Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Ranee and anyone else who has patio or deck gardens and container gardens

There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
composters available.
They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
make great garden soil out of it.

Check it out.

http://naturesfootprintinc.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
>composters available.
>They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
>the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.
>
>I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
>thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
>something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
>is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
>make great garden soil out of it.
>
>Check it out.
>
>http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
slime... they do not compost. With no access to the ground any worms
introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.

I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
gardening. This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
with a 25 year warranty. I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. When I
bought mine it cost $40. Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
bother to stir, it works all by itself.
http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...5-gal_17_1.php
I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
with as I will. Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:
http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...allon_33_2.php
He bought two Earthsavers. I showed him mine before he bought that
stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
Earthsavers. For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 22, 10:03*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> >There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> >composters available.
> >They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> >the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

> >I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> >thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> >something like this. * *I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> >is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> >make great garden soil out of it.

> >Check it out.

> >http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>
> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
> bought mine it cost $40. *Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
> bother to stir, it works all by itself.http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...
> I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
> the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
> screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
> with as I will. *Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
> He bought two Earthsavers. *I showed him mine before he bought that
> stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
> composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
> Earthsavers. *For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
> as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

Sheldon, not everyone has access to acreage like you do. These
earthworm composters are meant for people who live in a city or
neighborhood with limited space. They do work. They are designed to
work very well. Just because you look down your nose at them doesn't
make them bad.

If you bothered to look at the website and read how they work you
might not come off looking uninformed and judgmental.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

and completely wrong to boot, Lee
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Oct 22, 10:03 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> >There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> >composters available.
> >They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> >the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

> >I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> >thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> >something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> >is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> >make great garden soil out of it.

> >Check it out.

> >http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> slime... they do not compost. With no access to the ground any worms
> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>
> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> gardening. This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> with a 25 year warranty. I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. When I
> bought mine it cost $40. Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
> bother to stir, it works all by
> itself.http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...
> I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
> the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
> screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
> with as I will. Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless
> plastic:http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
> He bought two Earthsavers. I showed him mine before he bought that
> stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
> composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
> Earthsavers. For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
> as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

Sheldon, not everyone has access to acreage like you do. These
earthworm composters are meant for people who live in a city or
neighborhood with limited space. They do work. They are designed to
work very well. Just because you look down your nose at them doesn't
make them bad.

If you bothered to look at the website and read how they work you
might not come off looking uninformed and judgmental.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 22, 1:03*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> >There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> >composters available.
> >They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> >the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

> >I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> >thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> >something like this. * *I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> >is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> >make great garden soil out of it.

> >Check it out.

> >http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>
> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
> bought mine it cost $40. *Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
> bother to stir, it works all by itself.http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...
> I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
> the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
> screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
> with as I will. *Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
> He bought two Earthsavers. *I showed him mine before he bought that
> stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
> composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
> Earthsavers. *For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
> as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

Opinionated pricks like you and me can't afford to be wrong very often
without looking stupid. Your batting average is too low to pass. If
mine ever sinks that low, I hope someone tells me.

Jerry
--
Stupidity isn't ignorance. It's not knowing when you're ignorant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:49:15 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Oct 22, 10:03*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> >There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
>> >composters available.
>> >They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
>> >the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

>> >I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
>> >thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
>> >something like this. * *I really like the idea of recycling as much as
>> >is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
>> >make great garden soil out of it.

>> >Check it out.

>> >http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

>> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
>> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
>> slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
>> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>>
>> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
>> gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
>> with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
>> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
>> bought mine it cost $40. *Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
>> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
>> bother to stir, it works all by itself.http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...
>> I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
>> the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
>> screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
>> with as I will. *Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
>> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
>> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
>> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
>> He bought two Earthsavers. *I showed him mine before he bought that
>> stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
>> composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
>> Earthsavers. *For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
>> as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

>Sheldon, not everyone has access to acreage like you do. These
>earthworm composters are meant for people who live in a city or
>neighborhood with limited space.

My composter takes no more space that that thing, maybe even has a
smaller footprint. The main difference is mine give worms and
microbes access to the ground... to survive those organisms must have
free access to the ground.

