Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Herb gardens

Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
YOU grow and why?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 21, 8:55*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. *Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

I do pots on my deck every year. Rosemary, thyme, oregano, sage,
chives, parsley, lavender, savory, and of course basil when it's warm
enough.

I just put in the herbs I use most. Then I dry some if there is a
huge amount and I'm not keeping up with using them fresh. I find
drying them myself, I have much fresher tasting herbs in the winter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 08:55:41 -0700, "Steve B"
> wrote:

> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?

I don't have enough heat for basil, but if the growing conditions were
right I'd grow it (and cilantro) because I use them in fresh form a
lot. I do grow parsley, rosemary and sage which are used quite often.
I've tried to grow garlic, but it hasn't worked out for me so I just
buy it from the grocer, same with ginger. I have thyme, oregano and
marjoram growing, but it's easier to use dried - so they are more
decorative than useful for me.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf replied to Steve B:

>> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
>> YOU grow and why?
>>

> I don't have enough heat for basil, but if the growing conditions were
> right I'd grow it (and cilantro) because I use them in fresh form a
> lot. I do grow parsley, rosemary and sage which are used quite often.
> I've tried to grow garlic, but it hasn't worked out for me so I just
> buy it from the grocer, same with ginger. I have thyme, oregano and
> marjoram growing, but it's easier to use dried - so they are more
> decorative than useful for me.

I kill silk plants, so I'm amazed that a large planter of thyme and
another of chives are growing without my intervention for two years now.
I've got a rosemary plant that I should probably get in the ground -- we
trim from it so much that it's hard to tell if it's grown. We have a
planter of mint that's trying to make its way back, and we've started
purple sage and chocolate mint. So far, those are still alive. I'll
eventually have to get a raised box area for our rhubarb. I've got it in
three separate large containers and it's growing rapidly.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

Cilantro, because buying it is so expensive and I rarely need the entire
head before the leftover goes bad.
Italian Parsley, because parsley is so important to cooking!
Basil, because fresh basil is delicious and so much cheaper when you
grow it yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 11:55*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. *Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

I have thyme, mint and chives and green onion thingies (I inherited
with the yard, didn't plant myself) that are perennials. I always
plant basil once it warms up.

I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

Kris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

Basil, basil, basil
Oregano
Rosemary
Summer savory
Tarragon
Parsley, Italian
Cilantro
Mint (for tea)

Why? Because I like them for cooking.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

Whatever you would normally use in your cooking, and whatever would grow
well in your zone.

Me?

Basil (because I like it a lot)
Rosemary (because I like it and it grows well)
Thyme (same as above)
Mexican Oregano (ditto)
Dittany (a preferred substitute for regular oregano)
Mexican Marigold (a substitute for tarragon which I can't seem to keep
alive)
Lemon balm (it works in a lot of recipes that require lemony herbs and
does really well)
Catnip (need you ask? <g> The kitty's adore it)
Sage (to be used in limited quantities and it grows well here)
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> I kill silk plants, so I'm amazed that a large planter of thyme and
> another of chives are growing without my intervention for two years now.
> I've got a rosemary plant that I should probably get in the ground -- we
> trim from it so much that it's hard to tell if it's grown. We have a
> planter of mint that's trying to make its way back, and we've started
> purple sage and chocolate mint. So far, those are still alive. I'll
> eventually have to get a raised box area for our rhubarb. I've got it in
> three separate large containers and it's growing rapidly.
>
> --Lin

I have a patch of garlic chives that is a good 20 years old. They freeze
back every winter but spread from seeds, and many of the previous years
bulbs survive in pots and in the ground. I sent some seeds to sf and I
hope they do as well for her. :-) They have thrived on benign neglect...
I just throw some water at them if they look like they are dieing.

Bloom: http://tinyurl.com/ykh7b2h
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 09:57:38 -0700, Lin
> wrote:

> I kill silk plants,

LOL! Now that's a real brown thumb.

