Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poll: your number of trips to the supermkt per month?

Average of 8 for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

>Average of 8 for me.

Define "supermarket". It might be zero for me. (Since the closest
store meeting the usual definition of "supermarket" closed down.)

If TJ's counts then it's about eight.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 10:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Average of 8 for me.

Twelve, counting Trader Joe's. Seems like we're always running out of
one dairy product or other, or 2$ Chuck which we use for cooking --
cheaper than broth. Then I'll shop the sale papers. Further, the
supermarket with good, reasonably priced produce charges twice as much
for meat as where I buy ours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 10:47*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Jan 17, 10:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > Average of 8 for me.

> Twelve, counting Trader Joe's. Seems like we're always running out of
> one dairy product or other, or 2$ Chuck which we use for cooking --
> cheaper than broth. Then I'll shop the sale papers. Further, the
> supermarket with good, reasonably priced produce charges twice as much
> for meat as where I buy ours.

12 or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:48:20 -0800 (PST), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Jan 17, 11:53*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:34:41 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>> > Average of 8 for me.

>> I am in a grocery store 20-25 times a month. *Sometimes 3-4 in one
>> day.
>>
>> -sw

>What...lonely?

A shop lifting fetish?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 17, 10:34*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> Average of 8 for me.

In an ideal week I go to the Farmers' Market for produce on Thursday,
to the Asian market for other produce and for ground pork maybe twice
a month, to TJ's for their stuff on some early morning, and to the
supermarket for all the rest one other day. In a less than ideal week
I go back to the supermarket for forgotten things and surprise outages
another time.

So 5 or 6 times per month. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A regular grocery store maybe twice a week... different stores to take advantage of sale iteems.

Sam's... probably twice a month.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia > wrote:

> Average of 8 for me.

We make a trip to market every 4 days, so 7 or 8 in a month. Each trip
usually involves stopping in several places, though.

In the summer and fall, we're trading with other folks, so we don't make as
many trips.

--
Mike
http://www.facebook.com/groups/mikes.place.bar/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2012 2:14 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jan 17, 10:34 am, > wrote:
>> Average of 8 for me.

> I go once a week or less.

Roughly, about 5 I have to admit. I often pick up stuff from the salad bar.

--
Jim Silverton

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:34*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> Average of 8 for me.

30? 35? Pretty much every day, sometimes more than once.

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> Average of 8 for me.

My regular trip is on Saturday morning at 6am. Sometimes back on Sunday
morning if i forgot/need a few things. (I just like getting out early).

That's all if I'm working all week. If days off during the week, I tend to
go again.

So for me.....average of about 8 too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Jan 17, 11:53 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:34:41 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
> > > Average of 8 for me.

> > I am in a grocery store 20-25 times a month. Sometimes 3-4 in one
> > day.
> >
> > -sw

> What...lonely?

I used to do it that often too when I had an old NOT-reliable van. I would
just go there on my bike (less than a mile) and do it more often since I
didn't want to carry too much home.

Grocery store is a social event for me too. I always seem to run into
someone I know, no matter what time of day that I go.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Average of 8 for me.

I shop about once a month. The only things I need to replenish regularly
are bread, milk & eggs. I freeze bread and milk so that's no biggie. There
is no farmer's market to speak of. There are farm stands, but it's winter
so there isn't much available in the way of fresh local produce right now.
I have a freezer so I stock up on meat when it goes on sale.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default your number of trips to the supermkt per month?

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Average of 8 for me.

I don't want to even add them all up! And I do buy groceries at places that
aren't the supermarket. I go to Winco and Costco 3 to 4 times a month but I
don't always buy food at Costco. I go to Walmart for a small amount of food
4 time a month. I buy food at Target 3 to 4 times a month. There is an
Albertsons near my daughter's dance studio. Sometimes I go there 5 days out
of the week but I may just be buying a few things. One reason for this is
that they put out doublers which double the amount up to a dollar on coupons
that you use. You may only use 3 at a time. Normally I only get 3 but if I
get more than 3 it takes more than 1 trip to use them all. But often I just
get bored and go over there.

Then there are the other things we need. Some can only be bought at
Safeway, Top Foods, QFC, Central Market or the gluten free store. Then
there is the health food store. I probably go there now twice a month but
in past times it was a lot more frequent. Daughter's dance studio used to
be located near there. But they moved. I probably go to the other stores
once a month unless there is a need for something. I also mail order some
foods.

I probably go more often than most people do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>>Average of 8 for me.

> Define "supermarket". It might be zero for me. (Since the closest
> store meeting the usual definition of "supermarket" closed down.)
>
> If TJ's counts then it's about eight.

