Old 22-10-2012, 12:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Are you ready for Halloween?

We usually go all out with the decorating but I just didn't feel like doing
it this year. Especially since after that long dry spell we are now having
a lot of rain.

Last year, Angela was envious of the orange spider webs that the neighbors
had. We just had the plain white. Of course I couldn't find any until
after Halloween and they were marked down quite a bit. We bought purple,
orange and green. And apparently far too many!

I decided to put up some of the decorations after Angela said she didn't
want to. But I did make her put the little pumpkins that she wanted out on
the front step.

I only used one bag of the purple web. It really did stretch quite a long
ways. And I put up all of the huge spiders that we have bought over the
years. I also put up the ghost and pumpkin lights, the black cats by the
door and the bats and the one sparkly purple hanging spider on the Rhodie by
the door. I do have some battery operated things that I may put out on
Halloween night. Or I may not, depending on my mood.

We opted for candy this year since we really have no use for toys any more.
And the last couple of years we didn't get as many kids as we have in the
past. So I wanted to buy something I could eat in case I had hypos. I
bought the same Twizzlers (at least I think they're the same) as I ODed on
last year when I bought them after Halloween. I had a hypo at the dance
studio and wound up eating far too many.

Angela sent her dad a Halloween package and we opened the Twizzlers and put
some in. Then I got into them. They were beyond horrible! I just hope the
kids like them because I sure did not. Not even the plain red ones. There
are some super sour ones in there. Perhaps they damaged my taste buds.
So... No worries about me getting into them and eating them. And once of
Angela's teachers asked that if we had any leftover candy to give it to her.
She took over for another teacher last year and much to our dismay, he was
in the habit of giving out candy to people all the time. He even offered it
to us on parent's night. Angela said he ate quite a lot of it himself. So
the students in this class are accustomed to getting treats. And she said
she could not afford to give out candy like the prior teacher did. So if we
do have any left, I will send it in to her.

I do not have a special meal planned this year. I usually only plan to make
something quick to fix and eat but that is less of a problem for me now that
Angela has taken over passing out the treats. I do have some Halloween
patterned paper plates and some black plastic flatware. That is our
tradition. And I bought new toy mice for Bali and Jazzy. I had better buy
a new package of dog treats too. Angela likes to keep dog treats by the
door although I don't think we have had any dogs come by here. When we
lived in military housing it was common for people to walk their dogs on
Halloween and they would get treats too.

So do you have anything special planned at your house?

Old 22-10-2012, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

We are having a party. My son's girlfriend decided that Oct 31st was a
good day for an engagement party as it is the "anniversary" of their
first date. I am leaving the decorating to them. Actually, I am leaving
pretty much all of it to them, lol. Their biggest hurdle will be
removing my dead car from the enclosed carport where they intend holding
the party - at least the hired tables and chairs etc. Problem is, my son
has half dismantled my car, giving bits away to mates and there are
parts pretty much everywhere. He hasn't even rung anyone to come and
pick it up. My house isn't big enough to hold a party inside.

Old 22-10-2012, 01:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

No, we don't do the candy thing anymore. We used to give the neighborhood
kids 5.00 each for the past few years, but now we're down to 3 teenagers who
drive, so won't do anything. Most of the kids, tweens, etc. go to private
parties now.

Cheri

Old 22-10-2012, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

When we lived on base and in developments I went all out with the
decorating . Hubby would wear a costume and sit outside and give out candy
and scare a few kids in the process. We now live out in the middle of the
desert where most property is 5 acres or more...and not street
lights...actually we have no streets just bumpy dirt roads. so don't get any
witches or goblins knocking at our door anymore...I always have a bag of
candy just in case...and hubby will take it to work with him to share .

Old 22-10-2012, 05:03 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Old 22-10-2012, 05:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Cheri

Old 22-10-2012, 07:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Have a great trip Nick, and behave or Jun will throttle you. ;-)

Thanks, Cheri. You know who's the boss, eh? We'll be visiting our ranch,
family and friends, with side jaunts to Laos and Burma. Should be back the
end of January.