>so I'm amazed that a large planter of thyme and
> another of chives are growing without my intervention for two years now.
> I've got a rosemary plant that I should probably get in the ground -- we
> trim from it so much that it's hard to tell if it's grown. We have a
> planter of mint that's trying to make its way back, and we've started
> purple sage and chocolate mint. So far, those are still alive.

Try to find a place in the shade where your mint will have "damp
feet"... under a leaky faucet or near a well with a shade cloth over
it is ideal.

> I'll
> eventually have to get a raised box area for our rhubarb. I've got it in
> three separate large containers and it's growing rapidly.

I love rhubarb! Do you have any artichokes? They probably like my
cold and fog better than your heat... what about a Meyer lemon tree?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> I just throw some water at them if they look like they are dieing.
>
> Bloom: http://tinyurl.com/ykh7b2h

Wow! I need some of your magic water! Mine look nothing like that!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> LOL! Now that's a real brown thumb.

More like black thumb!

> I love rhubarb! Do you have any artichokes? They probably like my
> cold and fog better than your heat... what about a Meyer lemon tree?

No artichokes (other than what we buy from the store or farmers market).
We do like going to Castroville for the Artichoke Festival. Nice drive
and some great food there.

Artichokes are one of those things that I think I *REALLY* want, but
after trimming the sharp points, cooking and then getting a fiddlin' bit
of stuff out of them, I always wonder "why bother?" Castroville is nice
because they've done all the work for us, and if we want to get really
fresh artichokes, they are all over the place for purchase on our way
out of town.

Haven't planted the Meyer lemon yet -- and not sure if we will since
they are pretty abundant around here and somehow we manage to get
freebies from some of Bob's coworkers.

--Lin (should be outside enjoying this fine day)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2010 2:36 PM, Lin wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> I just throw some water at them if they look like they are dieing.
>>
>> Bloom: http://tinyurl.com/ykh7b2h

> Wow! I need some of your magic water! Mine look nothing like that!
>
> --Lin

I've had garlic chives for about fifteen years and they've only bloomed
once. We get enough rain that I haven't had to toss water on them. May
try that just to see them bloom. Mine spread by "bunching" or by the
roots. I have to dig a bunch up and toss them to keep them from taking
over the herb garden.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pinstripe Sniper wrote:

> I usually plant:
>
> basil (top priority!)

Basil is so prevalent here (and inexpensive) that I haven't really
bothered with planting it. I do like getting big, fresh bunches of it
and keep it in a little glass of water on the counter. I love the way
fresh basil smells. I have tried planting when some of them put off
roots in the water, but I wasn't successful in my attempts.

> jalapeno
> habanero

Tried doing some habaneros and anaheim type chiles, but I wasn't very
successful with those either. :-(

>> We have a
>> planter of mint that's trying to make its way back, and we've started
>> purple sage and chocolate mint. So far, those are still alive.

> So you're a fibber about killing the silk plant? :-)

Let's just say that the nursery gave the latter two a good start and I
haven't futzed it up yet! It could happen ...

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
wrote:

> I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
> too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
should always have it growing.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:47:05 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
>wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
>> too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

>Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
>should always have it growing.

Nope, biennial means the plant grows a second season and dies...
parsley really doesn't taste very good the second season because
that's when it tries to produce seed... plant new each year. Parsley
is the only herb I grow, it's the only herb I use nearly every day...
I even use it as a salad green... the other herbs I would use
occasionally are readily available at produce stands or I'd use dried.
I much prefer curly parsley, I think it has a sweeter flavor, and it
just looks more appealing as a garnish. Didya know that parsley
contains the most Vitamin C, more than citrus.

M-W
bi·en·ni·al
adjective
1 : occurring every two years
2 : continuing or lasting for two years; specifically : growing
vegetatively during the first year and fruiting and dying during the
second

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Mar 21, 3:58*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:47:05 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> >wrote:

> >> I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
> >> too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

> >Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
> >should always have it growing.

