Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sushi rice [ and asian 'latkes']

I checked out the competition to the Asian Market I posted about a
couple weeks ago. This one is only a few blocks away from the other
one. It is bigger, brighter, and with a larger selection. The
other one wins hands down for 'character', though.

I picked up a couple bags of sushi rice. [Tomita and Elephant brands]
Both were marked 'new crop' - one had a Nov. 2011 harvest date. I
cooked a bit from both bags but I got distracted and overcooked the
elephant.

But still they were both far superior to anything I'd ever tried
before.

I made some spam Musubi-- and as expected my wife loved it-- and some
veggie sushi. [thanks to dsi1 for mentioning the Musubi- I've never
been a sushi fan- but the rest of the family is. I'll be doing a
lot more on Musubi, I think]

My wife has some problems chewing the nori. Is there thinner- or
more tender Nori-- or a substitute?

I used the leftover rice tonight to make some 'patties'. I mixed
about 3 cups of the sticky rice with a cup or so of red rice, some
sesame seeds, carrot, onion & ginger. Formed patties and fried in
a little oil until the outside was crispy.

There has to be a name for these-- they were yummy and had a great
texture. We're calling them Asian latkes for the time being. I'll
be making a bigger batch of sushi rice next time so I have more
leftover rice.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/7/2012 1:57 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I checked out the competition to the Asian Market I posted about a
> couple weeks ago. This one is only a few blocks away from the other
> one. It is bigger, brighter, and with a larger selection. The
> other one wins hands down for 'character', though.
>
> I picked up a couple bags of sushi rice. [Tomita and Elephant brands]
> Both were marked 'new crop' - one had a Nov. 2011 harvest date. I
> cooked a bit from both bags but I got distracted and overcooked the
> elephant.
>
> But still they were both far superior to anything I'd ever tried
> before.
>
> I made some spam Musubi-- and as expected my wife loved it-- and some
> veggie sushi. [thanks to dsi1 for mentioning the Musubi- I've never
> been a sushi fan- but the rest of the family is. I'll be doing a
> lot more on Musubi, I think]
>
> My wife has some problems chewing the nori. Is there thinner- or
> more tender Nori-- or a substitute?

You can use furikaki. That stuff will blow your mind - it's so tasty.
Just sprinkle over the rice ball. :-)

> I used the leftover rice tonight to make some 'patties'. I mixed
> about 3 cups of the sticky rice with a cup or so of red rice, some
> sesame seeds, carrot, onion& ginger. Formed patties and fried in
> a little oil until the outside was crispy.

Wow, that sounds pretty good.

> There has to be a name for these-- they were yummy and had a great
> texture. We're calling them Asian latkes for the time being. I'll
> be making a bigger batch of sushi rice next time so I have more
> leftover rice.

Frying musubis is a new idea over here too. I've never had one myself
but I've had a charcoal grilled one. It is good that you're trying this
cause right now, there's no wrong way to do it. The sky is wide open. :-)