Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

Default Spray bottle that doesn't retain water in a tube?

Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.

Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
bottle away.

Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:

> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> bottle away.

LOL! You can NOT be serious.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-10, Gary > wrote:

> LOL! You can NOT be serious.

There's all kinds in this group.

I was gonna suggest a mouthful of water and spit-spraying it all
over the rice. No bottle, no problem.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Pitbull: "a gun you can pet" --Bill Burr
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-10 14:49:22 +0000, Gary said:

> bob wrote:
>>
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
>> bottle away.

> LOL! You can NOT be serious.

Dirty dirty dirty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-05-10, Gary > wrote:
>
> > LOL! You can NOT be serious.

> There's all kinds in this group.
>
> I was gonna suggest a mouthful of water and spit-spraying it all
> over the rice. No bottle, no problem.
>
> nb

LOL! That would work for me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/05/2012 10:49 AM, Gary wrote:
> bob wrote:
>>
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
>> bottle away.

> LOL! You can NOT be serious.

LOL.... my reaction when I read it was to think "Are you serious?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump
> a few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
> spray bottle away.
>
> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
> to spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

Use an empty spice bottle or salt shaker.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "bob" >
wrote:

> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> bottle away.
>
> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

Why not use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet? It works.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "bob" >
> wrote:
>
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed
>> (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
>> spray
>> bottle away.
>>
>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
>> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

> Why not use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet? It works.

Maybe he doesn't have one. I've lived in plenty of places where there
wasn't one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012 07:22:59 -0700, bob wrote:
>
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
>> bottle away.
>>
>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
>> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

> Just run some water over your hand and flick water onto the rice. If
> you're worried about uneven distribution, think of all the rice under
> that top layer that is not getting any wetter with what you're already
> doing.

I do that, but cover it with lid if you want more even coverage. I'm
looking for an old ceramic butter tray to steam my hot dog.

Greg

> Why do feel the need to empty the tube after each use? Th water is
> already in contact with the bottle in tube whether the tube is empty
> or not. This sounds like a case of anal retentiveness.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bob" > wrote in message
> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump
> a few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
> spray bottle away.
>
> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
> to spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

something like this?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/23248553...er-wet-felting

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 12:03*pm, Gary > wrote:
notbob wrote:

> > I was gonna suggest a mouthful of water and spit-spraying it all
> > over the rice. *No bottle, no problem.

> LOL! *That would work for me! *

I do something similar when making an open cream cheese and olive
sandwich on half a french roll. I wouldn't prepare it the same way
for other people as I do for myself when I'm alone. I spread the
cheese on the half roll while chewing two or three olives in my mouth
to "blend" them to just the right consistency, then spit them on the
roll and gently spread them out evenly with one finger so that olives
will happen on every bite. If people knew I did this they would never
want to eat anything I make - which might be a good thing if things
get worse financially - less people asking me for food.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> "bob" wrote:
>
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
>> bottle away.
>>
>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
>> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

>Why not use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet? It works.

Sounds to me like he'd just need to rinse the rice in a sieve with
plain tap water, let it drain till wet to his liking and it's done. Of
course I'd never need to... the few times I have enough left over rice
worth futzing with it becomes fly lice... but most times there isn't
enough worth dirtying a pan so it becomes bird food. Rice is still
pretty low cost and cooks up fast, if I needed rice I'd cook a cup
fresh. The only times I've ever reheated rice in the nuker it was
rice n' beans or some sort of pilaf, needs no wetting because it was
cooked with oil.... typically been sitting in a covered glass caserole
in the fridge with a few left over pork chops for no more than two
days. I can't remember the last time I cooked plain white rice, only
time I'd have any is from the Chinese take out, and 99 times out of a
100 it becomes bird food. I feed the birds every day, several times a
day... first thing this morning they heard me open the door, here they
come:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2zntvmu.jpg
These guys would eat rice too:
http://i50.tinypic.com/2l8ypvr.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2012 19:39:37 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"bob" > wrote in message
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump
>> a few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
>> spray bottle away.
>>
>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
>> to spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

>something like this?
>
>http://www.etsy.com/listing/23248553...er-wet-felting

Wow, a techy douche.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:23:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >, "bob" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>>
>>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed
>>> (pump a
>>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
>>> spray
>>> bottle away.
>>>
>>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
>>> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

>> Why not use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet? It works.

>Maybe he doesn't have one. I've lived in plenty of places where there
>wasn't one.

Don't need one... if rice is going to be heated in a nuker just add a
couple tsps water and cover... the water will heat, vaporize, and
moisten every grain evenly I heat lots o foods in the nuker, I've
never seen frozen veggies where the directions on the package say to
spritz.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 10:22*am, "bob" > wrote:
> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> bottle away.
>
> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

Reverse osmosis. Cover the rice in an airtight container and
refrigerate while it is still warm. When ready to recycle tap on the
lid three times with your right hand while gently tilting the
container with your left hand. No more no less. Exterminate the
christian government.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 10-May-2012, "bob" > wrote:
>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the
>> spray
>> bottle away.
>>
>> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
>> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
>> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable
>> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

> I don't quite understand the need; but, a laundry sprinkler would do what
> you want at very low cost.
> http://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Sprink.../dp/B0019IJSFA
>
> My solution to the left-over rice problem is to add a small amount of water
> (depending on how much rice) to the conatiner, loosely cover and microwave.
> The steam from the water heats and rehydrates the rice. When done, pour
> off any excess water, most of which will have collected in bottom of the
> container.