> Nope, biennial means the plant grows a second season and dies...
> parsley really doesn't taste very good the second season because
> that's when it tries to produce seed... plant new each year. *Parsley
> is the only herb I grow, it's the only herb I use nearly every day...
> I even use it as a salad green... the other herbs I would use
> occasionally are readily available at produce stands or I'd use dried.
> I much prefer curly parsley, I think it has a sweeter flavor, and it
> just looks more appealing as a garnish. *Didya know that parsley
> contains the most Vitamin C, more than citrus.
>
> M-W
> bi en ni al
> adjective
> 1 : occurring every two years
> 2 : continuing or lasting for two years; specifically : growing
> vegetatively during the first year and fruiting and dying during the
> second

I think you missed that point. If you plant parsley one year and
then AGAIN the next, yes it will die the second year after it goes to
seed...but it will reseed itself. Therefore if you plant two years
in a row you always have one set of plants reseeding itself...
therefore you always have parsley. We did that and it worked
great. Parsley always came up every year and we always had 'new'
parsley while the 'old' was reseeding.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lin > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>
> > I just throw some water at them if they look like they are dieing.
> >
> > Bloom: http://tinyurl.com/ykh7b2h

> Wow! I need some of your magic water! Mine look nothing like that!
>
> --Lin

It was a really rainy fall. :-) The blooms are generally a bit less
"full" than that. I took some new pics this past fall after a drought
but have not shrunk or published them yet.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 5:47*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> > I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
> > too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

> Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
> should always have it growing.
>
> --
> Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

I didn't know that! Thanks for the tip.

Kris, who will be buying parsley another year it seems
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> On 3/21/2010 2:36 PM, Lin wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> >> I just throw some water at them if they look like they are dieing.
> >>
> >> Bloom: http://tinyurl.com/ykh7b2h

> > Wow! I need some of your magic water! Mine look nothing like that!
> >
> > --Lin

> I've had garlic chives for about fifteen years and they've only bloomed
> once. We get enough rain that I haven't had to toss water on them. May
> try that just to see them bloom. Mine spread by "bunching" or by the
> roots. I have to dig a bunch up and toss them to keep them from taking
> over the herb garden.

You should try potting the discards instead. Some local
greenhouses/nurseries will trade you other herbs 2 for 1 for yours. I
did that with a bunch of lemon balm once. I just make sure that the
pots are established and healthy so that they will trade with me in the
future. ;-) 2 pots of lemon balm for, say, 1 pot of basil or somesuch
of equal value.

My garlic chives bloom every year, but not always that "pretty". Like I
said, it was a wet fall so I got a few exceptional blooms and pics. :-)

Thanks all for the compliments!

I don't water them a lot, but they do get some. Probably why they do
bloom. They get some South sun, but mostly full sun to the West.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Kris >
> wrote:
>
> > I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
> > too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

> Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
> should always have it growing.

I've only grown Parsley once, and baby swallowtails ate most of it! I
transferred them off of the dill weed over to the parsley. I need to
try planting fennel again as those are a tougher host for those babies.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:10:18 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> If you need to check whether or not your potted herbs need water, or
> your houseplants for that matter, you need one of these babies. You
> can find them at any garden center or on line. I use mine all the
> time, especially for plants
> I don't want to overwater.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor...9209333&sr=8-1

The original probe is called a finger. Stick it in the soil. If the
soil is damp, don't water.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
>brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:47:05 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
>> >should always have it growing.

>> Nope, biennial means the plant grows a second season and dies...
>> parsley really doesn't taste very good the second season because
>> that's when it tries to produce seed... plant new each year. *Parsley
>> is the only herb I grow, it's the only herb I use nearly every day...
>> I even use it as a salad green... the other herbs I would use
>> occasionally are readily available at produce stands or I'd use dried.
>> I much prefer curly parsley, I think it has a sweeter flavor, and it
>> just looks more appealing as a garnish. *Didya know that parsley
>> contains the most Vitamin C, more than citrus.
>>
>> M-W
>> bi en ni al
>> adjective
>> 1 : occurring every two years
>> 2 : continuing or lasting for two years; specifically : growing
>> vegetatively during the first year and fruiting and dying during the
>> second

>I think you missed that point. If you plant parsley one year and
>then AGAIN the next, yes it will die the second year after it goes to
>seed...but it will reseed itself. Therefore if you plant two years
>in a row you always have one set of plants reseeding itself...
>therefore you always have parsley. We did that and it worked
>great. Parsley always came up every year and we always had 'new'
>parsley while the 'old' was reseeding.

