Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beans with shorter cooking time

I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
tins of baked beans.

The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).

Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john east" > wrote in message
> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
> tins of baked beans.
>
> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
> Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>
> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

It would really depend on how fresh the beans are. Your best bet would be
not to buy bulk beans. Instead, buy them in a bag with a far off expiration
or best by date. Soak them overnight, then drain, add fresh water and cook.
If they are very fresh they should cook in about 2 hours. Also, the smaller
the bean, the faster they will cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"john east" wrote:

>I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
>tins of baked beans.
>
>The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
>Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>
>Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
>have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
>cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

Why does it matter... do you sit there the whole time watching them
soak and cook. Normal people would do something productive, like
laundry, clean their terlit, dust and vacuum... you could masturbate
while you wait. You're welcome.

This is obviously a troll, or he'd not know all that bean
nomenclature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "john east" wrote:
>> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those
>> found in tins of baked beans.
>>
>> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot,
>> Blackeye, Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>>
>> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is
>> likely to have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time.
>> Since the long cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience.
>> Thanks.

> Why does it matter... do you sit there the whole time watching them
> soak and cook. Normal people would do something productive, like
> laundry, clean their terlit, dust and vacuum...
> *you could masturbate while you wait*. You're welcome.
>
> This is obviously a troll, or he'd not know all that bean
> nomenclature.

http://youtu.be/NtSgWZbL_kE Just put it on loop. HTH :-)

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> "john east" wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those
>>> found in tins of baked beans.
>>>
>>> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot,
>>> Blackeye, Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>>>
>>> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is
>>> likely to have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time.
>>> Since the long cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience.
>>> Thanks.

There's a way to quick soak beans if you failed to give them an overnight
soak.
Add 6 to 8 Cups water to 1 pound dried beans. Bring to a boil; cover
and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand one hour.
That's from Southern Living 1988 Annual Recipes. They also mention that
for overnight bean soaking that the pot should be placed somewhere cool or
the beans will sour. Just one more thing Moma didn't tell you. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote in message ...

>> "john east" wrote:
>>> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those
>>> found in tins of baked beans.
>>>
>>> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot,
>>> Blackeye, Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>>>
>>> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is
>>> likely to have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time.
>>> Since the long cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience.
>>> Thanks.

There's a way to quick soak beans if you failed to give them an overnight
soak.
Add 6 to 8 Cups water to 1 pound dried beans. Bring to a boil; cover
and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand one hour.
That's from Southern Living 1988 Annual Recipes. They also mention that
for overnight bean soaking that the pot should be placed somewhere cool or
the beans will sour. Just one more thing Moma didn't tell you. Polly

- - - - - - - - - - -
Momma didn't tell me that the pot should be placed somewhere cool for
overnight bean soaking. On the other hand, I have soaked various beans
overnight--and so did my mother--and none of them have turned sour. Maybe
my house would be defined as "cool." ;o)

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

john east wrote:

> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
> tins of baked beans.

"Great Northern"? small white bean? I prefer the larger white beans
but the very small ones cook the quickest iirc.

> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
> Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>
> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

IMO you don't need to soak beans of any sort. And most beans will be
ready to eat after 45 minutes to 1 hour of cooking.

And if you feel you must soak, then try bringing the beans to a roiling
boil for 2 - 3 minutes take off the heat and let sit for another 5
minutes and then drain and throw away that water, replace them to cook
in stock or fresh water, bring to a boil and then turn down and simmer
till done. The very small white beans cook some what more quickly 30 -
45 minutes. And remember they continue to cook in their residual heat
even after taking off the stove. Garbonzoes take the longest iirc, and
im very fond of a pot of black eyed peas, quickly cooked in water and
seasoned with just salt and a bit of cayenne. Though several times a
year i go whole hog (well...ok ..just their "hocks") and spend a couple
of hours making hopping john and corn bred to go with

When the beans are with in 15 minutes of being done that is the time to
start adding veggies, first onions & carrots then any more delicate
veggies like celery, mushrooms & etc. tomatoes can cook for a much
longer time though i do like to blanch and peel them before adding to
the pot.

By the time the hour is up you will have a good bean soup (better of
course if one starts with a good veggie stock) with the beans still al
dente. I really don't like a mushy too soft, over cooked bean. And
when im making soup i make enough to last for several days and further
warming more fully cooks the beans.

