Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default veggie beef broth?-

I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.

Thanks
Karen
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.

Marigold do a good vegetable bouillon. Or you could try miso?

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote in message
> According to >:
>>I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.

> Marigold do a good vegetable bouillon. Or you could try miso?
>
> --

I really do recommend Marigold's Vegetable Bouillon, it is the best
vegetable stock by far!

Tracey
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>>>I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.

>> Marigold do a good vegetable bouillon. Or you could try miso?

>I really do recommend Marigold's Vegetable Bouillon, it is the best
>vegetable stock by far!

I have a tub of it unopened in my cupboard that I bought for in case I
needed something light and snacky whilst in labour with my last baby,
but it's still unopened. (I also have a similar jar of miso!)

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

>>> Marigold do a good vegetable bouillon.

>>I really do recommend Marigold's Vegetable Bouillon, it is the best
>>vegetable stock by far!

> I have a tub of it unopened in my cupboard ....

Really - unopened? I get through mine quite quickly as I use it in so many
things - soups, stews, chillis, curries, pasta dishes...!

Tracey

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>>>I really do recommend Marigold's Vegetable Bouillon, it is the best
>>>vegetable stock by far!

>> I have a tub of it unopened in my cupboard ....

>Really - unopened? I get through mine quite quickly as I use it in so many
>things - soups, stews, chillis, curries, pasta dishes...!

I obviously don't cook enough. ;-)

Soups, I tend not to use anything other than proper vegetable stock (since
getting a new freezer I've been putting vegetable scraps into a tub to freeze
to make stock from when I need it - although the freezer isn't as big as I
thought it was!)

Stews (or vegetarian scouse!) and veggie-mince based things I tend to use
gravy powder such as bisto, which thickens.

I don't do chilli (other than beanfeast packets) or curries

Pasta dishes I use a base tomato or white/cheese sauce. What pasta dishes
do you use it for? (Oh, I found a wonderful recipe for green veg in orange
sauce recently! Basically: lightly fry green veg (asparagus, french beans,
baby courgettes, etc - I used baby sweetcorn to instead of asparagus cos it
was out of season at the time) in a spoon or two of olive oil, throw in 1 tbsp
plain flour and coat veg, keep over the heat for a few mins, then add orange
juice until it you get the right consistency (about 500ml, I think). Serve
over tagliatelle or similar. It can be a bit sickly after a lot of it, but
for a small portion, it's lovely!)
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>That does sound nice - different too! A small bowl of that would probably
>make a good starter.

Yeah, that's about the right amount to eat. Eating it for a main course is
just a bit too sickly, but a small amount is really quite nice. I may use
it for my 'vegetarian dish' entry into the local gardening competition domestic
section this year. :-)

>For the pasta dishes I either just add it to the water of the cooking pasta
>to give the plain pasta a nicer taste

Ahh, that makes sense. I could use it instead of salt when cooking (since
having the kids I've stopped adding salt to veg when cooking, but still put
it in pasta and rice). Although I quite like plain pasta with butter still.

>...oh, and the veg like broccoli and sweet potato I
>half-three quarters cook in the microwave before adding to saute pan),

We like our broccoli crunchy. :-) My little boy eats it raw. I'm not sure
how my mum convinced him broccoli was a treat, but if you offer him chocolate
or broccoli these days he'll go for the broccoli. Not going to have a fibre
or calcium problem there, then!

>need to add salt either when you use it this way - sometimes I use a tiny
>amount of soy sauce.

I try to avoid soy sauce on anything the kids are having because of the MSG.
I'm very mean to them, really. When we go out and there is orange squash on
offer he only gets water in case there's sweetener in the squash. Everyone
seems so worried about sugar, I'd much rather he has sugar than chemicals!

>with the bouillon + herbs is tasy enough. If I do use a sauce I cheat and
>open some condensed soup - Campbell's 99% fat free mushroom is a favourite
>cos I have to work to stay slim and it's so low in calories!

Never been a big fan of the condensed soup things. I quite like the cheap
jars of tomato pasta sauce from the supermarket, though (Tesco and Sainsburys
both do quite nice 'basic' ones, then you can add your own veg). Mind you,
going by previous tomato crops we've had, I can probably make and freeze
enough to last until winter this year.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote in message
> We like our broccoli crunchy. :-) My little boy eats it raw. I'm not
> sure
> how my mum convinced him broccoli was a treat, but if you offer him
> chocolate
> or broccoli these days he'll go for the broccoli. Not going to have a
> fibre
> or calcium problem there, then!

Funny you should say that, my fiance's young daughter loves broccoli too,
and instead of pestering for chocolate and sweets is mad on lemons! We go
to the supermarket and all we hear is,"Please can I have a lemon?"!