I think you missed the point. Second year parsley tastes like crap,
how do you know which to harvest when it's all growing together?
Parsley seed is cheap, it's better to plant new each year. And how
much parsley do you need... I've planted fewer and fewer plants each
year, I'm down to four plants now and no way can I use it all, I give
about half away, it grows very fast, one plant is really enough to
cook for a family, one plant provides like six generous bunches each
week, and they'll replenish in a week. And I pull up the old roots
each spring and cultivate and amend the soil with my own compost, so I
get huge beautiful plants. If your stupidmarket parsley is all in a
bunch with lots of baby parsley stems and weeds then it's just ripped
from a wild patch and could even be all second year growth; bitter and
not much parsley flavor. I harvest my parsley all one stem at a time
and choose only the mature ones, leaving the young stems to keep
growing... only takes a minute to pinch off a good sized fistful. I
use a lot of the the parsley leaves in my salads, I use mainly the
stems in soups and stews... the stems on the parsley I grow is nearly
big as pencils. If I'm going to make the effort to grow parsley I
don't want the parsley patch crap like they sell at stupidmarkets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> Spring is here,

That's debatable - we're going into winter here

> and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?

Essentials (IMO):
Rosemary
Sage
Parsley (pref flat leaf)
chives
Tarragon
Coriander/Cilantro
Thyme

Why? Well, they're simply my favourites, which also all tend to grow easily.

I can't speak of your growing conditions, and whether or not all of the
above would suit in your case.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> Spring is here, and I want to make a raised herb garden. Which herbs would
> YOU grow and why?
>
> Steve

Sometimes I plant purple basil for jelly, but mostly just sweet basil;
parsley is a must; my piddly rosemary plant sucked last summer but I'll
give it a go again, and maybe some them. That'll probably meet my
needs. Parsley is an absolute, though. And basil.
FWIW.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
<snip>
> Catnip (need you ask?<g> The kitty's adore it)

Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), >
> wrote:
>
>> I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
>> too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

> Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
> should always have it growing.

The great thing about Parsley is that it self-propagates itself quite
easily. I have it popping up all over the yard, which suits me just fine.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am amazed at my herb garden. I had thought that the summer heat wave
had toasted a few of the herbs for good. Then we had a hard freeze this
winter that killed the huge basil "bushes" Next thing I know, there is
cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint, dill (from seeds that fell
out of the planter last summer)sage and thyme growing. Where the basil
had been, little baby basil plants are growing up from the roots of the
old plants.

This is truly a miracle!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 17:37:11 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 15:10:18 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>
>> If you need to check whether or not your potted herbs need water, or
>> your houseplants for that matter, you need one of these babies. You
>> can find them at any garden center or on line. I use mine all the
>> time, especially for plants
>> I don't want to overwater.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Indoor-Outdoor...9209333&sr=8-1

>The original probe is called a finger. Stick it in the soil. If the
>soil is damp, don't water.

Great minds think alike.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:20:52 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Next thing I know, there is
> cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint, dill (from seeds that fell
> out of the planter last summer)sage and thyme growing. Where the basil
> had been, little baby basil plants are growing up from the roots of the
> old plants.
>
> This is truly a miracle!

The miracle of Spring!

