kalanamak

JJ wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?

Way back when I rented a room from a man who spoke almost no English. I
don't what part of mainland China he came from, but I do know he was an
MD there, and was now working at the Columbia med school threading iv's
in to the tiny veins of rabbits ears and dissecting the minute cochlea
of mice. He was a deft cook, and he did lots of things with lettuce,
including stir fry and wraps.
blacksalt
of note, his big dream was to bring his 2 children over and have them go
to City College in New York...close and cheap.
JJ

Default lettuce wraps? authentic??

Hi all....

Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?

I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese restaurants,
but never in a neighborhood restaurant...

Thanks for any info.....

S.

FreddieN

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever go to
again if I had any choice.
On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.

James Silverton

"FreddieN" > wrote in message
> Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
> Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
> I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
> Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
> And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
> BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
> want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever

go to
> again if I had any choice.
> On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.

I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
Vietnamese influenced.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Jayde

"JJ" > wrote in message
| Hi all....
| Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
| restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic
chinese
| cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
| I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese
restaurants,
| but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
| Thanks for any info.....
| S.

I'm definitely not an expert in Chinese cuisine, but I believe this is
Cantonese in origin. I see this being served at so-called upscale Chinese
restaurants that offer "Dim Sum" on carts during lunch time (at popular
business meeting type places).

On the other hand, Dim Sum itself is relatively new in terms of Chinese
culinary history, so without a doubt, there will be cultural influence to
attract Western palates.

~Jayde

Jayde

"JJ" > wrote in message
| Hi all....
| Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
| restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic
chinese
| cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
| I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese
restaurants,
| but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
| Thanks for any info.....
| S.

I'm definitely not an expert in Chinese cuisine, but I believe this is
Cantonese in origin. I see this being served at so-called upscale Chinese
restaurants that offer "Dim Sum" on carts during lunch time (at popular
business meeting type places).

On the other hand, Dim Sum itself is relatively new in terms of Chinese
culinary history, so without a doubt, there will be cultural influence to
attract Western palates.

~Jayde

Ian

JJ wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Yan-Kit's 'Classic Chinese Cook Book' has a recipe for Lettuce Wrapped
Chicken, and says its a 'Southern dish'. It looks quite like the PF
Chang dish, though I have yet to try making it.

[Thanks to whoever it was here who recommended the book - its really good.]

Ian

Ian

JJ wrote:

> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Yan-Kit's 'Classic Chinese Cook Book' has a recipe for Lettuce Wrapped
Chicken, and says its a 'Southern dish'. It looks quite like the PF
Chang dish, though I have yet to try making it.

[Thanks to whoever it was here who recommended the book - its really good.]

Ian

DC.

It's popular enough in Cantonese restaurants as Cantonese cuisine is the
most popular/common Chinese cuisine outside mainland China. From my
experience, you'll find this dish in slightly more expensive restaurants &
often as a starter & as described, as a wrap for various food like cooked
seafood, or maybe as a vegetarian option with a veg. filling. My guess is
that it is a relatively new dish (last 30yrs or so) as Chinese people in
general don't eat raw veg. at most times. They prefer to have it blanched or
just lightly cooked through. There are a few exceptions like in mainland
China where you'll find 'summer dishes' with cooked meat mixed in with raw
sliced vegs & a sauce poured over & mixed in. Or sometimes you'll come
across raw veg. as decorative but edible garnishes when you go to a banquet.

Chinese cuisine in general like all other cuisines have evolved over time &
you'll find traditional dishes, regional dishes as well as newer dishes
sitting side by side in restaurant menus as well as at home, so it's
difficult at times to say what is 'authentic'. I guess the definitive answer
to your question might be to find out if lettuce/iceberg lettuce is native
to China or SE Asia. From what know, it's not traditionally grown in China
or SE Asia but maybe someone with a keen interest in veg. & gardening can
answer that question.

If i were to place a bet, i'd say it might have started in HK or at least
with the Cantonese anyway since Cantonese cuisine has pretty much evolved &
recreated itself many times over after the war, often using new ingredients
brought in to suit western tastes. And with all the business, trading &
migration in HK over the years, it's not impossible that someone simply saw
how easy it is to put food into a lettuce leaf as it's naturally in a wrap
shape. Perhaps a look into other SE Asian cuisines might give you a further
insight as they have a tradition of using wraps in their traditional foods.
This might have influenced chefs in neighbouring HK or perhaps as you
stated, it might be something Chinese/Cantonese chefs in the West have
caught on to with the abundance of lettuce grown & eaten there. If you ever
find the answer... please tell us! LOL.

