Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Teriyaki Lettuce Wraps

I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. I will add some vegetables
to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 17, 3:09*pm, Tara > wrote:
> I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. * I will add some vegetables
> to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.
>
> Tara

Tara, check this out. I think it's an awesome idea and I'm going to
make some. These will be perfect to take to work for lunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 17, 3:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 17, 3:09*pm, Tara > wrote:
>
> > I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> > and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. * I will add some vegetables
> > to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> > pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.

> > Tara

> Tara, check this out. * I think it's an awesome idea and I'm going to
> make some. *These will be perfect to take to work for lunch.

um....forgot the link....duh

http://honestfare.com/mastering-the-collard-wrap/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 17, 3:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jul 17, 3:14*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > On Jul 17, 3:09*pm, Tara > wrote:

> > > I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> > > and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. * I will add some vegetables
> > > to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> > > pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.

> > > Tara

> > Tara, check this out. * I think it's an awesome idea and I'm going to
> > make some. *These will be perfect to take to work for lunch.

> um....forgot the link....duh
>
> http://honestfare.com/mastering-the-collard-wrap/

I think they would be great using swiss chard as well. You need a
nice sturdy leaf and lettuce is usually flimsy and too tender.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:14:58 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>> Tara, check this out. * I think it's an awesome idea and I'm going to
>> make some. *These will be perfect to take to work for lunch.

>um....forgot the link....duh
>
>http://honestfare.com/mastering-the-collard-wrap/

Please report back after you make some! I'm not sure about raw
collards, but I am eager to hear how they are.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:09:18 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

> I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. I will add some vegetables
> to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.

Sorry I didn't hear the dinner bell!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/17/2012 6:09 PM, Tara wrote:

> I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. I will add some vegetables
> to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.

After reading about grilled romaine lettuce I wonder if those would make
good wraps? I'd bet they would! I think I'd have to use some quick
grilled lean beef sliced thin, not ground, and the onions, bamboo
shoots, water chestnuts, maybe some very thin sliced grilled squash -
yellow because that's all I like - and maybe something cold like some
thin sliced cucumbers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:29:16 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/17/2012 6:09 PM, Tara wrote:
>
>> I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
>> and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. I will add some vegetables
>> to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
>> pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.
>>

>After reading about grilled romaine lettuce I wonder if those would make
>good wraps?

Raw, they make great wraps-- Cooked they are too limp- and juicy.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:
-snip-
>Arrghhh! This ng has gone to hell with all the low carb and weird wrap
>things.

When I use a lettuce wrap, it never occurs to me that it is low-carb.
I do it because it tastes good!

>Just me, but...if I'm going to make some killer filling, the very last thing
>I would even consider is to wrap it in some lame lettuce leaf.

Not a *lame* lettuce leaf-- We're talking about Romaine. Good
Romaine.

A bun dries out your mouth and is bland-- lettuce is juicy and adds a
crunch and sourness that you don't get with a bun. And you can
eat 2-3 without getting filled up on bread.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote:

-snip-

>I'm going to have a couple of hotdogs for dinner. No buns here, so I guess
>I'll wrap them in lettuce leaves. meheheh PLOP!

I like lots of things on lettuce-- but tonight's hotdogs were on New
England buns so they could hold lots of baked bean juice.<g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Gary > wrote:
> -snip-
> >Arrghhh! This ng has gone to hell with all the low carb and weird wrap
> >things.
> >

> When I use a lettuce wrap, it never occurs to me that it is low-carb.
> I do it because it tastes good!
>
> >Just me, but...if I'm going to make some killer filling, the very last thing
> >I would even consider is to wrap it in some lame lettuce leaf.

> Not a *lame* lettuce leaf-- We're talking about Romaine. Good
> Romaine.
>
> A bun dries out your mouth and is bland-- lettuce is juicy and adds a
> crunch and sourness that you don't get with a bun. And you can
> eat 2-3 without getting filled up on bread.
>
> Jim

Keep in mind, Jim... I knew full well that I was inviting the wrath of RFC
by saying what I did. heheh.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> Gary > wrote:
>
> -snip-
> >
> >I'm going to have a couple of hotdogs for dinner. No buns here, so I guess
> >I'll wrap them in lettuce leaves. meheheh PLOP!