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 8:20 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> I am amazed at my herb garden. I had thought that the summer heat wave
> had toasted a few of the herbs for good. Then we had a hard freeze this
> winter that killed the huge basil "bushes" Next thing I know, there is
> cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint, dill (from seeds that fell
> out of the planter last summer)sage and thyme growing. Where the basil
> had been, little baby basil plants are growing up from the roots of the
> old plants.
>
> This is truly a miracle!
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Last year was such a garden disaster here in suburban Detroit that I
don't know if I will even bother this year. Probably will give it
half a shot. The only thing I got was some pots of porch basil, and
of that I go too much.

I still have hope that the mints will become sustanable weeds. I
never really cleaned the garden after the squirrels and birds cleaned
me out, so before the first mow I'll try to see if anything looks like
dill or pepper or tomato or fennel or peas or the other stuff I
planted but didn't get. I've had volunteers before. Maybe I'll be
more of a gatherer than a farmer. The grapevine on the back fence
that no human planted still looks good, but only good for leaves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:20:52 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I am amazed at my herb garden. I had thought that the summer heat wave
>had toasted a few of the herbs for good. Then we had a hard freeze this
>winter that killed the huge basil "bushes" Next thing I know, there is
>cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint, dill (from seeds that fell
>out of the planter last summer)sage and thyme growing. Where the basil
>had been, little baby basil plants are growing up from the roots of the
>old plants.

Basil is an annual. Those seedlings are not from the old roots,
they're from your last years basil going to seed. The rosemary
oregano, mint, dill, sage, and thyme are perennials, they come back
each year, it's very unlikely those reseeded.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Catnip (need you ask?<g> The kitty's adore it)

> Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
> cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
> I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.
>
> --
> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
> by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

My favorite catnip story - years ago, in typically crapulous student
housing, I came home to an open window, a torn-open bag of catnip, and
a stray tom passed out under the shelf. He sobered up and we sent him
to home.

Otherwise, I've tried different catnips on different cats. Some go
nuts, some don't care. Ain't no figuring cats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:

>I've tried different catnips on different cats. Some go
> nuts, some don't care. Ain't no figuring cats.

Our little old lady black cat, a stray, adored catnip. We'd put a
handful of fresh leaves and stems in a cardboard box and she'd jump in
and roll around in it for ages, then run up and down the hall yowling
joyfully. Maybe that's why she lived to almost 23. We called it her
"drug box".

We have it growing all over the yard in small patches. I think the
birds carry the seeds. We could never grow it when we had Spooky
because as soon as she went out the door with us she'd roll on the small
plants enough to kill them.

Our current cat isn't much interested in it dry or fresh.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeßus > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> <snip>
> > Catnip (need you ask?<g> The kitty's adore it)

> Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
> cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
> I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.

Most of my cats like it, some just ignore it. I fed a couple of fresh
leaves from the potted catnip I'm wintering over to Ka and Isis today.
They ate them whole. ;-) I scattered some of the bag of dried organic
for the others today and they had about an hour long party... except for
a couple that are not interested in it.

All of the stoner cats prefer the fresh to the dried tho'. I just don't
have that much of it yet as this new pot of catnip is a young plant.
Once I allow it to spread out front (I'll plant it near the water
faucet,), I'll have plenty for all of them.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I am amazed at my herb garden. I had thought that the summer heat wave
> had toasted a few of the herbs for good. Then we had a hard freeze this
> winter that killed the huge basil "bushes" Next thing I know, there is
> cilantro, parsley, rosemary, oregano, mint, dill (from seeds that fell
> out of the planter last summer)sage and thyme growing. Where the basil
> had been, little baby basil plants are growing up from the roots of the
> old plants.
>
> This is truly a miracle!

That is totally cool. :-)
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Jeßus > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 10:41:24 -0700 (PDT), >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'd really like to do an Italian parsley and something else this year,
> >> too. Maybe this thread will inspire me. Thanks for starting it.

> > Parsley is a biennial; so plant it this year, again next year and you
> > should always have it growing.

> The great thing about Parsley is that it self-propagates itself quite
> easily. I have it popping up all over the yard, which suits me just fine.