DC.

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

DC.

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

FujiGirl

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

it's also in my Chinese and Vietnamese cook books. once a Thai friend took
us to a very very fancy restaurant an hour or so by car from Krungthep,
where we had these lettuce 'cups' filled with thai mince [most likely pork]
as starters. it was nice. indeed i haven't seen it sold at
average/roadside restaurants/food stalls in south east Asia.

FujiGirl

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

it's also in my Chinese and Vietnamese cook books. once a Thai friend took
us to a very very fancy restaurant an hour or so by car from Krungthep,
where we had these lettuce 'cups' filled with thai mince [most likely pork]
as starters. it was nice. indeed i haven't seen it sold at
average/roadside restaurants/food stalls in south east Asia.

Lori Lee

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:36:39 GMT, "JJ" > wrote:

>Hi all....
>
>Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
>restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
>cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
>I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese restaurants,
>but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
>Thanks for any info.....
>
>S.

I am familiar with "soong" dishes, even in smaller local restaurants.
Minced meat or poulty with pine nuts, served with a pile of lettuce
leaves for each diner to make a wrap.

Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying
John Droge

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

I don't know the Chinese tradition, but it is very traditional in Korea
going back all the way to Three Kingdom times. In Korea it's called Ssam.
John

Musashi

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

In Japan if you talk about lettuce wrap you are talking about Korean food.

Musashi

Musashi

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

In Japan if you talk about lettuce wrap you are talking about Korean food.

Musashi

Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

> "FreddieN" > wrote in message
>
>>Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
>>Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
>>I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
>>Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
>>And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
>>BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
>>want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever
>>

> go to
>
>>again if I had any choice.
>>On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.
>>

> I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
> prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
> Vietnamese influenced.

I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
peanuts, and a few other things.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

> "FreddieN" > wrote in message
>
>>Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
>>Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
>>I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
>>Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
>>And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
>>BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
>>want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever
>>

> go to
>
>>again if I had any choice.
>>On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.
>>

> I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
> prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
> Vietnamese influenced.

I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
peanuts, and a few other things.

--
Dan

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > "FreddieN" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
> >>Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
> >>I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
> >>Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
> >>And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
> >>BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
> >>want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever
> >>

> > go to
> >
> >>again if I had any choice.
> >>On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.
> >>

> > I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
> > prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
> > Vietnamese influenced.

> I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
> peanuts, and a few other things.
>
> --
> Dan

If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

Musashi

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>
> > "FreddieN" > wrote in message
> >
> >>Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
> >>Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
> >>I've seen them at PF Changs as well.
> >>Didn't look too appealing with the chunk of iceburg lettuce.
> >>And I've never seen them in any other chinese restaurant.
> >>BTW never ever order the Duck at PF Changs unless you specifically
> >>want a dried out steamed bird. One of the places I doubt I'll ever
> >>

> > go to
> >
> >>again if I had any choice.
> >>On the good side though, none of the food has that "old wok" smell.
> >>

> > I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
> > prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
> > Vietnamese influenced.

> I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
> peanuts, and a few other things.
>
> --
> Dan

If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

Musashi

Ken Berry

In Australia it is very common in Asian restaurants -- I first had it nearly
30 years ago in a Burmese restaurant which claimed it was a Burmese dish
(which I rather doubt, but who knows...?) It is called San(g) Choy Bow
(pronounced as it 'bow wow' rather than 'pussy's bow') i.e. in the Chinese
bun category. Basically, diners are given a bowl with lots of crisp, large
lettuce leaves and another bowl of IMHO a rather delicious warm minced pork
creation. You spoon an amount of this into a leaf, then roll the leaf around
the pork mixture and eat. The contrast between the cool, fresh lettuce and
the warm, often sweetish pork, is very nice.

--
Ken Berry

"Lori Lee" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:36:39 GMT, "JJ" > wrote:
>
> >Hi all....
> >
> >Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> >restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> >cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
> >
> >I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> >but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
> >
> >Thanks for any info.....
> >
> >S.

> I am familiar with "soong" dishes, even in smaller local restaurants.
> Minced meat or poulty with pine nuts, served with a pile of lettuce
> leaves for each diner to make a wrap.
>
> Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

Ken Berry

In Australia it is very common in Asian restaurants -- I first had it nearly
30 years ago in a Burmese restaurant which claimed it was a Burmese dish
(which I rather doubt, but who knows...?) It is called San(g) Choy Bow
(pronounced as it 'bow wow' rather than 'pussy's bow') i.e. in the Chinese
bun category. Basically, diners are given a bowl with lots of crisp, large
lettuce leaves and another bowl of IMHO a rather delicious warm minced pork
creation. You spoon an amount of this into a leaf, then roll the leaf around
the pork mixture and eat. The contrast between the cool, fresh lettuce and
the warm, often sweetish pork, is very nice.

