Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wanted: A Good Potato Salad Recipe Please

Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.

Thank You,

gene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 8:49*am, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *
>
> Thank You,
>
> gene

Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel,
dice and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready
to go. The warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.

It takes longer but.........

I like to add some pickle juice to my dressing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/08/2010 13:49, e-mail from gene wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.

This was my mum's recipe:

5-6 large (washed) baking potatoes
4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
4-5 kosher dill pickles (Mrs Elswood Haimisha pickled cucumbers, in UK)
1 tbls celery seeds
2-3 heaping tbls Hellmann's/Best Foods mayonnaise
2-3 tbls American mustard (as opposed to English or Dijon)

Boil the potatoes with their skins on until just tender. Drain and
spread out to cool while chopping the onions. Cut the warm potatoes
into roughly 1/2" - 3/4" pieces (you can peel them or not. I don't, but
mum did), chuck them into a large bowl, top with celery seeds, then
onions (the heat makes these two ingredients soften a bit while you're
cutting up other stuff). Then add the eggs, pickles, mayo and mustard
and mix well. Leave, covered, in the fridge to go cold.

Always a hit wherever I take it.

-Jen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 08:49:30 -0400, e-mail from gene wrote:

> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.
>
> Thank You,
>
> gene

first, catch your potato.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

2 lbs white, yellow, or red potatoes (not Russets), sliced into medium chunks
Cider vinegar (up to 1/4 cup)
Sea Salt
1/4 cup finely diced shallot
two or three hard-boiled eggs, chopped
2 to 4 ounces firm tofu, diced small
3 stalks celery, diced medium-small
Black pepper
2 T Ojai "Lemonnaise Light"
1 T Sierra Nevada "Pale Ale mustard"
1 t Trader Joe's "21 Seasoning Salute" or 1/2 t "Bay Seasoning"
or your own herb combination
1 T EVOO
Fresh Ground Pepper

Boil potatoes, drain, and immediately add vinegar, salt, and shallot.
Let set 10 minutes (to let steam escape). Re-drain if necessary.

Add other ingredients and stir minimally to combine.

Refrigerate a minimum of four hours. I think it's best at about
8 to 12 hours refrigeration.

Note: if you're using Bay Seasoning, lessen the amount of salt,
and you can apply some of it in the first step to the potatoes.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jen wrote on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:12:34 +0100:

> On 26/08/2010 13:49, e-mail from gene wrote:
>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a
>> good Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.

> This was my mum's recipe:

> 5-6 large (washed) baking potatoes
> 4-5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
> 2 medium yellow onions, finely diced
> 4-5 kosher dill pickles (Mrs Elswood Haimisha pickled
> cucumbers, in UK) 1 tbls celery seeds
> 2-3 heaping tbls Hellmann's/Best Foods mayonnaise
> 2-3 tbls American mustard (as opposed to English or Dijon)

> Boil the potatoes with their skins on until just tender. Drain and
> spread out to cool while chopping the onions. Cut
> the warm potatoes into roughly 1/2" - 3/4" pieces (you can
> peel them or not. I don't, but mum did), chuck them into a
> large bowl, top with celery seeds, then onions (the heat makes
> these two ingredients soften a bit while you're cutting up
> other stuff). Then add the eggs, pickles, mayo and mustard and mix
> well. Leave, covered, in the fridge to go cold.

> Always a hit wherever I take it.

It looks good to me except there are many more pickles than I would use
and I prefer cornichons unless I happen to have half-done Kosher
pickles. I don't like regular Kosher Dills.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia replied to gene:

>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
>> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.

> Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel, dice
> and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready to go. The
> warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.
>
> It takes longer but.........
>
> I like to add some pickle juice to my dressing.

I concur with all of that, and my potato salad recipe is:

2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
3 tablespoons dill pickle juice, plus 1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickles
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 onion, red (small), chopped fine
1 rib celery, chopped fine
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice (optional)

1. Place potatoes in large saucepan with a couple teaspoons of salt and cold
water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to
medium-low, and simmer until potatoes are fork tender. Do not overcook the
potatoes or they'll fall apart. Let drain and cool briefly, then use a tea
towel to rub the skins off.[1] Cut pieces either into 3/4-inch dice or
1/2-inch rounds (whichever you prefer).

