Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth
Default Shane's Veggie Beef Soup

1 lb ground beef
28 oz beef broth (I like Better than Bullion or Minors if you can find it)
28 oz Spicy V8
1 14 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes or equivalent
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped potatoes
2 cups chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
fresh garlic..all you want..add it to the liquids not the skillet
(additional fresh canned or frozen veggies of what you like or have..corn green beans cabbage etc)

Brown up the meat in the pot. Dont over work it and it will give chunks instead of birdshot. Remove and hold. Brown up the veggies. Add everything to the pot except the meat. Cook slow with a lid till the veggies tender up. Add the cabbage and meat last. Cook till the cabbage is how you want it. Salt and back pepper to taste. Serve with unsweet cornbread and hot sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:
> bigwheel wrote:
>
>> 1 lb ground beef
>> Brown up the meat in the pot.

>Sounds like it would work.

Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
never even seen canned soup with ground beef.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Same here on the salt and pepper. Usually if the salt is about right nobody else can eat it but me..lol. Minor's has some great bases but can be hard to find for folks not in the food bizness. This recipe is a bit tricky because it depends on how much salt you pick up off the broth..which can be a lot under the right circumstances. If you ever tried Minors shrimp or seafood base in a Gumbo..its so good its hard to explain...lol. I dont think their beef base is all that much to brag on. Swear their chicken base seems like a chicken just ran through it. Its rich..and smells like boiled chicken feathers..if you ever smelled that unforgettable smell. The bravest we have got with canned veggies is corn and green beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
>> 1 lb ground beef
>> 28 oz beef broth (I like Better than Bullion or Minors if you can find
>> it)
>> 28 oz Spicy V8
>> 1 14 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes
>> 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes or equivalent
>> 2 cups chopped onions
>> 2 cups chopped potatoes
>> 2 cups chopped carrots
>> 1 cup chopped celery
>> fresh garlic..all you want..add it to the liquids not the skillet
>> (additional fresh canned or frozen veggies of what you like or
>> have..corn green beans cabbage etc)
>>
>> Brown up the meat in the pot. Dont over work it and it will give chunks
>> instead of birdshot. Remove and hold. Brown up the veggies. Add
>> everything to the pot except the meat. Cook slow with a lid till the
>> veggies tender up. Add the cabbage and meat last. Cook till the cabbage
>> is how you want it. Salt and back pepper to taste. Serve with unsweet
>> cornbread and hot sauce.

> Sounds like it would work. Looks easy enough. I would vote for fresh
> or frozen and leave the can vegs out. No Jimmy D? Never heard of Better
> than Bullion or Minors. I like a recipe that doesn't tell you how much
> salt or pepper to use. Those that do, don't usually work out well for
> me.

It's spelled wrong. Called Better Than Bouillon. Comes in a jar. Maybe
not available in all grocery stores but the ones that sell more upscale
stuff would have it. Comes in many varieties and must be refrigerated after
opening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> jay wrote:
>> bigwheel wrote:
>>
>>> 1 lb ground beef
>>> Brown up the meat in the pot.

>>Sounds like it would work.

> Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
> never even seen canned soup with ground beef.

Well, Campbell's used to make a chili bean soup that had ground beef in it.
Not that I'm recommending it. I don't really like chili as a soup.I think
chili should be thicker. It was as though someone didn't have enough chili
and tried to stretch it by adding more water to it. End result was weak.
Which is probably why they no longer make it.

What about wedding soup? Isn't that ground beef?

I make lot of soup with ground beef. But I don't use a recipe and it's
never the same way twice. Always the ground beef, onion, celery and
carrots. But the other veggies will vary. Usually will use some sort of
tomato product in it, but have used plain beef broth. Or even veggie broth
if that's all I have. Might add pasta, barley or rice. Usually a bay leaf
and some sort of Italian seasonings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> jay wrote:

>> >Sounds like it would work.

>> Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
>> never even seen canned soup with ground beef.

