Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite Restaurant

I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the food.

I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my house
called The Golden Dragon. They have a real neat lunch special that
consists of the main dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and hot
and sour soup. That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars. It beats
the hell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less, once the
sides (chip and drink) are added to the sandwich.

However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
McDonald's, because:

1. They have free wi-fi there so I can use it to take practice tests
for some computer certifications that I am preparing for. Other places
have wi-fi, but I have tried them and the connection at McD's seems to be
faster. I also have an internet connection at my house, but there are a
lot less distractions over at McD's.

2. Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.

3. The ill-behaved kids are either off over at the playland, or they
just do not come at the time I do, usually 10 pm til about midnight.

4. The radio station they play plays music from the 70's and 80's,
which is the music I like.

5. Their cokes are only $1. Much of the time, I do not finish more
that a few sips, but I do not feel right using their internet connection
or booths without purchasing something from them.

6. Although we have been informed the they do not make their fries
"correctly," for some reason I do not understand, I happen to like them,
and will get an order of them every once in a while.

It has nothing to do with how good or bad their hamburgers or Mcnuggets
or whatever are.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 11:07*am, Brian > wrote:
> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the food.
>
> I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my house
> called The Golden Dragon. *They have a real neat lunch special that
> consists of the main dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and hot
> and sour soup. *That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars. *It beats
> the hell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less, once the
> sides (chip and drink) are added to the sandwich.
>
> However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
> McDonald's, because:
>
> 1. * * *They have free wi-fi there so I can use it to take practice tests
> for some computer certifications that I am preparing for. *Other places
> have wi-fi, but I have tried them and the connection at McD's seems to be
> faster. *I also have an internet connection at my house, but there are a
> lot less distractions over at McD's.
>
> 2. * * *Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.
>
> 3. * * *The ill-behaved kids are either off over at the playland, or they
> just do not come at the time I do, usually 10 pm til about midnight.
>
> 4. * * *The radio station they play plays music from the 70's and 80's,
> which is the music I like.
>
> 5. * * *Their cokes are only $1. *Much of the time, I do not finish more
> that a few sips, but I do not feel right using their internet connection
> or booths without purchasing something from them.
>
> 6. * * *Although we have been informed the they do not make their fries
> "correctly," for some reason I do not understand, I happen to like them,
> and will get an order of them every once in a while.
>
> It has nothing to do with how good or bad their hamburgers or Mcnuggets
> or whatever are.
>
> Brian Christiansen

There's a chinese buffet place not far from here that I love for a lot
of reasons. The food isn't bad and everything else about it is perfect
for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:31:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> So the basis for your favorite restaurant $1 "cokes" and free wi-fi,
> with no regard for their food.

Yes - they have something I can make use of, the wireless connection and
the large workspace, all the other stuff ares "bonuses," I suppose.
Making use of those things is much more important to me than how good or
bad the food is.

Right now I have much more interest in completing my certifications and
what I can do for that (studying for them where there are fewer
distractions than at home) than where to go to get good food. What I am
interested in doing determines what my favorite restaurant is, and McD's
best suits my current needs.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 9:54*am, Brian > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:31:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
> > So the basis for your favorite restaurant $1 "cokes" and free wi-fi,
> > with no regard for their food.

> Yes - they have something I can make use of, the wireless connection and
> the large workspace, all the other stuff ares "bonuses," I suppose. *
> Making use of those things is much more important to me than how good or
> bad the food is.
>
> Right now I have much more interest in completing my certifications and
> what I can do for that (studying for them where there are fewer
> distractions than at home) than where to go to get good food. *What I am
> interested in doing determines what my favorite restaurant is, and McD's
> best suits my current needs.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

You can't read what I said? There are fewer distractions at McD's than
at home.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 10:18*am, Brian > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> > Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

> You can't read what I said? *There are fewer distractions at McD's than
> at home.
>
> Brian Christiansen

You got room mates. kids....what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:

> You got room mates. kids....what?

