Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

I've been craving this soup. It's been years since I made it.

http://www.food.com/recipe/byerlys-w...ce-soup-178083

Byerly's Wild Rice Soup

6 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon minced onion
1/2 cup flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups wild rice, cooked
1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half-and-half
2 tablespoons dry sherry
snipped parsley (for garnish) or chives (for garnish)

Melt the butter in a soup pot.
Saute the onion until it is softened.
Blend in the flour and then gradually stir in the chicken broth. Stir
constantly until it comes to a boil, keep stirring for one more minute.
Add wild rice, ham, carrots, almonds, salt and simmer about 5 minutes.
Add half-and-half and sherry, heat until just heated through.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.

Serves 4, but the site allows you to scale it to different serving amounts.

My notes: I always add a little extra sherry when I make this soup. I
avoid nuts and seeds so I'm not sure about the chopped almonds this time
around.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-15 21:20:12 +0000, jmcquown said:

> I've been craving this soup. It's been years since I made it.
>
> http://www.food.com/recipe/byerlys-w...ce-soup-178083
>
> Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
>
> 6 tablespoons butter
> 1 tablespoon minced onion
> 1/2 cup flour
> 3 cups chicken broth
> 2 cups wild rice, cooked
> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup half-and-half
> 2 tablespoons dry sherry
> snipped parsley (for garnish) or chives (for garnish)
>
> Melt the butter in a soup pot.
> Saute the onion until it is softened.
> Blend in the flour and then gradually stir in the chicken broth. Stir
> constantly until it comes to a boil, keep stirring for one more minute.
> Add wild rice, ham, carrots, almonds, salt and simmer about 5 minutes.
> Add half-and-half and sherry, heat until just heated through.
> Garnish with chopped fresh parsley or chives.
>
> Serves 4, but the site allows you to scale it to different serving amounts.
>
> My notes: I always add a little extra sherry when I make this soup. I
> avoid nuts and seeds so I'm not sure about the chopped almonds this
> time around.
>
> Jill

I grew up a couple miles from the original Byerly's in Golden Valley,
MN. My mom and Don Byerly came to know each other well, and he often
treated us to meals in the (formerly) upscale restaurant in the store.
The store wasn't just a place to buy stuff - gourmet cooking classes
were offered, anything could be obtained by special order, and Don
gainfully employed many mentally and physically handicapped people from
the area. Unfortunately since the Lund's buyout the store has declined
in quality somewhat, but you can still get excellent quality meat and
seafood at the butcher's counter.

The key to making proper Byerly's wild rice soup is to use the correct
wild rice. You must obtain the longer, slow-toasted grained wild rice
harvested by many Ojibwe Indian nations. It is vastly superior to the
commercially raised, hard, shiny black rice (we call that junk paddy
rice in MN) and once you have it you will never buy paddy rice again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2014 7:28 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:20:12 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've been craving this soup. It's been years since I made it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/byerlys-w...ce-soup-178083
>>
>> Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
>>
>> 6 tablespoons butter
>> 1 tablespoon minced onion
>> 1/2 cup flour
>> 3 cups chicken broth
>> 2 cups wild rice, cooked
>> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
>> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
>> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 cup half-and-half
>> 2 tablespoons dry sherry
>> snipped parsley (for garnish) or chives (for garnish)

> Is that 2 cups of cooked wild rice, or do you cook 2 cups of wild
> rice?
>
> :-)

Funny man.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:33:30 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Is that 2 cups of cooked wild rice, or do you cook 2 cups of wild
>>> rice?
>>>
>>> :-)

>> Funny man.