> Chili cooks have fought this battle for years. I don't like dicing a
> large pot of chili meat and wouldn't dice this either. I agree with the
> bigwheel about not overworking the meat. I grind my chili beef, usually
> from chuck and I use a ~3/8 plate hole. Works better for burgers too
> than "bb" size pellets.

I have made soup with leftover pot roast. But I've made many more pots with
ground beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2013 12:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> jay wrote:

>>> Sounds like it would work.

>> Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
>> never even seen canned soup with ground beef.

> Well, Campbell's used to make a chili bean soup that had ground beef in it.
> Not that I'm recommending it.

When I was *much* younger I loved that chili-beef soup! No appreciable
beef in it, but I didn't care. Seems to me Campbell's still makes a
chunky version of it.

> What about wedding soup? Isn't that ground beef?

Meatballs made from ground meat, yes. Seems to me a combo of ground
beef & pork would be very tasty. I plan to make this soup from scratch
one of these days. On rare occasions I'll buy a can of Progresso.

I think Campbell's still makes Chunky Sirloin Burger soup which also
contains ground beef shaped like little burgers.

Of course Sheldon is talking about vegetable beef soup made from
scratch. I haven't made any in years but I always used round steak,
cubed, rolled in seasoned flour and then browned. I've never tried it
with ground beef but the topic of soup made with it has been popular on
rfc lately.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Meatballs made from ground meat, yes. Seems to me a combo of ground
> beef & pork would be very tasty. I plan to make this soup from scratch
> one of these days. On rare occasions I'll buy a can of Progresso.

Sheldon bought 50 cans of Progresso back in early January. I teased him
about that and instantly became #3 in his dead file. heheh That's actually
sad because I like the fellow. Oh well.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2013 8:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Meatballs made from ground meat, yes. Seems to me a combo of ground
>> beef & pork would be very tasty. I plan to make this soup from scratch
>> one of these days. On rare occasions I'll buy a can of Progresso.

> Sheldon bought 50 cans of Progresso back in early January. I teased him
> about that and instantly became #3 in his dead file. heheh That's actually
> sad because I like the fellow. Oh well.
>
> G.

Huh. I didn't think Sheldon used killfiles...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 2/25/2013 8:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> Meatballs made from ground meat, yes. Seems to me a combo of ground
> >> beef & pork would be very tasty. I plan to make this soup from scratch
> >> one of these days. On rare occasions I'll buy a can of Progresso.

> > Sheldon bought 50 cans of Progresso back in early January. I teased him
> > about that and instantly became #3 in his dead file. heheh That's actually
> > sad because I like the fellow. Oh well.
> >
> > G.
> >

> Huh. I didn't think Sheldon used killfiles...
>
> Jill

Sheldon claims no killfiles. He called mine into his "deadfile" I guess
that means he doesn't killfile. He still reads what i write but now rarely
responds? Come back to me, Sheldon. I'll be nice from now on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/25/2013 9:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Sheldon bought 50 cans of Progresso back in early January. I teased him
>>> about that and instantly became #3 in his dead file. heheh That's actually
>>> sad because I like the fellow. Oh well.
>>>
>>> G.
>>>

>> Huh. I didn't think Sheldon used killfiles...
>>
>> Jill

> Sheldon claims no killfiles. He called mine into his "deadfile" I guess
> that means he doesn't killfile. He still reads what i write but now rarely
> responds? Come back to me, Sheldon. I'll be nice from now on.

You might try stopping trying to emulate his online persona with
comments about boobs, that would be a start Makes me think of this
song by 'The Tubes':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ_k_VG6Syc

Jill
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Not a problem in the world if somebody wants to sub out some solid chunks of beef for the hamburger meat. Chuck is my favorite. Not sure where the canned soup comes in? Are you referring to the beef base? Would certainly work for industrious gourmets to make their own broth. Bunch of strategies floating around out there on how to do it. Not to be preaching to the choir here but for the solid meat scenario..the first order of bizness after browning would be to try to get it tendered up in the liquid or nearly so..then go from there. Best of fortunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
jay wrote:
bigwheel wrote:

1 lb ground beef
Brown up the meat in the pot.

