Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oscar Meyer's New York and Chicago dogs (was Choosing A Cantaloupe)

Sqwertz wrote:
> Oscar Mayer has come out with a new line of "Select" beef hot
> dogs with both New York Style and Chicago styles in the lineup. WTF
> makes a plain hot dog a NY or Chi style? Nothing. But I bought one
> package of each just to prove it to myself.
>
> http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmaye...ork-style.html

I buy the Oscar Mayer beef franks. Not the fancy "angus" franks, or the
"uncured" ones. (uncured just means they are cured with nitrites
concentrated from celery juice rather than sodium nitrite) If I'm in a
hurry in the mornings, I'll nuke one for 20 seconds and wrap it in a
slice of bread for a super-quick breakfast that sticks with me for a
while. But lately I've noticed they are much greasier and they shrink
more than they used to. And 20 seconds is almost too much now.

I guess I should expect that from anything owned by Kraft.

Maybe I should make my own wieners. The problem with that is I don't
eat enough of them to do the experimentation to get the spices just right.

-Bob