--
Ken Berry

"Lori Lee" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:36:39 GMT, "JJ" > wrote:
>
> >Hi all....
> >
> >Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> >restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> >cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
> >
> >I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> >but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
> >
> >Thanks for any info.....
> >
> >S.

> I am familiar with "soong" dishes, even in smaller local restaurants.
> Minced meat or poulty with pine nuts, served with a pile of lettuce
> leaves for each diner to make a wrap.
>
> Remove "No Spam" from e-mail address before replying

arby

there is a dish called soong...which ive had since i was a boy in new york
in the 60's. at that time, seafood like lobster or real crab (not fake
crab!) was cooked in a white sauce and served over a nest of deep fried
crispy rice noodles. all on top of some lettuce leaves...
but it was not a wrap like i had very similar dishes in recent years...

being a new york foodie..i dont know about actual asian origins...
i'd like to know too...

arby

"JJ" > wrote in
:

> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new
> chinese restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way
> authentic chinese cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese
> restaurants, but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

arby

there is a dish called soong...which ive had since i was a boy in new york
in the 60's. at that time, seafood like lobster or real crab (not fake
crab!) was cooked in a white sauce and served over a nest of deep fried
crispy rice noodles. all on top of some lettuce leaves...
but it was not a wrap like i had very similar dishes in recent years...

being a new york foodie..i dont know about actual asian origins...
i'd like to know too...

arby

"JJ" > wrote in
:

> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new
> chinese restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way
> authentic chinese cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese
> restaurants, but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Betty Lee

FreddieN > wrote:
+ "JJ" > wrote:
+ > Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
+ > restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic chinese
+ > cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
+ >
+
+ Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
+ Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.

According to...

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=61

"Native to the eastern Mediterranean region and western Asia, lettuce
has a long and distinguished history. ... In China, where lettuce has
been growing since the 5th century, lettuce represents good luck. It
is served on birthdays, New Years Day and other special occasions."

I remember my grandmother making dishes wrapped in lettuce and then
steamed. I also remember my grandmother being horrified when she
came over here and found that we often eat lettuce raw.

Hoges in WA

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Sang Choy Bow

I put a bit of sunflower oil in my wok
Then some Sesame oil. About a tbls

Then 4 chopped up cloves of garlic and about 3 tsp minced ginger. I couldn'
t get my ginger peeled properly - was a bit old and woody so I used my back
up commercial jar. Then I put in about 4 finely chopped spring onions.

Then I put in about 1kg chicken breasts I had minced and about 250g pork
also minced up in my KA mincer attachment.

Browned this.

Then I added 4 finely chopped up carrots, 325g chopped up water chestnuts
and one finely chopped red capsicum.

Plus
2 tbls Oyster sauce
about 4 tbls rice vinegar
3 tbls Soy

and cooked it

and then ate it in cold lettuce leaves.

Was good too.

Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Hoges in WA

"JJ" > wrote in message
> Hi all....
>
> Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new chinese
> restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
>
> I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
>
> Thanks for any info.....
>
> S.

Sang Choy Bow

I put a bit of sunflower oil in my wok
Then some Sesame oil. About a tbls

Then 4 chopped up cloves of garlic and about 3 tsp minced ginger. I couldn'
t get my ginger peeled properly - was a bit old and woody so I used my back
up commercial jar. Then I put in about 4 finely chopped spring onions.

Then I put in about 1kg chicken breasts I had minced and about 250g pork
also minced up in my KA mincer attachment.

Browned this.

Then I added 4 finely chopped up carrots, 325g chopped up water chestnuts
and one finely chopped red capsicum.

Plus
2 tbls Oyster sauce
about 4 tbls rice vinegar
3 tbls Soy

and cooked it

and then ate it in cold lettuce leaves.

Was good too.

Hoges in WA
Remove the zeds.

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>James Silverton wrote:
>>

>>>"FreddieN" > wrote in message

>>>go to

>>>I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
>>>prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
>>>Vietnamese influenced.
>>>

>>I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
>>peanuts, and a few other things.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>James Silverton wrote:
>>

>>>"FreddieN" > wrote in message

>>>go to

>>>I've seen them in "Chinese" restaurants in France tho' that may not
>>>prove too much since such restaurants are often Indo-Chinese or
>>>Vietnamese influenced.
>>>

>>I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
>>peanuts, and a few other things.
>>
>>--
>>Dan
>>

> If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.

