Old 29-05-2012, 02:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Buttermilk Biscuits, fool proof

These are the biscuits Squeaks usually makes for me when I visit.
It's her grandmother's recipe and it's wonderful.
They are light, fluffy, moist and delicious.

Here are the photos if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...very-time.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/8xva5lb

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Buttermilk Biscuits

breads

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 1/3 tablespoons butter
buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450 F. Combine first four ingredients. Work chilled
butter
into dough with pastry blender. Add buttermilk to make a soft dough.
Put
on floured work surface and knead slightly. Pat out to about 1/2" and
cut
rounds. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Norma Watson

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com

Old 29-05-2012, 05:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-29, Me-an Hugh wrote:

And if you don't HAVE a 'pastry blender'??

Get one. ....or use two butter knives or yer fingers.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Old 29-05-2012, 06:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 6:25*pm, wrote:
These are the biscuits Squeaks usually makes for me when I visit.
It's her grandmother's recipe and it's wonderful.
They are light, fluffy, moist and delicious.

Koko, your photos are perfect and the biscuits being so high-risen
reminded me of a lesson learned several years ago from someone on TV,
which I'd always practiced though didn't know the why of. Along with
any fresh products good recipe, do not twist the cutter around but for
a teensy bit to loosen as you lift it off each cut; doing that causes
the edge of a biscuit to smear and somewhat seal, preventing the
highest rise possibility.

Now tell us exactly how a good fresh sausage gravy is made? That's
something I do mess up often, although my bik-sits are always very
good and fluffy.
....Picky

Old 29-05-2012, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2012 18:25:12 -0700, wrote:

These are the biscuits Squeaks usually makes for me when I visit.
It's her grandmother's recipe and it's wonderful.
They are light, fluffy, moist and delicious.

Here are the photos if interested.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...very-time.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/8xva5lb

Wow. these look great!

Boron

Old 29-05-2012, 03:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

If you don't have a pastry blender, you can just arm yourself
with two plain old table-setting knives (that won't cut much of anything).

I did that a couple of times. Then I decided no more cutting-in until
I got a food processor. Got a Cuisinart in 1984 or so and haven't
looked back once.

Old 29-05-2012, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 9:15*am, George M. Middius wrote:

Polly Esther wrote:

If you don't have a pastry blender, you can just arm yourself
with two plain old table-setting knives (that won't cut much of anything).

I did that a couple of times. Then I decided no more cutting-in until
I got a food processor. Got a Cuisinart in 1984 or so and haven't
looked back once.

Yep, the food processor will that have fat coated with flour the size
of peas with just a few pulses. Food processors are niiiiiiiiiice.

Old 29-05-2012, 03:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 28, 9:50*pm, Me-an Hugh wrote:
On Mon, 28 May 2012 18:25:12 -0700, wrote:
These are the biscuits Squeaks usually makes for me when I visit.
Work chilled butter into dough with pastry blender.

And if you don't HAVE a 'pastry blender'??

You can use two table knives, criss-crossing them to crumble the
chilled butter, or you can use your fingers. How old are you?

N.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:51:35 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
wrote:

On May 28, 6:25*pm, wrote:
These are the biscuits Squeaks usually makes for me when I visit.
It's her grandmother's recipe and it's wonderful.
They are light, fluffy, moist and delicious.

Koko, your photos are perfect and the biscuits being so high-risen
reminded me of a lesson learned several years ago from someone on TV,
which I'd always practiced though didn't know the why of. Along with
any fresh products good recipe, do not twist the cutter around but for
a teensy bit to loosen as you lift it off each cut; doing that causes
the edge of a biscuit to smear and somewhat seal, preventing the
highest rise possibility.

I was taught the same thing, also, use a biscuits cutter not the rim
of a glass as it pinches the sides together hindering the rise.

Now tell us exactly how a good fresh sausage gravy is made? That's
something I do mess up often, although my bik-sits are always very
good and fluffy.
...Picky

All I do is cook bulk sausage in a skillet over med-high heat. this
time I used half a pound. If the sausage doesn't render off at least 2
tablespoons of fat add some neutral oil or butter.
Leaving the sausage and fat 2T of fat in the skillet sprinkle in 2
tablespoons of flour. Cook-stirring for a few minutes to cook off the
raw flour taste. Do not cook the flour and fat past the golden blond
stage.
Crank up the heat a little and using a whisk, whisk, whisk, whisk in 2
1/2 cups milk then whisk a llittle more being sure to whisk up all the
tasty goodies off the bottom of the pan.
Reduce the heat to a simmer, keeping a close eye on it, simmer and
stir until the gravy has thickened.
Taste and add salt and freshly ground black pepper.

And that's that.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com