Oops! I didn't list them. I do go there a few times a year.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 1/17/2012 2:14 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Jan 17, 10:34 am, > wrote:
>>> Average of 8 for me.

>> I go once a week or less.

> Roughly, about 5 I have to admit. I often pick up stuff from the salad
> bar.

I love the salad bar but the day that my daughter got a huge amount of
cottage cheese from it was the day I realized just how much it cost me! We
do still buy from it but we are much more careful. I always have cottage
and other cheeses at home. I have canned beans and olives. We no longer
get those things. Mostly we get some greens because they are lightweight.
When I make meatloaf I often get a small amount of veggies for that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Chemo the Clown wrote:

>> > I am in a grocery store 20-25 times a month. Sometimes 3-4 in one
>> > day.
>> >
>> > -sw

>> What...lonely?

> I used to do it that often too when I had an old NOT-reliable van. I
> would
> just go there on my bike (less than a mile) and do it more often since I
> didn't want to carry too much home.
>
> Grocery store is a social event for me too. I always seem to run into
> someone I know, no matter what time of day that I go.

I tend not to buy a lot at any one place at any time. I wish I could find
one store that carried all that we need and for a good price. But dream on!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:10:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Average of 8 for me.

>I don't want to even add them all up! And I do buy groceries at places that
>aren't the supermarket. I go to Winco and Costco 3 to 4 times a month but I
>don't always buy food at Costco. I go to Walmart for a small amount of food
>4 time a month. I buy food at Target 3 to 4 times a month. There is an
>Albertsons near my daughter's dance studio. Sometimes I go there 5 days out
>of the week but I may just be buying a few things. One reason for this is
>that they put out doublers which double the amount up to a dollar on coupons
>that you use. You may only use 3 at a time. Normally I only get 3 but if I
>get more than 3 it takes more than 1 trip to use them all. But often I just
>get bored and go over there.
>
>Then there are the other things we need. Some can only be bought at
>Safeway, Top Foods, QFC, Central Market or the gluten free store. Then
>there is the health food store. I probably go there now twice a month but
>in past times it was a lot more frequent. Daughter's dance studio used to
>be located near there. But they moved. I probably go to the other stores
>once a month unless there is a need for something. I also mail order some
>foods.
>
>I probably go more often than most people do.

Gee, with all your dislikes one would think you shop like once a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Average of 8 for me.

> I shop about once a month. The only things I need to replenish
> regularly are bread, milk & eggs. I freeze bread and milk so that's
> no biggie. There is no farmer's market to speak of. There are farm
> stands, but it's winter so there isn't much available in the way of
> fresh local produce right now. I have a freezer so I stock up on meat
> when it goes on sale.
>
> Jill

I didn't know you could freeze milk for later use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 17:55:56 -0500, Gary wrote:

> Grocery store is a social event for me too. I always seem to run into
> someone I know, no matter what time of day that I go.

I go about 4 time a month to flirt with the early morning stock boys
on the day before their pay-day. See if they need a lift home while
they're all sweaty and oily after a hard nights work.

If I get there early I poke holes in the packages of meat and smash
all the fresh baked bread.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Got a good sytem going:

Once a month I order from Peapod, and have delivered, all the staples,
bulk items and brand names I think I will need for the month.

Then I hit Shaw's two or three times a week for fish, poultry and
meat, produce, dairy, and items I want to choose myself.

The Peapod order is from Stop & Shop, so the prices are comparative,
and the delivery cost is well worth it to me because I can then spend
my shopping time on more interesting purchases than, say, paper
towels.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Average of 8 for me.

> I don't want to even add them all up! And I do buy groceries at places
> that aren't the supermarket. I go to Winco and Costco 3 to 4 times a
> month but I don't always buy food at Costco. I go to Walmart for a small
> amount of food 4 time a month. I buy food at Target 3 to 4 times a month.
> There is an Albertsons near my daughter's dance studio. Sometimes I go
> there 5 days out of the week but I may just be buying a few things. One
> reason for this is that they put out doublers which double the amount up
> to a dollar on coupons that you use. You may only use 3 at a time.
> Normally I only get 3 but if I get more than 3 it takes more than 1 trip
> to use them all. But often I just get bored and go over there.
>
> Then there are the other things we need. Some can only be bought at
> Safeway, Top Foods, QFC, Central Market or the gluten free store. Then
> there is the health food store. I probably go there now twice a month but
> in past times it was a lot more frequent. Daughter's dance studio used to
> be located near there. But they moved. I probably go to the other stores
> once a month unless there is a need for something. I also mail order some
> foods.
>
> I probably go more often than most people do.

