Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade Flavorings for Homemade Popcorn

We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
want to try.

So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
but not all of the popcorn.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some but
> not all of the popcorn.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Use the cheesy powder from a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Parmesan is nice on
popcorn, or chili powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 10:10*am, "news" > wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> > We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> > fantastic. *We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> > we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> > want to try.

> > So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> > mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> > that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some but
> > not all of the popcorn.

> > Thanks in advance.

> Use the cheesy powder from a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Parmesan is nice on
> popcorn, or chili powder.

We like the Mexican chili powder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.

http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
>> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on
>> some but not all of the popcorn.

> http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> > http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

> It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
> I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
> in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.

You could also make a caramel coating, maybe mix in some nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:10:05 -0400, "news" > wrote:

> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> > We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> > fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> > we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> > want to try.
> >
> > So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> > mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> > that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some but
> > not all of the popcorn.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

> Use the cheesy powder from a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Parmesan is nice on
> popcorn, or chili powder.

How do you get it to stick unless the popcorn is cooked in oil or
bathed in butter?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

>> It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like
>> this - I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then
>> putting it in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

> What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
> powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.

I didn't try it - I think the sodium phosphate is an important
ingredient. I could try it but I haven't as I was hoping to avoid a lot
of trial and error if someone here already had.

The stuff in the link above, after reading about sodium phosphate, seems
actually pretty good, and Barry Farm also seems like a vendor I'd like
to use.

> You could also make a caramel coating, maybe mix in some nuts.

Yes, that's the one thought that did occur to me - caramel is easy
enough to make.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:49:42 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
>> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
>> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt,
>> we want to try.
>>
>> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
>> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would
>> manage that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded
>> cheese on some but not all of the popcorn.

> Cheese doesn't work very well. Cheap, fresh grated parmesan is your
> best bet. The powdery stuff gets caught in the folds ad kernels and
> if applied when hot, cheap parmesan does have a little (not much)
> adhesive/melting power to it.
>
> Macaroni and cheese seasoning mix works well (save the macaroni for
> salad). I've also use seaosoning packets from GOOD ramen (not
> Nissen/Maruchen brand). The Thai tom yum seasoning was especially
> good on popcorn.
>
> The best bet for any other types of seasonings are to grind them up
> really fine so they have a better chance of sticking. With a hot hair
> popper, not much is going to stick unless you're using butter too.

I don't mind using butter, too.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:38:40 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> George M. Middius wrote:
> > Steve Freides wrote:
> >
> >> cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> >> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on
> >> some but not all of the popcorn.

> > http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

> It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
> I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
> in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

Use a drier cheese (aged cheddar might work), shred and then whiz it
in the coffee mill. The granules will be bigger than what you'd buy
at the deli, but you won't need to make a trip. I wouldn't bother and
just go with some grated parmesan from the deli section of the grocery
store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 9:49 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

Here's what we use... no cheese, but it's pretty good. I was given this
as a salt replacement...

1/4 cup ground cumin
1 Tbsp cayenne or to taste
3 Tbsp dried oregano (I grind mine)

Mix well and store in a jar

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 9:49 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.

I recall a cheese popcorn recipe in one of my church cookbooks that
basically involved popping the corn, then putting into a roasting pan
where it was first tossed with butter, then with finely shredded
cheddar cheese. The pan was then place in a warm oven (300-325 F,
IIRC) and tossed every few minutes until the cheese had melted
onto/into the popcorn.

I never tried the recipe, but it sure sounded more delicious than
using dried powdered cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 10:44*am, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > >http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

> > It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
> > I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
> > in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

> What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
> powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.
>
> You could also make a caramel coating, maybe mix in some nuts.

then roll it up into balls....and call them.........popcorn balls.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> > > It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
> > > I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
> > > in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

> > What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
> > powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.

> No, I think the powder would have much of the
> fat and water removed, otherwise it wouldn't
> be a powder.

So you're saying that because it's a powder, it must conform to the
definition of powder? I'm pretty sure even Sheldon knows that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings

Either dried red pepper powder or toss in some liquid hot sauce. Pick
the brand and the amount to account for your capsicum tolerance level.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.

You need dry ingredients to add to popcorn. Taco flavor is good....just
sprinkle some dry taco seasoning on your popcorn.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> Steve Freides wrote:
>
> > > http://www.amazon.com/Cheddar-Cheese.../dp/B00016LZT8

> > It doesn't seem like one could "roll your own" for something like this -
> > I was hoping for something like freezing cheddar cheese then putting it
> > in the blender or food processor <sigh>.

> What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
> powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.

No, I think the powder would have much of the
fat and water removed, otherwise it wouldn't
be a powder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 10:49 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

If you want an even better tasting popcorn use a microwave popper (not
microwave popcorn).

