Aileen

Default Marble vs Granite Kichen countertops

Hi all:
I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
colour granite or material.
Any help appreciated, Aileen

Jack Denver

Marble is soft and porous and therefore less durable and more prone to
staining than granite. You will surely regret carrera as a kitchen
countertop surface unless you never actually use your kitchen, in which case
it looks great.

"Aileen" > wrote in message
> Hi all:
> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> colour granite or material.
> Any help appreciated, Aileen

Mike Nolan

Aileen > writes:

>I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
>your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
>compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
>I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
>white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
>colour granite or material.

We have 'blue pearl' granite countertops on side of our kitchen and on
the center island, butcher block on the other side, and a 24x48 table
with a 1" thick white marble top.

I've had the marble tabletop for around 20 years. (The marble itself
was originally removed from the wall of a building being remodeled, I had
it cut down to fit the table.)

I tend to use the marble mostly for candymaking, I think it does a
better job of heat dissipation than granite does.

I have noticed that the granite (which is nearly black) is far less likely
to show stains than either the marble or the butcher block.

I prefer to roll out dough (like pizza crusts) on the butcher block, but
that may be a function of which countertop has the least junk on it. :-)

Of course, ideally you should use some kind of protecting surface whenever
you are dealing with something likely to stain. When I make oily poured
candies, like peanut bruttle, I usually pour them onto aluminum foil.
--
Mike Nolan
Some Random Luser

Aileen wrote:
> Hi all:
> I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> colour granite or material.
> Any help appreciated, Aileen

Slightly off topic.

Gourmet magazine (Xmas edition, I think) had an tiny bit on glazed lava
stone as kitchen worktops. What caught my eye was the "bacteria
resistance" of the worktop. Also, the darn thing seems indestructible.

http://www.pyrolave.fr/part/ang/index_user_us.htm

cheers,
srl.
David Auerbach

In >, on 02/24/04
at 04:04 PM, Some Random Luser > said:

>Gourmet magazine (Xmas edition, I think) had an tiny bit on glazed lava
>stone as kitchen worktops. What caught my eye was the "bacteria
>resistance" of the worktop. Also, the darn thing seems indestructible.

>http://www.pyrolave.fr/part/ang/index_user_us.htm

Wonderful stuff, cut by laser, cost the earth.

--
Regards,
David

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103

JF

This is such a gross misunderstanding that I am forced to reply. We have had
white Carrara in our kitchen for years. It does not stain, unless you leave
red wine sitting on it overnight. The key is to hone the marble to remove
the finish and give it a softer look. I believe it got its bad reputation
from the finish pitting, not the marble itself.

"Jack Denver" > wrote in message
> Marble is soft and porous and therefore less durable and more prone to
> staining than granite. You will surely regret carrera as a kitchen
> countertop surface unless you never actually use your kitchen, in which

case
> it looks great.
>

> "Aileen" > wrote in message
> > Hi all:
> > I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
> > your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
> > compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
> > I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
> > white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
> > colour granite or material.
> > Any help appreciated, Aileen

David Auerbach

In >, on 02/24/04
at 11:55 PM, Just Another Alias > said:

>It's also great if you like the idea of supporting our friends the
>French.

I do, but fail to see the relevance?

--
Regards,
David

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103

Peter Aitken

"Just Another Alias" > wrote in message
> David Auerbach > wrote:
>
> >In >, on 02/24/04
> > at 11:55 PM, Just Another Alias > said:
> >
> >>It's also great if you like the idea of supporting our friends the
> >>French.

> > I do, but fail to see the relevance?

> Then it shouldn't enter into your decision.
>
> Many people are avoiding supporting the French economy because they
> were supporters of Saddam, opponents of the US, and opposed removing
> the guy who owed them money for the weapons they sold him.