> Ahh, but It really IS ambiguous. Especially when the same recipe uses
> terms such as:
>
> 1 tablespoon minced onion
> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>
> We would assume it's 2 cups of cooked wild rice (judging by the amount
> of liquid in the recipe), but then look at the "cooked ham" ingredient
> which is specifically cooked before measuring. And the onion is
> measure minced, so then why isn't the carrot listed as "1/2 cup finely
> shredded carrot"? Then we have a third form of ambiguity using
> parenthesis as in "almonds (chopped)".
>
> The order of the terms used in this recipe are not consistent and
> could be confusing to some people. As an editor yourself I would
> think you would consider this bad form.
>
> -sw

Yep. Certainly wouldn't work as written. The wild rice that I cooked
yesterday called for 2 cups of broth to 1/2 cup of rice. And it wasn't
soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 04:51:45 +0000, Julie Bove said:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> Funny man.

>> Ahh, but It really IS ambiguous. Especially when the same recipe uses
>> terms such as:
>>
>> 1 tablespoon minced onion
>> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
>> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
>> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>>
>> We would assume it's 2 cups of cooked wild rice (judging by the amount
>> of liquid in the recipe), but then look at the "cooked ham" ingredient
>> which is specifically cooked before measuring. And the onion is
>> measure minced, so then why isn't the carrot listed as "1/2 cup finely
>> shredded carrot"? Then we have a third form of ambiguity using
>> parenthesis as in "almonds (chopped)".
>>
>> The order of the terms used in this recipe are not consistent and
>> could be confusing to some people. As an editor yourself I would
>> think you would consider this bad form.
>>
>> -sw

> Yep. Certainly wouldn't work as written. The wild rice that I cooked
> yesterday called for 2 cups of broth to 1/2 cup of rice. And it wasn't
> soup.

It would work as written. Properly done, this soup is very thick
indeed. Almost a rice casserole in texture.

I'm not sure if t

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm not sure if t

Damn Unison.

I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it
with Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.

I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
food.com's version is authentic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 05:31:59 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:

>> I'm not sure if t

> Damn Unison.
>
> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it
> with Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>
> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
> food.com's version is authentic.

http://lundsandbyerlys.com/recipe/wild-rice-soup/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> On 2014-12-16 05:31:59 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:
>

>>> I'm not sure if t

>> Damn Unison.
>>
>> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it with
>> Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.

I am the one that showed Byerly how to make it in the first place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> On 2014-12-16 04:51:45 +0000, Julie Bove said:

>>> Ahh, but It really IS ambiguous. Especially when the same recipe uses
>>> terms such as:
>>>
>>> 1 tablespoon minced onion
>>> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
>>> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
>>> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>>>
>>> We would assume it's 2 cups of cooked wild rice (judging by the amount
>>> of liquid in the recipe), but then look at the "cooked ham" ingredient
>>> which is specifically cooked before measuring. And the onion is
>>> measure minced, so then why isn't the carrot listed as "1/2 cup finely
>>> shredded carrot"? Then we have a third form of ambiguity using
>>> parenthesis as in "almonds (chopped)".
>>>
>>> The order of the terms used in this recipe are not consistent and
>>> could be confusing to some people. As an editor yourself I would
>>> think you would consider this bad form.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Yep. Certainly wouldn't work as written. The wild rice that I cooked
>> yesterday called for 2 cups of broth to 1/2 cup of rice. And it wasn't
>> soup.

> It would work as written. Properly done, this soup is very thick indeed.
> Almost a rice casserole in texture.
>
> I'm not sure if t

I really don't think it would. In fact I don't think that's even enough
liquid to cook the rice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
>> I'm not sure if t

> Damn Unison.
>
> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal" or
> not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it with Don
> Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>
> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
> food.com's version is authentic.

Then that rice must be different than what I have which claims to be the
real thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message
> On 2014-12-16 05:31:59 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex said:
>

>>> I'm not sure if t

>> Damn Unison.
>>
>> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it with
>> Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>>
>> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
>> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
>> food.com's version is authentic.

