Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can you make ordinary waffles in a Belgian waffle maker

I've got a Cuisinart Belgian waffle maker, but I'm wondering if that
means I need to use only recipes for Belgian waffles. Stupid question,
but having failed to make decent waffles this morning I'm wondering if
that was the problem (they didn't cook through)
Thanks.
Doug
Posted to rec.food.cooking

malesheep wrote:

> I've got a Cuisinart Belgian waffle maker, but I'm wondering if that
> means I need to use only recipes for Belgian waffles. Stupid question,
> but having failed to make decent waffles this morning I'm wondering if
> that was the problem (they didn't cook through)

"Belgian waffles" are taller and less dense than regular ones. You
might just need to increase the leavener (baking powder). Also, if you
didn't beat the egg white separately, that would make the batter
denser.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:51:25 -0500, in rec.food.cooking, Sqwertz
wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 17:11:32 +0100, malesheep wrote:
>
>> I've got a Cuisinart Belgian waffle maker, but I'm wondering if that
>> means I need to use only recipes for Belgian waffles. Stupid question,
>> but having failed to make decent waffles this morning I'm wondering if
>> that was the problem (they didn't cook through)
>> Thanks.
>> Doug

>I recognize your email address from a long, long time ago. I don't
>remember any specific conversations in particular, so that must mean
>you were pretty "neutral" and withstood the test of Usenet time :-)
>
>ObWaffles: Sorry - No habla Waffleese.
>
>-sw

Yes, I'm an old timer, lived through many wars, helped create several
rec.food newsgroups. Cookie jar, if you recall that.

Doug

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:46:08 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> Then I'd try the recipe on the Bisquick box. [it is the one I use
> for regular waffles after trying dozens of much harder recipes]
>
> Then I'd start experimenting.

I'd use Krusteaz
http://www.krusteaz.com/pancake-and-...-waffle-mix-97

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18 Jun 2012 18:10:49 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> You want good light airy waffles, in any iron? Use buttermilk!
>
> That's it. Case closed.

I love the *flavor* of buttermilk pancakes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2012 11:49 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:46:08 -0400, Jim >
> wrote:
>
>> Then I'd try the recipe on the Bisquick box. [it is the one I use
>> for regular waffles after trying dozens of much harder recipes]
>>
>> Then I'd start experimenting.

> I'd use Krusteaz
> http://www.krusteaz.com/pancake-and-...-waffle-mix-97

That's a good mix. I'd rather use that than make my own batter. I have a
10lb bag of Krusteaz pancake and waffle mix. I use that to make waffles
which I cook in a large Belgian waffle iron. Sometimes I even make
pancakes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/06/2012 5:50 PM, sf wrote:
> On 18 Jun 2012 18:10:49 GMT, > wrote:
>
>> You want good light airy waffles, in any iron? Use buttermilk!
>>
>> That's it. Case closed.

> I love the *flavor* of buttermilk pancakes.

I like the flavour and the texture of buttermilk waffles and pancakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 3:35*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 18/06/2012 5:50 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On 18 Jun 2012 18:10:49 GMT, > *wrote:

> >> You want good light airy waffles, in any iron? *Use buttermilk!

> >> That's it. *Case closed.

> > I love the *flavor* of buttermilk pancakes.

> I like the flavour and the texture of buttermilk waffles and pancakes.

We had breakfast for dinner a couple of weeks ago, and I made
buttermilk pancakes. I cooked them in coconut oil- really good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> [are the waffles in Belgium, 'Belgian'?]

Belgium doesn't exist. http://zapatopi.net/belgium/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> It might be the crummy Cuisinart waffle iron which I have denounced
> here many times. I bought one of those too - hate it - it cooks the
> bottom but not the top too well, so plan on flipping the waffle for a
> minute or two.

That has happened with every low-price waffler I've ever used.

> Also, good luck when the knob falls off the heat
> control. I managed to glue mine back on, but there's still a lot of
> play in it and I'm never sure where I'm at on the dial. I will never
> buy Cuisinart again.

You go, girl!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 4:02*pm, George M. Middius >

> That has happened with every low-price waffler I've ever used.

Yeah - but is there a decent hi-price waffler out there? I tend to
doubt it. Consumers are at a loss to know now what quality items
remain on the market. Between mergers, cheapening of
ingredients....it makes ya wanna buy NOTHING any more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/06/2012 6:23 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 21, 4:02 pm, George M. >
>>
>> That has happened with every low-price waffler I've ever used.