On a personal note, i am not a vegetarian, but due to a bit of laziness
on my part i have become fond of cooking beans and veggies separately
from any meat i might separately cook and add to the individual bowls of
soup just before serving. Just long enough to heat through any bit of
meat i put in the soup. Obviously this don't apply to certain dish's
like beef stew or the Flemish carbonade de boeuf. Same with chicken
soup or stew.

But other wise i have become a complete convert to vegetarian stocks &
soups often only garnishing the individual bowels with a bit of animal
flesh. Im particularly fond of ground chicken & shrimp 'meat balls'
for this purpose. They can even be poached in the soup just before
serving to very good effect, or cooked separately, steamed, sauted or
grilled (on skewers) and then added to the soup.

If any of the above makes any sense to you feel free to ask me for my
thoughts on seasonings, herbs and spices, for the beans ...and if your
not already familiar with oyster mushrooms.....

Seasonings can turn a rather bland pot of beans cooked in plain water
into a gorumet delight. Though some will argue that all that is needed
is a bit of salt.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 2:46*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> [...]

> like beef stew or the Flemish carbonade de boeuf. *Same with chicken
> soup or stew.
>
> But other wise i have become a complete convert to vegetarian stocks &
> soups often only garnishing the individual bowels with a bit of animal
> flesh. *Im particularly fond of *ground chicken & shrimp 'meat balls'
> for this purpose. *They can even be poached in the soup just before
> serving to very good effect, or cooked separately, steamed, sauted or
> grilled (on skewers) *and then added to the soup.
>
> If any of the above makes any sense to you feel free to ask me for my
> thoughts on seasonings, herbs and spices, for the beans ...and if your
> not already familiar with oyster mushrooms.....
>
> Seasonings can turn a *rather bland pot of beans cooked in plain water
> into a gorumet delight. *Though some will argue that all that is needed

Am I the only one who uses a pressure cooker? I can have beans on the
table in less than an hour from when I start cooking.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly Esther wrote:

> There's a way to quick soak beans if you failed to give them an
> overnight soak.
> Add 6 to 8 Cups water to 1 pound dried beans. Bring to a boil; cover
> and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand one hour.
> That's from Southern Living 1988 Annual Recipes. They also mention
> that for overnight bean soaking that the pot should be placed somewhere
> cool or the beans will sour. Just one more thing Moma didn't tell you.
> Polly

I think the long (24 hour) pre-soak encourages the process of
fermentation. Pre-soaked bean dish's don't keep as long as unsoaked
beans do. Even when frozen i think the pre-soaking adds to a loss in
flavour and durability (?)_ of the foods ability to withstand spoilage
or just entropy in general, the pre-soaking encourages the beans entropy

But i have noticed in the past that pre-soaked beans kept only a couple
of days in the refrigerator will go off, & acquire that tell tale tart,
lemony flavour i associate with the beginnings of fermentation.

And the unsoaked beans, minimally cooked, stay fresh tasting longer, 4 -
5 days. And freeze up much better for long term storage.

Also, beans cooked in the Italian manner with just enough water to
barely cover and which is absorbed and evaporated leaving one with a pot
of cooked but dry beans will keep better and take to various uses of
them better than the beans cooked and kept in their cooking liquid.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 24, 1:46*pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
> john east wrote:
> > I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
> > tins of baked beans.

> "Great Northern"? small white bean? *I prefer the larger *white beans
> but the very small ones cook the quickest iirc.
>

> > The list of available beans from my supplier is: * Haricot, Blackeye,
> > Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).

> > Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> > have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> > cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. * *Thanks.

> IMO you don't need to soak beans of any sort. *And most beans will be
> ready to eat after 45 minutes to 1 hour of cooking.
>

> JL

I've never soaked a bean in my nor did my mother. I don't understand
the concept, some will argue it makes more 'tender' bean, I don't eat
tough beans. One hour cooking is about right, the soaking is a waste
of time and water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:

> On Oct 24, 2:46�pm, "M. JL Esq." wrote:
>

>>Seasonings can turn a �rather bland pot of beans cooked in plain water
>>into a gorumet delight. �Though some will argue that all that is needed
>>is a bit of salt.

> Am I the only one who uses a pressure cooker? I can have beans on the
> table in less than an hour from when I start cooking.
>
> Jerry

The ER was fond of hers, i have used them on a number of occasions and
if the situation warranted it i would have no hesitation n using the
pressure cooker but other wise i enjoy the cooking process enough to not
want the efficiency, time savings or hermetic quality of the pressure
cooker. I like to taste and seasons and other wise fiddle with my food
as it cooks.