There are distractions. Specifically what they are isn't really any of
your business.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 12:07*pm, Brian > wrote:
> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always aboutthefood.
>
> I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my housecalledTheGolden Dragon.*They have a real neat lunch special thatconsists ofthemain dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and hotand sour soup. *That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars.*Itbeatsthehell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less, oncethesides (chip and drink) are added tothesandwich.
>
> However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
> McDonald's, because:
>
> 1. * **They have free wi-fithere so I can useitto take practice testsfor some computer certifications that I am preparing for. *Other placeshave wi-fi, but I have triedthem andtheconnection at McD's seems to befaster. *I also have an internet connection at my house, butthere are a
> lot less distractions over at McD's.
>
> 2. * **Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.
>
> 3. * **Theill-behaved kids are either off over attheplayland, ortheyjust do not come atthetime I do, usually 10 pm til about midnight.
>
> 4. * **Theradio stationthey play plays music fromthe70's and 80's,which isthemusic Ilike.
>
> 5. * **Their cokes are only $1. *Much ofthetime, I do not finish morethat a few sips, but I do not feel right usingtheir internet connectionor booths without purchasing something fromthem.
>
> 6. * * *Although we have been informedthethey do not maketheir fries"correctly," for some reason I do not understand, I happen tolikethem,and will get an order ofthem every once in a while.
>
> Ithas nothing to do with how good or badtheir hamburgers or Mcnuggets
> or whatever are.
>
> Brian Christiansen

I like 'The Mandarin.' It is a great Chinese Buffet place. Man, they
got everything. AND great desserts. Very polite servers, and the
girls and guys keeping up with filling the buffet are great. They are
mostly Chinese people working there. They've also got a nice brook
deal at the front where there are many different kinds of fish
swimming.
I also like 'The Swiss Chalet.' Pretty reasonable in price. The
chicken is pretty good, but their dipping sauce is outstanding.
Now these two restaurants are not exactly 3 Michelin stars, but they
are local and decent. You get what you pay for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 10:47*am, Brian > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> > You got room mates. kids....what?

> There are distractions. *Specifically what they are isn't really any of
> your business.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Well now.....aren't you special.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 1:47*pm, A Moose in Love >
wrote:
> On Oct 11, 12:07*pm, Brian > wrote:
>

> > I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always aboutthefood.

> > I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my housecalledTheGolden Dragon.*They have a real neat lunch special thatconsists ofthemain dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and hotand sour soup. *That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars.*Itbeatsthehell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less, oncethesides (chip and drink) are added tothesandwich.

> > However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
> > McDonald's, because:

> > 1. * **They have free wi-fithere so I can useitto take practice testsfor some computer certifications that I am preparing for. *Other placeshave wi-fi, but I have triedthem andtheconnection at McD's seems to befaster. *I also have an internet connection at my house, butthere are a
> > lot less distractions over at McD's.

> > 2. * **Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.

> > 3. * **Theill-behaved kids are either off over attheplayland, ortheyjust do not come atthetime I do, usually 10 pm til about midnight.

> > 4. * **Theradio stationthey play plays music fromthe70's and 80's,which isthemusic Ilike.

> > 5. * **Their cokes are only $1. *Much ofthetime, I do not finish morethat a few sips, but I do not feel right usingtheir internet connectionor booths without purchasing something fromthem.

> > 6. * * *Although we have been informedthethey do not maketheir fries"correctly," for some reason I do not understand, I happen tolikethem,and will get an order ofthem every once in a while.

> >Ithas nothing to do with how good or badtheir hamburgers or Mcnuggets
> > or whatever are.

> > Brian Christiansen

> Ilike'TheMandarin.'*Itis a great Chinese Buffet place. *Man,theygot everything. *AND great desserts. *Very polite servers, andthegirls and guys keeping up with fillingthebuffet are great.*They aremostly Chinese people workingthere.*They've also got a nice brookdeal atthefront wherethere are many different kinds of fish
> swimming.I alsolike'TheSwiss Chalet.' *Pretty reasonable in price.*Thechicken is pretty good, buttheir dipping sauce is outstanding.Nowthese two restaurants are not exactly 3 Michelin stars, butthey
> are local and decent. *You get what you pay for.