> I like lots of things on lettuce-- but tonight's hotdogs were on New
> England buns so they could hold lots of baked bean juice.<g>
>
> Jim

Sounds very good to me.
I have some lettuce here.
Maybe I'll make a salad like NORMAL people might do with it. hehehe

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tara wrote:

> I browned a pound of ground turkey, seasoned it with teriyaki sauce,
> and we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves. I will add some vegetables
> to the wrap next time -- maybe green onions, shredded carrots, bell
> pepper, bamboo shoots, and/or water chestnuts.
>
> Tara

Now see? I would take your killer filling and make some deep fried chinese
spring rolls or egg rolls.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 18, 4:13*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Gary > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>
> >Arrghhh! *This ng has gone to hell with all the low carb and weird wrap
> >things.

> When I use a lettuce wrap, it never occurs to me that it is low-carb.
> I do it because it tastes good!
>
> >Just me, but...if I'm going to make some killer filling, the very last thing
> >I would even consider is to wrap it in some lame lettuce leaf.

> Not a *lame* lettuce leaf-- We're talking about Romaine. * Good
> Romaine.
>
> A bun dries out your mouth and is bland-- lettuce is juicy and adds a
> crunch and sourness that you don't get with a bun. * * *And you can
> eat 2-3 without getting filled up on bread.
>
> Jim

I'm doing a collard wrap tonight to take for lunch tomorrow. I've
got some leftover Killer fried rice I made
yesterday with pork, bacon, veggies, and I think I'll mix the rice
with a little mayo to hold it together and
put it in the wrap with peppers, spinach, sunflower seeds and
tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:
-snip-

>I'm doing a collard wrap tonight to take for lunch tomorrow.

I have only seen decent collards around thanksgiving in upstate NY.
Usually quite mature leaves that I don't think would be good raw---
but I'll keep my eyes open- I like them cooked.

>I've
>got some leftover Killer fried rice I made
>yesterday with pork, bacon, veggies, and I think I'll mix the rice
>with a little mayo to hold it together and
>put it in the wrap with peppers, spinach, sunflower seeds and
>tomatoes.

Never thought to do that with rice-- Fried rice on a bun sounds awful
-- Wrapping in a leaf makes sense. It's on the list.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 19, 12:47*pm, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>

> >I'm doing a collard wrap tonight to take for lunch tomorrow.

> I have only seen decent collards around thanksgiving in upstate NY.
> Usually quite mature leaves that I don't think would be good raw---
> but I'll keep my eyes open- I like them cooked.
>
> >I've
> >got some leftover Killer fried rice I made
> >yesterday with pork, bacon, veggies, and I think I'll mix the rice
> >with a little mayo to hold it together and
> >put it in the wrap with peppers, spinach, sunflower seeds and
> >tomatoes.

> Never thought to do that with rice-- *Fried rice on a bun sounds awful
> -- Wrapping in a leaf makes sense. * It's on the list.
>
> Jim

Just had that wrap for lunch today. Man, it was goooooood. I'm
now a big fan of collard greens for a wrap. They are sturdy and hold
together, they were easy to work with and they are just crunchy enough
but not tough and they tasted great !!

Yay, I'm always happy to find a new gluten free and low carb lunch
option. I usually take some leftovers or a green smoothie and a bit
of leftover protein with me for lunch but it's nice to have this
option to throw into the mix.

I'm concocting all kinds of wraps in my head now.

I have perfected the lettuce wraps! Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 1 24-04-2012 03:23 PM
Lettuce Wraps! Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 9 12-05-2009 06:22 PM
Asian lettuce wraps huck Asian Cooking 1 27-07-2006 01:05 PM
PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps lesliemm Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2005 08:49 AM
lettuce wraps? authentic?? kalanamak Asian Cooking 76 09-09-2004 04:18 PM