2. Spread potato pieces out in a glass bowl.[2] Mix 2 tablespoons pickle
juice and mustard together in small bowl, drizzle pickle juice mixture over
potatoes, and toss until evenly coated. Refrigerate until cooled, about 30
minutes.

3. Mix remaining tablespoon pickle juice, chopped pickles, remaining 1/2
teaspoon salt, pepper, celery seed, mayonnaise, sour cream, red onion, and
celery in large bowl. Toss in cooled potatoes, cover, and refrigerate until
well chilled, about 30 minutes. (Salad can be refrigerated in airtight
container for up to 2 days.) Gently stir in eggs, if using, just before
serving.[3]

Serves 4 to 6.

BOB'S NOTES:

[1] Cooking the potatoes in their skin retains more potato flavor.

[2] Any big-enough vessel would do, but you don't want it to be an aluminum
or cast-iron container, which could impart blackening and an off-taste by
reacting with the acids in the pickle juice and mustard.

[3] If you put the eggs into the potato salad earlier, they harden to an
unpleasant texture.

[4] Some idiots think onions don't belong in potato salad. If you see that
opinion expressed, you'll know you're reading the opinion of an idiot.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *

I'm sure you'll find this inadequate, but I learned to make
potato salad from my grandmother and neither she nor
I have ever actually measured.

Dressing:

mayonnaise
enough cider vinegar to thin the mayonnaise
a little sugar to correct the sourness
enough yellow mustard to make it interesting
salt
pepper

Boiled potatoes, cut in chunks
chopped onion
chopped celery
optional: sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives

Mix the dressing ingredients. Start with the mayonnaise,
then add the other ingredients little by little until it tastes
good to you. Note: it's surprising how strong the dressing
flavors must be to overcome the blandness of the potatoes.

Add the dressing to the vegetables. You can add hard-boiled
eggs if you wish. Grandma always topped hers with
neatly sliced eggs and sprinkled paprika over all.

Modern thinking holds that you should moisten the
hot potatoes with some sort of vinaigrette, and then
add the mayonnaise dressing. I've never tried it,
but it sound intriguing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 06:25:16 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Aug 26, 8:49*am, (e-mail from gene)
> wrote:
> > Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> > Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *
> >
> > Thank You,
> >
> > gene

> Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel,
> dice and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready
> to go. The warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.
>
> It takes longer but.........
>
> I like to add some pickle juice to my dressing.

You should include your recipe. If I was the OP, I'd be tossing hot
potatoes with mayonnaise.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 5:49*am, (e-mail from gene)
wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *

I notice a number of misguided people gave you recipes for egg salad
with potatoes. Here's a real potato salad recipe:

http://www.jamesbeard.org/index.php?...w/potato_salad

My standard is similar, but instead of white wine and vinegar, I use
two tablespoons of vinegar, and instead of half a cup of parsley, I
chop two stalks of celery. I shake the oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper
in a jar before pouring on the drained, sliced, potatoes.

Note that waxy potatoes will retain their shape as slices, while
baking potatoes will turn into mush.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Here's mine:

Steakhouse Potato Salad

Serving Size: 4 - 6

A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
tablespoon hot water
1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
1 heaping cup sour cream
3 large-ish green onions, sliced OR 1 shallot diced
8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender

Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
but not burned. Drain well and cool. OR place bacon strips on a
baking sheet and cook in the oven. Drain, cool, and chop.

While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
a bowl.

Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
until
smooth. Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight
before
serving.

Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
mayo to
sour cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 12:32:10 -0700 (PDT):

> Steakhouse Potato Salad

> Serving Size: 4 - 6

> A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

> 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> tablespoon hot water
> 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> 1 heaping cup sour cream
> 3 large-ish green onions, sliced OR 1 shallot diced
> 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until
> tender

> Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

> Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly
> until crisp but not burned. Drain well and cool. OR place
> bacon strips on a baking sheet and cook in the oven. Drain,
> cool, and chop.

> While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size
> chunks in a bowl.

> Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring
> together until
> smooth. Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or
> overnight before
> serving.

I have a number of potato salads from different parts of the worls.
Here's a listing of names. If any interest you let me know.

