Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

Default question about seasonings

Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
experiment but cheaply :-)

For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking a
full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and basil
compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just dumping
combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough to get an
idea of the taste?

Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Yes" > wrote in message
> Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
> without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
> experiment but cheaply :-)
>
> For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
> potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
> spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking a
> full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and basil
> compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just dumping
> combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough to get an
> idea of the taste?
>
> Thanks.

Ummm... I'm not even sure what you are talking about! Boiled rice might
not even have any seasonings, particularly if it is for Asian foods. Not
even salt! Mashed potatoes would have salt and pepper of course but most
likely not oregano or thyme. You can't really just taste the seasonings by
themselves. They go with certain foods. Like, chives go with potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes wrote:

> Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
> without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
> experiment but cheaply :-)
>
> For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
> potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
> spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking
> a full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and
> basil compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just
> dumping combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough
> to get an idea of the taste?

One of the better "supports" for tastings is bread, just white non-fancy
bread. It's used in olive oil tastings, for cheese tastings... why not use
it for spice / herbs tastings? Maybe with a very delicate oil to facilitate
the tasting by the tongue, since dry substances do not stimulate properly
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Yes wrote:
>
>> Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
>> without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
>> experiment but cheaply :-)
>>
>> For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
>> potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
>> spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking
>> a full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and
>> basil compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just
>> dumping combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough
>> to get an idea of the taste?

> One of the better "supports" for tastings is bread, just white non-fancy
> bread. It's used in olive oil tastings, for cheese tastings... why not use
> it for spice / herbs tastings? Maybe with a very delicate oil to
> facilitate the tasting by the tongue, since dry substances do not
> stimulate properly

Heck, I have just eaten the spices to see if I like them!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 02:43:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "ViLco" > wrote in message
> > Yes wrote:
> >
> >> Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
> >> without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
> >> experiment but cheaply :-)
> >>
> >> For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
> >> potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
> >> spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking
> >> a full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and
> >> basil compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just
> >> dumping combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough
> >> to get an idea of the taste?

> > One of the better "supports" for tastings is bread, just white non-fancy
> > bread. It's used in olive oil tastings, for cheese tastings... why not use
> > it for spice / herbs tastings? Maybe with a very delicate oil to
> > facilitate the tasting by the tongue, since dry substances do not
> > stimulate properly

> Heck, I have just eaten the spices to see if I like them!!

Me too, but hey... some people like to make a big deal out of tasting
things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>>> One of the better "supports" for tastings is bread, just white
>>> non-fancy bread. It's used in olive oil tastings, for cheese
>>> tastings... why not use it for spice / herbs tastings? Maybe with a
>>> very delicate oil to facilitate the tasting by the tongue, since
>>> dry substances do not stimulate properly

>> Heck, I have just eaten the spices to see if I like them!!

> Me too, but hey... some people like to make a big deal out of tasting
> things.

Just as lots of people think they're tasting something while they're
actually only tasting a tenth of that something: dry ground gerbs are an
example, EVO oil is another one. If someone doesn't know how tastebuds
work...
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 10:01:32 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>>> Heck, I have just eaten the spices to see if I like them!!

>> Me too, but hey... some people like to make a big deal out of tasting
>> things.

>Just as lots of people think they're tasting something while they're
>actually only tasting a tenth of that something: dry ground gerbs are an
>example, EVO oil is another one. If someone doesn't know how tastebuds
>work...

Taste buds only discern salt, sweet, bitter, and sour... the true
human taster is the olefactory sense... 90% of what folks subscribe to
taste is in fact smell... most especially herbs, without their aroma
one may as well graze their lawn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Just as lots of people think they're tasting something while they're
>> actually only tasting a tenth of that something: dry ground gerbs
>> are an example, EVO oil is another one. If someone doesn't know how
>> tastebuds work...

> Taste buds only discern salt, sweet, bitter, and sour...

But these are discerned by tastebuds only, no olfactory sense will ever tell
you how acidic (for example) a food is
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 15:59:03 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Just as lots of people think they're tasting something while they're
>>> actually only tasting a tenth of that something: dry ground gerbs
>>> are an example, EVO oil is another one. If someone doesn't know how
>>> tastebuds work...

>> Taste buds only discern salt, sweet, bitter, and sour...

>But these are discerned by tastebuds only, no olfactory sense will ever tell
>you how acidic (for example) a food is

You're regurgitating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Taste buds only discern salt, sweet, bitter, and sour...

>> But these are discerned by tastebuds only, no olfactory sense will
>> ever tell you how acidic (for example) a food is

> You're regurgitating.

Just adding up
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

sf wrote:

> The only tastings I benefit from are wine tastings because I drink it
> unadulterated. I've actually been to a tasting of grass fed beef,
> which IMO was of no benefit. Sure there were differences I could
> taste, but all were delicious and I wouldn't object to being served
> any one of them. It also drove home that "tasting" at the home level
> is a pretentious waste of time.

