Kate Connally

Default WANTED: Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe

Hi,
My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
might have had some coolwhip also.

If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
it with me.

TIA,
Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Margaret Suran

Kate Connally wrote:
> Hi,
> My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> might have had some coolwhip also.
>
> If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> it with me.
>
> TIA,
> Kate

Kate, I have the Waldorf Astoria Cookbook and there is nothing in it
that sounds at all like what you are trying to find. (

I don't believe that any of the restaurants in that hotel ever served
something with Coolwhip or mini marshmallows. Have you tried
contacting the hotel? They might be able to help you.

SBarbour

Kate,

I made an Waldorf salad last Christmas that sounds similar to the one your
aunt made. I based the recipe on one that I found in a relatively common
cookbook --- I can't recall which one, but it was probably Betty Crocker or
Better Homes & Gardens. Anyway, I used either mayo or sour cream and cool
whip in the dressing, and walnuts and mini-marshmallows in the salad with a
variety of fruit and berries. Dried cranberries sound like a good addition
the next time I make it!

If you still have trouble locating a recipe, let me know and I'll check to
see if I wrote down the recipe I used and post it later.

Thanks,
Sharon

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Hi,
> My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> might have had some coolwhip also.
>
> If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> it with me.
>
> TIA,
> Kate
>
> --
> Kate Connally
> "If I were as old as I feel, I'd be dead already."
> Goldfish: "The wholesome snack that smiles back,
> Until you bite their heads off."
> What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

Kate Connally

Margaret Suran wrote:

> Kate Connally wrote:
> > Hi,
> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> > might have had some coolwhip also.
> >
> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> > it with me.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Kate
> >

> Kate, I have the Waldorf Astoria Cookbook and there is nothing in it
> that sounds at all like what you are trying to find. (
>
> I don't believe that any of the restaurants in that hotel ever served
> something with Coolwhip or mini marshmallows. Have you tried
> contacting the hotel? They might be able to help you.

Margaret,
It's not "real" Waldorf Salad. It's just a recipe that
someone named after the Waldorf Salad because of the
apples and nuts, etc., in it - because it has similar
ingredients. But thanks for checking
anyway.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kate Connally

SBarbour wrote:

> Kate,
>
> I made an Waldorf salad last Christmas that sounds similar to the one your
> aunt made. I based the recipe on one that I found in a relatively common
> cookbook --- I can't recall which one, but it was probably Betty Crocker or
> Better Homes & Gardens. Anyway, I used either mayo or sour cream and cool
> whip in the dressing, and walnuts and mini-marshmallows in the salad with a
> variety of fruit and berries. Dried cranberries sound like a good addition
> the next time I make it!
>
> If you still have trouble locating a recipe, let me know and I'll check to
> see if I wrote down the recipe I used and post it later.

Sharon,
I just talked with my aunt again and got some clarification.
She thinks she was wrong about the sour cream and that it
just had cool whip. However the ingredients were just cran-
berries, apples, grapes, nuts, and mini-marshmallows. She
thinks some sugar was mixed with the cranberries to sweeten
them before they were combined with the other ingredients.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

texpat

This sounds a lot like what I call "Aunt Evy's Cranberry Sauce". At least it
should give your aunt a good starting place.

Sprinkle 1 C. sugar over a package (10 oz?) of ground cranberries.
Refrigerate overnight. Mix in a bunch of halved, green seedless grapes and a
handful (1/2 C?) of chopped pecans, then enough whipped cream to make it
stick together, probably about 1 C.

Very scientific, precise recipe, huh?

"Kate Connally" > wrote in message
> Margaret Suran wrote:
>>
>> Kate Connally wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
>> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
>> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
>> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
>> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
>> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
>> > might have had some coolwhip also.
>> >
>> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
>> > it with me.

Wayne Boatwright

Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> Hi,
> My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> might have had some coolwhip also.
>
> If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> it with me.
>
> TIA,
> Kate

Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...

Cranberry Waldorf Salad

1 bag fresh cranberries
1 cup sugar
2 cups mini-marshmallows
2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite

Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of white
mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.

Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add more or
less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then transfer salad
into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.

Boldly stolen from Cathie Linz

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Peter Aitken

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hi,
> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> > might have had some coolwhip also.
> >
> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> > it with me.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Kate

> Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...
>
> Cranberry Waldorf Salad
>
> 1 bag fresh cranberries
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 cups mini-marshmallows
> 2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
> 3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite
>
> Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
> cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of white
> mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.
>
> Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add more or
> less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then transfer salad
> into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.