Coconut oil is really good on popcorn (its what movie theater popcorn
used to have on it)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.

I used to dry pop popcorn all the time. To get a uniform
light coating of butter, I'd stick a thin pat of butter
on the side of a large plastic container, dump the warm
popcorn in, put the lid on, and give it a good shaking.
The residual heat in the popcorn would melt the butter
and it would become spread all over the inside surface
of the container. The popcorn would be evenly lightly
coated with the smallest possible amount of butter,
which is enough to make stuff stick. After coating with
the butter, I'd add the flavoring and keep shaking. My
favorite flavorings were Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt and
less often curry powder.

It's also possible to use this coating method inside a
plastic bag. After loading and closing the bag, bunch up
two opposite ends, holding one end with each hand, and
give it a good back-and-forth shaking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:21:42 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 14:07:09 -0400, Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> The best bet for any other types of seasonings are to grind them up
>>> really fine so they have a better chance of sticking. With a hot hair
>>> popper, not much is going to stick unless you're using butter too.

>> I don't mind using butter, too.

>Just checking. Most people are using hot air popcorn poppers to avoid
>the fats. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage to them.

No burnt popcorn, no over heated crapo oils, no burnt pot, no unpopped
corn, no labor... and it's very easy to drizzle air popped with real
freshly melted butter that hasn't been over heated and sprinkle with
salt. I don't like anything on my air popped other than butter and
salt. People who don't like air popped and like frozen spuds got
TIAD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 12:55:02 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
>> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
>> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
>> want to try.

>I used to dry pop popcorn all the time. To get a uniform
>light coating of butter, I'd stick a thin pat of butter
>on the side of a large plastic container, dump the warm
>popcorn in, put the lid on, and give it a good shaking.
>The residual heat in the popcorn would melt the butter
>and it would become spread all over the inside surface
>of the container. The popcorn would be evenly lightly
>coated with the smallest possible amount of butter,
>which is enough to make stuff stick.

Covering warm popcorn will make it soggy. It's much easier to melt
butter in a Pyrex measuring cup in the nuker while the corn pops,
drizzle it over while stirring with a rubber spatula and use the
spatula to get the last dregs from the cup. I buy only unsalted
butter so I sprinkle with a wee bit of salt. I don't like anything
else on popcorn. My ancient Wearever Popcorn Pumper has been working
perfectly for nearly fifty years. Once you've eaten air popped
drizzled with real virgin butter you'll never go back to corn popped
in over heated crapo oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 4:49 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
> want to try.
>
> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some
> but not all of the popcorn.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -S-

That air popped stuff is like teflon - nothing sticks to it.

My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake, and a handful of rice
crackers. You'll probably have to add some melted butter to the mix
first to get it sticky enough. This is some killer material!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

parmesan
cayenne pepper
lemon pepper
garlic butter
curry powder
Italian seasoning
Cajun seasoning

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:48:13 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:
>
>That air popped stuff is like teflon - nothing sticks to it.

Nonsense, butter sticks to air popped, and then so does most anything
else.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
> sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake

I looked that up. It's a flavoring made from, uh, "dried and ground
fish". On popcorn? No thanks. Yuck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

duh-Shelley blathered:

> >That air popped stuff is like teflon - nothing sticks to it.

> Nonsense, butter sticks to air popped, and then so does most anything
> else.

Is it remotely possible you sometimes yap before you think? Just
asking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 12:28 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:48:13 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>>
>> That air popped stuff is like teflon - nothing sticks to it.

> Nonsense, butter sticks to air popped, and then so does most anything
> else.

You're right about the butter part but you're just being facetious.
You've never used an air-popper, have you? I have but won't use one
again. They're great - if you enjoy eating packing material.

By most anything sticking to air popped popcorn, I assume you mean stuff
like WD-40, bacon drippings, and mud. Wallow in my mighty facetiousness!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 1:00 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
>> sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake

> I looked that up. It's a flavoring made from, uh, "dried and ground
> fish". On popcorn? No thanks. Yuck.

You should have never checked the ingredients. Whatever it's made from,
folks go nuts for it.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2008/07...rn-in-a-jiffy/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote:

-snip-

>I don't mind using butter, too.

in that case--- 1/3 cup of oil- 2/3 cup of corn- a heavy pot- and a
stovetop. That'll give your popcorn some flavor. . . and help
anything you want to add to it to stick to the popcorn

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 13:13:20 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2012 1:00 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
>>> sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake

>> I looked that up. It's a flavoring made from, uh, "dried and ground
>> fish". On popcorn? No thanks. Yuck.
>>

>You should have never checked the ingredients. Whatever it's made from,
>folks go nuts for it.
>
>http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2008/07...rn-in-a-jiffy/

'Mochi Crunch and Nori' -- hmmm--- [sweet?] rice cakes and seaweed?
I like the Nori-- but 'rice cakes' on my popcorn? if it is the sweet
ones, OK---

you mentioned furikake when I asked about the Asian market-- and I am
working through a couple bottles of the stuff. There are 20
varieties in the store and I don't know what they have in them until I
get home with my magnifying glass. Lots of salty, green and pink
stuff, though.<g> Haven't found one I didn't like-- but non I'd
die for, yet, either.