> http://lundsandbyerlys.com/recipe/wild-rice-soup/

Uh uh! Your version says 2 cups of cooked wild rice. That is not the same
as what Jill posted. Hers said 2 cups of wild rice, cooked. And that would
mean 2 cups of uncooked rice, then cooked. That would yield probably
something like 6-8 cups of cooked rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 19:28:27 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:20:12 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've been craving this soup. It's been years since I made it.
>>
>> http://www.food.com/recipe/byerlys-w...ce-soup-178083
>>
>> Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
>>
>> 6 tablespoons butter
>> 1 tablespoon minced onion
>> 1/2 cup flour
>> 3 cups chicken broth
>> 2 cups wild rice, cooked
>> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
>> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
>> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>> 1 cup half-and-half
>> 2 tablespoons dry sherry
>> snipped parsley (for garnish) or chives (for garnish)

>Is that 2 cups of cooked wild rice, or do you cook 2 cups of wild
>rice?
>
>:-)

That comma says 2 cups of cooked rice, not 2 cups of raw rice... which
of course is dumb since it's exceedingly rare to add cooked rice to a
home made soup... there's not nearly enough liquid in that recipe to
call it a soup anyway, more a pilaf. I'd question that 1/2 cup of
flour, that's enough to make library paste pudding, not soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>> I'm not sure if t

>Damn Unison.
>
>I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it
>with Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>
>I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
>vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
>food.com's version is authentic.

I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
TIAD.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:17:45 -0800, "Reggie" >
wrote:

>>> Damn Unison.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>>> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it with
>>> Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>>>

>I am the one that showed Byerly how to make it in the first place.

What a revolting moroon you are... you've never cooked anything, not
even water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:19:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Oregonian Haruspex" > wrote in message

>>> Yep. Certainly wouldn't work as written. The wild rice that I cooked
>>> yesterday called for 2 cups of broth to 1/2 cup of rice. And it wasn't
>>> soup.

>> It would work as written. Properly done, this soup is very thick indeed.
>> Almost a rice casserole in texture.
>>
>> I'm not sure if t

>I really don't think it would. In fact I don't think that's even enough
>liquid to cook the rice!

Correct! That's a recipe for landfill, written by an imbecile, WTF is
going to chop slivered almonds when it makes more sense to chop whole
almonds... reminds me of stoopid recipes that call for chopped Jumbo
shrimp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
> food.com's version is authentic.

That would be an interesting comparison.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>>> I'm not sure if t

>> Damn Unison.
>>
>> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it
>> with Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>>
>> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
>> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
>> food.com's version is authentic.

> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
> TIAD.

You don't know jack about wild rice. Us native Minnesotans know all
about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.

http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm

Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
wild rice hotdish.

Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous
for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:40:26 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> Us native Minnesotans know all
> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
> rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.

I need to find some of that stuff and see if I change my mind, because
I'm not fond of wild rice - it's too expensive to buy and then not
like. I see hand parched is more expensive than regular parched.
Does the method matter?

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 11:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
>> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
>> TIAD.
>>

> You don't know jack about wild rice. Us native Minnesotans know all
> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild rice
> is far superior and not that much more expensive.

Yep, the wild rice I have is hand-harvested.

> http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm
>
> Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
> use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
> wild rice hotdish.
>
> Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous for
> it.

It's a delicious soup! We tasted it at a restaurant in <gasp>
Minnesota! Of course, Sheldon doesn't like cream soups therefor no one
else should like them, either.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:19:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> I really don't think it would. In fact I don't think that's even enough
>> liquid to cook the rice!

DUH! You cook the wild rice *then* add it to the soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 14:56:32 +0000, sf said:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
>> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
>> food.com's version is authentic.

> That would be an interesting comparison.

She took the photo last night so here we go!

http://i.imgur.com/nsvBZLc.jpg

Note the ham, almonds, and carrots are considered optional in this
recipe book. The version of the book that she has is the first
printing - the current recipe on the Lunds / Byerlys web site doesn't
mention that these are optional.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 19:29:44 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:40:26 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
>> Us native Minnesotans know all
>> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
>> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
>> rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.

> I need to find some of that stuff and see if I change my mind, because
> I'm not fond of wild rice - it's too expensive to buy and then not
> like. I see hand parched is more expensive than regular parched.
> Does the method matter?

