Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What's for lunch today?

Easy to make. Easy to eat.
At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot small dill pickles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:36:46 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> Easy to make. Easy to eat.
> At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot small dill pickles.

I'll probably have a crab salad for lunch. I think we're going to
have a late lunch at a long time establishment that will be changing
ownership in January and closing for a year of updating... you know
what that means - fancier inside, higher prices. It has never been
hurting for customers, so I hope the new owners won't forget the
customer base with all their updating and changes. People like it
just the way it is with an old fashioned menu and shabby chic
interior. This is a place where you can buy a $4 martini, waiters
wear tuxedos and most of the double digit prices are still in the
teens. The good part is, I know it will be updated well and brought
kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
>pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
>pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
>done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare long-grain
>brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in the
>beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
>second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter complete
>the meal.

"small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/10/2013 1:37 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
>> Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
>> pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
>> pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
>> done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare long-grain
>> brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in the
>> beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
>> second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter complete
>> the meal.

> "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
> Janet US

Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red
beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come
with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille
sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss
it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:41:58 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/10/2013 1:37 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
> >
> >> Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
> >> pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
> >> pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
> >> done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare long-grain
> >> brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in the
> >> beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
> >> second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter complete
> >> the meal.

> > "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
> > Janet US
> >

> Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red
> beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come
> with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille
> sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss
> it.

Same here the tasso, but maybe tasso is the key because I'm not in
love with red bean and rice. Red beans around here don't come with
seasoning packets, so there's nothing to throw away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-10 11:36 AM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> Easy to make. Easy to eat. At the local Polish deli, I purchased a
> smoked Hot Hungarian style sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm
> also going to try their Hot Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked.
> European type soft buns, and hot small dill pickles.

There is a seasonal smoked sausage kiosk at the local mall and they have
all sorts of samples out. Last week I tried a sample of on of their hot
Hungarian sausages. Holy cow!!! I like hot stuff. I like hot
pepperettes. That hot sausage was ridiculous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:36:46 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> > wrote:
>
>> Easy to make. Easy to eat.
>> At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style
>> sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot
>> Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot
>> small dill pickles.

> I'll probably have a crab salad for lunch. I think we're going to
> have a late lunch at a long time establishment that will be changing
> ownership in January and closing for a year of updating... you know
> what that means - fancier inside, higher prices. It has never been
> hurting for customers, so I hope the new owners won't forget the
> customer base with all their updating and changes. People like it
> just the way it is with an old fashioned menu and shabby chic
> interior. This is a place where you can buy a $4 martini, waiters
> wear tuxedos and most of the double digit prices are still in the
> teens. The good part is, I know it will be updated well and brought
> kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I hate it when they do things like that. Used to be a good Greek place that
we went to. Owner had several places and he sold this one to some of his
employees who were half Japanese. They kept his menu for a while but then
tried to change things up and make it fancier and of course more expensive.
Although the breakfast and lunch things were still reasonable, it was the
dinner menu that they changed the most. The food wasn't bad. I'm not
saying that at all! It was just very fancy and pretty expensive.

This place used to be a Rax restaurant (sandwich place), just to give you an
indication of the size of the place and the type of building it was in.
Although they did make some nice changes to the interior, the overall look
was not the fancy place they were going for.

We did try eating there several times after they made the changes. We did
like the owners. Then one day the place closed. Not entirely sure why but
I was told they couldn't pay the bills. No wonder because I think most of
their customer base left.

The owner then took it back but changed it to a breakfast place only. They
were open till 2:00 p.m. but only sold breakfast foods. Tried it once and
liked it but then the next time, none of us liked it because everything was
very greasy.

Then the place burned down in a fire! But they are currently rebuilding and
it will now be open all day for breakfast and burgers. Will be interesting
to see how that goes. We need some new restaurants here that are not chain
places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>
>>Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
>>pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
>>pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
>>done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare long-grain
>>brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in the
>>beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
>>second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter complete
>>the meal.

> "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
> Janet US

I would say so but then they also make a Cajun style kidney bean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:41:58 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> > "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
>> > Janet US
>> >

>> Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red
>> beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come
>> with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille
>> sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss
>> it.
>>

> Same here the tasso, but maybe tasso is the key because I'm not in
> love with red bean and rice. Red beans around here don't come with
> seasoning packets, so there's nothing to throw away.

I love red beans and I love rice. I even like them together. It's just the
seasonings for red beans and rice that I don't like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 12/10/2013 1:37 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>>
>>> Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
>>> pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
>>> pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
>>> done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare long-grain
>>> brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in the
>>> beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
>>> second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter complete
>>> the meal.

>> "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
>> Janet US
>>

>Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red
>beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come
>with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille
>sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss
>it.
>
>Jill

I received a gift package for Christmas last year that contained a
hunk of tasso. It was fine but I don't think I would go out of my way
to get some more for a dish. Andouille I can find at Cash and Carry.
I can get small red dried beans. I'll put this on the 'after
Christmas' to make list.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:59:07 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 10-Dec-2013, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 17:07:14 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:
>>
>> >Mine will be red beans and rice. I sauteed onion, celery and bell
>> >pepper, added a half-pound of diced tasso and a pound (dry weight)
>> >pre-soaked "small red beans", not kidney beans. When the beans were
>> >done they were put in fridge overnight; today, I'll prepare
>> >long-grain
>> >brown rice to serve with the red beans. There is enough tasso in
>> >the
>> >beans I don't think I'll add andouille; but, do have it on hand if
>> >second thoughts require. Side salad and a baguette w/butter
>> >complete
>> >the meal.

>> "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?
>> Janet US

>It is what I am used to from many visits to New Orleans. Many recipes
>don't differentiate which red bean and many folks use red kidney beans.
>This is what I'm used to and prefer.