> Yeah - but is there a decent hi-price waffler out there? I tend to
> doubt it. Consumers are at a loss to know now what quality items
> remain on the market. Between mergers, cheapening of
> ingredients....it makes ya wanna buy NOTHING any more.

That's true. Let me put in a plug about Maytag.

Crap. I have a Maytag fridge, stove and dishwasher. The fridge has been
okay, except for the door shelf not sitting securely. The butter keeper
fell off and the little door on it broke. I ordered a new one. Can't get
it. I made the mistake of buying a second stove after my wife slopped
water glass top and cracked it. The door is rusting. The face of the
timer button has cracked and fallen about and no longer works. The
dishwasher does not clean well. The hose connections loosed and it leaked.

I paid good money for what I thought would be good products. I am
dissatisfied with all three of the them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> Batter for waffles differ from pancakes mostly in the amount of oil used
> in the batter. If I'm making waffles, I add some oil.

Also beat the egg whites separately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2012 1:21 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On 6/21/2012 10:21 AM, Arthur Shapiro wrote:

>>> I noticed this product in the store yesterday, and given the
>>> recommendation I
>>> picked up a box to try in my Cuisinart (non-Belgian) maker.
>>>
>>> The waffles didn't stick at all - always a bit of a worry even on a
>>> non-stick
>>> surface. I thought they were perhaps a bit blander than the from-scratch
>>> basic recipe in the little booklet that came with the Cuisinart, but
>>> reasonably acceptable, and obviously highly convenient. Overall, I can't
>>> complain. Thanks for mentioning the Krusteaz mix.
>>>
>>> Art
>>>

>> Batter for waffles differ from pancakes mostly in the amount of oil used
>> in the batter. If I'm making waffles, I add some oil. I also like to
>> lightly spray the iron with canned oil. The surface texture comes out a
>> lot different if you do. Without the spray, it comes out very finely
>> textured. You may or may not like it that way. I also flip the iron upside
>> down before adding the batter. Don't forget to flip it back! That's just a
>> weird habit I got into.

> not a weird habit. Most commercial waffle makers are made to do this.

I started doing this because I used to make yogurt and then made waffles
out of the yogurt. My batters were pretty thin because I used a high
amount of yogurt to flour. This gave me a pretty crispy waffle but
unless I flipped the iron over, it would not fill the top part of the
iron. I pretty much overdid it on the yogurt but I had a few successes.
I don't make it anymore because I'm sick of making yogurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2012 1:32 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Batter for waffles differ from pancakes mostly in the amount of oil used
>> in the batter. If I'm making waffles, I add some oil.

> Also beat the egg whites separately.

I think that's a good idea. I don't do that myself because just the idea
of dragging my beaters out might cause me to abandon making waffles. I
find it too much of a hassle. I guess I'm a lazy cook. Luckily, there's
all kinds of things that can be made without beaters.

I used to beat egg whites for tapioca pudding too but found that I could
get air into the mix by using a wire whisk while cooking. It's a useful
cooking tip!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 21, 6:49*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 21/06/2012 6:23 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Jun 21, 4:02 pm, George M. >

> >> That has happened with every low-price waffler I've ever used.

> > Yeah - but is there a decent hi-price waffler out there? *I tend to
> > doubt it. *Consumers are at a loss to know now what quality items
> > remain on the market. *Between mergers, cheapening of
> > ingredients....it makes ya wanna buy NOTHING any more.

> That's true. Let me put in a plug about Maytag.
>
> Crap. I have a Maytag fridge, stove and dishwasher. The fridge has been
> okay, except for the door shelf not sitting securely. The butter keeper
> fell off and the little door on it broke. I ordered a new one. Can't get
> it. I made the mistake of buying a second stove after my wife slopped
> water glass top and cracked it. *The door is rusting. The face of the
> timer button has cracked and fallen about and no longer works. *The
> dishwasher does not clean well. The hose connections loosed and it leaked..
>
> I paid good money for what I thought would be good products. I am
> dissatisfied with all three of the them.