Twit. The French opposed the US invading a sovereign nation without cause or
provocation. Events have proven them right. How many thousands have died
because our unelected flop-eared goofy-grinned dufus of a president decided
to invade a country without any WMD, with no ties to al-quaeda, and that was
zero threat to the USA?

--
Peter Aitken

Andrew Hardy

"Peter Aitken" > wrote:

>How many thousands have died
>because our unelected flop-eared goofy-grinned dufus of a president decided
>to invade a country without any WMD, with no ties to al-quaeda, and that was
>zero threat to the USA?

Impeached President Clinton ALSO was though there were WMD. As did UN, Ms.
Albright, et al.

Take your political drivel to where it belongs.

Michael Harp

On 2/26/04 7:01 PM, in article
, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

> "Just Another Alias" > wrote in message
>> David Auerbach > wrote:

>>> I do, but fail to see the relevance?

>> Then it shouldn't enter into your decision.
>>
>> Many people are avoiding supporting the French economy because they
>> were supporters of Saddam, opponents of the US, and opposed removing
>> the guy who owed them money for the weapons they sold him.

> Twit. The French opposed the US invading a sovereign nation without cause or
> provocation. Events have proven them right. How many thousands have died
> because our unelected flop-eared goofy-grinned dufus of a president decided
> to invade a country without any WMD, with no ties to al-quaeda, and that was
> zero threat to the USA?

I hate to get sucked into these threads, but how many hundreds of thousands
died because we didn't do anything earlier? Duh... Peter, you leftist views
are about as naïve as your understanding of freezers. I doubt anyone here is
really interested in your political views anyway, and I'm sure they're not
interested in mine, but comments like yours are just plain, well, ignorant.
I suppose we'd all be better off if Gore were in office, right??? The
thought of THAT scares me!! BTW, as an academic and all around smart guy,
you should understand that Bush WAS elected - that's why he's the friggin
president.

I also find it interesting that liberal democrats, such as yourself, find it
necessary to resort to name calling and personal attacks at those that don't
agree with your radical political views.

All I have to say about the subject...

I didn't read the entire thread, but marble is generally not a good material
for counter tops. It does make an excellent surface for pastry work,
however...

--
Michael Harp
Pinehurst, NC

Kenneth

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:35:26 GMT, Michael Harp >
wrote:

>I didn't read the entire thread, but marble is generally not a good material
>for counter tops. It does make an excellent surface for pastry work,
>however...

Howdy,

Why the difference...?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

Michael Harp

Either works fine. Marble may be less expensive and you don't have to buy as
large a piece for a pastry station. A tip for working with pastry that I'm
sure most people know, is to place a garbage bag partially filled with ice
on the surface before working...
--
Michael Harp
Pinehurst, NC

On 2/26/04 9:06 PM, in article ,
"Kenneth" > wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 01:35:26 GMT, Michael Harp >
> wrote:
>
>> I didn't read the entire thread, but marble is generally not a good material
>> for counter tops. It does make an excellent surface for pastry work,
>> however...

> Howdy,
>
> Why the difference...?
>
> Thanks,

David Auerbach

Ah, Peter. I'm sorry. I asked the pretend innocent question about the
relevance of some anonymous posters remark about supporting the French,
the twit responded and then you answered and the intelligent responses
flowed.
Pyrolave if very nice stuff, and stunningly beautiful in the appropriate
setting. Before budget realities took over we took a piece home and
dropped a cast iron skillet on it to test its strength. It did well.
Then we considered honed black granite; then we settled on (for?)
richlite. That's for the sink and bread areas. The big island is butcher
block. Nicely knife marred now.

--
Regards,
David

David Auerbach
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU
Box 8103
Raleigh, 27695-8103

Anguilla

In article >,
Michael Harp > wrote:

> A tip for working with pastry that I'm
> sure most people know, is to place a garbage bag partially filled with ice
> on the surface before working...
> --
> Michael Harp
> Pinehurst, NC

I'd never heard that one! And I thought I had heard them all ....

Great tip - thanks Michael!