>They do work. They are designed to
>work very well. Just because you look down your nose at them doesn't
>make them bad.

That type doesn't work at all, it can't compost... it's a garbage
fermenter... it no more composts than the collection bucket one has on
their countertop... that stupid thing will stink and attract vermin is
all.

>If you bothered to look at the website and read how they work you
>might not come off looking uninformed and judgmental.

I did read everything at the web site, the same typical bs as similar
web sites Lots of companys make similar gadgets but none of them
work... they simply rip off those who have more dollars than brain
cells. Any six year old who has fished a pond knows that night
crawlers can live at most a week without access to the ground. All
the organisms that compost are extremely temperature/climate
sensitive, to live they must have free access to the ground and have
enough earth in order to burrow at least ten feet deep... worms are
called night crawlers because they do their business at night when the
surface is cooler. And there are a lot of worms, it's silly to buy
any for composting... did ya know that the weight of all the
earthworms on the planet far supasses the weight of all other living
creatures combined, that's a fact. And it's mostly the various
microbes that compost, the worms eat the microbes and produce castings
(castings are primarily mineral), however the more important benefit
of earthworms is aeration and the protein they supply. The most
important benefit of worms is their place in the food chain... without
worms the highest life form on this planet would be microbes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ImStillMags > wrote:

> There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> composters available.
> They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.
>
> I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> make great garden soil out of it.
>
> Check it out.
>
> http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

I just throw my scraps around the base of my fruit trees
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:37:55 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> I just throw my scraps around the base of my fruit trees

>That's good for breeding fruit flies. They won't
>have to fly so far to find fruit.

It's also a great way to train the rabbits and voles through reward to
eat at your fruit trees, so in times of short food supply they can eat
the tree bark and roots and kill the tree. It's much more
advantageous to first compost the scraps and then strew the compost...
or at least toss those scraps a distance from your trees. One of the
best ways to fertilize a tree is to place a birdfeeder nearby...
thousands of birds will fertilize your tree one poop at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

> Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
> >
> > I just throw my scraps around the base of my fruit trees

> That's good for breeding fruit flies. They won't
> have to fly so far to find fruit.

good luck to them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/10/2011 1:03 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
>> composters available.
>> They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
>> the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.
>>
>> I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
>> thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
>> something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
>> is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
>> make great garden soil out of it.
>>
>> Check it out.
>>
>> http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> slime... they do not compost. With no access to the ground any worms
> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>
> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> gardening. This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> with a 25 year warranty. I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. When I
> bought mine it cost $40. Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
> bother to stir, it works all by itself.
> http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...5-gal_17_1.php

That is the kind I use. Our town was giving them away for free at first
and then sold second units for about $15. I have two of them. I just
throw the garbage on top and once in a while when i need a bit of good
top soil I open it up and dig some out of the bottom.

I don't know why the rotating model should be anymore use to city
dwellers with smaller lots. They take up just as much room.

> I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
> the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
> screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
> with as I will. Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:
> http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...allon_33_2.php
> He bought two Earthsavers. I showed him mine before he bought that
> stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
> composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
> Earthsavers. For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
> as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 22, 1:03*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 22/10/2011 1:03 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > ImStillMags wrote:

> >> There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> >> composters available.
> >> They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> >> the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

> >> I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> >> thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> >> something like this. * *I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> >> is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> >> make great garden soil out of it.

> >> Check it out.

> >>http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> > Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> > composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> > slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
> > introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.

> > I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> > gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> > with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> > it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
> > bought mine it cost $40. *Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
> > stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
> > bother to stir, it works all by itself.
> >http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...