Old 22-10-2012, 08:15 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
We are having a party. My son's girlfriend decided that Oct 31st was a
good day for an engagement party as it is the "anniversary" of their first
date. I am leaving the decorating to them. Actually, I am leaving pretty
much all of it to them, lol. Their biggest hurdle will be removing my dead
car from the enclosed carport where they intend holding the party - at
least the hired tables and chairs etc. Problem is, my son has half
dismantled my car, giving bits away to mates and there are parts pretty
much everywhere. He hasn't even rung anyone to come and pick it up. My
house isn't big enough to hold a party inside.

Well the car thing sounds like no fun. And our house isn't big enough for a
party either. That's why we do parties elsewhere.

Old 22-10-2012, 08:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I'd go broke if I did that! I lost track of how many kids we had last year
but it was at least 50. Probably a lot more. When we first moved here
there were around 200. But with the economy being so bad, most of the
families who live around here have had to move into apartments. And the
many of the kids who do come in are driven here by their parents. I think
they remember our house because we usually do go all out with the
decorations. I also think the trend here is more going to parties and such.
More and more businesses are doing things.

Old 22-10-2012, 08:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Jacquie" wrote in message
m...

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Yes! They didn't seem to do that on Cape Cod or in CA, but in NY it was
warm and I guess because we all lived in 3 story apartment buildings, we set
up things outside so that the kids didn't have to do all the stairs. They
really went all out with the decorations and people played the spooky music.
We'd make our dinner and sit outside.

I tried to do that here. I did actually do it one year and it was warm
enough to do it. But often it is just too cold to do that and this year is
going to be one of those years. Much easier for us to be able to sit
outside than to have to keep answering the door. They always seem to come
when I decide to use the bathroom or something.

Old 22-10-2012, 08:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Old 22-10-2012, 08:33 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

Old 22-10-2012, 10:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age. The
only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't have
it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly because
she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to buy a new
car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old enough to
drive.

Old 22-10-2012, 10:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age.
The only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't
have it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly
because she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to
buy a new car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old
enough to drive.

LMAO, remembering when the 'tooth fairy' used to leave a nickel. Now, it's
what? $3?

Old 22-10-2012, 11:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:
[ . . . . ]
So do you have anything special planned at your house?

I plan to be on a plane, flying to Thailand (we leave on the 30th).

Ah! Nice!

Poifect! My daughter will be taking the 10, 9, 8 and 6 year old
trick-or-treating, so there'll be no one home. ;-)

No point in Angela even going, even though they do still go at her age.
The only thing she has ever gotten on this block was candy and she can't
have it. So... I sent her a card with $5 in it which was kind of silly
because she rarely spends money either. She will likely have enough to
buy a new car or at least a very slightly used one by the time she is old
enough to drive.

LMAO, remembering when the 'tooth fairy' used to leave a nickel. Now, it's
what? $3?

Oh man! I hate those stupid kid's shows. Angela watched that one called
Dragon Tails. And in it the dragon lost a tooth and the tooth fairy gave
him a flower. So she was all set on getting a flower for her first lost
tooth. I tried to tell her that only dragons got flowers and humans got
money. She didn't believe this and said that money was soooo impersonal and
certainly the tooth fairy wouldn't do that to her! She used to actually get
angry when people sent her money. She did know that money could buy things
but on some level she wasn't understanding how it worked. She was far older
than she should have been before she figured that out and not for the lack
of trying on *my* part!

So I went to the dollar store while she was in school and got her a little
flower arrangement. She also got some small stuffed animals, a Christmas
ornament, some earrings, and I can't remember what all else. I always kept
one or two things around just in case. Most of what I gave her cost less
than $3.00 but the earrings were much more. Those were an emergency
purchase when I realized that she had 4 teeth loose at once. I got them
from the flower shop that is owned by her friend's mother. I do try to buy
things from her when I can because business has been bad.

Then at some point she began comparing notes with the other kids and then
began complaining that *they* got money while she got actual gifts. I think
by then she was figuring things out. She had only one tooth left to lose by
then and I gave her money. She was not happy about that and then accused
*me* of leaving the money. She did lose all of her teeth early. I am
pretty sure she had all of her permanent ones in by about age 10. And I
think she might already have impacted wisdom teeth. She has been
complaining of pain and swelling in that area. Guess we'll find out on
Friday when we see the dentist.