Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default road trips taken within the last week or so

Last week I went on a "road trip" to the Jon Donaire Pastry Factory
(9420 Sorensen Avenue, Santa Fe Springs,CA, 90670, 562-941-1856.
Sorensen Avenue crosses Slauson and is east of the 605 Freeway.
Mapblast is your friend. I knew they have an outlet at the factory
and I had been wanting to see how much the difference in price would
be, from a regular retail outlet. The price difference was
significant. I purchased two cheesescakes, mixed berry and chocolate,
each had 16 slices and the prices for each was $8.00. I was at a
local Smart & Final store (Monrovia, CA) last night and checked their
prices. A 12 slice cheesecake was $15.99. Next month, I'll be going
back to purchase several more for the break-the-fast meals on Rosh
Hashanah and Yom Kippur.

I just returned from another "road trip" to the Gioia Cheese Co, 1605
Potrero Ave., SouthEl Monte, CA, 626-444-6015. (gioiacheeseinc.com)
The location is easy to find, Santa Anita (north) exit from the
westbound 60 Fwy. Mapblast is your friend. I had read a review about
their product line in the L A Weekly last week written I believe by
Jonathan Gold, (he won a Pulitzer Prize for his food reviews).

I purchased a 3 lb tub of the FRESH 4 oz ovaline mozzarella
($(12.00). As soon as I got home I opened the tub and took out a
ball and sliced it into 1/4 inch slices, put it on a plate, sliced up
a ripe tomato, poured over a small amount of olive oil and a little
bit of kosher salt, let it sit for maybe 5 minutes (I couldn't wait).
It was a wonderful (almost caprese salad, no basil) salad. I plan on
making another road trip soon.

harriet & critters in hot azusa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"critters & me in azusa, ca" > wrote in message
> Last week I went on a "road trip" to the Jon Donaire Pastry Factory
> (9420 Sorensen Avenue, Santa Fe Springs,CA, 90670, 562-941-1856.
> Sorensen Avenue crosses Slauson and is east of the 605 Freeway.
> Mapblast is your friend. I knew they have an outlet at the factory
> and I had been wanting to see how much the difference in price would
> be, from a regular retail outlet. The price difference was
> significant. I purchased two cheesescakes, mixed berry and chocolate,
> each had 16 slices and the prices for each was $8.00. I was at a
> local Smart & Final store (Monrovia, CA) last night and checked their
> prices. A 12 slice cheesecake was $15.99. Next month, I'll be going
> back to purchase several more for the break-the-fast meals on Rosh
> Hashanah and Yom Kippur.
>
> I just returned from another "road trip" to the Gioia Cheese Co, 1605
> Potrero Ave., SouthEl Monte, CA, 626-444-6015. (gioiacheeseinc.com)
> The location is easy to find, Santa Anita (north) exit from the
> westbound 60 Fwy. Mapblast is your friend. I had read a review about
> their product line in the L A Weekly last week written I believe by
> Jonathan Gold, (he won a Pulitzer Prize for his food reviews).
>
> I purchased a 3 lb tub of the FRESH 4 oz ovaline mozzarella
> ($(12.00). As soon as I got home I opened the tub and took out a
> ball and sliced it into 1/4 inch slices, put it on a plate, sliced up
> a ripe tomato, poured over a small amount of olive oil and a little
> bit of kosher salt, let it sit for maybe 5 minutes (I couldn't wait).
> It was a wonderful (almost caprese salad, no basil) salad. I plan on
> making another road trip soon.
>
> harriet & critters in hot azusa.

Those both sound wonderful Harriet, too bad that dairy in Azusa is gone,
they always made decent cheese.
- Kody

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/19/2010 5:07 PM, critters & me in azusa, ca wrote:

snip...
> I purchased a 3 lb tub of the FRESH 4 oz ovaline mozzarella
> ($(12.00). As soon as I got home I opened the tub and took out a
> ball and sliced it into 1/4 inch slices, put it on a plate, sliced up
> a ripe tomato, poured over a small amount of olive oil and a little
> bit of kosher salt, let it sit for maybe 5 minutes (I couldn't wait).
> It was a wonderful (almost caprese salad, no basil) salad. I plan on
> making another road trip soon.
>
> harriet& critters in hot azusa.

We just came home from a road trip, but the only thing I bought in a
supermarket was whoopie pies. I should have looked for horseradish,
because we can't find good horseradish here in Louisiana.

We went to Ohio for a picnic with friends, then to Pennsylvania to visit
friends and family. In PA, I had cheesesteaks and Italian sandwiches,
more than once. Gasoline was between $2.35 and $2.69, people do not
know how to merge into traffic, and the rain in Tennessee was harsh.
Tennessee is still my favorite state, if it didn't get so cold, I would
move there. I am anti-snow.

I was walking and talking in my sleep last night, I thought I was in
someone else's house. I was amazed that they had a floor rug just like
mine. I have to laugh at myself. It's good to me home!

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 5:08*pm, Ema Nymton > wrote:
> On 8/19/2010 5:07 PM, critters & me in azusa, ca wrote:
>
> snip...
>
> > I purchased a 3 lb tub of the FRESH *4 oz ovaline mozzarella
> > ($(12.00). * *As soon as I got home I opened the tub and took out a
> > ball and sliced it into 1/4 inch slices, put it on a plate, sliced up
> > a ripe tomato, poured over a small amount of olive oil and a little
> > bit of kosher salt, let it sit for maybe 5 minutes (I couldn't wait).
> > It was a wonderful (almost caprese salad, no basil) salad. *I plan on
> > making another road trip soon.

> > harriet& *critters in hot azusa.

> We just came home from a road trip, but the only thing I bought in a
> supermarket was whoopie pies. I should have looked for horseradish,
> because we can't find good horseradish here in Louisiana.
>
> We went to Ohio for a picnic with friends, then to Pennsylvania to visit
> friends and family. *In PA, I had cheesesteaks and Italian sandwiches,
> more than once. *Gasoline was between $2.35 and $2.69, people do not
> know how to merge into traffic, and the rain in Tennessee was harsh. *
> Tennessee is still my favorite state, if it didn't get so cold, I would
> move there. *I am anti-snow.
>
> I was walking and talking in my sleep last night, I thought I was in
> someone else's house. *I was amazed that they *had a floor rug just like
> mine. *I have to laugh at myself. *It's good to me home!
>
> Becca

were you looking for the horseradish root or the stuff in a jar. if
it's the stuff in a jar look for the Atomic Horseradish label; this
will clear out everything!

gasoline, here in socal, hasn't been that low in at least a year. i
just paid $3.25/gallon (premium), as i drive an old caddy.

harriet & critters
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2010 7:26 PM, critters & me in azusa, ca wrote:
> were you looking for the horseradish root or the stuff in a jar. if
> it's the stuff in a jar look for the Atomic Horseradish label; this
> will clear out everything!
>
> gasoline, here in socal, hasn't been that low in at least a year. i
> just paid $3.25/gallon (premium), as i drive an old caddy.
>
> harriet& critters

Hah, maybe the horseradish would cure me. Walking in my sleep doesn't
happen every night, I seem to do it when I am tired. My new husband is
learning to ignore me, in a short amount of time I will wake myself up,
then I go right back to bed.

Becca