THough i often use it for the big holiday dinners, for making the
potatoes in about 5 minutes rather than the 1/2 hour it usually takes.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

> On Oct 24, 1:46�pm, "M. JL Esq." > wrote:
>
>>john east wrote:
>>
>>>I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
>>>tins of baked beans.

>>"Great Northern"? small white bean? �I prefer the larger �white beans
>>but the very small ones cook the quickest iirc.
>>

>>>The list of available beans from my supplier is: � Haricot, Blackeye,
>>>Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).

>>>Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
>>>have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
>>>cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. � �Thanks.

>>IMO you don't need to soak beans of any sort. �And most beans will be
>>ready to eat after 45 minutes to 1 hour of cooking.
>>

>>JL
>>

> I've never soaked a bean in my nor did my mother. I don't understand
> the concept, some will argue it makes more 'tender' bean, I don't eat
> tough beans. One hour cooking is about right, the soaking is a waste
> of time and water.

Im preternaturally lazy and when one day i thought to myself "why
bother" and just tossed the beans in some water and set them to cook and
not only were they better tasting, i thought, but less ....gassy.

I made several comparison experiments and now find the un - soaked beans
preferable to the pre-soaked.
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

john east > wrote:

> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

FWIW, below are links to some charts for soaking and cooking times of
various types of beans, respectively conventionally or in a pressure
cooker. Some beans, like black-eyed ones, do not need soaking.

<http://www.chezbettay.com/pages/basics1/basics_beans1.html>

<http://missvickie.com/howto/beans/howtobeantypes.html>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:06:06 +0100, "john east"
> wrote:

> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
> tins of baked beans.
>
> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
> Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>
> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

With dried beans, the fresher they are - the shorter the cooking time.
If you're inside the USA, look for "Navy" or "small white beans".
Elsewhere, I have no idea what you'd look for.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"john east" > wrote:

> I'm looking for a white bean, fairly similar if possible to those found in
> tins of baked beans.
>
> The list of available beans from my supplier is: Haricot, Blackeye,
> Borletti, cannelini, flageolet, Haricot (Navy).
>
> Can you please advise a novice, which of these beans (if any) is likely to
> have a *shorter* than normal soaking and cooking time. Since the long
> cooking time sometimes makes it an inconvience. Thanks.

IME, black-eye peas (beans, actually), need no soaking and cook quickly
(an hour, maybe).

Don't forget the ham hock.

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> With dried beans, the fresher they are - the shorter the cooking time.
> If you're inside the USA, look for "Navy" or "small white beans".
> Elsewhere, I have no idea what you'd look for.

A year or so ago, I boiled up some limas for yet another version of my
Minestrone soup. I wanted them quick and boiled them. They went away and
left the skins behind. Next time I was forced to read the package
instructions.
Now I can do the quick or long method of preparing them from dry. I'm
proud of myself.
I really didn't think my wife would like them when I cooked them the
first time. I was right. She didn't care for lima skins floating around
in the soup. I'm cooking them better now, and it turns out she likes
them. Who'd a thunk a strictly pinto bean gal would like limas?
I now know the difference between a gentle boil and a simmer with a
cracked lid.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:57:29 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
> > With dried beans, the fresher they are - the shorter the cooking time.
> > If you're inside the USA, look for "Navy" or "small white beans".
> > Elsewhere, I have no idea what you'd look for.

> A year or so ago, I boiled up some limas for yet another version of my
> Minestrone soup. I wanted them quick and boiled them. They went away and
> left the skins behind. Next time I was forced to read the package
> instructions.
> Now I can do the quick or long method of preparing them from dry. I'm
> proud of myself.
> I really didn't think my wife would like them when I cooked them the
> first time. I was right. She didn't care for lima skins floating around
> in the soup. I'm cooking them better now, and it turns out she likes
> them. Who'd a thunk a strictly pinto bean gal would like limas?
> I now know the difference between a gentle boil and a simmer with a
> cracked lid.

Congratulations on increasing your kitchen confidence and expertise,
Leo!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Am I the only one who uses a pressure cooker? I can have beans on the
> table in less than an hour from when I start cooking.

Not the only one. I'll make beans in either the pressure cooker or the
crock pot. Very different cooking times. The crock pot method is less
work if I know the day before I'll want beans. The pressure cooker is
much faster if I decide on beans that day.

For shorter cooking time pick the smallest bean among your options.