Although I love kidney beans, I can see where their flavor might
dominate in this dish. No problem. I can get small red beans in the
bulk food section.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 22:28:12 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

snip
>Tasso (very peppery, smoked pork shoulder) is just one of many meats
>used to make red beans and rice in the region where it's most famous.
>Some make it with "pickle meat" (pickled pork butt), others use sausage,
>still others make it without meat and serve andouille sausage with it.
>I've had it all those ways, and more, in New Orleans eateries.

I made pickled pork butt once per Alton Brown's directions . It
didn't do much for me. When I make red beans and rice again, it will
be with andouille.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:22:18 AM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:41:58 -0500, jmcquown >
>
> wrote:

> >> "small red beans" -- is that the traditional bean for this dish?

> >> Janet US

> >Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red

> >beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come

> >with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille

> >sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss

> >it.

> >Jill

> I received a gift package for Christmas last year that contained a
>
> hunk of tasso. It was fine but I don't think I would go out of my way
>
> to get some more for a dish. Andouille I can find at Cash and Carry.

You still have a Cash and Carry in your area? Mine was called Kash 'n' Karry but they were swallowed up by another big market chain. I wonder if yours was a separate outfit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:23:12 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:36:46 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love

> > > wrote:

> >> Easy to make. Easy to eat.

> >> At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style

> >> sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot

> >> Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot

> >> small dill pickles.

> > I'll probably have a crab salad for lunch. I think we're going to

> > have a late lunch at a long time establishment that will be changing

> > ownership in January and closing for a year of updating... you know

> > what that means - fancier inside, higher prices. It has never been

> > hurting for customers, so I hope the new owners won't forget the

> > customer base with all their updating and changes. People like it

> > just the way it is with an old fashioned menu and shabby chic

> > interior. This is a place where you can buy a $4 martini, waiters

> > wear tuxedos and most of the double digit prices are still in the

> > teens. The good part is, I know it will be updated well and brought

> > kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

> I hate it when they do things like that. Used to be a good Greek place that
>
> we went to. Owner had several places and he sold this one to some of his
>
> employees who were half Japanese. They kept his menu for a while but then
>
> tried to change things up and make it fancier and of course more expensive.
>
> Although the breakfast and lunch things were still reasonable, it was the
>
> dinner menu that they changed the most. The food wasn't bad. I'm not
>
> saying that at all! It was just very fancy and pretty expensive.
>

> This place used to be a Rax restaurant (sandwich place), just to give you an
>
> indication of the size of the place and the type of building it was in.
>
> Although they did make some nice changes to the interior, the overall look
>
> was not the fancy place they were going for.
>

> We did try eating there several times after they made the changes. We did
>
> like the owners. Then one day the place closed. Not entirely sure why but
>
> I was told they couldn't pay the bills. No wonder because I think most of
>
> their customer base left.
>

> The owner then took it back but changed it to a breakfast place only. They
>
> were open till 2:00 p.m. but only sold breakfast foods. Tried it once and
>
> liked it but then the next time, none of us liked it because everything was
>
> very greasy.
>

> Then the place burned down in a fire!

Hmmmm, Jewish lightning. Always happens around 2 am. Ye Olde Grease Fire....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:22:18 AM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:41:58 -0500, jmcquown >
>>
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red

>> >beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come

>> >with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille

>> >sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss

>> >it.

>> >Jill

>> I received a gift package for Christmas last year that contained a
>>
>> hunk of tasso. It was fine but I don't think I would go out of my way
>>
>> to get some more for a dish. Andouille I can find at Cash and Carry.
>>

> You still have a Cash and Carry in your area? Mine was called Kash 'n'
> Karry but they were swallowed up by another big market chain. I wonder
> if yours was a separate outfit.

Mine is called Smart and Final/Cash and Carry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:58:38 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 10:22:18 AM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 13:41:58 -0500, jmcquown >
>>
>> wrote:

>> >Yes, it is. Although kidney beans do work if you can't find small red

>> >beans. I can find packages of dried small red beans. They usually come

>> >with a salty seasoning packet, which I throw away. I can find andouille

>> >sausage but I can't find tasso. I've never tasted tasso so I don't miss

>> >it.

>> >Jill

>> I received a gift package for Christmas last year that contained a
>>
>> hunk of tasso. It was fine but I don't think I would go out of my way
>>
>> to get some more for a dish. Andouille I can find at Cash and Carry.
>>

>You still have a Cash and Carry in your area? Mine was called Kash 'n' Karry but they were swallowed up by another big market chain. I wonder if yours was a separate outfit.

Yes, https://www.smartfoodservice.com/locations/
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 08:36:46 -0800 (PST), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>Easy to make. Easy to eat.
>At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot small dill pickles.

I'm off to St Helens today, which has a fishing port... so today it'll
be fish, scallops and chips, most likely.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Moose in Love View Post
Easy to make. Easy to eat.
At the local Polish deli, I purchased a smoked Hot Hungarian style sausage (aka Czabaj) which I like. I'm also going to try their Hot Romanian Farmer's sausage; smoked. European type soft buns, and hot small dill pickles.
You are trying to make fat boys hungry here..I know. Did they have kraut to go with? Wished we had Delis like that around here. They could make a fortune.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:00:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:

> I'm off to St Helens today, which has a fishing port... so today it'll
> be fish, scallops and chips, most likely.

It's been ages since I've seen an old fashioned Fisherman's platter
anywhere, are they still around or is it passe now?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/11/2013 6:12 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:00:05 +1100, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> I'm off to St Helens today, which has a fishing port... so today it'll
>> be fish, scallops and chips, most likely.

> It's been ages since I've seen an old fashioned Fisherman's platter
> anywhere, are they still around or is it passe now?

Hint - Seattle.