Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oscar Meyer's New York and Chicago dogs (was Choosing A Cantaloupe)

Sqwertz wrote:

> ObFood: Oscar Mayer has come out with a new line of "Select" beef hot
> dogs with both New York Style and Chicago styles in the lineup. WTF
> makes a plain hot dog a NY or Chi style? Nothing.

They are cooked differently and have different condiments. Before
coming out of the package, any reasonably good dog will do. Chicagoans
swear by Vienna Beef brand. Not better than any kosher brand like
Shofar. Just another hot dog in a plastic package. Yes, they do
compare better against Generic Brand turkey dogs. Shrug.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-28, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> They are cooked differently and have different condiments. Before
> coming out of the package, any reasonably good dog will do. Chicagoans
> swear by Vienna Beef brand. Not better than any kosher brand like
> Shofar. Just another hot dog in a plastic package. Yes, they do
> compare better against Generic Brand turkey dogs.

That's an understatement! Turkey/chicken dogs are inedible, IMO.

The diff between NY and Chi dogs are, yes, the condiments and such.
NY dogs are minimalist. A dog, a bun, and some mustard. Maybe some
kraut. Chi-dogs, OTOH, are an entire meal of a very specific recipe.
Dog, poppy-seed bun, mustard, fresh sliced onion, fresh tomato wedges,
sweet pickle relish, couple "sport peppers", sprinkle of celery salt,
and a dill pickle spear, either in or on the side. It's practically a
hot dog salad. With a good beef tubesteak, both great, but as a
non-native of either city, the Chi-dog gets my vote.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-28, notbob > wrote:

> hot dog salad. With a good beef tubesteak, both great, but as a
> non-native of either city, the Chi-dog gets my vote.

Found a great website for the Chi-dog:

http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/

The NY or Coney Island (Nathan's) or "dirty water" hotdogs are jes a
bun n' mustard. Not something I would normally seek out. The one
thing I DO love about NY is, they're big on grilling their tubesteaks.
Nothing like walking past a storefront window and stopping to watch
some frycook working 3-4 rows of various dogs/brats/whitehots and
watching him roll 'em back and forth with infinite care and panache,
not unlike a symphony conductor, to get 'em blistering hot and evenly
charred on all sides. A noble skill! I can't even imagine a "dirty
water" dog when you can get 'em hot off the griddle, like that.
Boston and upstate NY are partial to this style, too. A real treat on
a cold Winter day.

I'm sure shelly can shed more light on the finer points of NY dogs.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28 Jun 2012 18:24:57 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> The diff between NY and Chi dogs are, yes, the condiments and such.
> NY dogs are minimalist. A dog, a bun, and some mustard. Maybe some
> kraut.

I must be a New Yorker at heart because that's my style... minus the
kraut. I do like onions if someone cuts them up for me, but if I'm
making it for myself and no one else - it's just brown mustard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
> On 2012-06-28, notbob > wrote:
>
>> hot dog salad. With a good beef tubesteak, both great, but as a
>> non-native of either city, the Chi-dog gets my vote.

> Found a great website for the Chi-dog:
>
> http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/

this is what you're looking for

http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-28, tert in seattle > wrote:

> http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.asp

Actually, not.

While I know and love VB stuff and learned all about Chi-dogs from
places that are VB vendors, seems like more and more CD/VB places are
opting for the cheapo smaller skinless dogs and charging the same.
This would not be possible if VB wasn't promoting these skinny-assed
no-skin cheapo crappola dogs. Sad to say, but VB is no longer a
viable source, IMO.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> tert in seattle wrote:
>
>> this is what you're looking for
>> http://www.viennabeef.com/culture/chicagostyle.asp

> Since when does relish come in individual dice like that?

Never. The color of the actual stuff is worse as well. I call it
kyptonite. Horrible stuff. No idea why the natives like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:26:08 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Since when does relish come in individual dice like that?

>> Never. The color of the actual stuff is worse as well. I call it
>> kyptonite. Horrible stuff. No idea why the natives like it.

> It's redundant with the pickle anyway. And relish should not be
> sweet. A good, salt brine cured and fermented pickle spear is all
> that's needed.
>
> Notice their pickle spear must be poking through the bottom of the bun
> and imbedded into the table at the angle that is indicated. The whole
> dog is fake. I prefer my beef dogs with LTPOM. Just like a long thin
> hamburger.
>
> -sw

I don't like hot dogs

my standard order at Demon Dogs (RIP) was a polish with hot peppers &
mustard only