Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is this Debbie?

http://i45.tinypic.com/qxmj4x.jpg

What a storm just passed us. Nothing like what went on in FL. Power
flickering, smell of ozone in the air, lots of lightening, thunder and
torrential rain here in MD.

The road is covered with small limbs and green leaves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> http://i45.tinypic.com/qxmj4x.jpg
>
> What a storm just passed us. Nothing like what went on in FL. Power
> flickering, smell of ozone in the air, lots of lightening, thunder and
> torrential rain here in MD.
>
> The road is covered with small limbs and green leaves.

I hope those are tree limbs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/30/2012 12:53 AM, Somebody wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> http://i45.tinypic.com/qxmj4x.jpg
>>
>> What a storm just passed us. Nothing like what went on in FL. Power
>> flickering, smell of ozone in the air, lots of lightening, thunder and
>> torrential rain here in MD.
>>
>> The road is covered with small limbs and green leaves.

> I hope those are tree limbs.

Ok, that made me laugh. Being out and about today I've found I was
very lucky. Whole trees down everywhere.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:06:54 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 6/30/2012 12:53 AM, Somebody wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>>> http://i45.tinypic.com/qxmj4x.jpg
>>>
>>> What a storm just passed us. Nothing like what went on in FL. Power
>>> flickering, smell of ozone in the air, lots of lightening, thunder and
>>> torrential rain here in MD.
>>>
>>> The road is covered with small limbs and green leaves.

>> I hope those are tree limbs.
>>

>Ok, that made me laugh. Being out and about today I've found I was
>very lucky. Whole trees down everywhere.

Watching the news made me wonder what kind of morons allow those
atiquated huge trees right along side their homes. If you were lucky
enough to escape disaster this time have those trees removed
immediately, you may not be so lucky next time. Those types of trees
should never have been planted near a house anyway, there are plenty
of trees to choose that grow to more appropriate sizes. And of course
the highway and utility crews are remiss in not doing their jobs
either, they should be removing all trees that if they fall can take
down utility wires and/or fall across a roadway. There is no reason
to plant street trees that will grow fifty feet tall and as wide.
Those sycamore trees that were planted along your town's streets a
hundred years ago were cute then, but now they are eighty feet tall,
weigh over ten tons, and are all rotten inside. Gorgeous but I'd not
want to live on this street:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2012 9:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Watching the news made me wonder what kind of morons allow those
> atiquated huge trees right along side their homes. If you were lucky
> enough to escape disaster this time have those trees removed
> immediately, you may not be so lucky next time. Those types of trees
> should never have been planted near a house anyway, there are plenty
> of trees to choose that grow to more appropriate sizes. And of course
> the highway and utility crews are remiss in not doing their jobs
> either, they should be removing all trees that if they fall can take
> down utility wires and/or fall across a roadway. There is no reason
> to plant street trees that will grow fifty feet tall and as wide.
> Those sycamore trees that were planted along your town's streets a
> hundred years ago were cute then, but now they are eighty feet tall,
> weigh over ten tons, and are all rotten inside. Gorgeous but I'd not
> want to live on this street:
> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/

Most of the trees here aren't on my property so I can't do anything
about it. Besides, in this area, if there were no trees close to homes,
there would be no trees.

Agree about the power companies not doing their job right. One of the
counties worst power companies in terms of reliable service is right
here. PEPCO. They've made a point to say how much they've improved
this year with tree cutting but I'm sure their going to get all the bad
press again after this.

As for not being lucky, it's already happened in my neighborhood where
all of the unstable trees were taken out. TS Isobel in 2004 took care
of that for us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 11:44:30 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 18:06:54 -0400, Cheryl >
>> wrote:

>>>Ok, that made me laugh. Being out and about today I've found I was
>>>very lucky. Whole trees down everywhere.