Gee, I thought a 'plug' meant a favorable comment. I have Maytag
washer and dryer and so far----excellent. Almost ten years old -
maybe that was sort of a cutoff date.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The only thing that makes it a Belgian waffle is configuration, any
waffle/pancake batter recipe works.

waffle [WAHF-fuhl]
The honeycombed surface of this crisp, light bread is perfect for
holding pockets of syrup. Waffles are made by pouring a light batter
onto one side of a waffle iron, a special hinged cooking utensil with
two honeycomb patterned griddles. The second side is closed over the
batter and the waffle is cooked until browned and crisp. Waffle irons
can be electric or designed for stovetop cooking. Electric waffle
irons have heating elements in both sides, thereby cooking the two
sides of the bread at once. Irons heated on top of a stove must be
turned over once during cooking to finish the second side. There are a
number of waffle-iron shapes available including square, rectangular,
round and even heart-shape.

Belgian waffles, which are often heaped with fresh strawberries and
whipped cream, are made on special waffle makers with particularly
large, deep grids.

Most modern waffle irons have nonstick surfaces. Waffles are popular
not only for breakfast, but for desserts as well. Savory waffles can
be topped with creamed meat or vegetable mixtures.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/06/2012 8:56 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>> That's true. Let me put in a plug about Maytag.
>>
>> Crap. I have a Maytag fridge, stove and dishwasher. The fridge has been
>> okay, except for the door shelf not sitting securely. The butter keeper
>> fell off and the little door on it broke. I ordered a new one. Can't get
>> it. I made the mistake of buying a second stove after my wife slopped
>> water glass top and cracked it. The door is rusting. The face of the
>> timer button has cracked and fallen about and no longer works. The
>> dishwasher does not clean well. The hose connections loosed and it leaked..
>>
>> I paid good money for what I thought would be good products. I am
>> dissatisfied with all three of the them.

> Gee, I thought a 'plug' meant a favorable comment. I have Maytag
> washer and dryer and so far----excellent. Almost ten years old -
> maybe that was sort of a cutoff date.

I was being facetious about the plug. My first Maytag was great. It was
my wife's habit of dumping cold water into hot cast iron pans sitting on
the glass top that did it in. It was almost as much to replace the top
as it was to replace the whole unit. I was impressed enough with the
first one, and the fridge, that I got the dishwasher. The second stove
and the dishwasher were major disappointments. If I had wanted a cheap
piece of crap I would have paid a lot less.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/06/2012 7:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Also beat the egg whites separately.
>>

> I think that's a good idea. I don't do that myself because just the idea
> of dragging my beaters out might cause me to abandon making waffles. I
> find it too much of a hassle. I guess I'm a lazy cook. Luckily, there's
> all kinds of things that can be made without beaters.

That is the downside to making waffles... the extra minute that it takes
to separate the eggs, beat the whites and fold them in. It is the reason
I often opt for pancakes. I do occasionally go to the extra work. Lucky
for me, I have a wife who loves waffles and will gladly do them.

> I used to beat egg whites for tapioca pudding too but found that I could
> get air into the mix by using a wire whisk while cooking. It's a useful
> cooking tip!

I love tapioca and will gladly whip the whites to make a batch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2012 3:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 21/06/2012 7:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Also beat the egg whites separately.
>>>

>> I think that's a good idea. I don't do that myself because just the idea
>> of dragging my beaters out might cause me to abandon making waffles. I
>> find it too much of a hassle. I guess I'm a lazy cook. Luckily, there's
>> all kinds of things that can be made without beaters.

> That is the downside to making waffles... the extra minute that it takes
> to separate the eggs, beat the whites and fold them in. It is the reason
> I often opt for pancakes. I do occasionally go to the extra work. Lucky
> for me, I have a wife who loves waffles and will gladly do them.

You sound like a good husband.

The other day I mixed up some waffle batter and all of a sudden was hit
with a fit of fatigue. I unplugged the waffle iron and just made
pancakes. It was a good decision and the pancakes were pretty good.
Possibly, I reached some kind of waffle wall. Perhaps I've been making
waffles too much.

>> I used to beat egg whites for tapioca pudding too but found that I could
>> get air into the mix by using a wire whisk while cooking. It's a useful
>> cooking tip!

> I love tapioca and will gladly whip the whites to make a batch.

Using a wire whisk will make a airy, fluffy, tapioca pudding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:49:54 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 21/06/2012 6:23 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> > On Jun 21, 4:02 pm, George M. >
> >>
> >> That has happened with every low-price waffler I've ever used.