The real stuff goes for about $5 a pound. We usually buy ten pounds of
it a year or so, which isn't a terribly huge investment. I figure you
get about 3 cups of cooked rice from each cup of dry, so it ends up
being plenty and we eat it with abandon yet always seem to have a bit
left over when we go up to the cabin in the late summer, which is when
we buy more.

Yes, it's true - everybody in or even from Minesota has a cabin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Damn Unison.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if anybody else here can claim to have had the "real deal"
>>> or not, straight from the Byerly's restaurant, and to have eaten it
>>> with Don Byerly himself, but the amount of liquid sounds appropriate.
>>>
>>> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
>>> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
>>> food.com's version is authentic.

>> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
>> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
>> TIAD.
>>

>You don't know jack about wild rice. Us native Minnesotans know all
>about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
>cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
>rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.
>
>http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm
>
>Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
>use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
>wild rice hotdish.
>
>Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous
>for it.

Then that signature is a forgery. I cook wild rice all the time and
make wild rice soup often. I have a relative in MN who sends me wild
rice... I'm working on a ten pound bag now. That recipe is S H I T!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 11:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>> On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
>>> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
>>> TIAD.
>>>

>> You don't know jack about wild rice. Us native Minnesotans know all
>> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
>> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild rice
>> is far superior and not that much more expensive.
>>

> Yep, the wild rice I have is hand-harvested.
>
>> http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm
>>
>> Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
>> use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
>> wild rice hotdish.
>>
>> Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous for
>> it.
>>

> It's a delicious soup! We tasted it at a restaurant in <gasp> Minnesota!
> Of course, Sheldon doesn't like cream soups therefor no one else should like them, either.
>
> Jill

I love it too, and make it often in the winter--at least once a month if
not more. I don't follow any recipe in particular, but I prefer it with
chicken or turkey over the traditional ham Byerly's uses.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 4:53 PM, jinx the minx wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>> On 12/16/2014 11:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous for
>>> it.
>>>

>> It's a delicious soup! We tasted it at a restaurant in <gasp> Minnesota!
>> Of course, Sheldon doesn't like cream soups therefor no one else should like them, either.
>>
>> Jill

> I love it too, and make it often in the winter--at least once a month if
> not more. I don't follow any recipe in particular, but I prefer it with
> chicken or turkey over the traditional ham Byerly's uses.

I've had it with chicken but I do prefer ham in it (and I'm not a big
fan of ham!).

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 4:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Then that signature is a forgery. I cook wild rice all the time and
> make wild rice soup often.

16 quarts at a time, no doubt. Where are the pics?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:46:45 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-16 14:56:32 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I can email my mom and ask her to snap a photo of the recipe from her
> >> vintage Byerly's cookbook (signed by Don Byerly!) just to see if
> >> food.com's version is authentic.

> > That would be an interesting comparison.

> She took the photo last night so here we go!
>
> http://i.imgur.com/nsvBZLc.jpg
>
> Note the ham, almonds, and carrots are considered optional in this
> recipe book. The version of the book that she has is the first
> printing - the current recipe on the Lunds / Byerlys web site doesn't
> mention that these are optional.

Thanks!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:50:21 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

> On 2014-12-16 19:29:44 +0000, sf said:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:40:26 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Us native Minnesotans know all
> >> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
> >> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
> >> rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.

> > I need to find some of that stuff and see if I change my mind, because
> > I'm not fond of wild rice - it's too expensive to buy and then not
> > like. I see hand parched is more expensive than regular parched.
> > Does the method matter?

> The real stuff goes for about $5 a pound. We usually buy ten pounds of
> it a year or so, which isn't a terribly huge investment. I figure you
> get about 3 cups of cooked rice from each cup of dry, so it ends up
> being plenty and we eat it with abandon yet always seem to have a bit
> left over when we go up to the cabin in the late summer, which is when
> we buy more.
>
> Yes, it's true - everybody in or even from Minesota has a cabin.

