Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to put on belgian waffles so they're not dry?

I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.

But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
less dry when eating?

Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.

I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
there's sugar in that.

I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
waffles and start giving him teeth problems.

Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
Paul
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 4:05*pm, Nina > wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:46:58 -0700 (PDT), meatnub >
> wrote:
>

> >I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> >chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.

> >But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> >him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

> >Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> >less dry when eating?

> >Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> >of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.

> >I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> >there's sugar in that.

> >I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> >waffles and start giving him teeth problems.

> Make your own whipped cream = no sugar or minimal sugar.
>
> Make your own fruit syrup. *There are way fancier ways to do this, but
> you could use something like frozen strawberries that are naturally
> sweet and cook them down a little to concentrate the sweetness.
>
> I think with bananas, a little cream (unwhipped) might be really nice.
>
> Nearly anything that you buy in the store will be packed with sugar
> and/or high fructose corn syrup. *And, yeah, it's better not to teach
> your child to have a taste for intense processed sweetness.- Hide quoted text -

I will have to try the cream (unwhipped) , make my own whipped cream,
and fruit syrup.

Thanks a lot Nina!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 3:46�pm, meatnub > wrote:
> I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?
>
> Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.
>
> I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> there's sugar in that.
>
> I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> waffles and start giving him teeth problems.
>
> Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> Paul

There isn't much one can use to moisten waffles that children will
enjoy that doesn't contain sweetener in one form or another so natural
fruit is probably best; applesauce and fresh berries... fruit butters
are good too; apple, pear, peach, and of course yogurt with fruit is
probably most nutritious. The sugars naturally contained in foods
are not going to affect teeth one iota if a regimen of proper brushing
directly after meals is instilled. And waffles in of themself are not
very nutritious anyway, and especially not if you're buying those
funky frozen ones you pop in the toaster.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
>chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
>But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
>him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

He might not mind the dryness of the waffles. My little boys started
eating plain and blueberry waffles at that age and they did and still
do just eat them dry like a piece of toast.

You could top the waffles with applesauce. He might like to dip bites
of waffle into applesauce or yogurt.

You can make a syrup out of fresh or frozen berries -- just pour some
in a pot and cook on low heat until the berries pop and give out their
juice. Cook it, stirring occasionally, until it as thick as you
like. Sweeten or not to taste. You can cook peaches down like this,
too.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 3:46�pm, meatnub > wrote:
> I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?
>
> Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.
>
> I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> there's sugar in that.
>
> I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> waffles and start giving him teeth problems.
>
> Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> Paul

He won't care if they're dry. In fact, it's probably better that you
don't put any type of syrup on them because then he'll develop a taste
for sweets and it'll be hard to get him to eat other things that are
more nutritious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

meatnub wrote:

> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles
> to make them less dry when eating?

Mustard. Catsup.
Worcestershire sauce. Nuoc mam. Soy sauce.
Vegemite. Marmite.
Buttermilk. Yogurt cheese. A soft brie or goat cheese.
Nutella or home-made nut butter.
Balsamic vinegar. Olive oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"meatnub" > wrote in message
>I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?
>
> Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.
>
> I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> there's sugar in that.
>
> I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> waffles and start giving him teeth problems.
>
> Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> Paul

Increase the eggs and/or fat in the recipe & do not overcook.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> meatnub wrote:
> >
> > Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles
> > to make them less dry when eating?

> Mustard. Catsup.
> Worcestershire sauce. Nuoc mam. Soy sauce.
> Vegemite. Marmite.
> Buttermilk. Yogurt cheese. A soft brie or goat cheese.
> Nutella or home-made nut butter.
> Balsamic vinegar. Olive oil.

Oops, forgot melted 99% chocolate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

meatnub wrote:
> I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?

--Pureed strawberries, blueberries, apricots or peaches? Trader Joe
has yummy peach or apricot "sauce" in a jar.

--Yogurt

--Chop up the waffle and put it in a bowl with milk
or half & half.

Have you tried pancakes? They are a lot less dry than waffles.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"meatnub" > wrote in message
>I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
>
> But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.
>
> Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> less dry when eating?

Does he like them a little dry/crunchy? My kids did. Sometimes we (as
parents) know how we like our food so we think our kids will only eat it the
same way. Really, there is no reason that he can't eat waffles w/o anything
on them.

> Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.

No sugar in real PB, however he is too young for PB anyway. (google peanut
allergy and babies if you need more info)

> I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> there's sugar in that.

