Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

Default seasonings

Last week I spilled on the floor one of those tiny plastic Tone's
containers of poppy seeds. Those little tabs in the lid are impossible
to press down. I used a tiny fondue fork :-) and I am damned lucky I
skewered/shattered the bottom of the container and not myself!

So I looked at my larger "shaker" bottles of seasonings-I never use the
french fry salt/pepper seasoning bottle. I unscrewed the lid, popped off
the plastic shaker topper, dumped the contents, filled the bottle with
poppy seeds (no, not the ones on the floor) and popped back on the
shaker topper. Worked great last night on my grilled cheese sandwich
which I always coat with poppy seeds before frying.

I am now eyeing my large plastic Kraft cheese bottle-I think I am going
to add a bottle of a special seasoning blend to the cheese for quick and
easy zip.

This would be an excellent cheap Christmas gift-personally customized
seasoning blends-you can remove the labels and add your own pretty
strips of paper (think scrapbooking) and even customize the look to
match someone's kitchen decor. This would be a great craft project for
kids.