$5? In that case, the Indians are making a killing over the internet!
Not worth it to pay for a plane ticket & lodging just to save $10 lb
though.

You didn't mention if there's a flavor difference between hand parched
and regular parched.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:01:45 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/16/2014 4:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Then that signature is a forgery. I cook wild rice all the time and
> > make wild rice soup often.

> 16 quarts at a time, no doubt. Where are the pics?

No pictures means he's lying.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 5:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:46:45 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-12-16 14:56:32 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 21:31:59 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex

>>> That would be an interesting comparison.

>> She took the photo last night so here we go!
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/nsvBZLc.jpg
>>
>> Note the ham, almonds, and carrots are considered optional in this
>> recipe book. The version of the book that she has is the first
>> printing - the current recipe on the Lunds / Byerlys web site doesn't
>> mention that these are optional.

> Thanks!

Infinitely better (IMHO) with the ham and shredded carrot. We all know
I avoid nuts/seeds.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 22:26:28 +0000, jmcquown said:

> On 12/16/2014 5:02 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:46:45 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> She took the photo last night so here we go!
>>>
>>> http://i.imgur.com/nsvBZLc.jpg
>>>
>>> Note the ham, almonds, and carrots are considered optional in this
>>> recipe book. The version of the book that she has is the first
>>> printing - the current recipe on the Lunds / Byerlys web site doesn't
>>> mention that these are optional.

>> Thanks!
>>

> Infinitely better (IMHO) with the ham and shredded carrot. We all know
> I avoid nuts/seeds.
>
> Jill

The carrot is there more for color than for flavor. I agree about the
ham though.

When I make this soup I do not use ham (as my wife doesn't eat it) but
instead I use smoked salt, which is a decent substitute for the smoky
flavor of ham when it can't be used.

We have also made this soup with smoked oysters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-12-16 22:05:14 +0000, sf said:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:50:21 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-12-16 19:29:44 +0000, sf said:

>>> I need to find some of that stuff and see if I change my mind, because
>>> I'm not fond of wild rice - it's too expensive to buy and then not
>>> like. I see hand parched is more expensive than regular parched.
>>> Does the method matter?

>> The real stuff goes for about $5 a pound. We usually buy ten pounds of
>> it a year or so, which isn't a terribly huge investment. I figure you
>> get about 3 cups of cooked rice from each cup of dry, so it ends up
>> being plenty and we eat it with abandon yet always seem to have a bit
>> left over when we go up to the cabin in the late summer, which is when
>> we buy more.
>>
>> Yes, it's true - everybody in or even from Minesota has a cabin.

> $5? In that case, the Indians are making a killing over the internet!
> Not worth it to pay for a plane ticket & lodging just to save $10 lb
> though.
>
> You didn't mention if there's a flavor difference between hand parched
> and regular parched.

I believe that the Indians sort the rice into grades, hand parch the
largest grains, and then machine-process the smaller ones. I know many
Leech Lake Ojibwe (my family has been in the area for over a century,
and I have some Ojibwe as family through marriage) so I will ask next
time I get into contact with somebody who would know for sure.

As for me, I've only ever had the hand-parched stuff.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:19:09 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> I really don't think it would. In fact I don't think that's even enough
>>> liquid to cook the rice!

> DUH! You cook the wild rice *then* add it to the soup.