No offense, but ... any recipe that has marshmallows *or* cool whip in it
should be consigned to the garbage. Any recipe that has *both* in it should
be buried in the radioactive waste dump.

Jeez, there is so much delicious food out there, why would anyone come up
with such a horror?

--
Peter Aitken

Wayne Boatwright

Incredulously, "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
. com:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
>> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
>> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
>> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
>> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
>> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
>> > might have had some coolwhip also.
>> >
>> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
>> > it with me.
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Kate

>> Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...
>>
>> Cranberry Waldorf Salad
>>
>> 1 bag fresh cranberries
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 cups mini-marshmallows
>> 2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
>> 3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
>> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>> 1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite
>>
>> Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
>> cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of
>> white mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.
>>
>> Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add
>> more or less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then
>> transfer salad into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.
>>

> No offense, but ... any recipe that has marshmallows *or* cool whip in
> it should be consigned to the garbage. Any recipe that has *both* in
> it should be buried in the radioactive waste dump.
>
> Jeez, there is so much delicious food out there, why would anyone come
> up with such a horror?

Sorry, but offense taken, Peter. I never said this was a good recipe, nor
is it mine and I have never made it. I simply supplied what was
requested. On the occasions where I can help, I like to see people get
what they want, whether or not it coincides with my personal taste.

Why don't you get off your high horse?

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
PENMART01

>"Peter Aitken" writes:
>
>No offense, but ... any recipe that has marshmallows *or* cool whip in
>it should be consigned to the garbage. Any recipe that has *both* in
>it should be buried in the radioactive waste dump.

Hey, nothing the matter with real marshmallows... toasted lovingly over a hot
wood fire to an oozy sweet inside and deep golden brown outside an old
fashioned Campfire brand marshmallow is about as perfect a recipe there is...
no other food is a better accompaniment to a bottle of the bubbly. And I've
known folks who would literally kill for a box of Mallowmars. Marshmallows are
great in lots of recipes, a raft of em floating in rich hot chocolate is
orgasmic, and rocky road ice cream ain't too shabby either.... not to mention
Joyva chocolate covered marshmallow twists, frozen, bet ya can't eat just
forty! In confectionary nomenclature marshmallow is quite important, it's
classified as a type of nougat, there are an awful lot of heavenly treats
wouldn't exist but for marshmallow... and I ain't talkin' peeps. Now Cool
Whip, that's totally off topic, Cool Whip ain't even food, I believe it's
classified as a petroleum product, I think cooked, Cool Whip becomes styrofoam.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Peter Aitken

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> Incredulously, "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
> . com:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> >> Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
> >> :

> >> Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...
> >>
> >> Cranberry Waldorf Salad
> >>
> >> 1 bag fresh cranberries
> >> 1 cup sugar
> >> 2 cups mini-marshmallows
> >> 2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
> >> 3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
> >> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> >> 1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite
> >>
> >> Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
> >> cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of
> >> white mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.
> >>
> >> Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add
> >> more or less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then
> >> transfer salad into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.
> >>

> > No offense, but ... any recipe that has marshmallows *or* cool whip in
> > it should be consigned to the garbage. Any recipe that has *both* in
> > it should be buried in the radioactive waste dump.
> >
> > Jeez, there is so much delicious food out there, why would anyone come
> > up with such a horror?

> Sorry, but offense taken, Peter. I never said this was a good recipe, nor
> is it mine and I have never made it. I simply supplied what was
> requested. On the occasions where I can help, I like to see people get
> what they want, whether or not it coincides with my personal taste.
>
> Why don't you get off your high horse?

My comment was not aimed at you. If you are willing to supply recipes to
people who request them, then good for you. I was cmomenting about the
recipe itself and the notion, strange to me, that people would actively seek
out such.

My "high horse" in this case is the preference for good food over bad, and I
hope *never* to get off it. Do you really think I should?

--
Peter Aitken

PENMART01

>Kate Connally > wrote in

Jeeze, I was skimming and my old eyes could have sworn they saw "My aunt lost
her cherry" hehe <rec.food.porn>

Waldorf Salad recipe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>Kate Connally > wrote in

Jeeze, I was skimming and my old eyes could have sworn they saw "My aunt lost
her cherry" hehe <rec.food.porn>

Waldorf Salad recipe

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Wayne Boatwright

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in
om:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Incredulously, "Peter Aitken" > wrote in
>> . com:

>> > No offense, but ... any recipe that has marshmallows *or* cool whip
>> > in it should be consigned to the garbage. Any recipe that has
>> > *both* in it should be buried in the radioactive waste dump.
>> >
>> > Jeez, there is so much delicious food out there, why would anyone
>> > come up with such a horror?