Aloo Chat (Indian Potato Salad)

Basil Potato Salad

Indian Sprout Chaat Salad

Lime-thyme Potato Salad

Potato Salad (Low-fat Epicure)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 3:32*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> Here's mine:
>
> Steakhouse Potato Salad
>
> Serving Size: 4 - 6
>
> A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.
>
> 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> tablespoon hot water
> 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> 1 heaping cup sour cream
> 3 large-ish green onions, sliced *OR 1 shallot diced
> 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender
>
> Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.
>
> Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> but not burned. *Drain well and cool. *OR place bacon strips on a
> baking sheet and cook in the oven. *Drain, cool, and chop.
>
> While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
> a bowl.
>
> Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
> until
> smooth. *Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight
> before
> serving.
>
> Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
> mayo to
> sour cream.

That sounds like a hell of a lot of sour cream, mayonnaise and stock
for 8 or 10 small potatoes! e.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 3:02*pm, lainie > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:32*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
>

> > Here's mine:

> > Steakhouse Potato Salad

> > Serving Size: 4 - 6

> > A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

> > 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> > tablespoon hot water
> > 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> > 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> > 1 heaping cup sour cream
> > 3 large-ish green onions, sliced *OR 1 shallot diced
> > 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender

> > Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

> > Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> > but not burned. *Drain well and cool. *OR place bacon strips on a
> > baking sheet and cook in the oven. *Drain, cool, and chop.

> > While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
> > a bowl.

> > Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
> > until
> > smooth. *Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> > potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight
> > before
> > serving.

> > Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
> > mayo to
> > sour cream.

> That sounds like a hell of a lot of sour cream, mayonnaise and stock
> for 8 or 10 small potatoes! e.- Hide quoted text -

Actually that should have been 8-10 MEDIUM potatoes. And it ain't a
hell of a lot of sour cream and may unless you like dry as a bone
potato salad.

Where's your recipe??????????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 4:07*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> On Aug 26, 3:02*pm, lainie > wrote:
>

> > On Aug 26, 3:32*pm, itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> > > Here's mine:

> > > Steakhouse Potato Salad

> > > Serving Size: 4 - 6

> > > A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

> > > 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> > > tablespoon hot water
> > > 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> > > 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> > > 1 heaping cup sour cream
> > > 3 large-ish green onions, sliced *OR 1 shallot diced
> > > 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender

> > > Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

> > > Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> > > but not burned. *Drain well and cool. *OR place bacon strips on a
> > > baking sheet and cook in the oven. *Drain, cool, and chop.

> > > While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
> > > a bowl.

> > > Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
> > > until
> > > smooth. *Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> > > potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or overnight
> > > before
> > > serving.

> > > Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
> > > mayo to
> > > sour cream.

> > That sounds like a hell of a lot of sour cream, mayonnaise and stock
> > for 8 or 10 small potatoes! e.- Hide quoted text -

> Actually that should have been 8-10 MEDIUM potatoes. *And it ain't a
> hell of a lot of sour cream and may unless you like dry as a bone
> potato salad.
>
> Where's your recipe??????????- Hide quoted text -

potatoes
eggs
celery
radish (if I have any)
onion
pickles
hellman's mayo
(I made it a couple of weeks ago and subbed celery for edamame)

I peel & cut up the potatoes in small pieces first, then boil for 10
mins (I use a timer, since I hate mushy potato salad). Memories of my
mother-in-law peeling the skins off hot potatoes still
remains....Could never figure that out! e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2010 9:25 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Aug 26, 8:49 am, (e-mail from gene)
> wrote:
>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
>> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> gene

> Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel,
> dice and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready
> to go. The warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.

For sure, its too late if they are cold. I never remove the skins. I use
unpeeled Yukon gold and red potatoes, cube, boil then dress.

> It takes longer but.........
>
> I like to add some pickle juice to my dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 26, 4:05*pm, George > wrote:

> > Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel,
> > dice *and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready
> > to go. *The warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.

> I never remove the skins. I use
> unpeeled Yukon gold and red potatoes, cube, boil then dress.