I picked up some Wasabi flavored Nori bit that would be good powdered
and sprinkled on popcorn. . .

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> in that case--- 1/3 cup of oil- 2/3 cup of corn- a heavy pot- and a
> stovetop. That'll give your popcorn some flavor. . . and help
> anything you want to add to it to stick to the popcorn

I pop half a cup of corn in the microwave with only 2 Tb of oil
(that's 1/8 cup).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 1:32 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> 'Mochi Crunch and Nori' -- hmmm--- [sweet?] rice cakes and seaweed?
> I like the Nori-- but 'rice cakes' on my popcorn? if it is the sweet
> ones, OK---
>
> you mentioned furikake when I asked about the Asian market-- and I am
> working through a couple bottles of the stuff. There are 20
> varieties in the store and I don't know what they have in them until I
> get home with my magnifying glass. Lots of salty, green and pink
> stuff, though.<g> Haven't found one I didn't like-- but non I'd
> die for, yet, either.

We used to eat furikake on rice when we were kids. We also had some
black seaweed goo that was spread on rice but most Westerners would find
it repulsive. Heck, I think it's kinda gross.

I like just plain old furikake with mostly nori, sesame seeds and
seasoning. A small amount of bonito flakes is OK but not too much. The
ones with the pink and yellow and white balls scare me away.

OTOH, there's nothing scary about furikake Chex mix. It has a sweet and
salty and savory stuff that's hard to put down. I'm reluctant to make it
very often cause I'll stuff myself on it. It's been a few years so maybe
I'll make some soon.

http://everydayoats.wordpress.com/tag/furikake/

> I picked up some Wasabi flavored Nori bit that would be good powdered
> and sprinkled on popcorn. . .

Wasabi popcorn would be awesome. My guts are aching just thinking about
it. Eating that stuff would probably kill me but what a way to go.

> Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> > > No, I think the powder would have much of the
> > > fat and water removed, otherwise it wouldn't
> > > be a powder.

> > So you're saying that because it's a powder, it must conform to the
> > definition of powder? I'm pretty sure even Sheldon knows that.

> No, I'm saying the method of freezing cheese and
> running it through a blender or food processor is
> not going to make a powder because it'll have too
> much water and fat. At best, you could reduce a
> very dry cheese to something like in the green cans,
> but not a powder like in the mac-and-cheese boxes.
> Cheddar is not a very dry cheese at all.

oh .. I get it now. We were talking about two different things. I
meant the (desiccated) powder from Barry Farms is probably exactly
what factories use.

Now that I've had time to reflect, I remember another approach I heard
about. You start with a package of shredded cheese that hasn't
softened and fused together at all. Spread the shreds out on a sheet
and dust very lightly with cornstarch. Then sprinkle it over hot
popcorn while stirring. I don't know first-hand how well this method
works, so I'm not endorsing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" wrote:

> > > What happened when you tried it? I haven't tried it, but I'll bet the
> > > powder is pretty much the same as what factories use.

> > No, I think the powder would have much of the
> > fat and water removed, otherwise it wouldn't
> > be a powder.

> So you're saying that because it's a powder, it must conform to the
> definition of powder? I'm pretty sure even Sheldon knows that.

No, I'm saying the method of freezing cheese and
running it through a blender or food processor is
not going to make a powder because it'll have too
much water and fat. At best, you could reduce a
very dry cheese to something like in the green cans,
but not a powder like in the mac-and-cheese boxes.
Cheddar is not a very dry cheese at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 21:41:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:23:28 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>> -snip-
>>>
>>>I don't mind using butter, too.

>> in that case--- 1/3 cup of oil- 2/3 cup of corn- a heavy pot- and a
>> stovetop. That'll give your popcorn some flavor. . . and help
>> anything you want to add to it to stick to the popcorn
>>
>> Jim

>That sounds like a hell of a lot of oil.

And I've been feeling proud that I upped the corn from 1/2 to 2/3.<g>

I used to use 1/2 cup corn and a 6 qt dutch oven on the stove. Now
we have a big old heavy electric frying pan with a 'basting' top. It
holds more popped corn, so I upped the corn and left the oil the same.
We rarely butter it-- but put 'whatever' toppings on.