But that's not how your recipe was written. sw did point this out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 19:28:27 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:20:12 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I've been craving this soup. It's been years since I made it.
>>>
>>> http://www.food.com/recipe/byerlys-w...ce-soup-178083
>>>
>>> Byerly's Wild Rice Soup
>>>
>>> 6 tablespoons butter
>>> 1 tablespoon minced onion
>>> 1/2 cup flour
>>> 3 cups chicken broth
>>> 2 cups wild rice, cooked
>>> 1/3 cup cooked ham, diced
>>> 1/2 cup carrot, finely shredded
>>> 3 tablespoons slivered almonds (chopped)
>>> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>>> 1 cup half-and-half
>>> 2 tablespoons dry sherry
>>> snipped parsley (for garnish) or chives (for garnish)

>>Is that 2 cups of cooked wild rice, or do you cook 2 cups of wild
>>rice?
>>
>>:-)

> That comma says 2 cups of cooked rice, not 2 cups of raw rice... which
> of course is dumb since it's exceedingly rare to add cooked rice to a
> home made soup... there's not nearly enough liquid in that recipe to
> call it a soup anyway, more a pilaf. I'd question that 1/2 cup of
> flour, that's enough to make library paste pudding, not soup.

Actually, no. When written like that it means two cups of raw rice that
have been cooked. If it was supposed to be two cups of cooked rice it would
say just that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 4:41 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> On 2014-12-16 22:05:14 +0000, sf said:
>
>> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:50:21 -0800, Oregonian Haruspex
>> > wrote:

>>> The real stuff goes for about $5 a pound. We usually buy ten
>>> pounds of
>>> it a year or so, which isn't a terribly huge investment. I figure you
>>> get about 3 cups of cooked rice from each cup of dry, so it ends up
>>> being plenty and we eat it with abandon yet always seem to have a bit
>>> left over when we go up to the cabin in the late summer, which is when
>>> we buy more.
>>>
>>> Yes, it's true - everybody in or even from Minesota has a cabin.

>> $5? In that case, the Indians are making a killing over the internet!
>> Not worth it to pay for a plane ticket & lodging just to save $10 lb
>> though.
>>
>> You didn't mention if there's a flavor difference between hand parched
>> and regular parched.

> I believe that the Indians sort the rice into grades, hand parch the
> largest grains, and then machine-process the smaller ones. I know
> many Leech Lake Ojibwe (my family has been in the area for over a
> century, and I have some Ojibwe as family through marriage) so I will
> ask next time I get into contact with somebody who would know for sure.
>
> As for me, I've only ever had the hand-parched stuff.

I've had both. The hand parched stuff has a somewhat lighter flavor,
but it isn't dramatically different from the machine parched. Hand
parched is lighter-colored, too, many kernels still having a slight
greenish-brown tint. They both cook up much more quickly than the
black paddy rice. Also unlike the paddy rice, the cooked kernels are
not hard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 2:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/16/2014 11:40 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>> On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
>>> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
>>> TIAD.
>>>

>> You don't know jack about wild rice. Us native Minnesotans know all
>> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
>> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild rice
>> is far superior and not that much more expensive.
>>

> Yep, the wild rice I have is hand-harvested.
>
>> http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm
>>
>> Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
>> use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
>> wild rice hotdish.
>>
>> Also, that wild rice soup is Byerly's signature dish. They're famous
>> for
>> it.
>>

> It's a delicious soup! We tasted it at a restaurant in <gasp>
> Minnesota! Of course, Sheldon doesn't like cream soups therefor no
> one else should like them, either.

I spent a weekend recently in New Ulm, Minnesota, when they held their
annual Christkindlmarkt. The market had a small cafe serving
traditional German foods - and wild rice soup, too. Of course. It's
traditional Minnesota fare.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 9:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:40:26 -0600, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> On 12/16/2014 8:26 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>> I'd not want the "real deal". Thats not a recipe I'd consider, it's
>>> definitely a WASTE of expensive wild rice. This Byerly putz is pure
>>> TIAD.

>> You don't know jack about wild rice.

> You can add that to the long list of other things he doesn't know
> about but feels the need to spout off about.
>
>> Us native Minnesotans know all
>> about it - and, as Oregonian Haruspex mentioned, the black paddy-grown
>> cultivated 'wild' rice is garbage. The genuine hand-harvested wild
>> rice is far superior and not that much more expensive.
>>
>> http://www.bineshiiwildrice.com/GOURMET_WILD_R.htm
>>
>> Wild rice soup is one of the classic uses of wild rice, along with its
>> use as a poultry stuffing, pilaf, and of course, the main component of
>> wild rice hotdish.

