Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default [OT] Absinthe

I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. Who knew!

Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
be exact. I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. My
question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
absinthe?

Over the years I've learned to enjoy some of the more subtle licorice
flavored spices, like fennel. I love anise and star anise. But, I
still do not like licorice. Licorice is jes "too much". So! ...is
good absinthe more anise flavored, like a nice anise biscotti, or
more heavily licorice flavored, like black licorice, which I've
despised my entire life?

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jun 2012 17:28:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. Who knew!

I knew! My wife is a Johnny Depp fan sow she picked me up a bottle
a couple years ago. [not Lucid-- we didn't get that around here for
several months]

We ordered a spoon through Amazon, and managed to find some sugar
cubes after much ado.

About 1/2 way through sipping the tasty drink rather aggressively, I
said 'This sure tastes stronger than 55 proof' - Maybe because it is
55% alcohol, my son pointed out. Oops-- I think Lucid is in the mid
60's-- Looks like a liqueur, tastes like one-- but it isn't one.

>Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
>be exact. I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. My
>question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
>absinthe?

Licorice on steroids.

>Over the years I've learned to enjoy some of the more subtle licorice
>flavored spices, like fennel. I love anise and star anise. But, I
>still do not like licorice.

Then you wasted your money, IMO-- want my address? <g>

> Licorice is jes "too much". So! ...is
>good absinthe more anise flavored, like a nice anise biscotti, or
>more heavily licorice flavored, like black licorice, which I've
>despised my entire life?

I just sampled mine again. I'd say licorice--- you want Anise, try
Galliano or Sambucca. [that one's from memory- none on my shelf]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. Who knew!

Kinda, sorta. The legal limits on the psychoactive ingredient,
thujone, are now so low that you are unlikely to feel any effect.
It is not the same as pre-ban absinthe.

>Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
>be exact. I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. My
>question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
>absinthe?

Ideally you would fine one where the flavor of _Artemisia absinthum_
is most dominant. This means the least amount of other flavorings
such as anise. A good one in this respect is Tunel. I have not
had Lucid. I had the St. George's and was unimpressed.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Absinthe

On Jun 24, 10:28*am, notbob > wrote:
> I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. *Who knew! *
>
> Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
> be exact. *I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. *My
> question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
> absinthe?

I have a bottle of Pacifique which is brewed and bottled here in
Woodinville, WA by Pacific Distillery.
The ingredients a
Anise, Angelica, Corriander, Fennel, Hyssop, Melissa, Grand
Wormwood and Roman Wormwood.

It is delightful.

I also use it in my Sazeracs, my favorite coctail of all time.

I'm not a fan of licorice either and the Pacifique is more anise
flavored to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 24, 12:00*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jun 24, 10:28*am, notbob > wrote:
>
> > I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. *Who knew! *

> > Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
> > be exact. *I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. *My
> > question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
> > absinthe?

> I have a bottle of Pacifique *which is brewed and bottled here in
> Woodinville, WA by Pacific Distillery.
> The ingredients a
> * * * * *Anise, Angelica, Corriander, Fennel, Hyssop, Melissa, Grand
> Wormwood and Roman Wormwood.
>
> It is delightful.
>
> I also use it in my Sazeracs, my favorite coctail of all time.
>
> I'm not a fan of licorice either and the Pacifique is more anise
> flavored to me.

Here's a good review of the Pacifique

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...sk=view&id=493

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 24, 12:03*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> On Jun 24, 12:00*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 24, 10:28*am, notbob > wrote:

> > > I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. *Who knew! *

> > > Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
> > > be exact. *I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. *My
> > > question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
> > > absinthe?

> > I have a bottle of Pacifique *which is brewed and bottled here in
> > Woodinville, WA by Pacific Distillery.
> > The ingredients a
> > * * * * *Anise, Angelica, Corriander, Fennel, Hyssop, Melissa, Grand
> > Wormwood and Roman Wormwood.

> > It is delightful.

> > I also use it in my Sazeracs, my favorite coctail of all time.

> > I'm not a fan of licorice either and the Pacifique is more anise
> > flavored to me.

> Here's a good review of the Pacifique
>
> http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...tent&task=view....

The wormwood society website has excellent informaton and instruction
as to how to properly prepare
the beautiful drink.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...2&It emid=228

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2012 1:28 PM, notbob wrote:
> I jes learned real absinthe is again legal in the US. Who knew!
>
> Also learned my local liquor store carries some good stuff, Lucid to
> be exact. I thought I've give it a try, despite the hefty price. My
> question boils down to, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
> absinthe?

My son was ordering it by mail more than 10 years ago.