> That is the kind I use. Our town was giving them away for free at first
> and then sold second units for about $15. *I have two of them. I just
> throw the garbage on top and once in a while when i need a bit of good
> top soil I open it up and dig some out of the bottom.
>
> I don't know why the rotating model should be anymore use to city
> dwellers with smaller lots. They take up just as much room.
>
> > I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
> > the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
> > screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
> > with as I will. *Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
> > My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> > didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> > the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:
> >http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
> > He bought two Earthsavers. *I showed him mine before he bought that
> > stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
> > composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
> > Earthsavers. *For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
> > as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

Well, a lot of city dwellers have maybe a balcony or patio and not a
"lot".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:

> I just throw my scraps around the base of my fruit trees

That's good for breeding fruit flies. They won't
have to fly so far to find fruit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:03:19 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 22/10/2011 1:03 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> ImStillMags wrote:
>>>
>>> There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
>>> composters available.
>>> They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
>>> the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.
>>>
>>> I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
>>> thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
>>> something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
>>> is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
>>> make great garden soil out of it.
>>>
>>> Check it out.
>>>
>>> http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

>> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
>> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
>> slime... they do not compost. With no access to the ground any worms
>> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.
>>
>> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
>> gardening. This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
>> with a 25 year warranty. I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
>> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. When I
>> bought mine it cost $40. Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
>> stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
>> bother to stir, it works all by itself.
>> http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...5-gal_17_1.php

>That is the kind I use. Our town was giving them away for free at first
>and then sold second units for about $15. I have two of them. I just
>throw the garbage on top and once in a while when i need a bit of good
>top soil I open it up and dig some out of the bottom.
>
>I don't know why the rotating model should be anymore use to city
>dwellers with smaller lots. They take up just as much room.

Yes, the footprint is the same... in fact many of the tumbler tye have
a larger footprint. I think city people fall for the hype because
they don't have a spot that isn't paved... then they'd best forget
about composting... why would someone with no bare ground want to
compost anyway, just buy a sack of potting soil for their two pot
plants.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:16:59 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Oct 22, 1:03*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> > Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
>> > composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
>> > slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
>> > introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.

>> > I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
>> > gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
>> > with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
>> > it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
>> > bought mine it cost $40. *Wehn I bouhgt it I also ordereded the
>> > stirrers, I never use them, all I do is add more organic matter, never
>> > bother to stir, it works all by itself.
>> >http://www.composters.com/compost-bi...st-bin---85-ga...

>> That is the kind I use. Our town was giving them away for free at first
>> and then sold second units for about $15. *I have two of them. I just
>> throw the garbage on top and once in a while when i need a bit of good
>> top soil I open it up and dig some out of the bottom.
>>
>> I don't know why the rotating model should be anymore use to city
>> dwellers with smaller lots. They take up just as much room.
>>
>> > I don't bother with the bottom doors, in the spring I simply lift up
>> > the entire thing and move it to a new spot (they now offer a bottom
>> > screen, I'd not use it), leaving the mound of compost behind to do
>> > with as I will. *Many of my neighbors after seeing it bought one too.
>> > My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
>> > didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
>> > the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:
>> >http://www.composters.com/compost-tu...w-compost-tumb...
>> > He bought two Earthsavers. *I showed him mine before he bought that
>> > stupid tumbler but his ego wouldn't let him consider my simple
>> > composter... took two years and one day I saw him setting up two
>> > Earthsavers. *For cook-outs he fills his tumbler with ice and uses it
>> > as a $600+ beer cooler. LOL

>Well, a lot of city dwellers have maybe a balcony or patio and not a
>"lot".

Then what would they do with compost... just buy your weed ready made.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 22, 1:53*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:16:59 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>

> > wrote:

> >> That is the kind I use. Our town was giving them away for free at first
> >> and then sold second units for about $15. *I have two of them. I just
> >> throw the garbage on top and once in a while when i need a bit of good
> >> top soil I open it up and dig some out of the bottom.

> >> I don't know why the rotating model should be anymore use to city
> >> dwellers with smaller lots. They take up just as much room.

> >Well, a lot of city dwellers have maybe a balcony or patio and not a
> >"lot".

> Then what would they do with compost... just buy your weed ready made.

Ever seen the pictures of Ranee's "garden"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:35:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> Ever seen the pictures of Ranee's "garden"?

Has she posted any on rfc?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Oct 22, 3:33*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:35:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > Ever seen the pictures of Ranee's "garden"?

> Has she posted any on rfc?
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Yes she has.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:05:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 3:33*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:35:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >
> > > wrote:
> > > Ever seen the pictures of Ranee's "garden"?

> > Has she posted any on rfc?
> >

> Yes she has.

