General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Citric acid

I bought a bag of citric acid. It is cheap, and good for descaling the dishwasher
and drip coffee maker, but also for reducing carbs in citrus fruit ades sweetened
with sucralose. Added at the level of 1/2 teaspoon per lemon or lime, then
adding an extract of orange or lemon, you can save a couple of grams of carbs in
each drink. It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures
without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the stainless
steel water fountains.

--Bryan

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,175
Default Citric acid

On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:
I bought a bag of citric acid. It is cheap, and good for descaling the dishwasher

and drip coffee maker, but also for reducing carbs in citrus fruit ades sweetened

with sucralose. Added at the level of 1/2 teaspoon per lemon or lime, then

adding an extract of orange or lemon, you can save a couple of grams of carbs in

each drink. It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures

without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the stainless

steel water fountains.

--Bryan


Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 02:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Citric acid

On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:39:34 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:

It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures
without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the
stainless steel water fountains.



--Bryan


Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.


Sure, but citric is adequate for descaling lime: it's cheap
and you can use it w/o gloves.

--Bryan
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,482
Default Citric acid

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:13:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan
wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:39:34 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:

It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures
without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the
stainless steel water fountains.



--Bryan


Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.


Sure, but citric is adequate for descaling lime: it's cheap
and you can use it w/o gloves.

--Bryan


And after all, this is a "Bryan knows best" post! Bryan's newest
"discoveries" are always the best, for him AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Because Bryan is megalomanical and thinks he is everyone's teacher.
HA!

John Kuthe...
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Citric acid

On Monday, February 11, 2013 9:40:05 PM UTC-6, "The Gelding" John "Felix" Kuthe wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:13:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan

wrote:



On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:39:34 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:


On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:




It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures


without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the


stainless steel water fountains.






--Bryan




Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.




Sure, but citric is adequate for descaling lime: it's cheap


and you can use it w/o gloves.




--Bryan




And after all, this is a "Bryan knows best" post! Bryan's newest

"discoveries" are always the best, for him AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!



Because Bryan is megalomanical and thinks he is everyone's teacher.

HA!

Silly stalker. You should get a life.

John Kuthe...


--Bryan


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 05:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,481
Default Citric acid

On Feb 11, 9:40*pm, John Kuthe wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:13:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan





wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:39:34 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:


It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures
without the off smell of vinegar. *I took some to work for cleaning the
stainless steel water fountains.


--Bryan


Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.


Sure, but citric is adequate for descaling lime: it's cheap
and you can use it w/o gloves.


--Bryan


And after all, this is a "Bryan knows best" post! Bryan's newest
"discoveries" are always the best, for him AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Because Bryan is megalomanical and thinks he is everyone's teacher.
HA!


You have a shrine to Liza Minnelli in your house, don't you?

  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,482
Default Citric acid

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:47:40 -0800 (PST), Bryan ...
....
Silly stalker. You should get a life.

--Bryan


Silly obsessive megalomaniac. You should get a CLUE!

John Kuthe...
  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,482
Default Citric acid

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:17:23 -0600, John Kuthe
wrote:

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:47:40 -0800 (PST), Bryan ...
...
Silly stalker. You should get a life.

--Bryan


Silly obsessive megalomaniac. You should get a CLUE!

John


After all, you can't get a DEGREE!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,127
Default Citric acid

On 2/11/2013 10:40 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 18:13:21 -0800 (PST), Bryan
wrote:

On Monday, February 11, 2013 7:39:34 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2013 6:32:13 PM UTC-7, Bryan wrote:

It's also great for removing lime from bathroom or kitchen fixtures
without the off smell of vinegar. I took some to work for cleaning the
stainless steel water fountains.

--Bryan

Formic acid is stronger and works better...also oxalic acid.

Sure, but citric is adequate for descaling lime: it's cheap
and you can use it w/o gloves.

--Bryan

And after all, this is a "Bryan knows best" post! Bryan's newest
"discoveries" are always the best, for him AND EVERYONE ELSE!!!

Because Bryan is megalomanical and thinks he is everyone's teacher.
HA!

John Kuthe...

Formic acid and oxalic acid are poisonous, citric is not.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,482
Default Citric acid

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:37:38 -0500, James Silverton
....
Formic acid and oxalic acid are poisonous, citric is not.


Everything is poisonous in sufficient quantity. Even pure water! The
LD50 of water is about 6 gallons.

John Kuthe...


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,127
Default Citric acid

On 2/12/2013 4:48 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:37:38 -0500, James Silverton
...
Formic acid and oxalic acid are poisonous, citric is not.

Everything is poisonous in sufficient quantity. Even pure water! The
LD50 of water is about 6 gallons.

John Kuthe...

Can't resist having the last word, can you? :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,110
Default Citric acid

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:18:38 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 07:17:23 -0600, John Kuthe

wrote:



On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 19:47:40 -0800 (PST), Bryan ...


...


Silly stalker. You should get a life.




--Bryan




Silly obsessive megalomaniac. You should get a CLUE!




John




After all, you can't get a DEGREE!! ;-)



John Kuthe...


Mince, mince, mince, little man! Has JCAHO contacted you yet?
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,116
Default Citric acid

On Tuesday, February 12, 2013 5:08:20 PM UTC-6, James Silverton wrote:
On 2/12/2013 4:48 PM, John Kuthe wrote:

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:37:38 -0500, James Silverton


...


Formic acid and oxalic acid are poisonous, citric is not.


Everything is poisonous in sufficient quantity. Even pure water! The


LD50 of water is about 6 gallons.




John Kuthe...


Can't resist having the last word, can you? :-)

And "The crux of the biscuit is the" exclamation point!

--

Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

--Bryan
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-02-2013, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 32,559
Default Citric acid

On 2/12/2013 6:08 PM, James Silverton wrote:
On 2/12/2013 4:48 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 08:37:38 -0500, James Silverton
...
Formic acid and oxalic acid are poisonous, citric is not.

Everything is poisonous in sufficient quantity. Even pure water! The
LD50 of water is about 6 gallons.

John Kuthe...

Can't resist having the last word, can you? :-)

And you're not even Bryan!

Jill


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ascorbic acid (vitamin c) vs. citric acid The Joneses[_1_] Preserving 2 29-07-2014 06:51 PM
Citric Acid question Ray West Preserving 49 17-05-2008 05:48 PM
Vinegar is poison , use citric acid werty General Cooking 8 24-11-2006 01:04 AM
citric acid amount ellen wickberg Preserving 5 11-02-2006 03:41 PM
Citric Acid Overdone Charlie Winemaking 4 27-08-2005 04:18 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017