Here's the Mandarin website:
http://www.mandarinbuffet.com/main.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Brian > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
>> Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

> You can't read what I said? There are fewer distractions at McD's than
> at home.
>
> Brian Christiansen

The local library has free Wifi and they allow you to bring in your own
beverage.

My favorite restaurant is off the lake where I can watch the freighters,
sail boats and yachts go by. Food is not that great, but a rather relaxing
view outside. Hearing the seagulls, the waves lapping on the dock, sitting
under a canopy so the sun is not beating down on me while i am slowly
eating and enjoying the view.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:23:23 +0000, Nad wrote:

> The local library has free Wifi and they allow you to bring in your own
> beverage.

This McDonald's is quieter than any library I have been to in recent
years, except the rare instances when a bunch of rowdy teenagers come
by. Also, my local library is open to about 6, earlier than when I want
to go. I suppose the library is a legitimate option, just not the best
one for my needs at this time.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 18:23:23 +0000, Nad wrote:
>

>> The local library has free Wifi and they allow you to bring in your own
>> beverage.
>>

> This McDonald's is quieter than any library I have been to in recent
> years, except the rare instances when a bunch of rowdy teenagers come
> by. Also, my local library is open to about 6, earlier than when I want
> to go. I suppose the library is a legitimate option, just not the best
> one for my needs at this time.
>
> Brian Christiansen

Michael Scott: My favorite restaurant closed down.
Jo Bennett: Oh, I hate that.
Michael Scott: My new favorite restaurant sucks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/11/2011 1:06 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Oct 11, 9:54 am, > wrote:

>> Right now I have much more interest in completing my certifications and
>> what I can do for that (studying for them where there are fewer
>> distractions than at home) than where to go to get good food.

> Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

Probably too many distractions at home. I'm just guessing.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:07:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian
> wrote:

> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the food.
>
> I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my house
> called The Golden Dragon. They have a real neat lunch special that
> consists of the main dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and hot
> and sour soup. That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars. It beats
> the hell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less, once the
> sides (chip and drink) are added to the sandwich.
>
> However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
> McDonald's, because:
>
> 1. They have free wi-fi there so I can use it to take practice tests
> for some computer certifications that I am preparing for. Other places
> have wi-fi, but I have tried them and the connection at McD's seems to be
> faster. I also have an internet connection at my house, but there are a
> lot less distractions over at McD's.
>
> 2. Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.

You don't have any coffee shops where you live?
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote
>Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

Maybe his mom charges for the ice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On Oct 11, 10:18*am, Brian > wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>> > Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

>> You can't read what I said? *There are fewer distractions at McD's than
>> at home.
>>
>> Brian Christiansen

>You got room mates. kids....what?

His wife goes about topless... I'd be distracted too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:46:53 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

> "Chemo the Clown" > wrote
> >Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

> Maybe his mom charges for the ice.

He said "less distractions".
--

Never commit yourself to a cheese without having first examined it.
T.S. Eliot
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> > wrote:

>>> You can't read what I said? There are fewer distractions at McD's than
>>> at home.
>>>
>>> Brian Christiansen

>> You got room mates. kids....what?

> His wife goes about topless... I'd be distracted too.

Perhaps it is his supper hot looking teenage daughters goes about
topless... I'd be distracted too

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:53:49 +0000 (UTC), Nad
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
>> > wrote:

>>> You got room mates. kids....what?

>> His wife goes about topless... I'd be distracted too.

>Perhaps it is his supper hot looking teenage daughters goes about
>topless... I'd be distracted too

Yeah but... you already have cows!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:53:49 +0000 (UTC), Nad
> > wrote:
>
>> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown

>>> His wife goes about topless... I'd be distracted too.

>> Perhaps it is his supper hot looking teenage daughters goes about
>> topless... I'd be distracted too

> Yeah but... you already have cows!

And my personal library of two thousand books "and" my home "and" barns
also have wide area Wifi. I am single no wifi, no kids, no distractions
thereforeno need to go anywhere

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nad Nad is offline

Nad > wrote:
> Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 19:53:49 +0000 (UTC), Nad
>> > wrote:

>>> Perhaps it is his supper hot looking teenage daughters goes about
>>> topless... I'd be distracted too

>> Yeah but... you already have cows!

