Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi or Sumeshi)

Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi or Sumeshi)

Ingredients

3-1/3 cups short-grain rice, washed
4 cups water
3 inch square konbu (giant kelp)

Dressing

5 Tbs plus 1 tsp rice vinegar
2 to 5 Tbs sugar
4 tsp sea salt

Preparation

Put rice in heavy bottomed medium-sized pot or rice cooker and add the
water.

Wipe konbu clean with a damp cloth, slashing in a few places to release
more flavor if desired. Place on top of rice in water.

Cover and heat over medium heat until it starts boiling. Remove and
discard the konbu. Cover tightly and boil over high heat for 2 minutes.
Turn heat down to medium and boil another 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low
and cook for 15 minutes or 'til all water has been absorbed. Turn off heat
and let stand (on burner), with pot lid wrapped in a kitchen towel, 10 to
15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare vinegar dressing. Dissolve the sugar and salt in the
vinegar over low heat. [NOTE: A little more vinegar in the summer, but, to
your taste] Force-cool to room temperature by placing mixture in a metal
bowl and twirling in a bath of water and ice.

Tossing rice

Using a flat wooden spoon or rice paddle, spread the hot rice in a thin
layer in a wide and shallow wooden or plastic bowl or hangiri tub. Toss
rice with horizontal cutting strokes to keep grains separate. While
tossing, sprinkle vinegar dressing generously over the rice, but not so
much that you make the rice mushy.

Cool the rice quickly to room temperature as you toss it, using a small fan
or one of your kids fanning with a folded up newspaper! Should all take
about 10 minutes. Cover with a damp towel in a container and finish the
same day. Don't bother refrigerating to make stir-fry the next day!

Mix 'hand-vinegar' (tezu - 2 Tbs rice vinegar to 6 Tbs water) in a small
bowl and use to keep the rice from sticking to your fingers. Dip your
fingers in the "hand-vinegar" and rub palms together. Pick up sbout 1-1/2
Tbs vinegared rice and form into a roughly rectangular shape, about 1-1/2"
long by 3/4" square. Place rice across the first joint of the fingers of
your strong hand and form by clenching that hand. With index and middle
fingers, press and form rice into a more defined and firm shape, turning
rice over so that all sides receive equal pressure. Don't squash or mush
the rice; firm, but gentle. Smear a dab of wasabi in the center of the fish
and press fish and rice 'finger' together. Use nori strips as desired.
{NOTE: Nori has a "front" side and a "back" side. The "back" side is the
side on which the ingredients are laid before rolling. Always toast nori by
passing the "Front" side over a flame 'til crisp.] Shrimp should be
parboiled (skewer with toothpick to keep from curling) about 3 minutes.

Find more info in "Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art", by Shijuo Tsuji,
Kodensha Int'l, Tokyo, 1982, p. 290 et seq. This is my favorite English
language Japanese cookbook.Tsuji-sama's descriptions, explanations, recipes
and anecdotes are beyond simply excellent. If you can find it, I highly
recommend it.

The Tsuji Culinary School is headquartered in Osaka, and has a branch in
Chteau de l'Éclair, France. Ahhh. Would that I could. ;-(

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

>> Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi or Sumeshi)

> Thanks, Nick! That's a very different recipe than the one on the back
> of the rice packet!

Apart from the kombu this is exactly how I make my rice. (Maybe slightly less sugar too.)

For me it has also been the best method to always make the same amount of rice with the same brand using the same pot. Now after several years I can sucesfully vary the amount but unfamiliar brand is still never perfect the first time.

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo > wrote:
> >> Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi or Sumeshi)

> > Thanks, Nick! That's a very different recipe than the one on the back
> > of the rice packet!

> Apart from the kombu this is exactly how I make my rice. (Maybe slightly
> less sugar too.)
>
> For me it has also been the best method to always make the same amount of
> rice with the same brand using the same pot. Now after several years I
> can sucesfully vary the amount but unfamiliar brand is still never
> perfect the first time.

In addition to its own flavor, kombu contains glutamic acid (the natural
source of MSG), which enhances the flavor of the rice (great in Dashi,
too). Note how briefly Tsuji-sama leaves it in the rice. I think 15 or 20
minutes would be overpowering.

As to the amount of sugar in the sushi vinegar (sushi-zu), everything to
taste, eh?

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> In addition to its own flavor, kombu contains glutamic acid (the natural
> source of MSG), which enhances the flavor of the rice (great in Dashi,
> too). Note how briefly Tsuji-sama leaves it in the rice. I think 15 or 20
> minutes would be overpowering.

I have piece of kombu which I'll use next time.

I bought it for 'marinating' fish between sheets of kombu which I have not done before. (for sashimi)

Jukka
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Dave wrote on Sat, 02 Jan 2010 23:26:56 -0600:

> Yes, short grain. The fishmonger has sushi rice for sale as
> well, and I will buy from him next. I didn't realize he sold
> it until the last time I was there. He also sells his own
> vinegar, pre-mixed with sugar et al which is quite nice. I
> will try your recipe, though

I've gotten sweetened vinegar for sushi rice at my *Chinese*
supermarket. As the bottle suggests, it is quite useful for salad
dressings (not only Japanese salads) and in marinades.The Kim San
grocery does not let ethnic purity stand in the way of profit :-)

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo > wrote:
> > In addition to its own flavor, kombu contains glutamic acid (the
> > natural source of MSG), which enhances the flavor of the rice (great in
> > Dashi, too). Note how briefly Tsuji-sama leaves it in the rice. I think
> > 15 or 20 minutes would be overpowering.

> I have piece of kombu which I'll use next time.
>
> I bought it for 'marinating' fish between sheets of kombu which I have
> not done before. (for sashimi)

That's also done. If you can, Google on Kombu Recipes. It has many uses.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061