Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer Gardens

We ate the first summer squash from the backyard yesterday. I have
one or two ready to pick today. I just sliced the squash and served
it with ranch dressing. It was very good -- fresh, summery,
squashy. I love squash sauteed with onions.

My tomato plants have a good number of green tomatoes.

I need to plant my herb seeds in the planter I got for Mother's Day.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011 13:04:52 -0400, Tara >
wrote:

>We ate the first summer squash from the backyard yesterday. I have
>one or two ready to pick today. I just sliced the squash and served
>it with ranch dressing. It was very good -- fresh, summery,
>squashy. I love squash sauteed with onions.
>
> My tomato plants have a good number of green tomatoes.
>
>I need to plant my herb seeds in the planter I got for Mother's Day.
>
>Tara

I am just now planting my garden. Everyone I know has a garage or
porch full of plants just waiting. The soil is still probably too
cold (below 60F) and will rot bean and corn seeds. I know of a couple
of people who have planted their garden twice so far and lost it to
frost. Not even going to try for winter squash this year. I did the
other year when it was cold like this and although there was handsome
fruit, the meat was watery and flavorless.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> We ate the first summer squash from the backyard yesterday. I have
> one or two ready to pick today. I just sliced the squash and served
> it with ranch dressing. It was very good -- fresh, summery,
> squashy. I love squash sauteed with onions.
>
> My tomato plants have a good number of green tomatoes.
>
> I need to plant my herb seeds in the planter I got for Mother's Day.

Planted May 1st. All my cucurbits have since been pulled up due to stunting
and yellowing. The nights are still in the low 50s when they should be in
the low 60s. This is wreaking havoc. My tomatoes are growing very slowly.
This time of year they normally grow an inch a day. Not more than an inch
in a week now. Looks like a bad season. I am replanting the cucurbits and
hoping for the best.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 15:29:01 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Tara" > wrote in message
.. .
>> We ate the first summer squash from the backyard yesterday. I have
>> one or two ready to pick today. I just sliced the squash and served
>> it with ranch dressing. It was very good -- fresh, summery,
>> squashy. I love squash sauteed with onions.
>>
>> My tomato plants have a good number of green tomatoes.
>>
>> I need to plant my herb seeds in the planter I got for Mother's Day.
>>

>Planted May 1st. All my cucurbits have since been pulled up due to stunting
>and yellowing. The nights are still in the low 50s when they should be in
>the low 60s. This is wreaking havoc. My tomatoes are growing very slowly.
>This time of year they normally grow an inch a day. Not more than an inch
>in a week now. Looks like a bad season. I am replanting the cucurbits and
>hoping for the best.
>
>Paul

We've had this kind of weather for 3 years now. My original plan was
to get the garden tilled in the fall and cover over with black
plastic. I was hoping the black plastic would heat the soil
Unfortunately the snow came so early that I didn't have a chance to
get the garden tilled.

I bought 2 kinds of winter squash and 2 kinds of summer squash today.
The plants are much more mature than mine are. I'm going to plant
them right against a railroad tie divider that receives the morning
sun, hoping that the ties will absorb heat for the plants. I had the
stunted and yellowed plants year before last and it is certainly
disheartening. I replanted that year and although the plants produced
fruit, the fruit was tasteless. I hope we get heat eventually. Last
Monday I was outdoors in a t-shirt covered by a hooded sweatshirt,
covered by a wool shirt covered by a down vest. We're still getting
snow in the mountains. ( I should have planted cabbage, broccoli,
lettuce, radishes, beets etc.) Normally those things are hard to grow
here because we get such an early blast of heat. Cross your fingers
Paul.
Janet US

Ranee and anyone else who has patio or deck gardens and container gardens ImStillMags General Cooking 22 23-10-2011 07:21 AM
Checking out the gardens George Shirley[_2_] Preserving 12 05-06-2011 01:17 AM
Herb gardens Steve B[_9_] General Cooking 84 13-04-2010 06:51 AM
Herbal tea gardens A.E. Baxter Tea 1 09-07-2008 09:17 PM
Tea gardens in Fujian Will[_6_] Tea 3 15-12-2007 01:58 AM