Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default fool proof chicken wings

Group,
I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings (not separate
them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the "arm" against
the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking something like
zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing and help keep
the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or apple sawdust
to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a pretty good plan
for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours if it does not
get that hot?

thanks in advance!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

"skeeter" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Group,
> I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings (not separate
> them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the "arm" against
> the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking something like
> zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing and help keep
> the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or apple sawdust
> to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a pretty good plan
> for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours if it does not
> get that hot?
>
> thanks in advance!

Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that matter, but my recipe
for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade them in a mixture
of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry them.....it makes
a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!

To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings even though I have
tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery and I like mine
crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but deep frying gives
the best results in my opinion.

Your mileage may vary.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:

> "skeeter" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Group,
> > I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings
> > (not separate
> > them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the
> > "arm" against
> > the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking
> > something like
> > zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing
> > and help keep
> > the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or
> > apple sawdust
> > to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a
> > pretty good plan
> > for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours
> > if it does not
> > get that hot?
> >
> > thanks in advance!

> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
> matter, but my recipe
> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
> them in a mixture
> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
> them.....it makes
> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>
> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
> even though I have
> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
> and I like mine
> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
> deep frying gives
> the best results in my opinion.

Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
Hot
Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
little
Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
fried.
(I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
dozen or so wings.)

--
Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 02:45:16 GMT, wrote:

>On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:
>
>> "skeeter" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Group,
>> > I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings
>> > (not separate
>> > them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the
>> > "arm" against
>> > the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking
>> > something like
>> > zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing
>> > and help keep
>> > the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or
>> > apple sawdust
>> > to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a
>> > pretty good plan
>> > for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours
>> > if it does not
>> > get that hot?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance!

>> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
>> matter, but my recipe
>> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
>> them in a mixture
>> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
>> them.....it makes
>> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>>
>> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
>> even though I have
>> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
>> and I like mine
>> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
>> deep frying gives
>> the best results in my opinion.

>Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
>ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
>fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
>Hot
>Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
>looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
>a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
>little
>Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
>fried.
>(I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
>dozen or so wings.)

It's not BBQ but we do ours in the oven when the Weather is bad.
Kamado doesn't give a rip about the Weather, but the Operator does . .
.. .

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I remove the tips and marinate the wings in apple juice for a day. . .
or use a vacuum for a few hours. Occasionally, I dump in a teaspoon or
two of my dry rub mix. The wings then get smoked with pecan or apple
wood until they are at 175f. Even with the damper open, the smoker
leaves them a bit grayish and with rubbery skin, so I then flame them
briefly on my infrared grill- about 45 seconds per side. This gives the
skin a pretty color and a bit of crunch. They're served with either
Rudy's or KC Masterpiece on the side.

--
---Nonnymus---
Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
adm adm is offline

> wrote in message
. ..

> On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:
>
>> "skeeter" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Group,
>> > I want to do the following: Take whole chicken wings
>> > (not separate
>> > them - let the eater do that) and fold them locking the
>> > "arm" against
>> > the body, marinate them and smoke them. I'm thinking
>> > something like
>> > zesty Italian dressing should give them some nice zing
>> > and help keep
>> > the moisture in, and just use ROC (maybe a little oak or
>> > apple sawdust
>> > to help keep the heat going). Does that sound like a
>> > pretty good plan
>> > for doing them fool proof? How about time about 2 hours
>> > if it does not
>> > get that hot?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance!

>> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
>> matter, but my recipe
>> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
>> them in a mixture
>> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
>> them.....it makes
>> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>>
>> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
>> even though I have
>> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
>> and I like mine
>> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
>> deep frying gives
>> the best results in my opinion.

> Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
> ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
> fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
> Hot
> Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
> looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
> a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
> little
> Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
> fried.
> (I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
> dozen or so wings.)
>
> --
> Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)

I forgot to mention that once they're cooked, I toss'em in more hot sauce
and butter.

I'm going to give your method a go as marinated wings just destroy the oil
for any further use.

Mind you, I like the crispy fried hot sauce flavour.

I'm also with you on not frying just a few - too much mess and waste oil. I
tend to do them when we have a lot of people over and do several pounds at a
time.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

adm wrote:
> > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 20-Apr-2007, "adm" > wrote:
>>
>>> "skeeter" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...

>>> Well.....it ain't barbecue - or even grilling for that
>>> matter, but my recipe
>>> for foolproof (buffalo style) chicken wings is to marinade
>>> them in a mixture
>>> of Blue Dragon hot sauce and melted butter, then deep fry
>>> them.....it makes
>>> a mess of the oil, but it makes for great wings!
>>>
>>> To be honest, I haven't had much luck with smoking wings
>>> even though I have
>>> tried many times - the skin tends to come out too rubbery
>>> and I like mine
>>> crispy. Grilling at higher temperatures works better, but
>>> deep frying gives
>>> the best results in my opinion.

>> Deep fry is the preferred method at my house as well. How-
>> ever, I fry wings naked rather then marinated. While they're
>> fresh from the fryer, I toss them in a mixture of Crystal
>> Hot
>> Sauce and butter, then salt them liberally. When nobody is
>> looking I like to bolster the Crystal sauce with something
>> a little hotter. Lately, I've been grilling wings on my
>> little
>> Farberware electric grill, then treat them the same as
>> fried.
>> (I'm too lazy to mess with a gallon of oil for only a half
>> dozen or so wings.)
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Breaking in a new upright freezer)

> I forgot to mention that once they're cooked, I toss'em in more hot sauce
> and butter.
>
> I'm going to give your method a go as marinated wings just destroy the oil
> for any further use.
>
> Mind you, I like the crispy fried hot sauce flavour.
>
> I'm also with you on not frying just a few - too much mess and waste oil. I
> tend to do them when we have a lot of people over and do several pounds at a
> time.

The wings turned out quite well just the usual dark skin from the smoke,
and slightly pink from the smoke. The smoke flavor was not too harsh
with slight flavor from me adding Box Elder wood (and sawdust). The
smoker is working quite well with using good (ROC) hardwood charcoal.

Next week I think might be time to use the gas for steaks and/or
burgers. A bit boring compared to smoking, but given my personal
schedule it might be a bit easier to manage.