> Over the years I've learned to enjoy some of the more subtle licorice
> flavored spices, like fennel. I love anise and star anise. But, I
> still do not like licorice. Licorice is jes "too much". So! ...is
> good absinthe more anise flavored, like a nice anise biscotti, or
> more heavily licorice flavored, like black licorice, which I've
> despised my entire life?

Try Pernod.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 Jun 2012 17:28:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
>absinthe?

Do mean the first time (drinking it) or the second time (puking it)?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

-snip-

>Here's a good review of the Pacifique
>
>http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...sk=view&id=493

Aha-- Thanks for that. Looks like I'm in for another bottle of
Absinthe. I like licorice- so I am happy with my Absente. But
they put this note on the review-
"Despite the distributor\'s comments, Absente is not an absinthe.
Absinthe must contain Artemisia absinthium, hence the name. Southern
wormwood, Artemisia abrotanum, is one of many species of Artemisia
commonly called \"wormwood\". It is not \"petite wormwood\", which is
Artemisia pontica, an authentic absinthe ingredient."
http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index...=147:a bsente

So I apologize to nb-- and will keep my eyes open for some Lucid-

Interesting that it *did* get some good reviews on the louche-- and
that was what fascinated my wife from the Depp movie.
[she doesn't drink often- and wouldn't even taste this stuff as she
doesn't care for licorice]

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2012 3:24 PM, Theodore Edward Stosterone wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2012 17:28:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> , what's the true flavor of a good high quality
>> absinthe?
>>

> Do mean the first time (drinking it) or the second time (puking it)?

??? Why would you do that? Don't you know how to drink?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jim Elbrecht > wrote:

> Licorice on steroids.

I've never tasted absinthe. I have downed shots of Pernod which turns
your tongue to stomach into a licorice pipe for about a minute. My whole
idea of existence was based on licorice for that one minute. Could
absinthe be stronger than that? If so, it might kill me. I'll have to
explore this.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 3:24*pm, Theodore Edward Stosterone
> wrote:
On 24 Jun 2012 17:28:51 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >, what's the true flavor of a good high quality
> >absinthe?

> Do mean the first time (drinking it) or the second time (puking it)?

LOL

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-25, Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> I've never tasted absinthe. I have downed shots of Pernod which turns
> your tongue to stomach into a licorice pipe for about a minute. My whole
> idea of existence was based on licorice for that one minute.

ROFL!....

I can relate. In my initiation to drunkin-GI-youth, I tried Pernod,
despite it being only a pale post outlawed shadow of the original.
Gag-a-maggot licorice!! The only thing worse was a single swig of
Mennen Aqua Velva (Skin Bracer? --30-40% abv!) after-shave, which I
recall imbibing on a dare, probably after the Pernod to get that
horrid licorice flavor out of my mouth. It worked! That
somebody-kill-me after-shave flavor lasted fer two painfully sobering
days.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-24, ImStillMags > wrote:

> It is delightful.

Sounds like it.

I think I'll hold off on the Lucid, which some have said is
predominantly licorice in flavor. I hear we have a local absinthe
tasting, somewhere hereabouts. I'll definitely wait, rather than blow
$70 on a chance.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 30/06/2012 10:12 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-06-25, Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:
>>
>> I've never tasted absinthe. I have downed shots of Pernod which turns
>> your tongue to stomach into a licorice pipe for about a minute. My whole
>> idea of existence was based on licorice for that one minute.

> ROFL!....
>
> I can relate. In my initiation to drunkin-GI-youth, I tried Pernod,
> despite it being only a pale post outlawed shadow of the original.
> Gag-a-maggot licorice!! The only thing worse was a single swig of
> Mennen Aqua Velva (Skin Bracer? --30-40% abv!) after-shave, which I
> recall imbibing on a dare, probably after the Pernod to get that
> horrid licorice flavor out of my mouth. It worked! That
> somebody-kill-me after-shave flavor lasted fer two painfully sobering
> days.

Pernod is very popular in some parts of the world, and there are similar
anise flavoured liquors in most areas of southern Europe. I had a rude
surprise with Pernod one hot summer day. I was drinking it with a bit of
water and ice. It was quite refreshing. It was also a lot stronger than
I had realized. For some reason, I had thought that it was like a
liqueur or fortified wine. It is 86 proof.

Burgundy and Absinthe Bill S. Wine 7 05-02-2011 07:23 AM
absinthe for cooking Orson Cart General Cooking 3 01-10-2010 06:00 PM
Welcome Spring with Absinthe mixr General 2 17-07-2010 11:02 AM
OT - Absinthe Robbienorth Wine 11 06-03-2005 07:52 PM
Absinthe Revisited The Saint General 2 13-04-2004 08:52 AM