Tracey
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Funny you should say that, my fiance's young daughter loves broccoli too,
>and instead of pestering for chocolate and sweets is mad on lemons! We go
>to the supermarket and all we hear is,"Please can I have a lemon?"!

Whenever I take mine shopping I have to keep an eye on him or else we end
up with all sorts of random fruit and veg plonked into the basket. Then
I have to check everything I take back out of the basket for little nibble
marks before I put them back onto the display.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Vicky Conlan" > wrote ...
> According to >:
>>Funny you should say that, my fiance's young daughter loves broccoli too,
>>and instead of pestering for chocolate and sweets is mad on lemons! We go
>>to the supermarket and all we hear is,"Please can I have a lemon?"!

> Whenever I take mine shopping I have to keep an eye on him or else we end
> up with all sorts of random fruit and veg plonked into the basket. Then
> I have to check everything I take back out of the basket for little nibble
> marks before I put them back onto the display.
>
> --

Lol. It's a shame all children aren't as passionate about fruit and
veggies!

Tracey

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Karen wrote:

> I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.

Most boulion powders or cubes nowadays are based on hydrolysed vegetable
protein (soy and cereals, with carrots, onions, celeriac and herbs added
for taste), even if the label depicts a cow. Meat simply is to expensive
for this application. Read the ingredient list of some of these products
at your favourite supermarket, and select one that fits your fancy.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Karen wrote:

> I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.
>
> Thanks
> Karen

Do you have a good recipe for French Onion soup? If so, please share

Carole
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Try a mushroom broth next time, it adds that same depth you get from
the beef broth.

Karen wrote:
> I want to make French onion soup...but need a "beef" broth substitute.
>
> Thanks
> Karen

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Carole wrote:

> Do you have a good recipe for French Onion soup? If so, please share

Peel onions and cut into slices 2-3 mm thick. Melt butter in a pan and
add the onions, fry until soft and translucent but do not allow them to
become brown. Add broth and bring to boil. Season to taste with salt and
pepper. Fill the soup into fire proof soup bowls and add a slice of
toasted white bread on top of each. Cover with freshly grated parmesan
cheese and put into a hot oven (salamander is ideal). Serve piping hot
once the cheese has some colour. Oh the simple joys of life!

One other nice dish with onions is the Alsassian onion pie, a quich made
with onions (fried and then stewed in dry white whine, until the whine
is reduced to almost dry) and a mixture of sour cream and eggs. Again,
good seasoning is essential, otherwise the taste will be bland. You may
add some baccos too. Put on a baking plate covered with a yeast based
dow (similar to pizza dow) and bake until you have a good colour. Serve
as main course with the same whine as was used for cooking.
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

According to >:
>Try a mushroom broth next time, it adds that same depth you get from
>the beef broth.

Do you make your own? Could you let us know the recipe, please? Ta.

Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Thanks! I will give both recipes a try

Carole

[quoting removed by moderator - gedge]
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

"Dr Engelbert Buxbaum" > wrote in message
<snip>
> One other nice dish with onions is the Alsassian onion pie.

Will have to try the recipe above sometime and I'm going to give your French
onion soup recipe a go this afternoon.

Talking onion recipes, I have a really delicious onion tarte recipe, it's
one of my absolute favourites:

Roll out 250g fresh ready-made shortcrust pastry and line a 24cm
loose-bottomed quiche/flan tin. Prick base of pastry and leave to chill for
30 mins.

Heat 40g butter and add 700g thinly sliced onions and 75g chopped mushrooms.
Sweat over low heat for about 25 mins until tender. Add 1 tbsp water to pan
if onion starts to brown.

Add 2 beaten eggs to onion and mushrooms and stir in 50g Parmesan cheese (if
i can't get hold of vegetarian Parmesan I add around 90g mature cheddar), 1
tsp dried sage and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well.

Spoon onion mixture into prepared pastry case.

Bake in preheated oven, 180�C/350�F/Gas Mark 4, for about 20-30 mins or
until tart has just set.

Leave to cool slightly in the tin. Serve warm or cold.

Tracey
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Carole > wrote:
> Do you have a good recipe for French Onion soup? If so, please share

I find that the key to good French Onion soup is to use at least two
kinds of booze. Red wine plus a good cider (hard cider, for the
Americans); or white wine plus brandy, or red wine plus cider plus
brandy. Obviously you only need a little brandy, and more of the wine
or cider. Also, make sure to cook the onions until they're
well-caramelised and collapsed. Finally, a good veggie stock helps a
lot. I use Touch of Taste brand, which is just as good as home-made.

Kake