> And my personal library of two thousand books "and" my home "and" barns
> also have wide area Wifi. I am single no wifi, no kids, no distractions
> thereforeno need to go anywhere

No wife, typo.

--
Enjoy Life... Nad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 13:14:13 -0700, Ranée at Arabian Knits
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Nad > wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> > >
> > > His wife goes about topless... I'd be distracted too.

> > Perhaps it is his supper hot looking teenage daughters goes about
> > topless... I'd be distracted too

> Are you accusing him of pedophilia and incest?

Maybe he's channeling Sheldon at his worst.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:
> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the food.
>
> I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my house
> called The Golden Dragon. They have a real neat lunch special that
> consists of the main dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop and
> hot and sour soup. That plus an iced tea is less than 8 dollars. It
> beats the hell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and actually costs less,
> once the sides (chip and drink) are added to the sandwich.
>
> However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
> McDonald's, because:
>
> 1. They have free wi-fi there so I can use it to take practice tests
> for some computer certifications that I am preparing for. Other
> places have wi-fi, but I have tried them and the connection at McD's
> seems to be faster. I also have an internet connection at my house,
> but there are a lot less distractions over at McD's.
>
> 2. Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.
>
> 3. The ill-behaved kids are either off over at the playland, or they
> just do not come at the time I do, usually 10 pm til about midnight.
>
> 4. The radio station they play plays music from the 70's and 80's,
> which is the music I like.
>
> 5. Their cokes are only $1. Much of the time, I do not finish more
> that a few sips, but I do not feel right using their internet
> connection or booths without purchasing something from them.
>
> 6. Although we have been informed the they do not make their fries
> "correctly," for some reason I do not understand, I happen to like
> them, and will get an order of them every once in a while.
>
> It has nothing to do with how good or bad their hamburgers or
> Mcnuggets or whatever are.
>
> Brian Christiansen

McDonalds makes me shudder. I never liked the place. Never. If I have to
go to a fast food place here I go to Taco Time. They make Mexican food and
use all fresh ingredients. It's good stuff and healthy choices. But
certainly not my favorite place to go. I am not a fast food fan.

My favorite place is closed. That would be Pio Pio's in Lynnwood. It's now
an appliance store. Now I like Ixtapa and Yucatan. Both understand food
allergies. Both remember what we like to eat and how we like our food.
Both serve us quickly. Usually. Yucatan can get very busy and sometimes
they can be slow. I also like Sawmill which is part of a local chain (all
restaurants have different names and decors but the same menu). I like them
because the food is usually good. I have had one thing I didn't like there.
And I think some of their things are overpriced. But if you stick to the
dinner menu it is a good value. I have heard that the breakfast stuff is
very good too but given my egg allergy that is not something I order much
of. Good biscuits and gravy though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
>> Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

> You can't read what I said? There are fewer distractions at McD's
> than at home.

You must have a very chaotic home!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 16:07:40 +0000 (UTC), Brian
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the
>> food.
>>
>> I suppose my favorite restaurant to eat at is a place near my house
>> called The Golden Dragon. They have a real neat lunch special that
>> consists of the main dish, Kung Pao chicken or whatever, a serving of
>> steamed or fried rice, an egg roll, and a choice between egg drop
>> and hot and sour soup. That plus an iced tea is less than 8
>> dollars. It beats the hell out of Subway's $5 footlong, and
>> actually costs less, once the sides (chip and drink) are added to
>> the sandwich.
>>
>> However, I would have to say that right now my favorite restaurant is
>> McDonald's, because:
>>
>> 1. They have free wi-fi there so I can use it to take practice tests
>> for some computer certifications that I am preparing for. Other
>> places have wi-fi, but I have tried them and the connection at McD's
>> seems to be faster. I also have an internet connection at my house,
>> but there are a lot less distractions over at McD's.
>>
>> 2. Their booths are nice and big so I have plenty of room to work.

> You don't have any coffee shops where you live?

