Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bullion =/= bouillon

It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...

Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.

Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:59:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan
>Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.
>
>--Bryan

You know this one all to well!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:59:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

>It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...
>
>Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.
>
>Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.
>
>--Bryan

The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
(Newscasters) do it all the time. I've heard it in movies. C'mon
people, do it right.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-11, Susan > wrote:

> How about joolery?

It's spelled as such in some Tolkien books, Hobbits using the term
"jools" instead of jewels.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...

> The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
> (Newscasters) do it all the time.

I was watching Tyler on TV once. He kept saying "marscapony".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:01:23 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:59:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:
>
>>It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...
>>
>>Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.
>>
>>Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.
>>
>>--Bryan

>The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
>(Newscasters) do it all the time. I've heard it in movies. C'mon
>people, do it right.
>Janet US

Even our Pres doesn't know the difference between cache and cachet.
And it may be acceptible but fortey sounds dumb.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:14:47 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> >It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...

>> The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
>> (Newscasters) do it all the time.

>I was watching Tyler on TV once. He kept saying "marscapony".

I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in which
case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >How about joolery?

> That's just plane bad spelling

What's that sound?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:35 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> >How about joolery?

>> That's just plane bad spelling

>What's that sound?

wouldn't you just figure that would happen? )
I do know better. Mea Culpa
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:45:39 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:01:23 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:59:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:
>>
>>>It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...
>>>
>>>Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.
>>>
>>>Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.
>>>
>>>--Bryan

>>The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
>>(Newscasters) do it all the time. I've heard it in movies. C'mon
>>people, do it right.
>>Janet US

>Even our Pres doesn't know the difference between cache and cachet.

snip
Really? I hadn't heard him do that -- but it is done often.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan > wrote in
:

>> The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public
>> speakers (Newscasters) do it all the time. I've heard it in
>> movies. C'mon people, do it right.
>> Janet US

> How about joolery?

How about "inneresting"?

--
Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick > wrote in
:

>>I was watching Tyler on TV once. He kept saying "marscapony".
>>

> I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in
> which case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.

He might be overstating the equestrian aspect of cheese, but for an
anglo, that's pretty close.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2013 11:45 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> How about joolery?
>>

> That's just plane bad spelling in modern usage. The Calvary and
> Cavalry thing are two different things entirely. I hardly think the
> site where Jesus was crucified (Calvary) is going to come galloping
> over the hill to save the pioneers. Cavalry is the soldiers to the
> rescue.

I actually meant the pronunciation...

I have more peeves... but some of them are phrases.

Like "it's a doggy dog world" and "for all intensive purposes."

Susan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

x-no-arcchive: yes

On 2/11/2013 11:47 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in which
> case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.

Yes, that's exactly how she pronounces it.

Susan

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

How do the Frog Eating Frenchies speel it? Thats the key Monsewer. Wee wee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan[_6_] View Post
It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.

Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:47:04 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:14:47 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>>> The one that really bugs me is Calvary and Cavalry. Public speakers
>>> (Newscasters) do it all the time.

>>I was watching Tyler on TV once. He kept saying "marscapony".
>>

>I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in which
>case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.
>Janet US

Um, proper Italian pronucition requires the correct guido
gesticulations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/11/2013 12:04 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:35 -0500, George M. Middius
> > wrote:

>>> That's just plane bad spelling

>> What's that sound?
>>

> wouldn't you just figure that would happen? )
> I do know better. Mea Culpa
> Janet US

I thought it was a deliberate joke. I liked it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 10:04:42 AM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:35 -0500, George M. Middius
>
> > wrote:

> >> That's just plane bad spelling

> >What's that sound?

> wouldn't you just figure that would happen? )
>
> I do know better. Mea Culpa
>
> Janet US

LOL...Isn't that what is referred to as being "foisted on your own petard"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Susan wrote:

> > I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in which
> > case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.

> Yes, that's exactly how she pronounces it.

That just means she's dyslexic, like Tyler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:41:30 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

>On Monday, February 11, 2013 10:04:42 AM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:35 -0500, George M. Middius
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >What's that sound?

>> wouldn't you just figure that would happen? )
>>
>> I do know better. Mea Culpa
>>
>> Janet US

>LOL...Isn't that what is referred to as being "foisted on your own petard"?

I believe so. I can never put the reference to a bomb in that phrase.
To me, it seems as though a petard should be a lance or sword. And,
to pick nits, it is 'hoist.'
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

How about Diane Sawyer who can't seemed to get 'asked' out of her mouth. Maybe where she was educated, the past and present tenses are equal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 12:16:46 PM UTC-5, Susan wrote:

> Like "it's a doggy dog world" and "for all intensive purposes.

I understand that 'spittin' image' has become acceptable now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 11:45:39 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:het.

> And it may be acceptible but fortey sounds dumb.

99.9 % of people think it's 'fortay' when the word is really pronounced 'fort'. I gave up fighting that one long ago. To argue with imbeciles is just not my forte.
I bet this becomes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread.

By the way, it's acceptAble, if we want to get picky.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 12:12:52 PM UTC-5, Michel Boucher wrote:

> How about "inneresting"?

I guess you just don't rekuhnize good English pronoUnciation. Just where are you living AT? : ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote in
:

>> How about "inneresting"?
>>

> I guess you just don't rekuhnize good English pronoUnciation.
> Just where are you living AT? : ))

Ottawa where we speak mid-Atlantic English as opposed to that
Appalachian jibber-jabber you USAians seem to find so appealing.
Basically, I speak like Alex Trebek, who speaks proper English, and
when we say "interesting" we pronounce BOTH t's.

