Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I'm ready for Halloween!

Must keep my eye out for good sales after Halloween for battery operated
things. And no, Sheldon, not that! I had a lot of light up crystal balls,
pumpkins, etc. but over the years they quit working. Either it is the light
that is out or they take some weird kind of battery that I don't have. So I
have far less than I used to. And my electric cauldron is broken. I did
get two strobe lights this year that I will put under the cherry tree.
Daughter put tinselly garland all through the tree.

Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!

Daughter has set up a cute little display by the door of her Halloween
stuffed animals and a purple feather boa.

I tasted the all fruit Fruit By The Foot. Tastes just like the regular
stuff. Very good! They are full sized. Depending on how many kids we get,
we will likely have enough to give each one two or three. The sky looks a
bit iffy. Might rain and is supposed to be cold. So far no kids but it is
a bit early.

Will be having mashed potatoes and meatloaf for dinner. I don't usually do
a plated meal on Halloween because it seems as soon as I sit down to eat the
kids start coming. I usually just make a sandwich but I don't really like
sandwiches. So I will plate up and hope for the best.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
> spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
> black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!

House? You just described my living room.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/31/2011 8:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Must keep my eye out for good sales after Halloween for battery operated
> things. And no, Sheldon, not that! I had a lot of light up crystal balls,
> pumpkins, etc. but over the years they quit working. Either it is the light
> that is out or they take some weird kind of battery that I don't have. So I
> have far less than I used to. And my electric cauldron is broken. I did
> get two strobe lights this year that I will put under the cherry tree.
> Daughter put tinselly garland all through the tree.
>
> Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
> spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
> black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!
>
> Daughter has set up a cute little display by the door of her Halloween
> stuffed animals and a purple feather boa.
>
> I tasted the all fruit Fruit By The Foot. Tastes just like the regular
> stuff. Very good! They are full sized. Depending on how many kids we get,
> we will likely have enough to give each one two or three. The sky looks a
> bit iffy. Might rain and is supposed to be cold. So far no kids but it is
> a bit early.
>
> Will be having mashed potatoes and meatloaf for dinner. I don't usually do
> a plated meal on Halloween because it seems as soon as I sit down to eat the
> kids start coming. I usually just make a sandwich but I don't really like
> sandwiches. So I will plate up and hope for the best.

It's after 8:30 here now, and not a single costumed lil won came by. I
used to decorate but haven't in a few years. The time just gets past me
and then it's too late. Same for Christmas decorations. I have a whole
room that I use for storage and a lot of it is boxes of decorations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

>> Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
>> spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
>> black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!

> House? You just described my living room.

Heh. Well I do have Terminex. Gave me a laugh when they stuck a note on my
door the other day that they sprayed for spiders.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 10/31/2011 8:01 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Must keep my eye out for good sales after Halloween for battery operated
>> things. And no, Sheldon, not that! I had a lot of light up crystal
>> balls,
>> pumpkins, etc. but over the years they quit working. Either it is the
>> light
>> that is out or they take some weird kind of battery that I don't have.
>> So I
>> have far less than I used to. And my electric cauldron is broken. I did
>> get two strobe lights this year that I will put under the cherry tree.
>> Daughter put tinselly garland all through the tree.
>>
>> Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
>> spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
>> black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!
>>
>> Daughter has set up a cute little display by the door of her Halloween
>> stuffed animals and a purple feather boa.
>>
>> I tasted the all fruit Fruit By The Foot. Tastes just like the regular
>> stuff. Very good! They are full sized. Depending on how many kids we
>> get,
>> we will likely have enough to give each one two or three. The sky looks
>> bit iffy. Might rain and is supposed to be cold. So far no kids but it
>> is
>> a bit early.
>>
>> Will be having mashed potatoes and meatloaf for dinner. I don't usually
>> do
>> a plated meal on Halloween because it seems as soon as I sit down to eat
>> the
>> kids start coming. I usually just make a sandwich but I don't really
>> like
>> sandwiches. So I will plate up and hope for the best.
>>

> It's after 8:30 here now, and not a single costumed lil won came by. I
> used to decorate but haven't in a few years. The time just gets past me
> and then it's too late. Same for Christmas decorations. I have a whole
> room that I use for storage and a lot of it is boxes of decorations.

We didn't decorate last year but now I can't remember why. Either daughter
was sick or I was sick or we maybe had a lot of rain and wind. Odd, this
year no big wind storm. It is typical for us to get one or two after we put
the webs up.

We are not doing a big Christmas tree this year so I decided to go all out
for Halloween. I used to spend many hours decorating the trees that line
our yard until the teens started taking the stuff down and I was finding it
all over the block. Last year someone threw our green lights into the park
across the street. And the year before that they stole the extension cord
leading to the lights. My mom said putting up decorations is just an
invitation for people to mess with them. I just do not get that. It's not
your stuff! Don't touch it! We will put up lights. I got some multi
colored ones on clearance after Christmas. Will either do those or the
green ones again. Actually the green ones looked quite nice. Not sure if I
will put lights in the windows in here. Cats might mess with them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> This is a life list experience I love sharing!
>
> Mom, aside from being a gourmet chef, being an artist and photographer,
> carved a pumpkin, candle lit it up in the dark and took a photo (slide) of
> it. On Halloween night she put a slide projector on the dining room table,
> pulled down the window shade in the living room picture window and
> projected her pumpkin slide onto it.
>
> For blocks you could see a six foot Halloween pumpkin at our house. I
> warned Mom that it was just asking to be egg'd, which didn't happen.
>
> It was a beautiful sight!!!
>
> Mom was cool!!!

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Must keep my eye out for good sales after Halloween for battery operated
> things. And no, Sheldon, not that! I had a lot of light up crystal
> balls, pumpkins, etc. but over the years they quit working. Either it is
> the light that is out or they take some weird kind of battery that I don't
> have. So I have far less than I used to. And my electric cauldron is
> broken. I did get two strobe lights this year that I will put under the
> cherry tree. Daughter put tinselly garland all through the tree.
>
> Our house and the trees surrounding it are wrapped in spider webs, giant
> spiders and bats. Black cats by the door and of course we have our real
> black cat just waiting to see the kids. Our cats love kids!

Our cats love kids too, and two of them (both black lol) sat watching by the
window because we had the curtains drawn back. No trick-or-treaters
though...it's always a crapshoot whether or not any kids will want to cross
the road to get here No sidewalk on our side :-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 09:43:16 -0400, "news" > wrote:

> Our cats love kids too, and two of them (both black lol) sat watching by the
> window because we had the curtains drawn back. No trick-or-treaters
> though...it's always a crapshoot whether or not any kids will want to cross
> the road to get here No sidewalk on our side :-(

Light night here too. 50-75 kids, who started late, ended early and
came in big bunches with long, dry periods in between. Still have
most of a $10 bag of candy left and I don't want to eat that stuff.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.