I actually remember those sprinklers mom used.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:23:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> >> Why not use the sprayer on the kitchen faucet? It works.

> >Maybe he doesn't have one. I've lived in plenty of places where there
> >wasn't one.

> Don't need one... if rice is going to be heated in a nuker just add a
> couple tsps water and cover... the water will heat, vaporize, and
> moisten every grain evenly I heat lots o foods in the nuker, I've
> never seen frozen veggies where the directions on the package say to
> spritz.

That's the way I do it, too, Sheldon. Yust a little water added to the
container.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 10:22*am, "bob" > wrote:
> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> bottle away.

Come ON. In case you're not just pulling legs, just remove the spray
top, spray it into the sink or wherever you like, and let it dry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:23:35 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>> >Maybe he doesn't have one. I've lived in plenty of places where there
>> >wasn't one.

>> Don't need one... if rice is going to be heated in a nuker just add a
>> couple tsps water and cover... the water will heat, vaporize, and
>> moisten every grain evenly I heat lots o foods in the nuker, I've
>> never seen frozen veggies where the directions on the package say to
>> spritz.

>That's the way I do it, too, Sheldon. Yust a little water added to the
>container.

And most times for reheating no water is needed, it's only to heat,
not cook. I probably wouldn't add water to heat cooked rice... just
remember to remove that wire handle from the Chinese take out
container. I reheated my rice and beans for dinner last night, 10
minutes on medium, no water added, perfect! TY for the BDW.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2012 11:17:29 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On May 10, 10:22*am, "bob" > wrote:
>> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
>> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>>
>> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
>> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
>> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
>> bottle away.

>Come ON. In case you're not just pulling legs, just remove the spray
>top, spray it into the sink or wherever you like, and let it dry.

I didn't know you were in the navy, that's how the training film shows
how to scrub yer weewee. hehe
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >That's the way I do it, too, Sheldon. Yust a little water added to the
> >container.

> And most times for reheating no water is needed, it's only to heat,
> not cook. I probably wouldn't add water to heat cooked rice... just
> remember to remove that wire handle from the Chinese take out
> container. I reheated my rice and beans for dinner last night, 10
> minutes on medium, no water added, perfect!

TY for the BDW.

YW. '-) (BTW, BD I 1W) <seg>
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 11:55*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On May 10, 12:03*pm, Gary > wrote:
>
> notbob wrote:
> > > I was gonna suggest a mouthful of water and spit-spraying it all
> > > over the rice. *No bottle, no problem.

> > LOL! *That would work for me! *

> * * *I do something similar when making an open cream cheese and olive
> sandwich on half a french roll. *I wouldn't prepare it the same way
> for other people as I do for myself when I'm alone. *I spread the
> cheese on the half roll while chewing two or three olives in my mouth
> to "blend" them to just the right consistency, then spit them on the
> roll and gently spread them out evenly with one finger so that olives
> will happen on every bite. *If people knew I did this they would never
> want to eat anything I make - which might be a good thing if things
> get worse financially - less people asking me for food.
>
> TJ

Really, you and what's-her-name-the-actress who prechews food for her
toddler (ah, Alicia Silverstone is the name). Ick and double ick.
Why not just slice the olives? That's what I do when I want them in a
sandwich.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 9:22*am, "bob" > wrote:
> Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.
>
> Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> bottle away.
>
> Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
> spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

Just pull the straw/tube out, and blow it out in the sink - all the
water is gone. Voila!

You could also buy a cork sprinkler top for any soda bottle like we
used to use to sprinkle clothes with that needed ironing - you can
still find those cork sprinkler tops at hardware stores. Then you
could just shake the water out.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 21, 1:12*pm, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On May 10, 9:22*am, "bob" > wrote:
>
> > Once in a while I need to reheat left-over rice and to keep them moist I
> > like to spray a mist of water on the rice before microwaving.

> > Problem with ordinary water spray bottle is they needed to be primed (pump a
> > few times) to suck the water up a tube. Then when I finished using it, I
> > have to pump a few more times to get rid of the water so I can put the spray
> > bottle away.

> > Is there a spray bottle that does not use a pump and a tube, but just a
> > bottle and a cap that acts as the nozzle and the user just flip it upside
> > down and squeeze to spray? I would still like the nozzle to be adjustable to
> > spray a fine mist. This would make it easy to use once and put away.

> Just pull the straw/tube out, and blow it out in the sink - all the
> water is gone. *Voila!
>
> You could also buy a cork sprinkler top for any soda bottle like we
> used to use to sprinkle clothes with that needed ironing - you can
> still find those cork sprinkler tops at hardware stores. *Then you
> could just shake the water out.
>
> N.

I think the OP should just drag in the garden hose.