> > Yeah - but is there a decent hi-price waffler out there? I tend to
> > doubt it. Consumers are at a loss to know now what quality items
> > remain on the market. Between mergers, cheapening of
> > ingredients....it makes ya wanna buy NOTHING any more.

> That's true. Let me put in a plug about Maytag.
>

> Crap. I have a Maytag fridge, stove and dishwasher. The fridge has been
> okay, except for the door shelf not sitting securely. The butter keeper
> fell off and the little door on it broke. I ordered a new one. Can't get
> it. I made the mistake of buying a second stove after my wife slopped
> water glass top and cracked it. The door is rusting. The face of the
> timer button has cracked and fallen about and no longer works. The
> dishwasher does not clean well. The hose connections loosed and it leaked.
>
> I paid good money for what I thought would be good products. I am
> dissatisfied with all three of the them.

We have a front loading Maytag washer and dryer (stacked) which are at
least 5 years old now. There's nothing wrong with them and they work
as advertised.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:56:20 -1000, dsi1 >
wrote:

> I also flip the iron
> upside down before adding the batter. Don't forget to flip it back!
> That's just a weird habit I got into.

If you have a Target somewhere on the island, they have the home
version of those waffle irons you flip half way through cooking (when
you're staying in one of those breakfast included motels) for under
$70... I remember it as costing less, but Google says I was wrong. Of
course, Target has less expensive models too but they only had that
particular one in the store I was at.
<http://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C1IRFE_enUS448US448&sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=h9&ie=UTF-8#q=target+flip+waffle+iron&hl=en&rlz=1C1IRFE_enUS 448US448&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa= X&ei=q_rjT_fMLKbZ0QGoxMnFCQ&ved=0CJcBEK0E&bav=on.2 ,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=472a9070fa727618&biw =1599&bih=759&ix=h9>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2012 7:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:56:20 -1000, dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> I also flip the iron
>> upside down before adding the batter. Don't forget to flip it back!
>> That's just a weird habit I got into.

> If you have a Target somewhere on the island, they have the home
> version of those waffle irons you flip half way through cooking (when
> you're staying in one of those breakfast included motels) for under
> $70... I remember it as costing less, but Google says I was wrong. Of
> course, Target has less expensive models too but they only had that
> particular one in the store I was at.
> <http://www.google.com/webhp?rlz=1C1IRFE_enUS448US448&sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=h9&ie=UTF-8#q=target+flip+waffle+iron&hl=en&rlz=1C1IRFE_enUS 448US448&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa= X&ei=q_rjT_fMLKbZ0QGoxMnFCQ&ved=0CJcBEK0E&bav=on.2 ,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=472a9070fa727618&biw =1599&bih=759&ix=h9>

The great thing about my waffle iron is that it makes 4 waffles at a
time. This allows me to make a batch of waffles in half the time. I
don't think that I could ever go back to a small iron. It's not any
trouble to flip any waffle iron over on it's back.

We have a Target store on this island. They're supposed to open a Target
in my little home town of Kailua. It's replacing a Don Quijote store
which is a nutty and goofy chain famous in Japan. I'm more of a Don
Quijote guy than a Target cause I'm a nutty Japanese guy...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:59:38 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> The great thing about my waffle iron is that it makes 4 waffles at a
> time. This allows me to make a batch of waffles in half the time. I
> don't think that I could ever go back to a small iron. It's not any
> trouble to flip any waffle iron over on it's back.

I'd be worried about scorching something, but obviously you're not.
Carry on!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/22/2012 1:04 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:59:38 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> The great thing about my waffle iron is that it makes 4 waffles at a
>> time. This allows me to make a batch of waffles in half the time. I
>> don't think that I could ever go back to a small iron. It's not any
>> trouble to flip any waffle iron over on it's back.

> I'd be worried about scorching something, but obviously you're not.
> Carry on!

That's a good point. I make waffles on my glass cooktop.

Don't know what to put on my Belgian waffles Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 8 01-02-2014 07:31 PM
What to put on belgian waffles so they're not dry? meatnub General Cooking 15 05-06-2008 01:44 AM
Belgian Waffles Tim Recipes 0 29-06-2005 01:45 AM
Liege Waffle: Carmelization and Teflon-coated Waffle Maker [email protected] General Cooking 0 19-02-2005 08:19 PM
Belgian Waffles Hahabogus Diabetic 0 01-11-2004 10:38 PM