Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Asian Rice Bowls

Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. I had one of
their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. I'm guessing that
the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.

I know several of you are from the Sacramento area, and I'm wondering
if any of you have been to Fat's, and could suggest what the sauce may
consist of?. . .It's absolutely a wonderful dish, and I'd love to try
making something similar.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 8:26*pm, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
> Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. *I had one of
> their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. *I'm guessing that
> the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.
>
> I know several of you are from the Sacramento area, and I'm wondering
> if any of you have been to Fat's, and could suggest what the sauce may
> consist of?. . .It's absolutely a wonderful dish, and I'd love to try
> making something similar.
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

On their menu it's called, "Hunan Seafood in Fat Pot" - described as
seafood in a spicy sauce with rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. I had one of
> their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. I'm guessing that
> the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.
>
> I know several of you are from the Sacramento area, and I'm wondering
> if any of you have been to Fat's, and could suggest what the sauce may
> consist of?. . .It's absolutely a wonderful dish, and I'd love to try
> making something similar.
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

Sounds like it could be like Mae Ploy chili sauce.
See: http://www.importfood.com/samp1001.html
I buy it at my local Lion Super market, for more like $0.99 for the
large, 32 oz bottle!!
Sort of like jalapeno jelly that never quite set...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 11:28*pm, Dave Bell > wrote:
> Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> > Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. *I had one of
> > their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. *I'm guessing that
> > the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.

> > I know several of you are from the Sacramento area, and I'm wondering
> > if any of you have been to Fat's, and could suggest what the sauce may
> > consist of?. . .It's absolutely a wonderful dish, and I'd love to try
> > making something similar.

> > Myrl Jeffcoat

> Sounds like it could be like Mae Ploy chili sauce.
> See:http://www.importfood.com/samp1001.html
> I buy it at my local Lion Super market, for more like $0.99 for the
> large, 32 oz bottle!!
> Sort of like jalapeno jelly that never quite set...
>
> Dave

I suspect you are probably right. I did purchase a bottle of Sweet
Chili sauce this evening to try. The bottle looks almost exactly like
what you sent the picture of. Only the brand on mine is Caravelle.

Where is your local Lion Super market located?. . .Sacramento area?

Myrl Jeffcoat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> I suspect you are probably right. I did purchase a bottle of Sweet
> Chili sauce this evening to try. The bottle looks almost exactly like
> what you sent the picture of. Only the brand on mine is Caravelle.
>
> Where is your local Lion Super market located?. . .Sacramento area?
>
> Myrl Jeffcoat

No, mine are in the San Jose vicinity. (Santa Clara, Milpitas, Story Rd...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:52:19 -0800 (PST), Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
>
>> I suspect you are probably right. I did purchase a bottle of Sweet
>> Chili sauce this evening to try. The bottle looks almost exactly like
>> what you sent the picture of. Only the brand on mine is Caravelle.

> Caravelle isn't nearly as good as Mae Ploy. Mae ploy has a more
> interesting flavor. Caravalle is just kinda bland.
>
> -sw

Agree, I have tried the 3 or 4 other similar looking bottles and Mae
Ploy tastes much better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 29, 10:08*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:52:19 -0800 (PST), Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
> > I suspect you are probably right. *I did purchase a bottle of Sweet
> > Chili sauce this evening to try. *The bottle looks almost exactly like
> > what you sent the picture of. *Only the brand on mine is Caravelle.

> Caravelle isn't nearly as good as Mae Ploy. *Mae ploy has a more
> interesting flavor. *Caravalle is just kinda bland.
>
> -sw

I'll check around for Mae Ploy. Do any of you in the Sacramento area,
know of a local store which caries that brand?

Myrl Jeffcoat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-12-30, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:

> I'll check around for Mae Ploy. Do any of you in the Sacramento area,
> know of a local store which caries that brand?

Its fairly common, but, if you can't find it locally, you can always order
online:

- Import Food.com
http://importfood.com/samp1001.html

- Grocery Thai
http://grocerythai.com/sweet-chili-s...8d73afc9ea7a6f

- Temple of Thai
http://www.templeofthai.com/food/sau...5144031122.php

Three great online vendors of Thai ingredients!

--
Clay Irving >
'Cos they're EVIL, that's why. And not in a good way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Clay Irving wrote:
> On 2007-12-30, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
>> I'll check around for Mae Ploy. Do any of you in the Sacramento area,
>> know of a local store which caries that brand?

> Its fairly common, but, if you can't find it locally, you can always order
> online:

My local Walmart, Albertsons (SuperValue) and Fred Meyer (Kroger) all
carry small and large bottles of Mae Ploy, and for this ingredient the
prices are similar to that at ethnic specialty stores and websites,
unlike the exaggerated prices for fish sauce and curry paste.

Also to the OP, check out Clay's Kitchen site for a ton of Thai recipes.

Justen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-12-30, justen > wrote:

> Also to the OP, check out Clay's Kitchen site for a ton of Thai recipes.

Thank you. I'm currently in Thailand discovering more recipes. I have new
pictures of Thai food and pictures from a walk through a local Thai market:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clayirv...7603576753446/

I haven't posted the bowl full of bugs yet...

--
Clay Irving >
In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel over

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:28:29 -0800, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:
>> Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. I had one of
>> their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. I'm guessing that
>> the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.
>>
>> I know several of you are from the Sacramento area, and I'm wondering
>> if any of you have been to Fat's, and could suggest what the sauce may
>> consist of?. . .It's absolutely a wonderful dish, and I'd love to try
>> making something similar.
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>>

>Sounds like it could be like Mae Ploy chili sauce.
>See: http://www.importfood.com/samp1001.html
>I buy it at my local Lion Super market, for more like $0.99 for the
>large, 32 oz bottle!!
>Sort of like jalapeno jelly that never quite set...
>
>Dave

mae ploy is pretty good stuff. you can use it as a dip for a number
of things.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Myrl Jeffcoat wrote:

> Recently, I had lunch with friends at Fat's in Folsom. �I had one of
> their Rice Bowls with Shrimp and Scallops in it. �I'm guessing that
> the sauce was a sort of Sweet Chili sauce.

And here I was guessing this was going to be about a Chinese New Year
football game or some such...

http://www.businessweek.com/2001/01_06/b3718193.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 30, 5:27*am, justen > wrote:
> Clay Irving wrote:
> > On 2007-12-30, Myrl Jeffcoat > wrote:
> >> I'll check around for Mae Ploy. *Do any of you in the Sacramento area,
> >> know of a local store which caries that brand?

> > Its fairly common, but, if you can't find it locally, you can always order
> > online:

> My local Walmart, Albertsons (SuperValue) and Fred Meyer (Kroger) all
> carry small and large bottles of Mae Ploy, and for this ingredient the
> prices are similar to that at ethnic specialty stores and websites,
> unlike the exaggerated prices for fish sauce and curry paste.
>
> Also to the OP, check out Clay's Kitchen site for a ton of Thai recipes.
>
> Justen

Interestingly, I was in a large Asian market when I picked up the
Caravelle - I didn't see Mae Ploy. However, I need to go to another
market today for some lat minute shopping before my family arrives
home early tomorrow. I'll see what they have. Albertson's has all
but disappeared in the Sacramento area. I'll check out Raley's/
BelAir.

Everyone have a great New Year, if I don't talk with you before.

Myrl Jeffcoat