Leo Scanlon

Default Do you take cooking items on trips?

When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.

Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

Leo
Nathalie Chiva

Leo Scanlon a écrit :

> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
>
> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks in the summer.
Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting board, a full peppermill, 2 kitchen
towels, 3 of those clips you use to close food bags, a very small food
processor (the one people use for baby food), a wine cooling thingy.
I don't want to be chopping onions on a plate with a table knife like I
had to do once...

Nathalie in Switzerland

MrAoD

Nathalie Chiva writes:

>Leo Scanlon a écrit :
>
>> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
>> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
>> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
>> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
>> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
>> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
>>
>> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

>I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks in the summer.
>Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting board, a full peppermill, 2 kitchen
>towels, 3 of those clips you use to close food bags, a very small food
>processor (the one people use for baby food), a wine cooling thingy.
>I don't want to be chopping onions on a plate with a table knife like I
>had to do once...

Two chef's knives (in case anyone wants to help me with prep), one boning
knife, two filleting knives (clean the catch, hand the dull one off to the
helper for sharpening), paring knife, sharpener, KitchenAid stand mixer,
mandoline, mixed kit of herbs, spices and oils (try using empty 750ml wine
bottles for EVOO, splits for specialty oils like walnut), and a few other
items. This is for stays of a week or longer.

Of course we usually vacation with another family or two and their kids.

We usually vacation on the Outer Banks of NC, about a 5 hour trip. Lately I've
been prepping a meal that can go in the oven when we arrive (3-4pm) and be
ready when everyone else shows up. Last year it was a half a pork loin roast
marinated in soy, ginger, garlic, pepper, green onion and sesame oil.
Marinated it 36 hours in the fridge and then froze it. It thawed on the trip
down and was ready for the oven when we got there.

Marc

PENMART01

>(MrAoD) writes:
>
>Nathalie Chiva writes:
>
>>Leo Scanlon a écrit :
>>
>>> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
>>> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
>>> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
>>> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
>>> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
>>> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
>>>
>>> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

>>I have a "travel kit" I take when we rent a house 2 weeks in the summer.
>>Kitchen scissors, 2 knives, 1 cutting board, a full peppermill, 2 kitchen
>>towels, 3 of those clips you use to close food bags, a very small food
>>processor (the one people use for baby food), a wine cooling thingy.
>>I don't want to be chopping onions on a plate with a table knife like I
>>had to do once...

If you're Italian you could use the toilet seat lid for a cutting board? LOL

Many moons ago I did a lot of cross country driving (for business and
pleasure), I never liked to fly. I still have my traveling kit all packed and
ready to go; 20qt thermos ice chest (just the right size and not so big the
motels won't complain about the ice), plastic electric percolator, cheapo
eating utensils (spoons, forks, gas station steak knives), utility knife,
tongs, spatula, can opener, roll of heavy duty aluminum foil, a bottle dish
liquid,and my trusty $2 grill. When traveling I rarely ate in restaurants,
wasn't worth the risk ruining my trip contracting a case of the shits. Each
day I'd plan a stop in a larger town for a stupidmarket spree, where I'd stock
up on a day's worth of vittles; java grounds, canned soda, juices, milk,
cereal, muffins, bread/rolls, fresh fruit, couple onions n' potatoes, and
whatever meat looked good... perhaps a nice steak or a couple pork chops,
sometimes I'd even lower my standards and get a package of mystery ground for a
giant burger... and whatever else in the aisles attracted my attention... and
I'd make sure my charcoal supply was sufficient (most every stupid market
carries briquettes all year). I'd usually begin driving before sun up so I'd
stop at a Super 8 early enough to prepare dinner... never found a Super 8 yet
didn't have a grassy spot where they'd permit me to light my grill. One of my
favorites was to make up a foil packet containing sliced spuds n' onyuns, s n'
p, and a pat of butter... when it was near ready I'd slap on a steak or
whatever was my special of the day... and often I'd pick up the fixin's for a
nice salad too. Much better than eating fast food crap or at some diner where
chances are they'll treat you to a case of the runs.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Rodney Myrvaagnes

>Leo Scanlon a écrit :
>
>> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
>> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
>> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
>> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
>> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
>> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
>>
>> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

Since we vacation on our sailboat, most of the implements stay aboard.
There are two good knives, paring and a 6" slicing knife (Heinkels)
that I can chop with but takes up less space.

Others include a pepper mill, oysterknife, non-stick skillet, Steaming
pot for lobster.

Cooking on a two-burner gimbaled propane stove is really roughing it.

OTOH, at Thanksgiving, I take a cloth tool roll full of knives, along
with whatever I think I might want. With a rental car, we don't have
to travel light.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

Smoking in a bar is like peeing in a punchbowl.

Sam D.

"Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote in message

> Since we vacation on our sailboat, most of the implements stay aboard.
> There are two good knives, paring and a 6" slicing knife (Heinkels)
> that I can chop with but takes up less space.
>
> Others include a pepper mill, oysterknife, non-stick skillet, Steaming
> pot for lobster.
>
> Cooking on a two-burner gimbaled propane stove is really roughing it.

Ditto for me. I was actually surprised by how much can be accomplished
aboard with just a 2-burner alcohol stove, a Magma propane bbq and a French
press which is indispensible first thing in the morning.

Martin Golding

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 09:58:21 +0000, Leo Scanlon wrote:

> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we usually
> stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast for us.
> Having been burned enough times with crummy provided implements, I take
> along a few supplies of my own. This generally includes a chef's knife, a
> nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's spices: lemon pepper, oregano,
> basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

We generally impose on friends. We used to pack a huge nonstick pan,
but we've bought everybody one, so we can save the space. We take our
ricer, to make potatoes and spaetzle for the carbers and riced cauliflower
for us. A couple of Penzey's curries (usually vindaloo and balti),
sometimes their jerk. We'll usually pick up a good bottle of olive
oil at a local market. They have most ordinary stuff on hand.

The up side is that everybody is really glad to have us. The down
side is that for us, the rumors of great restaurants in, for instance,
San Diego, are only rumors.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 |

Leo Scanlon > wrote:
> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.

> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?

With all the camera equipment and my laptop in tow when I travel,
I wouldn't have room to pack any cooking implements. Besides, one
of the key reasons why I travel is to get away from doing things,
such as cooking, that I can do at home. I prefer to eat out at local
restaurants when I travel.
Jessica Vincent

"Leo Scanlon" > wrote in message
> When my wife and I take a trip that's longer than a day or so, we
> usually stay in a place with a kitchen, so I can do at least breakfast
> for us. Having been burned enough times with crummy provided
> implements, I take along a few supplies of my own. This generally
> includes a chef's knife, a nonstick fry pan, salt, and some Pensey's
> spices: lemon pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and Brady Street.
>

> Does anyone else do this? If so, what do you pack?
>
> Leo

The first time we stayed in a place with a kitchen I just brought along
foodstuff, hebs and spices. Ha, wrong....fully equiped kitchen my arse. I
think there was a percolator, a sauce pan, a frying pan, a spatula, a $0.49
paring knife dishes and eating utensils.

Trips of that nature since have including packing at least a stockpot,
chef's knife, grater, whisk, measuring cups/spoons, peppermill, mixing bowl
or two, peeler, and cocktail shaker.

Jessica