Three. There's a list of just about everything we might need here on
computer. I print it, I inventory and get serious. Here on the Bayou,
there's no such thing as 'running to the store'. In the first place, it's a
long way away. Second, it's a social event here too and nobody hurries. If
somebody ever answers the question, "Can you freeze milk?", I might get even
better at spacing out the needed trips. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2012 1:34 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Average of 8 for me.

About the same for me if you're literal about the supermarket.
I also visit Costco at least 3 times a month.

If I didn't live a mile away from the supermarket, I'd have to
be more organized with my shopping lists. As it is, I try to get
everything I'll need for a few days but it's nothing for me to run
out for a forgotten ingredient (or that potato chip craving) if I
need to.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:10:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I probably go more often than most people do.

I used to go that often when my kids were your kids ages. I like the
European way of daily shopping. I hate shopping for even 3 days worth
of food because I never feel like preparing or eating whatever it is
I'm left with on the third day.
--

Ham and eggs.
A day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:10:46 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>> Average of 8 for me.

>I don't want to even add them all up! And I do buy groceries at places that
>aren't the supermarket. I go to Winco and Costco 3 to 4 times a month but I
>don't always buy food at Costco. I go to Walmart for a small amount of food
>4 time a month. I buy food at Target 3 to 4 times a month. There is an
>Albertsons near my daughter's dance studio.

We do out "big" shopping once a month, but we go back at least once a
week for fresh product, milk, seafood, bread, etc. In summer, we
visit the Farmer's Market at least once a week.

We also go to some of the specialty store maybe one a month. It may
be the Polish deli, the Italian food store or the like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/17/2012 10:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> Average of 8 for me.

Hmm. 3 or 4 times a week, so a dozen? 16? more?

We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" <
> We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
> whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.

My goodness what a variety of lifestyles we have here at rfc. There's
nothing you could shop for within a mile . . . well, maybe some just-caught
fish or crabs but that's about it. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 7:42*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
> On 01/17/2012 10:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Average of 8 for me.

> Hmm. 3 or 4 times a week, so a dozen? 16? more?
>
> We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
> whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.

Get a granny cart -- you can put at least two full bags of food in
one, and all you need is one free hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 7:51*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" <
>
> > We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
> > whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.

> My goodness what a variety of lifestyles we have here at rfc. *There's
> nothing you could shop for within a mile . . . well, maybe some just-caught
> fish or crabs but that's about it. *Polly

Within a mile I have a Smart & Final Extra (basically discount, but
you have to know your prices) a Target (best prices on frozen
vegetables), a Big Lots (the hit or miss of dry groceries), a BevMo
(liquor store with a service deli), and a Lucky supermarket. Depending
on what I want to buy, I'll either take a cheesy nylon backpack (the
kind you can shove in a pocket); or a small folding cart with a bungee
cord (to hold the 100 oz container of Tide plus a bale of TP, for
example.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 1:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:34:41 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
> > Average of 8 for me.

> I am in a grocery store 20-25 times a month. *Sometimes 3-4 in one
> day.
>
> -sw

Whew!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 12:34*pm, Kalmia > wrote:

> Average of 8 for me.

Perhaps 6 times per month.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 6:41*pm, Earl > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > "Kalmia" > wrote in message

> >> Average of 8 for me.

> > I shop about once a month. *The only things I need to replenish
> > regularly are bread, milk & eggs. *I freeze bread and milk so that's
> > no biggie. *There is no farmer's market to speak of. *There are farm
> > stands, but it's winter so there isn't much available in the way of
> > fresh local produce right now. I have a freezer so I stock up on meat
> > when it goes on sale.

> > Jill

> I didn't know you could freeze milk for later use.- Hide quoted text -

Shake WELL after thawing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ItsJoanNotJoann" > wrote in message
> On Jan 17, 6:41 pm, Earl > wrote:
>>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>> > I shop about once a month. The only things I need to replenish
>> > regularly are bread, milk & eggs. I freeze bread and milk so that's
>> > no biggie. There is no farmer's market to speak of. There are farm
>> > stands, but it's winter so there isn't much available in the way of
>> > fresh local produce right now. I have a freezer so I stock up on meat
>> > when it goes on sale.

>> > Jill

>> I didn't know you could freeze milk for later use.- Hide quoted text -
>>

> Shake WELL after thawing.

Shaking isn't necessary if you buy fat-free milk. I do it anyway, out of
habit.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>>> Average of 8 for me.