Well, that says it all. For those of us who are not cooks and/or who
do not know the difference in taste between say licorice and salt
and/or who are curious about what the combinations might taste like, we
are engaged in a "pretentious waste of time". Therefore, there's no
point to want to experiment and find out what something tastes like and
may as well stick our heads in the sand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Jul 2013 18:20:27 +0000 (UTC), "Yes" >
wrote:

> sf wrote:
>
> > The only tastings I benefit from are wine tastings because I drink it
> > unadulterated. I've actually been to a tasting of grass fed beef,
> > which IMO was of no benefit. Sure there were differences I could
> > taste, but all were delicious and I wouldn't object to being served
> > any one of them. It also drove home that "tasting" at the home level
> > is a pretentious waste of time.

> Well, that says it all. For those of us who are not cooks and/or who
> do not know the difference in taste between say licorice and salt
> and/or who are curious about what the combinations might taste like, we
> are engaged in a "pretentious waste of time". Therefore, there's no
> point to want to experiment and find out what something tastes like and
> may as well stick our heads in the sand.

You need to grow up.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes View Post
Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
experiment but cheaply :-)

For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs and
spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than cooking a
full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say oregano and basil
compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter, would just dumping
combinations of spices and herbs into boiling water be enough to get an
idea of the taste?

Thanks.
Well I tried to post on this once before but guess the space aliens grabbed the message or something. Was just going to say..yes..you are sorta on the right track. Use the strong aromatic stuff in strict moderation. Just give them a tease...unless its like cinnamon toast or something like that. There is exceptions to every rule of course. Greeks and Eyetalians..and most especially Portuguese do not seem to follow the rules. That is why they are backward countries most likely. You dont need to do much experimenting. We can tell you when you are screwing up. Just give a bit of advance notice of your intents. Thanks.

Last edited by bigwheel : 03-07-2013 at 01:29 AM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>> of their flavors and scents. People working in the tasting business,
>> as it is a business, know a lot more than the average "some people
>> like to make a big deal out of tasting things" Jane.

> Excuse me? You're equating a professional (say a coffee taster) with
> an everyday cook?

Nothing professional, just use use your brain a moment: dry thing do not get
tasted well due to lack of humidity or mastication, bread and oil are for
that. It can't get easier than that and no, I've never been trained for
professional tasting of herbs and spices.

> Then you might as well include the professional
> sniffers too. I prefer doing my tasting AS I cook.

Feel free to go on tasting the way you like

> The only tastings I benefit from are wine tastings because I drink it
> unadulterated. I've actually been to a tasting of grass fed beef,
> which IMO was of no benefit. Sure there were differences I could
> taste, but all were delicious and I wouldn't object to being served
> any one of them. It also drove home that "tasting" at the home level
> is a pretentious waste of time.

Only if you make a big deal out of it
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

sf wrote:

> You need to grow up.

Been there, done that. It's not all that it's cracked up to be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Yes Yes is offline

bigwheel wrote:

> Yes;1844638 Wrote:
> > Are there any tips to taste test combinations of spices and herbs
> > without having to preparing an entire meal? I'd like to learn and
> > experiment but cheaply :-)
> >
> > For example, would something like cooking boiled rice or mashed
> > potatoes be sufficient to test how different combinations of herbs
> > and spices might taste? It seems like that would be cheaper than
> > cooking a full-fledged meal just to taste test a combo of say
> > oregano and basil compared to oregano and thyme. for that matter,
> > would just dumping combinations of spices and herbs into boiling
> > water be enough to get an idea of the taste?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Well I tried to post on this once before but guess the space aliens
> grabbed the message or something. Was just going to say..yes..you are
> sorta on the right track. Use the strong aromatic stuff in strict
> moderation. Just give them a tease...unless its like cinnamon toast or
> something like that. There is exceptions to every rule of course.
> Greeks and Eyetalians..and most especially Portuguese do not seem to
> follow the rules. That is why they are backward countries most
> likely. You dont need to do much experimenting. We can tell you when
> you are screwing up. Just give a bit of advance notice of your
> intents. Thanks.

Thank you and the others for the encouragement. I'm not sure how
diligently I'll report just because I get caught up doing other things,
but it's good to know some different approaches to learning what
combinations of herbs, spices, seasonings may taste like.

seasonings z z General Cooking 0 04-07-2012 04:53 PM
Italian food seasonings question Yes General Cooking 7 06-05-2012 09:26 PM
Seasonings you use instead of salt maxine in ri General Cooking 63 21-06-2007 03:42 PM
QUESTION: Pepperoni Seasonings? Spread deMocracy Vegetarian cooking 5 29-04-2005 05:39 AM
Seasonings finalquest Barbecue 2 18-01-2004 01:25 AM