Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC? Wild Rice Soup

I've lost the recipe I had and haven't made Wild Rice Soup in at leaswt
10 years. A Google search turns up all sorts of things, most of which
include chicken. I'm not talking about chicken & wild rice soup. I'm
remembering a nice creamy wild rice soup.

I have about a 1-1/2 cups of cooked wild rice left from when I was
making the cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving. I could just freeze it
to use as a side dish with another meal. Or I could make Wild Rice
Soup. Problem is, I haven't made it in about 10 years and I've
forgotten how I did it. Silly, I know. Chicken broth, yes, sauted
onion, garlic, etc. yes. Half & half or cream, yes. But what herbs?
spices? I know there was more to it than salt & pepper.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:35:36 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I've lost the recipe I had and haven't made Wild Rice Soup in at leaswt
>10 years. A Google search turns up all sorts of things, most of which
>include chicken. I'm not talking about chicken & wild rice soup. I'm
>remembering a nice creamy wild rice soup.
>
>I have about a 1-1/2 cups of cooked wild rice left from when I was
>making the cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving. I could just freeze it
>to use as a side dish with another meal. Or I could make Wild Rice
>Soup. Problem is, I haven't made it in about 10 years and I've
>forgotten how I did it. Silly, I know. Chicken broth, yes, sauted
>onion, garlic, etc. yes. Half & half or cream, yes. But what herbs?
>spices? I know there was more to it than salt & pepper.

Celery, Carrot, 'Shrooms.
You don't want any strong over powering flavors with wild rice, or you
may as well use white rice. I'd thicken with almond flour. Butter for
garnish
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2012 10:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012 21:35:36 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> remembering a nice creamy wild rice soup.
>>
>> Chicken broth, yes, sauteed onion, garlic, etc. yes. Half & half or cream, yes. But what herbs?
>> spices? I know there was more to it than salt & pepper.

> Celery, Carrot, 'Shrooms.
> You don't want any strong over powering flavors with wild rice, or you
> may as well use white rice. I'd thicken with almond flour. Butter for
> garnish

The soup I made didn't contain mushrooms. Carrots, possibly grated.
Seems to me I added some dried thyme, perhaps marjoram. Paprika? I'll
figure it out.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I've lost the recipe I had and haven't made Wild Rice Soup in at leaswt
> 10 years. A Google search turns up all sorts of things, most of which
> include chicken. I'm not talking about chicken & wild rice soup. I'm
> remembering a nice creamy wild rice soup.
>
> I have about a 1-1/2 cups of cooked wild rice left from when I was
> making the cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving. I could just freeze it
> to use as a side dish with another meal. Or I could make Wild Rice
> Soup. Problem is, I haven't made it in about 10 years and I've
> forgotten how I did it. Silly, I know. Chicken broth, yes, sauted
> onion, garlic, etc. yes. Half & half or cream, yes. But what herbs?
> spices? I know there was more to it than salt & pepper.
>
> Jill

I hoped I had your recipe squirreled away, but I don't. Here are
a couple of recipes that have saved:

http://www.lundsandbyerlys.com/Recip...Rice-Soup.aspx
Person who posted about this said "it was to die for".

_________________________

From Chow email:

Mushroom and Wild Rice Chowder

By Sarah Karnasiewicz

Creamy, enriched with bacon and mushrooms, and bulked out with
dark, nutty wild rice, this soup is a great way to put leftover
rice to use and makes a lovely lunch or light supper paired with a
green salad and crunchy bread.

More wild rice recipes.

TIME/SERVINGS
Total Time: About 1 hr 40 mins
Makes: 4 to 6 servings

INGREDIENTS
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces bacon, small dice (about 3/4 cup)
8 ounces white mushrooms, stems trimmed and thinly sliced
1 medium yellow onion, small dice
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
Kosher salt
1 medium carrot, peeled and small dice
1 medium celery stalk, small dice
1 medium russet potato, peeled and medium dice
2 cups cooked wild rice
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 bay leaf
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more as needed

INSTRUCTIONS

Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven
over medium heat until foaming. Add the bacon and cook, stirring
occasionally, until crisp, about 5 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted
spoon, remove the bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside.
Add the mushrooms to the saucepan, stir to coat in the bacon fat,
and cook over medium heat, stirring rarely, until they begin to
brown and the liquid they give off evaporates, about 8 minutes.
Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the saucepan over
medium heat until foaming. Add the onion and garlic, season with
salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion
has softened, about 3 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, and potato,
season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cover with a
tightfitting lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions
are tender, about 7 minutes.
Add the rice and thyme to the saucepan and stir to combine.
Sprinkle the mixture with the flour. Continue cooking, stirring
constantly, until the flour is no longer raw-tasting and a film of
cooked flour coats the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes.
Add the reserved mushrooms, bay leaf, and broth and stir to
combine. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a gentle
boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are
cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Uncover the saucepan, stir in the half-and-half and the measured
pepper, and let the chowder simmer, stirring occasionally, until
slightly thickened and the flavors have combined, about 10
minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, taste, and season with more
salt, pepper, and lemon juice as needed. Remove the bay leaf and
serve garnished with the reserved bacon.

I have more, but they involve turkey....
Member

check out all the wild rice soup recipes on http://www.wildrice.com

https://wildrice.com/blogs/wild-rice-recipes