Sounds like it would work.

Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
never even seen canned soup with ground beef.

Last edited by bigwheel : 25-02-2013 at 06:40 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Thanks for the meat input. Seems like most of the sanctioned chili contests these days are requiring ground meat or at least makes using it an option. Some of the best comp chili cooks I know use the pre ground 80/20 chuck straight from Kroger. From a 3 lb pack they form three one lb meat balls and break up slowly with a metal spoon as they brown it in Crisco!! lol. Makes nice hunks of tender meat in the finished product. Its funny to listen to some of the old time CASI folks speak of taking 5-6 hours to cube the half froze meat. One lady say she even measured each cube with a ruler to make sure it was 3/8" or whatever size it was they wanted. Somebody musta got rational at some point. All that meticulous cutting could reduce the amount of available quality drinking time..lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'jay[_350_
;
Chili cooks have fought this battle for years. I don't like dicing a
large pot of chili meat and wouldn't dice this either. I agree with the
bigwheel about not overworking the meat. I grind my chili beef, usually
from chuck and I use a ~3/8 plate hole. Works better for burgers too
than "bb" size pellets.

jay
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Thanks for the speeling correction lol. Wished I could find more of the Better than Bullion varieties. All I can find nearly everywhere (except Wally World) is the Beef and Chicken version..which I believe is better than Minor's Brand at least on those two entries.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Have you ever tried chuck? Much more flavorful than round. In fact chuck is the best tasting meat on a cow in my book. Once flour is introduced into the equation I would not feel comfortable to call the concoction Soup any longer. Stew or Stoup will work (borrowing a phrase from my Girlfriend Rachel Ray). Aint she a smarty pants?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/25/2013 12:49 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Not really, vegetable beef soup needs to be made with diced beef, I've
>>> never even seen canned soup with ground beef.

>> Well, Campbell's used to make a chili bean soup that had ground beef in
>> it.
>> Not that I'm recommending it.
>>

> When I was *much* younger I loved that chili-beef soup! No appreciable
> beef in it, but I didn't care. Seems to me Campbell's still makes a
> chunky version of it.
>
>> What about wedding soup? Isn't that ground beef?
>>

> Meatballs made from ground meat, yes. Seems to me a combo of ground beef
> & pork would be very tasty. I plan to make this soup from scratch one of
> these days. On rare occasions I'll buy a can of Progresso.
>
> I think Campbell's still makes Chunky Sirloin Burger soup which also
> contains ground beef shaped like little burgers.

Oh yes! I had forgotten about that one. My brother used to love it and so
did Angela. Prior to her starting the South Beach diet, I bought a few cans
but now she doesn't like it. I tried to eat it. Can't say that I cared for
ir much.

> Of course Sheldon is talking about vegetable beef soup made from scratch.
> I haven't made any in years but I always used round steak, cubed, rolled
> in seasoned flour and then browned. I've never tried it with ground beef
> but the topic of soup made with it has been popular on rfc lately.

I got attacked for saying that I put ground beef in my minestrone. But I
still stand by that it is a pretty common thing to do.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Adding dry stuff at the browning stage is not a good plan. I got burned bad with frisky use of white pepper in that scenario one time. Sounds like a good way to get a scorched chili powder flavor. I would skip that step..lol. I like a little breakfast sausage in my pot o red. I brown that up first breaking up as good as possible..remove then do the meatball thing with the beef. Or you can mix the sausage and the beef and meat ball that. Makes a little firmer chunks of meat than doing it the other way..also more work.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Highly true Sir! Works sorta like a watered down version of comp bbq..lol. Folks stay drunk for days on end on some of those deals. Most times the chili folks sober up and go home fairly queekly. Now this of course don't count the extended debauchery of Terlingua..lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay[_350_] View Post
For sure! Without the drinking there would be no chili cook off.
jay

Last edited by bigwheel : 01-03-2013 at 10:48 PM