Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Debbie Meyer's Green Boxes?

Anyone own these? Worth the money?

Thanks for any comments, good or bad.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed 03 Jun 2009 08:36:50p, jt august told us...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10902717

> 49 piece set for $14.50
> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4634069
>
> BTW, the latter is "as seen on TV" also.
>
> jt

I bought the last item you listed, the 49 piece set, at the "original"
price of $19.95. They were durable and convenient to store, but I didn't
particularly care for their vertical shape, especially in the largest size.
It made storing some types of items difficult and was not a particularly
good shape for reheating in the microwave.

OTOH, for many items they made ideal freezer storage containers.

I've since "used them up" and have moved on to a variety of other storage
containers (different shapes, materials, etc.).

--
Wayne Boatwright
The belly rules the mind. ~Spanish Proverb

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 03 Jun 2009 08:36:50p, jt august told us...
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone own these? Worth the money?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

> > 20 piece set for $50, that's $5.00 per bowl (2 pieces, one bowl and one
> > lid). I can do better than that at Wally World with either of these two
> >
> > 24 piece set for $11.00

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10902717

> > 49 piece set for $14.50
> > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4634069
> >
> > BTW, the latter is "as seen on TV" also.
> >
> > jt

> I bought the last item you listed, the 49 piece set, at the "original"
> price of $19.95. They were durable and convenient to store, but I didn't
> particularly care for their vertical shape, especially in the largest size.
> It made storing some types of items difficult and was not a particularly
> good shape for reheating in the microwave.
>
> OTOH, for many items they made ideal freezer storage containers.
>
> I've since "used them up" and have moved on to a variety of other storage
> containers (different shapes, materials, etc.).

My point being that there are better options than the overpriced HSN
option the OP was asking about.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 04 Jun 2009 06:42:40p, jt august told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Wed 03 Jun 2009 08:36:50p, jt august told us...
>>
>> > In article

>> > 20 piece set for $50, that's $5.00 per bowl (2 pieces, one bowl and
>> > one lid). I can do better than that at Wally World with either of
>> > these two options:
>> >
>> > 24 piece set for $11.00

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10902717

>> > 49 piece set for $14.50
>> > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4634069
>> >
>> > BTW, the latter is "as seen on TV" also.
>> >
>> > jt

>> I bought the last item you listed, the 49 piece set, at the "original"
>> price of $19.95. They were durable and convenient to store, but I
>> didn't particularly care for their vertical shape, especially in the
>> largest size. It made storing some types of items difficult and was
>> not a particularly good shape for reheating in the microwave.
>>
>> OTOH, for many items they made ideal freezer storage containers.
>>
>> I've since "used them up" and have moved on to a variety of other
>> storage containers (different shapes, materials, etc.).

> My point being that there are better options than the overpriced HSN
> option the OP was asking about.
>
> jt

There are almost always better options than the crap sold on HSN.

--
Wayne Boatwright
A man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jun 3, 11:36*pm, jt august > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> wrote:
> > Anyone own these? *Worth the money?

> > Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

> 20 piece set for $50, that's $5.00 per bowl (2 pieces, one bowl and one
> lid). *I can do better than that at Wally World with either of these two
>
> 24 piece set for $11.00http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10902717
>
> 49 piece set for $14.50http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4634069
>
> BTW, the latter is "as seen on TV" also.
>
> jt

Wal Mart is not green boxes! How about GREEN BOXES!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Lisa O'Connell" > wrote:

> On Jun 3, 11:36*pm, jt august > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Anyone own these? *Worth the money?

> > > Thanks for any comments, good or bad.

> > 20 piece set for $50, that's $5.00 per bowl (2 pieces, one bowl and one
> > lid). *I can do better than that at Wally World with either of these two
> >
> > 24 piece set for
> > $11.00http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10902717
> >
> > 49 piece set for
> > $14.50http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4634069
> >
> > BTW, the latter is "as seen on TV" also.
> >
> > jt

> Wal Mart is not green boxes! How about GREEN BOXES!

You're right. Green Boxes are WAY over priced. The Wally World stuff
IS recyclable, so that it doesn't go in the dump when you're done if you
do things right. Green Boxes will go in the dump if you don't recycle
them, though, making them no more green than the Wally World stuff
unless you do your part.

Why does going Green have to cost so much Green?

As to if they work or not for what they claim, I found a few glowing
reviews and somewhat more negative reviews, and on HSN itself, an
average of 2.5 stars, with all the rost I glanced over being either 1 or
5, so people either love them or hate them, very little middle ground
attitude.

Personally, I don't buy the hype. I can't find anything about this
stuff at Whole Foods, a company I personally respect on the subject of
organics. If these were all that, I would expect WF to at least give
them some sort of nod, if not carry them.

BTW: I shop soulard farmers market here in STL, and I get great storage
life in my down stair refrigerator without any special packaging. It is
a matter of humidity balance and temperature setting.

jt
Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Anyone own these? Worth the money?

Thanks for any comments, good or bad.
My wife and I picked these up about 2 weeks ago and so far they have done everything that they claim. Price seemed a fit high at first but decided to give them a go anyway. We throw away enough rotted fruits and veggies in a year to pay for them anyway.

Everything that we have used them with has shown that they work to date. Nothing has shown signs of rot or aging. (Be sure to check for moisture every three days or so and wipe the container out). I've seen a lot of negative posts on this product and for the life of me I don't know what the folks could be doing wrong. These things really work!