Huh. I managed to miss it then.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Ranee and anyone else who has patio or deck gardens and containergardens...SHOULD HAVE SAID BORON

On Oct 22, 4:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:05:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> > On Oct 22, 3:33 pm, sf > wrote:
> > > On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:35:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

> > > Has she posted any on rfc?

> > Yes she has.

> Huh. *I managed to miss it then.
>
> --
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Well....you know what?.......now that I went back and googled the deck
gardens in RFC.... I found out I was WRONG!!! It was Boron who
posted the pictures of her deck garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:11:46 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Oct 22, 4:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:05:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > Yes she has.

> > Huh. *I managed to miss it then.
> >

> Well....you know what?.......now that I went back and googled the deck
> gardens in RFC.... I found out I was WRONG!!! It was Boron who
> posted the pictures of her deck garden.

Thanks!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 08:44:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
>composters available.
>They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
>the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.
>
>I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
>thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
>something like this. I really like the idea of recycling as much as
>is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
>make great garden soil out of it.
>
>Check it out.
>
>http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

Thanks for thinking of us. I already have a composter drum sans
worms. I think my daughter used the worm kind for several years. I'm
going to ask and see how she liked it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:05:22 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Oct 22, 3:33*pm, sf > wrote:
>> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 14:35:48 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>>
>> > wrote:
>> > Ever seen the pictures of Ranee's "garden"?

>> Has she posted any on rfc?
>>
>> --
>> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

>Yes she has.

I've two composting bins. One is open to the ground on the bottom and
always has lots of worms. The other one is a tumbler-type and off the
ground. No earthworms in the tumbler.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 22, 10:03*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>
> >There is a local company here that makes one of the best worm
> >composters available.
> >They have a whole system of 'circular' gardening, compost, grow, eat
> >the vegetables, compost the waste, grow the veggies.

> >I have no 'interest' in the company, but their product is great and I
> >thought those of you who have container gardens might be able to use
> >something like this. * *I really like the idea of recycling as much as
> >is possible and this is the perfect way to use up kitchen waste and
> >make great garden soil out of it.

> >Check it out.

> >http://naturesfootprintinc.com/

> Without contact with the ground those things are worthless as
> composters... they ferment, they turn organic material into smelly
> slime... they do not compost. *With no access to the ground any worms
> introduced will die, they will dehydrate, cook, freeze, or drown.

In this uncertain world, at least Brokelyn can be counted on to be
wrong. He needs to read the masterwork of the late great Mary
Appelhof, "Worms Eat My Garbage." A simple plywood box with a hinged
lid will work; the worm factory is the Cadillac. You do need to add
shredded newspaper along with your kitchen waste. And the end product
is manure, so you have to consider its salt content when applying to
your plants.

Because dirt contact is NOT needed, you can put your worm composter
almost anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Worms-Eat-Garb.../dp/0942256107

> I've been composting for most of my life, for as long as I've been
> gardening. *This is the best composter I've found, it is the only one
> with a 25 year warranty. *I've been using mine for almost 25 years and
> it's still good as new... but most importantly it works well. *When I
> bought mine it cost $40.

I have two, but they haven't held up very well. Pieces have cracked
off the holes the latches slip into. And I've had to strap them up to
retain their square shape.

For me, the Biostack has been indestructible:

http://how2compost.com/biostack.php
..
> My next door neighbor spent $600 on a giant gear driven drum, not only
> didn't it compost, the plastic gear teeth broke as it couldn't support
> the weight of even a half load, paid for a lot of useless plastic:

The drum composters are too small to be useful. You need around a
cubic yard of material for efficient composting. For a cubic yard of
material to tumble and mix when turned, the drum volume would have to
be three or four cubic yards.

Summer Gardens Tara General Cooking 3 06-06-2011 12:12 AM
Checking out the gardens George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 12 05-06-2011 01:17 AM
Herb gardens Steve B[_9_] General Cooking 84 13-04-2010 06:51 AM
Herbal tea gardens A.E. Baxter Tea 1 09-07-2008 09:17 PM
Tea gardens in Fujian Will[_6_] Tea 3 15-12-2007 01:58 AM