> My current, unopened bag of Moose Lake Wild Rice (not cultivated -
> looks different than other wild rices I've bought) comes with a
> leaflet of recipes including wild rice soup. It's hamburger and
> tomato based, so I think I'll pass on that one. Ground beef doesn't
> belong in soup. But some of the other recipes look decent.
>
> http://www.mooselakewildrice.com/recipes.html
>
> Ironically, the leaflet has a Wild Rice and Grape Salad recipe, but
> the grapes have been taken out of the recipe shown on the website
> above. I wonder if they did that because of the beating that the New
> York Times food editors received over publishing that Infamous
> Minnesota Thanksgiving Grape Salad recipe?

That would be hilarious if that's the case.

One of my uncles and one of my brothers used to harvest their own wild
rice. There's a couple of lakes where the wild rice has exceptionally
long kernels. They'd harvest that, then have it processed, and share
it with the family. It's very strenuous work to hand-harvest the rice.
My brother would pole the canoe while my uncle worked the sticks to
knock the rice into the bottom of the boat. Do that all day and you're
pretty much beat by the time you pull the canoe on shore. You often
can find other folks on shore selling the rice they've just harvested
for fairly cheap - but then you have to pay to have it processed, or
parch it yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 4:38 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> The carrot is there more for color than for flavor. I agree about the
> ham though.
>
> When I make this soup I do not use ham (as my wife doesn't eat it) but
> instead I use smoked salt, which is a decent substitute for the smoky
> flavor of ham when it can't be used.
>
> We have also made this soup with smoked oysters.

Oh, that sounds good. I love vegetables - the more, the merrier - so
when I make it I always include lots and lots of whatever veggies I
have on hand, along with largish chunks of chicken or turkey. Also,
mushrooms. Dunno why, but the ham just doesn't do it for me in wild
rice soup.

Since we're discussing Byerly's wild rice soup, here's another
Minnesota company's version of wild rice soup to compa

Land O Lakes Northwoods Wild Rice Soup

3 tablespoons Land O Lakes Butter, melted
2 medium carrots, shredded
2 ribs (1 cup) celery, sliced 1/2-inch
1 medium (1/2 cup) onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 quart (4 cups) Land O Lakes® Half & Half
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
3 cups cooked wild rice
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cubed 1-inch
8 ounces (1 cup) cooked ham, cubed 1/2-inch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions
Melt butter in 6-quart saucepan until sizzling; add carrots, celery
and onion. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion
and celery is softened. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute or until bubbly.
Add broth, sherry and half & half. Stir until smooth. Add all
remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated
through (15 to 20 minutes).

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/196...wild-rice-soup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 07:05:08 -0600, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

> One of my uncles and one of my brothers used to harvest their own wild
> rice. There's a couple of lakes where the wild rice has exceptionally
> long kernels. They'd harvest that, then have it processed, and share
> it with the family. It's very strenuous work to hand-harvest the rice.
> My brother would pole the canoe while my uncle worked the sticks to
> knock the rice into the bottom of the boat. Do that all day and you're
> pretty much beat by the time you pull the canoe on shore. You often
> can find other folks on shore selling the rice they've just harvested
> for fairly cheap - but then you have to pay to have it processed, or
> parch it yourself.

Folks in Italy harvest their own olives and then pay to have them
turned into oil, so why not pay to have the wild rice you just
harvested parched? It seems logical to me.

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/16/2014 10:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:28:21 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> It's a delicious soup! We tasted it at a restaurant in <gasp>
>> Minnesota! Of course, Sheldon doesn't like cream soups therefor no one
>> else should like them, either.

> I will try this but 1/2 cup of flour as thickener for a quart of
> liquid is way too much. That would be near a pudding consistency.
>
> -sw

Wing it.

Jill