--
Dan

Musashi

"Betty Lee" > wrote in message
> FreddieN > wrote:
> + "JJ" > wrote:
> + > Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new

chinese
> + > restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> + > cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
> + >
> + > I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> + > but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
> +
> + Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
> + Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
>
> According to...
>
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=61
>
> "Native to the eastern Mediterranean region and western Asia, lettuce
> has a long and distinguished history. ... In China, where lettuce has
> been growing since the 5th century, lettuce represents good luck. It
> is served on birthdays, New Years Day and other special occasions."
>
> I remember my grandmother making dishes wrapped in lettuce and then
> steamed. I also remember my grandmother being horrified when she
> came over here and found that we often eat lettuce raw.

I have had chinese dishes that had lettuce in it, cooked.
I think this discussion is about raw lettuce as a wrap.

Musashi

"Betty Lee" > wrote in message
> FreddieN > wrote:
> + "JJ" > wrote:
> + > Quick question.... The lettuce wraps that are being found in new

chinese
> + > restaurants.....Does anyone know if these are in any way authentic

chinese
> + > cuisine, or are they an american (western) creation?
> + >
> + > I've seen them at PF changs, and some other 'up scale' chinese

restaurants,
> + > but never in a neighborhood restaurant...
> +
> + Lettuce Wrap is usually associated with Korean BBQ.
> + Don't know if they are "chinese" at all.
>
> According to...
>
> http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=61
>
> "Native to the eastern Mediterranean region and western Asia, lettuce
> has a long and distinguished history. ... In China, where lettuce has
> been growing since the 5th century, lettuce represents good luck. It
> is served on birthdays, New Years Day and other special occasions."
>
> I remember my grandmother making dishes wrapped in lettuce and then
> steamed. I also remember my grandmother being horrified when she
> came over here and found that we often eat lettuce raw.

I have had chinese dishes that had lettuce in it, cooked.
I think this discussion is about raw lettuce as a wrap.

James Silverton

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > >>

> > If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty

intersting.

> Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
> I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.
>
> --
> Dan

Shiso sounds like a good idea. I know I like eating a little at the
same time as the tuna in sashimi (just avoid the places that use
plastic shiso (g)!)

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

James Silverton

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > >>

> > If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty

intersting.

> Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
> I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.
>
> --
> Dan

Shiso sounds like a good idea. I know I like eating a little at the
same time as the tuna in sashimi (just avoid the places that use
plastic shiso (g)!)

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> >>I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
> >>peanuts, and a few other things.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Dan
> >>

> > If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

> Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
> I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.
>
> --
> Dan

Never tried it with Red Shiso, but don't see why it shouldn't work.
The Red/Green is an asthetic thing anway for presentation.

Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:

> >>I've seen lettuce wraps in Vietnamese restaurants, with roasted meat,
> >>peanuts, and a few other things.
> >>
> >>--
> >>Dan
> >>

> > If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.

> Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
> I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.
>
> --
> Dan

Never tried it with Red Shiso, but don't see why it shouldn't work.
The Red/Green is an asthetic thing anway for presentation.

Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:
>>
>>>If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty
>>>

> intersting.
>
>>Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
>>I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.

> Shiso sounds like a good idea. I know I like eating a little at the
> same time as the tuna in sashimi (just avoid the places that use
> plastic shiso (g)!)

I had Korean BBQ a few weeks ago, and they gave us lettuce leaves and
something similar to huge shiso leaves. They didn't have the same flavor
but had a similar look, the jagged edges and such.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

James Silverton wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:
>>
>>>If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty
>>>

> intersting.
>
>>Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
>>I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.

> Shiso sounds like a good idea. I know I like eating a little at the
> same time as the tuna in sashimi (just avoid the places that use
> plastic shiso (g)!)

I had Korean BBQ a few weeks ago, and they gave us lettuce leaves and
something similar to huge shiso leaves. They didn't have the same flavor
but had a similar look, the jagged edges and such.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

Musashi wrote:

> "Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
>
>>Musashi wrote:

>>>If you ever run out of lettuce to wrap beef, Shiso is pretty intersting.
>>>

>>Indeed! Will Red Shiso work? I have tons of it growing now..
>>I might have to kill it for my impending source of green shiso.

> Never tried it with Red Shiso, but don't see why it shouldn't work.
> The Red/Green is an asthetic thing anway for presentation.

To me, the red leaves seem to have less flavor and a tougher texture
than the green. I've read that red is only used for pickling.

--
Dan

Dan Logcher