(snippage)
>IF somebody ever answers the question, "Can you freeze milk?", I might get
>even better at spacing out the needed trips. Polly

Of course you can freeze milk. Have you been living under a rock?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" <>
> Of course you can freeze milk. Have you been living under a rock?
>
> Jill

Such a notion just never crossed my mind. I grew up in the days when the
nice ice man came by and delivered blocks of ice. Even remember when he
used a horse and wagon. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/17/2012 07:51 PM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Serene Vannoy" <
>> We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
>> whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.
>>

> My goodness what a variety of lifestyles we have here at rfc. There's
> nothing you could shop for within a mile . . . well, maybe some
> just-caught fish or crabs but that's about it. Polly

That's one thing we love about living in an urban environment: within a
mile or so, we have a really good grocery store (the Berkeley Bowl), two
okay ones (Safeway and Whole Foods), a small produce store, an Italian
deli, a couple of Ethiopian grocers, and a gazillion places to shop that
aren't grocery stores (coffee shops, restaurants, etc.). We're big
walkers (obviously), so the more stuff we can get to on foot, the better.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 01/17/2012 09:20 PM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jan 17, 7:42 pm, Serene > wrote:
>> On 01/17/2012 10:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>>> Average of 8 for me.

>> Hmm. 3 or 4 times a week, so a dozen? 16? more?
>>
>> We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
>> whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.
>>

> Get a granny cart -- you can put at least two full bags of food in
> one, and all you need is one free hand.

We have one (actually, we have three -- we use at least two on laundry
day), but we only take it if we really need a lot of stuff. Otherwise,
we just go 3-4 times a week and get what we can carry.

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote:

>I grew up in the days when the nice ice man came by and delivered blocks of ice.
> Polly O

Just how nice was that ice man?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 12:20*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Jan 17, 7:42*pm, Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
> > On 01/17/2012 10:34 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> > > Average of 8 for me.

> > Hmm. 3 or 4 times a week, so a dozen? 16? more?

> > We don't buy a lot at one time, because we do our shopping on foot, so
> > whatever we buy, we have to carry a mile home.

> Get a granny cart -- you can put at least two full bags of food in
> one, and all you need is one free hand.

I call those a condo cart. Everyone who lives in a high rise condo
seems own one. Tough to schlep stuff up in an elevator a bag or two
at a time.

When I was a kid, in the morning my mother would drop the wheeled cart
off at a local grocer with a shopping list. At 3, I'd get to drag it
home. Nothing perishable of course, but what great service that was.
"Ou sont les neiges....."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 17, 9:40*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "Kalmia" > wrote in message
> >> Average of 8 for me.

> > I don't want to even add them all up! *And I do buy groceries at places
> > that aren't the supermarket. *I go to Winco and Costco 3 to 4 times a
> > month but I don't always buy food at Costco. *I go to Walmart for a small
> > amount of food 4 time a month. *I buy food at Target 3 to 4 times a month.
> > There is an Albertsons near my daughter's dance studio. *Sometimes I go
> > there 5 days out of the week but I may just be buying a few things. *One
> > reason for this is that they put out doublers which double the amount up
> > to a dollar on coupons that you use. *You may only use 3 at a time.
> > Normally I only get 3 but if I get more than 3 it takes more than 1 trip
> > to use them all. *But often I just get bored and go over there.

> > Then there are the other things we need. *Some can only be bought at
> > Safeway, Top Foods, QFC, Central Market or the gluten free store. *Then
> > there is the health food store. *I probably go there now twice a month but
> > in past times it was a lot more frequent. *Daughter's dance studio used to
> > be located near there. *But they moved. *I probably go to the other stores
> > once a month unless there is a need for something. *I also mail order some
> > foods.

> > I probably go more often than most people do.

> Three. *There's a list of just about everything we might need here on
> computer. *I print it, I inventory and get serious. *Here on the Bayou,
> there's no such thing as 'running to the store'. *In the first place, it's a
> long way away. *Second, it's a social event here too and nobody hurries.. If
> somebody ever answers the question, "Can you freeze milk?", I might get even
> better at spacing out the needed trips. *Polly

Here's my system. I have 4 Rubbermaid 1 qt. bottles. I buy a gallon,
divvy it up, put 3 bottles in the freezer. So you've got one working
bottle in the fridge and 3 frozen. When the worker gets down to about
a glassful, I pull a milk from the freezer. I even numbered the
bottles 1, 2, and 3. When I pull 3, then I know it's time to add milk
to the list. You may have to alter this a bit based on your usage and
distance. It works - I never run out of milk anymore. I buy only
skim. It freezes fine - just shake the crystals a bit.
The frozen bottle I can thaw on the counter for a couple of hours -
enough to pour off a cup or so. Or let it thaw overnight in the
fridge.