Me neither. My potatoes are verrrry well scrubbed, boiled until
tender, and then rough cut up into bitesize chunks. I pick for
uniform size potatoes with no blemishes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *
>
> Thank You,
>
> gene

Don't know your taste. Find a recipe that has ingredients you like.
Tips to make the Potato salad best:
Use anything but Idaho russet potatoes. Look for "new potatoes". Red
skin are excellent. Yukon Gold are also excellent. You want a "waxy"
potato which will not fall apart.

Cook with the skins on. Peel after cooking. I actually microwave the
potatoes. Boiling them for me causes too much flavor loss.

Mix up the dressing per the recipe. Set half of it aside and in the
the other half, add a couple tablespoons of vinegar and an equal
amount of water.

Once the potatoes are cooked, cut them into bite size chunks and put
into your mixing bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix in the
your aromatic veggies (usually onions, celery, etc), then toss with
the thinned out half of the dressing. Do this while the potatoes are
still hot. They will absorb most of this dressing. Mix in the rest of
your ingredients. When the salad is cooled off completely, toss in the
rest of the dressing.

This tip came from America's test kitchen, and it works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Aug 26, 8:49 am, (e-mail from gene)
> wrote:
>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
>> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> gene

> Boil your spuds with skins on, then when you can handle them, peel,
> dice and toss with your dressing which should be prepared and ready
> to go. The warm potatoe absorbs the dressing better than a cold one.
>
> It takes longer but.........
>
> I like to add some pickle juice to my dressing.

Yes, yes, yes to that technique!!! It is critical, IMO.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

e-mail from gene wrote:
> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try.
>
> Thank You,
>
> gene

Do you have any particular characteristics in mind? For example,
with mayonnaise or with no mayonnaise?

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> I have a number of potato salads from different parts of the worls. Here's
> a listing of names. If any interest you let me know.
>
> Aloo Chat (Indian Potato Salad)
>
> Basil Potato Salad
>
> Indian Sprout Chaat Salad
>
> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
>
> Potato Salad (Low-fat Epicure)

I'd be interested in the recipe for the lime-thyme potato salad, s'il vous
plait.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:00:23 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
> wrote:

> James wrote:
>
> > I have a number of potato salads from different parts of the worls. Here's
> > a listing of names. If any interest you let me know.
> >
> > Aloo Chat (Indian Potato Salad)
> >
> > Basil Potato Salad
> >
> > Indian Sprout Chaat Salad
> >
> > Lime-thyme Potato Salad
> >
> > Potato Salad (Low-fat Epicure)

> I'd be interested in the recipe for the lime-thyme potato salad, s'il vous
> plait.

Heh. I tried to find that one on the internet too. I didn't did find
a potato salad recipe that sounded good to me, but I found this one
and I plan to make it soon.

Lime-Thyme Potatoes
By grandma2969 on June 09, 2005
http://www.food.com/

Serves: 6

Ingredients

o 1/4 cup margarine, melted
o 1 tablespoon lime juice
o 1 teaspoon lime zest
o 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
o 3 large potatoes
o 1/4 cup romano cheese
o 1/2 teaspoon salt
o 1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the margarine, lime juice, lime peel, and
thyme.
2. Cut a potato into 8 wedges.
3. Add to mixture.
4. toss to coat thoroughly.
5. Place wedges skin side down on a greased baking sheet.
6. Bake till almost tender at 400° F.
7. Combine cheese, salt and pepper and sprinkle over potatoes.
8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or tender.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Thu, 26 Aug 2010 21:58:11 -0700:

>> James wrote:
>>
> >> I have a number of potato salads from different parts of
> >> the worls. Here's a listing of names. If any interest you
> >> let me know.
> >>
> >> Aloo Chat (Indian Potato Salad)
> >>
> >> Basil Potato Salad
> >>
> >> Indian Sprout Chaat Salad
> >>
> >> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
> >>
> >> Potato Salad (Low-fat Epicure)

>> I'd be interested in the recipe for the lime-thyme potato
>> salad, s'il vous plait.
>>

> Heh. I tried to find that one on the internet too. I didn't
> did find a potato salad recipe that sounded good to me, but I
> found this one and I plan to make it soon.