MaryT
fred

"Just Another Alias" > wrote in message
> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:
>
> >Translation: I have no evidence at all to support my contention, but I

sure
> >hope it's true. I am not going to bother looking it up for myself because
> >(1) I don't know how, and/or (2) If the facts disagree with my
> >preconceptions I'll be in a pickle.

> No, I could dig it up from where I saw it last year some time, but
> leftists don't tend to listen to facts, so why bother?

Why should they when the rightists fabricate so many of them?

Member

Smile

Thanks for the great Information..... but you can also check this site Marble and Granite | Granite Countertops | Marble Granite They offered best Marble and Granite Services provider in this industry.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcrues View Post
Thanks for the great Information..... but you can also check this site Marble and Granite | Granite Countertops | Marble Granite They offered best Marble and Granite Services provider in this industry.
This was an old thread but then I would like to post my opinions regarding to which countertop is better.
Let’s start in definitions: granite is an igneous rock since these are made due to natural occurrence, they surface can’t be affected by citric acid or liquid beverages like tea, coffee and alcohol. They can’t be scratched, can take hot contents easily, and won’t hold bacteria. While marble is a metamorphic rock which tends to attract elements from its surroundings and turn solid.
In costs: since granite is heavier in weight, when it is cut into specific shapes, it impacts the price range tremendously. You would add the cost of shipping all the pieces of granite in this calculation as well and in marble, these stones are basically done in bulk, the cost of cutting and shipping them reduces considerably.
In care and maintenance: there are very unique requirements for both. It’s essential to know the correct procedures as every homeowner would want that their countertops stay new for a long time. Remember, if it’s luxury and comfort you’re looking for, then nothing can come close to granite but if your goal is to stay within the budget, then marble is your choice.

Last edited by danneva : 07-12-2010 at 08:57 PM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aileen View Post
Hi all:
I would like to hear from those of you with marble counters. What are
your experiences? I presently have Brazilian Green granite and wanted to
compare the two for durability , cost, staining etc etc.
I will be building another kitchen and am trying to decide ...light
white/grey granite or carrera marble for counters. Island to be another
colour granite or material.
Any help appreciated, Aileen

Hi Aileen, Like you, many people want to know if marble or granite is better for countertops in their kitchens and bathrooms. After all, both are beautiful materials, both lend beauty and elegance to any home, and both are available in many varieties to suit any preference. Therefore, it is much better to consider the Pros and cons of each.

First of all, Marble is a metamorphic rock. Its basic ingredient can be found everywhere from limestone to baking soda, from alcium carbonate to lime (white wash). The basic ingredient goes by many other names depending on its application and its form. Limestone, a sedimentary form of calcium, which is found naturally in the earth, undergoes intense heat and pressure within the earth to be formed into what we know as marble. Since marble is so porous, it is also easily stained. One single scratch can allow liquids or even oxidation from the air to leak under the seal coating and stain the marble.

Granite is also a metamorphic rock. It is a composite of quartz, silicon, feldspar, mica, and several other minerals. It too is formed under high pressure and heat. It is also just as beautiful. It is not as porous as marble and is resistant to chemicals and acids. The presence of quartz in granite provides the granite with a durability and hardness unlike that of soft marble.

Granite is more stain resistant and wear resistant than marble. While it is not perfect, granite holds up far better in high traffic uses such as counter tops and flooring. With a proper seal coating on granite and with proper care, granite will last for many years without scratching, staining, chipping, or wearing away. If properly cared for, granite may not need to be resealed every year.

Whether you choose granite or marble is up to you. When asked which one is better for the high traffic use of countertops, the answer should be clear, granite will simply hold up better. When properly cared for under normal conditions, granite is easier to care for and is resistant to staining, chemicals, heat, and fracturing. Granite is available in more colors and patterns and can be custom ordered for less than marble.

Last edited by Amity : 16-02-2011 at 08:05 AM