Watch for a crop of baby swallowtail butterflies, and make sure you
don't kill them! The larvae are unique so easy to identify, and pretty.
They tend to feed mostly on parsley, fennel and dill weed.
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
bulka > wrote:

> On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, Jeßus > wrote:
> > Omelet wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Catnip (need you ask?<g> The kitty's adore it)

> > Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
> > cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
> > I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.
> >
> > --
> > The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
> > by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

> My favorite catnip story - years ago, in typically crapulous student
> housing, I came home to an open window, a torn-open bag of catnip, and
> a stray tom passed out under the shelf. He sobered up and we sent him
> to home.
>
> Otherwise, I've tried different catnips on different cats. Some go
> nuts, some don't care. Ain't no figuring cats.

There has been more than once that I've brought home bags of herbs from
the bulk section at the health food store and had to confiscate the bag
of catnip from the furkids. They make a beeline for the grocery bag if I
set it down on the floor for even a second! If I don't put it in an
enclosed cabinet, they will jump up and find it, rip it open and scatter
it all over the livingroom... <g>

If I'm not growing it for them, I get the organic stuff from Sun Harvest.

That's funny that you found a stoned stray in your apt. <lol>
--
Peace! Om

"Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck." --Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2010 9:59 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> Catnip (need you ask?<g> The kitty's adore it)

>> Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
>> cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
>> I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.

> Most of my cats like it, some just ignore it. I fed a couple of fresh
> leaves from the potted catnip I'm wintering over to Ka and Isis today.
> They ate them whole. ;-) I scattered some of the bag of dried organic
> for the others today and they had about an hour long party... except for
> a couple that are not interested in it.
>
> All of the stoner cats prefer the fresh to the dried tho'. I just don't
> have that much of it yet as this new pot of catnip is a young plant.
> Once I allow it to spread out front (I'll plant it near the water
> faucet,), I'll have plenty for all of them.

Friend of mine had a female Shih Tzu(sp?)years ago. She took the cats
catnip mouse away from it and lay around drooling while chewing on the
catnip, she was totally zonked. He fed her habit by buying her a new
catnip mouse every few months. Only dog I've ever seen that would even
sniff at catnip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2010 10:05 PM, Omelet wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mar 21, 8:17 pm, > wrote:
>>> Omelet wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Funny thing, catnip. I've tried it on both of my cats, and on friend's
>>> cats - not once have I seen them react at all.
>>> I *have* seen plenty of videos showing cats going crazy for it though.
>>>
>>> --
>>> The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
>>> by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw

>> My favorite catnip story - years ago, in typically crapulous student
>> housing, I came home to an open window, a torn-open bag of catnip, and
>> a stray tom passed out under the shelf. He sobered up and we sent him
>> to home.
>>
>> Otherwise, I've tried different catnips on different cats. Some go
>> nuts, some don't care. Ain't no figuring cats.

> There has been more than once that I've brought home bags of herbs from
> the bulk section at the health food store and had to confiscate the bag
> of catnip from the furkids. They make a beeline for the grocery bag if I
> set it down on the floor for even a second! If I don't put it in an
> enclosed cabinet, they will jump up and find it, rip it open and scatter
> it all over the livingroom...<g>
>
> If I'm not growing it for them, I get the organic stuff from Sun Harvest.
>
> That's funny that you found a stoned stray in your apt.<lol>

We found the neighbors kid on our front stoop a few years ago. He was
passed out and reeked of pot. He's 48 years old now and still a stoner
and still lives at home with his widowed mom. At least he stays off our
property now that I've shown him my gun cabinet.

Ranee and anyone else who has patio or deck gardens and container gardens ImStillMags General Cooking 22 23-10-2011 07:21 AM
Summer Gardens Tara General Cooking 3 06-06-2011 12:12 AM
Checking out the gardens George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 12 05-06-2011 01:17 AM
Herbal tea gardens A.E. Baxter Tea 1 09-07-2008 09:17 PM
Tea gardens in Fujian Will[_6_] Tea 3 15-12-2007 01:58 AM