> Lime-Thyme Potatoes
> By grandma2969 on June 09, 2005
> http://www.food.com/

> Serves: 6

> Ingredients

> o 1/4 cup margarine, melted
> o 1 tablespoon lime juice
> o 1 teaspoon lime zest
> o 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
> o 3 large potatoes
> o 1/4 cup romano cheese
> o 1/2 teaspoon salt
> o 1/4 teaspoon paprika

> Directions

> 1. In a large bowl, combine the margarine, lime juice, lime
> peel, and
> thyme.
> 2. Cut a potato into 8 wedges.
> 3. Add to mixture.
> 4. toss to coat thoroughly.
> 5. Place wedges skin side down on a greased baking sheet.
> 6. Bake till almost tender at 400° F.
> 7. Combine cheese, salt and pepper and sprinkle over potatoes.
> 8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or tender.

Sounds good! I'd never thought of using the combination of lime and
thyme until I saw the potato salad recipe (unfortunately a rather old
one and I don't have its source.)

Lime-thyme Potato Salad

4 cups cooked potato cubes

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sour cream

1/2 tsp shredded lime zest

juice of the lime

1 tab fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)

1/4 tsp salt, pepper

If too stiff after cooling, add a little milk

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/08/2010 15:37, James Silverton wrote:
> It looks good to me except there are many more pickles than I would use
> and I prefer cornichons unless I happen to have half-done Kosher
> pickles. I don't like regular Kosher Dills.

*grin* Yeah, it's possible mum used fewer pickles, but I love 'em, so I
put in lots.

-Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Good Potato Salad Recipe Please: THANK YOU ALL!

Thanks for all your great recipes. I learned a few things from the many
helpful tips which you people graciously supplied me with. Thanks again.

gene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> Here's mine:
>

> Steakhouse Potato Salad

> Serving Size: 4 - 6
>
> A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.
>

> 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> tablespoon hot water
> 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> 1 heaping cup sour cream
> 3 large-ish green onions, sliced OR 1 shallot diced
> 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender
>

> Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.
>

> Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> but not burned. Drain well and cool. OR place bacon strips on a
> baking sheet and cook in the oven. Drain, cool, and chop.
>

> While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
> a bowl.
>

> Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
> until smooth. Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or
> overnight before serving.
>

> Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
> mayo to sour cream.

Looks about like what I posted on July 21, 2008, with a few measurements
increased to provide maybe a creamier salad. You didn't change most of
the words I used, though.:

Steakhouse Potato Salad

July 2008 Ð A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
tablespoon hot water
1/4# pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6)
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2/3 cup sour cream
3 large-ish green onions, sliced
8-10 small new red potatoes, boiled until tender, peeled

Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
but not burned. Drain well and cool.

While bacon is frying, eighth the potatoes into chunks in a bowl.

Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together until
smooth. Stir in sliced green onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill for a couple hours before
serving.

Serves 4

Notes: *The chicken base is an important component; I wouldn't be too
surprised if what Cub sells has some cream of chicken soup in it. . .
Adjust measures as required, but that's about the right ratio of mayo to
sour cream Ð think baked potato.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James posted:

> Sounds good! I'd never thought of using the combination of lime and thyme
> until I saw the potato salad recipe (unfortunately a rather old one and I
> don't have its source.)
>
> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
>
> 4 cups cooked potato cubes
>
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>
> 1/4 cup sour cream
>
> 1/2 tsp shredded lime zest
>
> juice of the lime
>
> 1 tab fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
>
> 1/4 tsp salt, pepper
>
> If too stiff after cooling, add a little milk

Thanks, James! Since thyme can have lemony undertones (especially the
variety called "lemon thyme") I'm very interested in trying it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:45:43 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
>
> 4 cups cooked potato cubes
>
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>
> 1/4 cup sour cream
>
> 1/2 tsp shredded lime zest
>
> juice of the lime
>
> 1 tab fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
>
> 1/4 tsp salt, pepper
>
> If too stiff after cooling, add a little milk

I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. Is something
cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still hot? I don't think
about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> e-mail from gene wrote:
>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
>> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. Thank You,
>>
>> gene
>>

> Do you have any particular characteristics in mind? For example, with
> mayonnaise or with no mayonnaise?
>
> --
> Jean B.

