM, George M. Middius wrote:

>>> Not trolling. Just tweaking you.

>> Human interaction sure is tough, ain't it?

> Nonsequitur. Does not compute. New input required.

Well OK, here's the data you requested. I'm saying that you feel that
the only way to initiate interaction with others is by making lame
personal remarks (tweaking?) I'm gonna have to ignore you if you feel
the need to do this. Thanks! EOF

>>> Waste of macadamias.

> OTOH, Spam with pine nuts is a good way to use up two yucky foods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 11, 2013 4:31:40 PM UTC-4, George M. Middius wrote:

> > > I'll bet you've made Spam bread, though. Am I right? I'm right, right?

> > Still trolling. Am I right, am I right?

> Not trolling. Just tweaking you.
>

> > But seriously folks, I have had Spam macadamia nuts. It actually tasted

> > pretty good but when I realized with it was, a wave of nausea passed

> > over me.

> Waste of macadamias.

Hey everybody! Look! It's a retard!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>>> Human interaction sure is tough, ain't it?

>> Nonsequitur. Does not compute. New input required.

> Well OK, here's the data you requested. I'm saying that you feel that the
> only way to initiate interaction with others is by making lame personal
> remarks (tweaking?) I'm gonna have to ignore you if you feel the need to
> do this. Thanks! EOF

I've seen this movie - there's a wedding at the end, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> >> Human interaction sure is tough, ain't it?

> > Nonsequitur. Does not compute. New input required.

> Well OK, here's the data you requested. I'm saying that you feel that
> the only way to initiate interaction with others is by making lame
> personal remarks (tweaking?) I'm gonna have to ignore you if you feel
> the need to do this. Thanks! EOF

Not my "only" way, but my favorite way on Usenet.

Also, I wouldn't bother if I agreed with your "lame" judgment. I amuse myself
and at least some others. Besides, to many of us, Hawaiians' continuing
romance with Spam is the epitome of lameness.

Finally, what is "EOF"?

BTW, that wasn't "data". You amplified your original statement so the rest of
us could grasp your meaning.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/11/2013 5:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 23:35:37 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> I'd be ashamed to sell some self-rising flour and sugar at a $7 price
>> point. That packaging better have a great story like "The Legend of Ma
>> Parker's Beer Bread" or some other goofy made-up tale printed on it. :-)

> Believe it or not, there's a large part of the population for whom
> beer bread is a complete mystery and that's where you make your money.

I made some beer bread last night. It's a good recipe except that I'd
add some additional salt. I was shocked when the I poured the beer out.
It was dark brown and looked a little gooey. Holy smokes! I also had to
add some additional water. It was baked in a 9" cake pan and turned out
fine. The bread is kind of bitter but that's not the recipe's fault.
It's a quick bread that tastes like a yeast bread - that's pretty cool.
It'll make a great grilled sandwich on my contact grill.

I really like the self-rising flour. I made some waffles with it this
morning and it does save me time and tastes better than than pancake
mix. It's more of a Southern thing but I guess we qualify as being in
the deep South. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/10/2013 5:22 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I don't think that using a can of soda to make a quick bread allows one
> to name it "soda bread" :-) That's another thing altogether.
>
> You can make your recipe even better by ditching the crap-loaded pancake
> mix and using 3 cups of self-rising flour instead.
>
> My classic "beer bread" recipe is 3 cups of self-rising flour, 2
> tablespoons (more or less to taste) of sugar and a can of beer. Stir it
> together and place in a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 until golden.
> Allow to cool before slicing.
>
> This is a nice dense bread that goes well with a bowl of chili or stew.
>
> I have dressed it up with a sugar and cinnamon topping and called it
> "coffee cake" or added herbs and cheeses. Very versatile recipe.

I made some last night. The beer was some stout which was kind of bitter
so I used a bit of brown sugar to counteract this. It was dressed up
with some cheese and jalapeno peppers and baked in a large frying pan. I
had some this morning and was marveling at how this quick bread is a
dead ringer for a yeast risen recipe. I mixed it a bit longer than I
normally would for a quick bread that gave it a chewy texture which, in
this case, is appropriate. Thanks!