>> Sorry, but offense taken, Peter. I never said this was a good recipe,
>> nor is it mine and I have never made it. I simply supplied what was
>> requested. On the occasions where I can help, I like to see people
>> get what they want, whether or not it coincides with my personal
>> taste.
>>
>> Why don't you get off your high horse?
>>

> My comment was not aimed at you. If you are willing to supply recipes
> to people who request them, then good for you. I was cmomenting about
> the recipe itself and the notion, strange to me, that people would
> actively seek out such.
>
> My "high horse" in this case is the preference for good food over bad,
> and I hope *never* to get off it. Do you really think I should?

I don't disagree with your preference, and I share similar feelings about
my personal tastes. However, I would not have criticized something that
was specifically directed to someone else. We obviously differ on that
point.

Cheers!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Kate Connally

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
> :
>
> > Hi,
> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
> > might have had some coolwhip also.
> >
> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
> > it with me.
> >
> > TIA,
> > Kate

> Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...
>
> Cranberry Waldorf Salad
>
> 1 bag fresh cranberries
> 1 cup sugar
> 2 cups mini-marshmallows
> 2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
> 3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite
>
> Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
> cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of white
> mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.
>
> Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add more or
> less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then transfer salad
> into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.
>
> Boldly stolen from Cathie Linz

Wayne,
I think you hit the jackpot here. I called my
aunt and read it to her and she's pretty sure it's
the right one. Hooray!

As for those who think this is "bad" food. Well,
it's not exactly to my taste but I'd probably eat
it. Even worse than the coolwhip, imo, are the
walnuts! Blecch! Anyway, if I saw a recipe like
this that sounded good in general except for a few
things I would just change it. If I made it I would
leave out the nuts and use real whipped cream instead
of coolwhip. That's the sort of thing I do with
various casseroles that call for various canned soups.
I just make my own white sauce and use that instead
of the canned soup.

Anyway, I thank you and my aunt thanks you!

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Wayne Boatwright

Kate Connally > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> Incredulously, Kate Connally > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > My aunt lost her Cranberry Waldorf Salad recipe
>> > and asked me to try to find it for her on the internet.
>> > I googled and found many of them. but they are unfortunately
>> > not the one she had. It is not a gelatin salad. It is
>> > similar to Ambrosia. It had miniature marshmallows in
>> > it. Also sour cream. She's not sure but she thinks it
>> > might have had some coolwhip also.
>> >
>> > If anyone has this recipe I'd appreciate their sharing
>> > it with me.
>> >
>> > TIA,
>> > Kate

>> Kate, I think this is exactly the recipe your aunt is looking for...
>>
>> Cranberry Waldorf Salad
>>
>> 1 bag fresh cranberries
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 2 cups mini-marshmallows
>> 2 apples cut up into bite-size pieces
>> 3/4 cup of seedless green grapes cut in half
>> 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
>> 1 carton Cool Whip or Cool Whip lite
>>
>> Night Befo In a food processor or chopper, grind 1 bag of fresh
>> cranberries. Put in large bowl and add 1 cup of sugar and 2 cups of
>> white mini-marshmallows. Place in fridge overnight.
>>
>> Remove bowl from fridge. Add apples, grapes and nuts (you can add
>> more or less to taste). Fold in 1 carton of Cool Whip and then
>> transfer salad into serving bowl. Keep chilled until served.
>>
>> Boldly stolen from Cathie Linz

> Wayne,
> I think you hit the jackpot here. I called my
> aunt and read it to her and she's pretty sure it's
> the right one. Hooray!
>
> As for those who think this is "bad" food. Well,
> it's not exactly to my taste but I'd probably eat
> it. Even worse than the coolwhip, imo, are the
> walnuts! Blecch! Anyway, if I saw a recipe like
> this that sounded good in general except for a few
> things I would just change it. If I made it I would
> leave out the nuts and use real whipped cream instead
> of coolwhip. That's the sort of thing I do with
> various casseroles that call for various canned soups.
> I just make my own white sauce and use that instead
> of the canned soup.
>
> Anyway, I thank you and my aunt thanks you!
>
> Kate

You're both very welcome, Kate! I'm glad I was able to find it, and I
hope your aunt enjoys it.

I'm with you, in that I often will change what I might consider an
undesirable ingredient for one that I like. However, I do happen to like
walnuts, in fact all nuts.