The coffee shops here are anything but quiet. But they do have Wifi.

Member

honestly, McDonald's food makes me sick, but I like you're reasoning. I kind of wish I had a restaurant like that to go to all the time. Maybe I could try McDonald's, but i just have had too many bad experiences with their food. My favorite restaurant is a place called Rick Shaw, they serve Asian. The guy there knows mine and my wife's favorite dish, so he already knows what we want. We got there about once a week on a date night. I think it's my favorite because the food is superb, and the environment is pretty nice, and since we have so many memories there. It's a good place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 14:57:43 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:

> You must have a very chaotic home!

No, but there are still more distractions than I want.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:53:33 -0700, sf wrote:

> You don't have any coffee shops where you live?

There might be, but so what? The McD's fits my needs.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 15:28:31 -0700, Mr. Bill wrote:

> On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:07:40 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
>> I don't think a person's favorite restaurant is always about the food.

> Brian..my favorite two restaurants are ALWAYS about the food.

To pass, and therefore study for the computer certifications is very high
on my priority list right now. Knowing or even caring which restaurants
have the "best" or even "good" food is very low on that list.

I don't use the Wifi to have conversations with anybody, I use it to take
practice tests and study documents on Technet and MSDN.

Brian Christiansen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Isaac Gish" > wrote in message

> honestly, McDonald's food makes me sick, but I like you're reasoning. I
> kind of wish I had a restaurant like that to go to all the time. Maybe
> I could try McDonald's, but i just have had too many bad experiences
> with their food. My favorite restaurant is a place called Rick Shaw,
> they serve Asian. The guy there knows mine and my wife's favorite dish,
> so he already knows what we want. We got there about once a week on a
> date night. I think it's my favorite because the food is superb, and
> the environment is pretty nice, and since we have so many memories
> there. It's a good place.

Is that the one in North Seattle?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brian" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:31:13 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> So the basis for your favorite restaurant $1 "cokes" and free wi-fi,
> with no regard for their food.

Yes - they have something I can make use of, the wireless connection and
the large workspace, all the other stuff ares "bonuses," I suppose.
Making use of those things is much more important to me than how good or
bad the food is.

Right now I have much more interest in completing my certifications and
what I can do for that (studying for them where there are fewer
distractions than at home) than where to go to get good food. What I am
interested in doing determines what my favorite restaurant is, and McD's
best suits my current needs.

Brian Christiansen

- - - - - - - - - - -

I think I would go to the library for that purpose and use "favorite
restaurant" as a place where I could get good food and pleasant atmosphere
for conversation.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:45:41 -0500, MaryL wrote:

> I think I would go to the library for that purpose and use "favorite
> restaurant" as a place where I could get good food and pleasant
> atmosphere for conversation.

Can't do that. The branch of the library that is close to me is only
open until 5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sat, and until 8 on Tuesday
and Thursday, which is earlier than I am ready to go (~10 til
~midnight). The hours of the other branches aren't much better. Even
the main branch, which is a minimum of 2 to 3 times as far away as the
McD's is only open until 8.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brian wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
>> You got room mates. kids....what?

> There are distractions. Specifically what they are isn't really any
> of your business.
>
> Brian Christiansen

None of this is any of our business, nor is it of any interest to any of
us, either. The only thing that's interesting is why you bothered to
start this thread in the first place. It's a wonderful troll, IMHO,
although I'm not quite sure what the purpose is, other than to pay
attention to you - in that, you've succeeded.

I have a roommate (wives are roommates, right?) and kids - I must not be
able to get anything done. Well, yes, now that you mention it, that's
true, I can't get anything done.

Hmmmm.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 11, 10:24*pm, Brian > wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 23:45:41 -0500, MaryL wrote:
> > I think I would go to the library for that purpose and use "favorite
> > restaurant" as a place where I could get good food and pleasant
> > atmosphere for conversation.