Note I said Ottawa, and not Ottawa Valley which is a whole n'uther
thing.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Susan" > wrote in message
> On 2/11/2013 11:45 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>>> How about joolery?
>>>

>> That's just plane bad spelling in modern usage. The Calvary and
>> Cavalry thing are two different things entirely. I hardly think the
>> site where Jesus was crucified (Calvary) is going to come galloping
>> over the hill to save the pioneers. Cavalry is the soldiers to the
>> rescue.

> I actually meant the pronunciation...
>
> I have more peeves... but some of them are phrases.
>
> Like "it's a doggy dog world" and "for all intensive purposes."
>
> Susan

And one of my pet peeves...people who call the POTUS "Commander AND Chief."

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> 99.9 % of people think it's 'fortay' when the word is really pronounced 'fort'.

Sez who?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:53:14 -0500, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Susan wrote:
>
>> > I'm not too sure that Giada doesn't pronounce it that way, in which
>> > case I bow to her Italian pronunciation.

>> Yes, that's exactly how she pronounces it.

>That just means she's dyslexic, like Tyler.

Nah, it just means she's Eye-talyan
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in
:

> And one of my pet peeves...people who call the POTUS
> "Commander AND Chief."

Or call him POTUS and the lovely missus FLOTUS.

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> By the way, it's acceptAble, if we want to get picky.

By the way, what's the "correct" English pronunciation of "the Louvre"? (If
you say it like a Manchesterian says "love", you're wrong.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> pronoUnciation

No such word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Monday, February 11, 2013 11:45:39 AM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:het.
>>
>> And it may be acceptible but fortey sounds dumb.

> 99.9 % of people think it's 'fortay' when the word is really pronounced
> 'fort'. I gave up fighting that one long ago. To argue with imbeciles is
> just not my forte.
> I bet this becomes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong thread.
>
> By the way, it's acceptAble, if we want to get picky.

http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?wor...&submit=Submit

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 04:59:59 -0800 (PST), Bryan
> wrote:

> It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold stew, or platinum gravy...
>
> Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium." So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become acceptable in dumbass circles.
>
> Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.

Not all of us are natural spellers. I have to look up the correct
spelling every single time I use the word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan" > wrote in message
> It's really pretty simple, folks. Unless you really are making a gold
> stew, or platinum gravy...
>
> Mixing up those two words is even dumber than calling a lectern, "podium."
> So many numbskulls have done that for so long that it has become
> acceptable in dumbass circles.
>
> Ignorance + laziness = stupidity.

It annoys me to hear even educated Americans and Canadians using "bring"
instead of "take" and "off of" when a plain "off" is correct.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 11:08:20 AM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 09:41:30 -0800 (PST), Roy >
>
> wrote:
>

> >On Monday, February 11, 2013 10:04:42 AM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> >> On Mon, 11 Feb 2013 11:55:35 -0500, George M. Middius

> >> wouldn't you just figure that would happen? )

> >> I do know better. Mea Culpa

> >> Janet US

> >LOL...Isn't that what is referred to as being "foisted on your own petard"?

> I believe so. I can never put the reference to a bomb in that phrase.
>
> To me, it seems as though a petard should be a lance or sword. And,
>
> to pick nits, it is 'hoist.'
>
> Janet US

So it seems that I was hoisted on MY petard as well. Oh well...I'll call for
help to get off.

Cheers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 1:38:09 PM UTC-5, George M. Middius wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>

> > pronoUnciation

> No such word.

I know - just a jab at a common mispronunciation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 11, 2013 2:45:08 PM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> It annoys me to hear even educated Americans and Canadians using "bring"
>
> instead of "take" and "off of" when a plain "off" is correct.

Just remember to pour the gravy 'over top of' the spuds. : ))
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-02-11, graham > wrote:

> It annoys me to hear even educated Americans and Canadians using "bring"
> instead of "take" and "off of" when a plain "off" is correct.

Yet the yer PC sensitivities are too strong to even think of
mentioning "axed" versus "asked".

Nothing to see, here. Move along.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 11, 11:16*am, Susan > wrote:
> On 2/11/2013 11:45 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> >> How about joolery?

> > That's just plane bad spelling in modern usage. *The Calvary and
> > Cavalry thing are two different things entirely. *I hardly think the
> > site where Jesus was crucified (Calvary) is going to come galloping
> > over the hill to save the pioneers. *Cavalry is the soldiers to the
> > rescue.

> I actually meant the pronunciation...
>
> I have more peeves... but some of them are phrases.
>
> Like "it's a doggy dog world" and "for all intensive purposes."
>
> Susan

Oops, you awoke the sleeping giant - my favorite reason for examples
like the above: people don't read any more. They get all their
information via audio sources.

N.

Bullion cubes KenK General Cooking 81 11-04-2017 09:01 PM
>$3.50/jar for Better Than Bouillon Winters_Lackey General Cooking 15 19-05-2014 11:18 PM
Bullion / bouillon graham General Cooking 0 13-02-2013 07:42 PM
Bouillon and health john hamilton[_2_] General Cooking 25 10-10-2010 05:41 PM
Info on bullion cubes? Kswck General Cooking 14 24-10-2006 07:18 PM