Get a jar of Best Foods/Hellman's Mayonnaise - follow the directions on the
jar.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:48:45 -0700:

>> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
>>
>> 4 cups cooked potato cubes
>>
>> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>>
>> 1/4 cup sour cream
>>
>> 1/2 tsp shredded lime zest
>>
>> juice of the lime
>>
>> 1 tab fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
>>
>> 1/4 tsp salt, pepper
>>
>> If too stiff after cooling, add a little milk

> I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. Is
> something cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still
> hot? I don't think about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

The potatoes are usually cut up while warm and the salad may stiffen
while cooling in the fridge.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 14:06:55 -0400, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

> The potatoes are usually cut up while warm and the salad may stiffen
> while cooling in the fridge.

got ya, thanks!

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> sf wrote on Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:48:45 -0700:
>
>>> Lime-thyme Potato Salad
>>>
>>> 4 cups cooked potato cubes
>>>
>>> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
>>>
>>> 1/4 cup sour cream
>>>
>>> 1/2 tsp shredded lime zest
>>>
>>> juice of the lime
>>>
>>> 1 tab fresh thyme (1 tsp dried)
>>>
>>> 1/4 tsp salt, pepper
>>>
>>> If too stiff after cooling, add a little milk

>> I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. Is
>> something cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still
>> hot? I don't think about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

> The potatoes are usually cut up while warm and the salad may stiffen
> while cooling in the fridge.

Ah. When that happens to me, I put together a mix that is pretty
much the same as the first round of dressing ingredients and add that.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 27, 10:24*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *itsjoannotjoann > wrote:
> > Here's mine:

> > Steakhouse Potato Salad
> > Serving Size: 4 - 6

> > A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.

> > 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> > tablespoon hot water
> > 1/3 pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6 slices)
> > 1/2 heaping cup mayonnaise
> > 1 heaping cup sour cream
> > 3 large-ish green onions, sliced *OR 1 shallot diced
> > 8 - 10 small new red potatoes, scrubbed and boiled until tender

> > Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.

> > Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> > but not burned. *Drain well and cool. *OR place bacon strips on a
> > baking sheet and cook in the oven. *Drain, cool, and chop.

> > While bacon is cooking, quarter the potatoes into bite size chunks in
> > a bowl.

> > Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together
> > until smooth. *Stir in onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> > potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill several hours or
> > overnight before serving.

> > Adjust measurements as required, but that's about the right ratio of
> > mayo to sour cream.

> Looks about like what I posted on July 21, 2008, with a few measurements
> increased to provide maybe a creamier salad. *You didn't change most of
> the words I used, though.:
>
> Steakhouse Potato Salad
>
> July 2008 Ð A great salad without the bite of the vinegar in mayo.
>
> 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules or base, dissolved in 1
> tablespoon hot water
> 1/4# pound bacon slices, (maybe 4-6)
> 1/3 cup mayonnaise
> 2/3 cup sour cream
> 3 large-ish green onions, sliced
> 8-10 small new red potatoes, boiled until tender, peeled
>
> Dissolve the chicken base in water and set aside to cool.
>
> Cut the bacon slices into 1/2" wide pieces and fry slowly until crisp
> but not burned. Drain well and cool.
>
> While bacon is frying, eighth the potatoes into chunks in a bowl.
>
> Combine the chicken base, mayo, and sour cream, stirring together until
> smooth. Stir in sliced green onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill for a couple hours before
> serving.
>
> Serves 4
>
> Notes: *The chicken base is an important component; I wouldn't be too
> surprised if what Cub sells has some cream of chicken soup in it. . .
> Adjust measures as required, but that's about the right ratio of mayo to
> sour cream Ð think baked potato.
>

> Barb

I did get from the internet, not this group, but a man that posts on
some groups and perhaps he copied your version and then posted it. If
it's yours, it's DAMN good and everybody always wants the recipe and I
bring home an empty bowl! The empty bowl is the best compliment and
proof that it's good!! Yummmmmmmmmm and thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
itsjoannotjoann > wrote:

> [...]

> > smooth. Stir in sliced green onions and crisp bacon pieces; pour over
> > potatoes, mix, correct seasoning, and chill for a couple hours before
> > serving.
> >
> > Serves 4
> >
> > Notes: *The chicken base is an important component; I wouldn't be too
> > surprised if what Cub sells has some cream of chicken soup in it. . .
> > Adjust measures as required, but that's about the right ratio of mayo to
> > sour cream Ð think baked potato.
> >

> > Barb
> >

> I did get from the internet, not this group, but a man that posts on
> some groups and perhaps he copied your version and then posted it. If
> it's yours, it's DAMN good and everybody always wants the recipe and I
> bring home an empty bowl! The empty bowl is the best compliment and
> proof that it's good!! Yummmmmmmmmm and thanks.