>> Watching the news made me wonder what kind of morons allow those
>> atiquated huge trees right along side their homes. If you were lucky
>> enough to escape disaster this time have those trees removed
>> immediately, you may not be so lucky next time. Those types of trees
>> should never have been planted near a house anyway, there are plenty
>> of trees to choose that grow to more appropriate sizes. And of course
>> the highway and utility crews are remiss in not doing their jobs
>> either, they should be removing all trees that if they fall can take
>> down utility wires and/or fall across a roadway. There is no reason
>> to plant street trees that will grow fifty feet tall and as wide.
>> Those sycamore trees that were planted along your town's streets a
>> hundred years ago were cute then, but now they are eighty feet tall,
>> weigh over ten tons, and are all rotten inside. Gorgeous but I'd not
>> want to live on this street:
>> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/

>Highway crews don't do trees, rather road services.
>Utility crews just do wires.
>
>Around here all roadside tree pruning is passed on to Asplund, a contracted
>county (state?) tree service.

Contracted is still the highway department, they're paid from the same
budget. They trim around here too, at the snail's pace they move a
big rip off.

>I see them all the time, year round. I had a
>grape vine growing on the wires for about 20 feet. It was beautiful. A
>natural "welcome awning." until they came by and snipped and poisoned the
>root, leaving the vine to decay for all to see.
>
>If I had to trade my white pines, I'd surround myself with these...
>
>http://oi48.tinypic.com/2r5b587.jpg

What is it, looks like Japanese maple but the picture isn't very
clear.

>How old? I can't begin to guess only that mine is 20 years old and should
>be ashamed of its puny self.
>
>Hey, Sheldon...
>
>Mow this...
>
>http://oi48.tinypic.com/333esr9.jpg
>Naaracourtte, SA, Australia at Jack's station (farm). Total acreage: 12,000
>acres. We ate one or more of those critters while staying there! :9 YAY!
>food-related!!! LOL!

Could be Kansas, or Manitoba. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 14:47:25 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/1/2012 9:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> Watching the news made me wonder what kind of morons allow those
>> atiquated huge trees right along side their homes. If you were lucky
>> enough to escape disaster this time have those trees removed
>> immediately, you may not be so lucky next time. Those types of trees
>> should never have been planted near a house anyway, there are plenty
>> of trees to choose that grow to more appropriate sizes. And of course
>> the highway and utility crews are remiss in not doing their jobs
>> either, they should be removing all trees that if they fall can take
>> down utility wires and/or fall across a roadway. There is no reason
>> to plant street trees that will grow fifty feet tall and as wide.
>> Those sycamore trees that were planted along your town's streets a
>> hundred years ago were cute then, but now they are eighty feet tall,
>> weigh over ten tons, and are all rotten inside. Gorgeous but I'd not
>> want to live on this street:
>> http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/65316/

>Most of the trees here aren't on my property so I can't do anything
>about it.

If your neighbor's trees damage your property you can sue them... it's
a good idea to take pictures *now* of any of their trees that can fall
on your property.

>Besides, in this area, if there were no trees close to homes,
>there would be no trees.

As I said, there are plenty of trees that grow to a size appropriate
for smaller properties. Too many people go to a plant nursery to buy
a tree and never consider how large it will grow, all they are
concerned with is a low price and how fast it will grow. Trees that
grow up fast fall down fast. Fast growing trees typically have very
weak wood and invasive roots. You'll have to live with a tree for a
very long time, so it's a good idea to do careful research and put a
lot of thought into the project, not much different than deciding to
marry. A tree can easily outlive you, your children, your grands and
theirs. You don't want to plant say an oak, a willow, or a locust on
a city lot, instead choose a hawthorne, a ginkgo, a redbud, or one of
the many ornamental fruit trees. If not sure ask... it's silly to
plant a tree just to realize after you've tended it and watched it
grow for fifteen years you have to have it removed beause it's
towering twenty feet over your roof and thrusting branches into your
windows.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2012 5:16 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> If your neighbor's trees damage your property you can sue them... it's
> a good idea to take pictures*now* of any of their trees that can fall
> on your property.

Duh. I replied to your comment about cutting down all trees in the
vicinity of my house, not what happens after one of them falls on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 15:43:19 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>>>If I had to trade my white pines, I'd surround myself with these...
>>>
>>>http://oi48.tinypic.com/2r5b587.jpg

>> What is it, looks like Japanese maple but the picture isn't very
>> clear.

>Yes. It's a miniature Japanese maple..
>
>The leaves are so small and densely packed there is very little detail.
>
>I inspected it close up and it looks like two trees but one branch was
>train to, or accidentally take root.. The shorter tree on the left is the
>younger "tree."

First thing the deer here would ask is what kind of dressing...