Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default I have perfected the lettuce wraps!

Jimmy John's heads of lettuce are about 3 times larger than the ones I
found. I even looked at Cash and Carry and Costco. I bought 3 heads of
Iceberg at Costco and I think they might be slightly larger. I was told
that JJ's cuts theirs into 6 wedges. I can see how they could. But for me?
I cored the head and cut it in half.

I then laid down a sandwich paper which is a 12" square. After shaking the
excess water, I laid down 4 pieces of lettuce in the middle but towards the
top of the piece of paper, leaving enough at the bottom to fold up. I
didn't place them exactly on top of each other because the edges were a bit
uneven. But no problem. I then laid on some thinly sliced turkey which I
had sort of rolled up. and on top of that some thinly sliced Colby Jack
cheese that had been broken in two to fit the wrap. And now Angela tells me
that she prefers the tuna. No problem. I have lots of tuna. Just have to
make it into salad. Will also make some chicken salad. I did not add any
condiments but you could certainly do that.

I then added 3 more pieces of lettuce on the top. I don't think the amount
of leaves you use matters very much except that obviously too many would be
hard to eat and too few would allow the filling to leak out. The trick is
to keep it all tight.

I then tucked the top leaves down under the bottom ones and used the paper
to shore it all up. Folding the bottom up first, then the sides and
securing it tightly with a piece of tape. I left the top open for eating.
At JJs they fold the top down too but I think they have bigger paper than I
do!

Doing it like this is fine if you're going to eat it right away. But for
taking it somewhere you would have to cover it further, maybe with a piece
of foil, plastic wrap or in a plastic bag.

This will save me a lot of money. JJs charges about $5.50 for a tuna
Unwich. I will be able to make at least 2 or 3 of them for that price and
there will be extra lettuce leftover. Currently I have the more expensive
Albacore tuna. But in the future I will be buying the cheaper stuff. I
would also probably add some leaves of Romaine inside for added nutrition
and of course some veggies in the tuna salad.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> Jimmy John's heads of lettuce are about 3 times larger than the ones I
> found. I even looked at Cash and Carry and Costco. I bought 3 heads
> of Iceberg at Costco and I think they might be slightly larger. I
> was told that JJ's cuts theirs into 6 wedges. I can see how they
> could. But for me? I cored the head and cut it in half.
>
> I then laid down a sandwich paper which is a 12" square. After
> shaking the excess water, I laid down 4 pieces of lettuce in the
> middle but towards the top of the piece of paper, leaving enough at
> the bottom to fold up. I didn't place them exactly on top of each
> other because the edges were a bit uneven. But no problem. I then
> laid on some thinly sliced turkey which I had sort of rolled up. and
> on top of that some thinly sliced Colby Jack cheese that had been
> broken in two to fit the wrap. And now Angela tells me that she
> prefers the tuna. No problem. I have lots of tuna. Just have to
> make it into salad. Will also make some chicken salad. I did not
> add any condiments but you could certainly do that.
> I then added 3 more pieces of lettuce on the top. I don't think the
> amount of leaves you use matters very much except that obviously too
> many would be hard to eat and too few would allow the filling to leak
> out. The trick is to keep it all tight.
>
> I then tucked the top leaves down under the bottom ones and used the
> paper to shore it all up. Folding the bottom up first, then the
> sides and securing it tightly with a piece of tape. I left the top
> open for eating. At JJs they fold the top down too but I think they
> have bigger paper than I do!
>
> Doing it like this is fine if you're going to eat it right away. But
> for taking it somewhere you would have to cover it further, maybe
> with a piece of foil, plastic wrap or in a plastic bag.
>
> This will save me a lot of money. JJs charges about $5.50 for a tuna
> Unwich. I will be able to make at least 2 or 3 of them for that
> price and there will be extra lettuce leftover. Currently I have the
> more expensive Albacore tuna. But in the future I will be buying the
> cheaper stuff. I would also probably add some leaves of Romaine
> inside for added nutrition and of course some veggies in the tuna
> salad.

Have enjoyed following your puzzling out how to do this at home,
very clear instructions above, good job.

pavane

Lettuce Wraps! Omelet[_7_] General Cooking 9 12-05-2009 06:22 PM
P F Chang's Lettuce Wraps Julie Bove Diabetic 16 17-02-2009 09:56 AM
Asian lettuce wraps huck Asian Cooking 1 27-07-2006 01:05 PM
PF Chang's Lettuce Wraps lesliemm Recipes (moderated) 0 15-12-2005 08:49 AM
lettuce wraps? authentic?? kalanamak Asian Cooking 76 09-09-2004 04:18 PM