Interesting. Thanks.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are he
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. Is something
> cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still hot? I don't think
> about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

I mix in dressing that has mayo while potatoes are still pretty hot. I
mix in mayo when macaroni salad is pretty hot. I use milk to cream up
macaroni salad later. Potato salad, not so much. I make two types of
potato salad that my wife likes as is, so that's enough.
I either learned the method for macaroni salad here or on a TV food
program. I've only made good macaroni salad for about ten years while
making two decent potato salads for forty. Hmmm. Maybe I will add milk
to one of those potato salads when cold. The other is creamy enough.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:03:50 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. Is something
> > cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still hot? I don't think
> > about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

> I mix in dressing that has mayo while potatoes are still pretty hot. I
> mix in mayo when macaroni salad is pretty hot. I use milk to cream up
> macaroni salad later. Potato salad, not so much. I make two types of
> potato salad that my wife likes as is, so that's enough.
> I either learned the method for macaroni salad here or on a TV food
> program. I've only made good macaroni salad for about ten years while
> making two decent potato salads for forty. Hmmm. Maybe I will add milk
> to one of those potato salads when cold. The other is creamy enough.

Maybe everybody's hot is my barely warm? I distinctly remember adding
mayonnaise to something hot and having it separate on me.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 28, 1:43*am, sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 21:03:50 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
>

> > wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *sf > wrote:

> > > I'm confused by the "too stiff after cooling" part. *Is something
> > > cooked or is it made while the potatoes are still hot? *I don't think
> > > about using mayonnaise on anything hot.

> > I mix in dressing that has mayo while potatoes are still pretty hot. I
> > mix in mayo when macaroni salad is pretty hot. I use milk to cream up
> > macaroni salad later. Potato salad, not so much. I make two types of
> > potato salad that my wife likes as is, so that's enough.
> > I either learned the method for macaroni salad here or on a TV food
> > program. I've only made good macaroni salad for about ten years while
> > making two decent potato salads for forty. Hmmm. Maybe I will add milk
> > to one of those potato salads when cold. The other is creamy enough.

> Maybe everybody's hot is my barely warm? *I distinctly remember adding
> mayonnaise to something hot and having it separate on me.
>
> --
>
> Never trust a dog to watch your food.- Hide quoted text -

I saw an episode last year on America's Test Kitchen and they were
doing a potato salad recipe. They did indeed say after the HOT
potatoes have been chunked into bitesize pieces to pour a mixture of
mayo, mustard, and pickle juice on the potatoes. These potatoes were
spread out on a baking sheet, the mixture was poured over the potatoes
and then they were quickly tossed. Right back into the 'frig they
went for at least 30 minutes. The premise being the hot potatoes will
absorb the flavor of this mixture and the resulting potato salad even
tastier. It works, I tried it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>> Lime-Thyme Potatoes
>> By grandma2969 on June 09, 2005
>> http://www.food.com/

>> Serves: 6

Sounds delicious, James!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010 18:49:27 -0700 (PDT), "Catmandy (Sheryl)"
> wrote:

>On Aug 26, 8:49*am, (e-mail from gene)
>wrote:
>> Please if anyone would care to pass on their tips to making a good
>> Potato Salad I would like to give them a try. *
>>
>> Thank You,
>>
>> gene

>Don't know your taste. Find a recipe that has ingredients you like.
>Tips to make the Potato salad best:
>Use anything but Idaho russet potatoes. Look for "new potatoes". Red
>skin are excellent. Yukon Gold are also excellent. You want a "waxy"
>potato which will not fall apart.
>
>Cook with the skins on. Peel after cooking. I actually microwave the
>potatoes. Boiling them for me causes too much flavor loss.

I always steam the potatoes. They cook a bit faster, and you don't
have to worry about them falling apart in the water.

I put the eggs in the steaming water under the steamer basket. They
get hard-boiled around the same time the potatoes are done.

Jo Anne