Cooked rice is good in waffles as is oatmeal and barley. You can also use
other fruits, blueberries (but they will make a mess) strawberries (another
food you should make sure that it is safe for a 1 yr old), pears and apples,
pear and apple sauce can be used in place of syrup (make sure that it has no
sugar, which it sounds like your doing already). Yogurt is good too.
Do you make enough to freeze? My kids started eating frozen waffles when
they were teething and they still love them (ages 5 and 9)
btw, you may know this already, don't use honey ... he is too young.

> I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> waffles and start giving him teeth problems.
>
> Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" wrote:
> "meatnub" wrote:
>
> >I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> > chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.

> > But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> > him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

> > Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
> > less dry when eating?

> > Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
> > of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.

> > I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
> > there's sugar in that.

> > I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
> > waffles and start giving him teeth problems.

> > Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
> > Paul

> Increase the eggs and/or fat in the recipe & do not overcook.

Even better is to top each waffle with a soft poached egg... poke the
egg so the waffle soaks in all that warm runny egg yolk... the adult
version adds real maple syrup, a fried ham steak, and bottomless
cawfee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Dimitri" wrote:
>> "meatnub" wrote:
>>
>> >I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
>> > chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.

>> > But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
>> > him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

>> > Is there anything ... healthy.. to put on the waffles to make them
>> > less dry when eating?

>> > Whip cream, but there's sugar in that. Peanut butter.. more sugar, and
>> > of the corn kind too, unless I find a natural peanut butter.

>> > I don't think I have a lot of options. Fruit syrup I guess, but surely
>> > there's sugar in that.

>> > I just hate to constantly give my boy sugar (in whatever form) on his
>> > waffles and start giving him teeth problems.

>> > Appreciate your suggestions/advice as always,
>> > Paul

>> Increase the eggs and/or fat in the recipe & do not overcook.

> Even better is to top each waffle with a soft poached egg... poke the
> egg so the waffle soaks in all that warm runny egg yolk... the adult
> version adds real maple syrup, a fried ham steak, and bottomless
> cawfee.

For some reason I never could get used to the taste of maple syrup on the
egg. Although I used to order the proverbial pancake sandwich I always ate
the egg first.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 12:46:58 -0700 (PDT), meatnub >
> wrote:
>
> >I have a 1 year old who loves his waffles. I have been putting small
> >chunks of banana on plain belgian waffles. He likes them.
> >
> >But they are dry. Adding butter helps a little. I don't want to give
> >him syrup everyday.. to sweet and not the greatest for his teeth.

The waffles shouldn't be dry. Decrease the flour a bit or add a little
melted butter to the batter before cooking.

Never had syrup on a single waffle I ever ate in Belgium, so it's not
essential.

Any fruit puree, stewed fruit pieces, fresh berries in season and of
course the occasional dollop of whipped cream (the real stuff!) or
custard sauce. It's easy enough to control the sugar levels for the kid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 4, 7:24�pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> >> Increase the eggs and/or fat in the recipe & do not overcook.

> > Even better is to top each waffle with a soft poached egg... poke the
> > egg so the waffle soaks in all that warm runny egg yolk... the adult
> > version adds real maple syrup, a fried ham steak, and bottomless
> > cawfee.

> For some reason I never could get used to the taste of maple syrup on the
> egg. �Although I used to order the proverbial pancake sandwich I always ate
> the egg first.

Well, I was attempting to be PC... I very rarely use maple syrup...
actually I prefere my waffles 'n eggs drowning in butter. Aren't all
those holes butter pockets?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Jun 4, 7:24�pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> For some reason I never could get used to the taste of maple syrup on the
> egg. �Although I used to order the proverbial pancake sandwich I always
> ate
> the egg first.

>Well, I was attempting to be PC... I very rarely use maple syrup...
>actually I prefere my waffles 'n eggs drowning in butter. Aren't all
>those holes butter pockets?

Butter without quation. Major yum, however being part "Russian" we always
had sour cream on the table when the parents had blini or a variation
thereof, I got used to having some butter and then some sour cream on the
pancakes aand/or waffles/and/or crepes. Then something, anything sweet. To
this day I still love the flavor of butter & sour cream.

Don't know what to put on my Belgian waffles Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 8 01-02-2014 08:31 PM
Uncle Gordo's Belgian Waffles Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 14-04-2006 04:07 AM
Belgian Waffles Tim Recipes 0 29-06-2005 01:45 AM
Belgian waffles question [email protected] General Cooking 9 12-02-2005 06:31 PM
Belgian Waffles Hahabogus Diabetic 0 01-11-2004 11:38 PM