My wife refuses to measure-- but her's has a lot more oil than mine.
2/3 cup to 3/4 cup popcorn wouldn't surprise me. [she's not happy
unless the top pops off the pan]

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:59:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> My wife refuses to measure-- but her's has a lot more oil than mine.
> 2/3 cup to 3/4 cup popcorn wouldn't surprise me. [she's not happy
> unless the top pops off the pan]

I don't measure either. I stop pouring popcorn in when it covers the
pan one kernel deep. Oil is trickier, but basically I cover about
half the bottom with oil because it spreads out when it gets warm.
I've found that corn pops better if there's more oil than what I
normally put in so I consciously add a little more if I remember to do
it. Old habits die hard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 08/09/2012 02:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
> sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake, and a handful of rice
> crackers. You'll probably have to add some melted butter to the mix
> first to get it sticky enough. This is some killer material!

I like furikake on popcorn also. Furikake wasn't to be found around
here, so I made my own: crumble 1 nori sheet and put into a small
blender jar. Buzz until finely powdered. Add 1/4 C wasabi peas, 1 Tbsp.
oriental rice crackers, 2 tsp. red chile pepper flakes, 1 tsp. salt and
1/2 tsp. sugar (optional). Buzz again until powdered. Add a couple
Tbsps. or more to freshly oil-popped popcorn, while it's still steaming.
It sticks better that way. Tightly cap the remainder. No need to
refrigerate.

There is no one true recipe for furikake, but adding a tsp. of bonita in
the form of hon-dashi works really well. You could also buzz in some
fake soy bacon bits and/or lightly toasted sesame seed.

On a different note, a movie theater in town used to set out a shaker
can of nutritional yeast for their popcorn, instead of salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2012 7:47 AM, Whirled Peas wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 02:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> My suggestion is that you do what we do. Pop it in a pan with oil,
>> sprinkle on a good amount of Japanese furikake, and a handful of rice
>> crackers. You'll probably have to add some melted butter to the mix
>> first to get it sticky enough. This is some killer material!

> I like furikake on popcorn also. Furikake wasn't to be found around
> here, so I made my own: crumble 1 nori sheet and put into a small
> blender jar. Buzz until finely powdered. Add 1/4 C wasabi peas, 1 Tbsp.
> oriental rice crackers, 2 tsp. red chile pepper flakes, 1 tsp. salt and
> 1/2 tsp. sugar (optional). Buzz again until powdered. Add a couple
> Tbsps. or more to freshly oil-popped popcorn, while it's still steaming.
> It sticks better that way. Tightly cap the remainder. No need to
> refrigerate.
>
> There is no one true recipe for furikake, but adding a tsp. of bonita in
> the form of hon-dashi works really well. You could also buzz in some
> fake soy bacon bits and/or lightly toasted sesame seed.
>
> On a different note, a movie theater in town used to set out a shaker
> can of nutritional yeast for their popcorn, instead of salt.

Thanks for the ideas - they're great! I've never seen nutritional yeast.
My guess is that it looks a lot like active-dry yeast. Sounds like it
might be difficult to keep it from caking up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 2:01 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:10:05 -0400, "news" > wrote:
>

>> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>>> We used an air popcorn popper last night here for the first time -
>>> fantastic. We liked it, the house full of teenage boys liked it, and
>>> we're now trying to decide what, after last nights butter and salt, we
>>> want to try.
>>>
>>> So, suggestions appreciated for DIY popcorn flavorings, e.g., my son
>>> mentioned cheddar cheese but I'm not sure exactly how one would manage
>>> that in a way that didn't just leave clumps of shredded cheese on some but
>>> not all of the popcorn.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.

>> Use the cheesy powder from a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Parmesan is nice on
>> popcorn, or chili powder.
>>

> How do you get it to stick unless the popcorn is cooked in oil or
> bathed in butter?

The OP (Steve F) said it was coated in butter and salt. (Don't ask me
why he used and air-popper then did that.) I believe he just wants
different seasonings to adhere to the buttered popcorn.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2012 2:01 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Use the cheesy powder from a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. Parmesan is
>>> nice on popcorn, or chili powder.
>>>

>> How do you get it to stick unless the popcorn is cooked in oil or
>> bathed in butter?
>>

> The OP (Steve F) said it was coated in butter and salt. (Don't ask me
> why he used and air-popper then did that.)

Because we bought a second air popper to try for coffee roasting, liked
it better, so we've now got an air popper we're not using. It's a fine
quick way to make popcorn. It seems you think the sole purpose of air
popping is to avoid using fat - I wasn't aware of that.

> I believe he just wants
> different seasonings to adhere to the buttered popcorn.
>
> Jill

Buttered or not, we just want to try seasonings we can make at home.

-S-