> Can't do that. *The branch of the library that is close to me is only
> open until 5 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sat, and until 8 on Tuesday
> and Thursday, which is earlier than I am ready to go (~10 til
> ~midnight). *The hours of the other branches aren't much better. *Even
> the main branch, which is a minimum of 2 to 3 times as far away as the
> McD's is only open until 8.
>
> Brian Christiansen

You'd think your house would be quiet from 10 pm on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nad > wrote:
> Brian > wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:06:29 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>
>>> Is there some reason you can't get online at home and drink a coke?

>> You can't read what I said? There are fewer distractions at McD's than
>> at home.
>>
>> Brian Christiansen

> The local library has free Wifi and they allow you to bring in your own
> beverage.
>
> My favorite restaurant is off the lake where I can watch the freighters,
> sail boats and yachts go by. Food is not that great, but a rather relaxing
> view outside. Hearing the seagulls, the waves lapping on the dock, sitting
> under a canopy so the sun is not beating down on me while i am slowly
> eating and enjoying the view.

Up the lake where I go a very nice marina, with great breakfast and fast
food. A great atmosphere, and they probably have wifi.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 10:27:48 -0700, Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>
>>> You got room mates. kids....what?

>> There are distractions. Specifically what they are isn't really any
>> of your business.
>>
>> Brian Christiansen

> None of this is any of our business, nor is it of any interest to any of
> us, either.

You're right. This has nothing to do with a restaurant anyway. It has
everything to do with him using an eating establishment as a study. And
only spending a lousy dollar for a soda, to boot! If I owned the
establishment I'd kick his butt out for taking up a table that paying
customers could occupy.

> I have a roommate (wives are roommates, right?) and kids - I must not be
> able to get anything done. Well, yes, now that you mention it, that's
> true, I can't get anything done.
>
> Hmmmm.
>
> -S-

OMG, Steve, you have a wife and kids? Then of course you don't get anything
done! You'd better go hang out at McD's.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:48:08 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> You're right. This has nothing to do with a restaurant anyway. It has
> everything to do with him using an eating establishment as a study. And
> only spending a lousy dollar for a soda, to boot! If I owned the
> establishment I'd kick his butt out for taking up a table that paying
> customers could occupy.

Most of the time, my guess would be 50% of the time, except for the
cleanup crew, I am the only person in the entire building at the time I
come (I really don't think there are any kids in the play area very often
- just not sure of that either way), so I am only taking up space that
would otherwise be totally unused.

The only thing that has ever been said to me is my getting offered a free
coke. While I certainly would not come back just in the hopes of getting
a free coke, nor do I think they would actually think that, it is very
hard to interpret this act as something that is encouraging me to quit
coming.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 22:17:22 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Do you live in prison or soemthing? I can't imagine McDonalds having
> less distractions unless you share bedroom with 4 other people. You
> need put your foot down, stop being a passive pussy, and tell those
> assholes to shut the **** up.

I don't know or care about other Mcdonald's, but this one is almost empty
after probably about 9:00, about a good half the time I am there, I am
the only one in the entire building, except for the cleanup crew that is
working in the kitchen. I don't think I have ever seen more than perhaps
2 tables occupied, and much of the time they are doing the same thing I
am, working quietly at their laptop computer. There might be kids playing
out in the play area, but I don't think so.

Also not all distractions are "noise", at home there is online anime (the
connection at the McD's is not fast enough for that), online games (very
hard to play without a mouse, which I do not bring with me), games I have
installed on my computer (I do not have any but the default windows games
on my laptop, and those are not much of a temptation) a TV in the next
room, my sewing machine in the next room, etc., none of which make noise
until they are switched on.

I suppose anywhere there is an internet connection, there are always
distractions such as usatoday online, but graphically intense sites such
as usatoday load painfully slowly (at least in comparison to the almost
instant loading that I am used to for such pages).

If you choose to go back to school, you will presumably deal with those
distractions in the way that is best suited for you, or you might have
this iron will to be able to resist them. The way that is best suited
for me is to get the hell away from them.

Believe that or don't believe it as you see fit.

Brian Christiansen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:08:25 -0500, Sqertz wrote:

> Unlike you, I have a good memory for poster's past history.

So do I, and as far as I am concerned, sqwertz has demonstrated no
intelligence beyond making childish insults.

Certainly not the intellectual capacity to understand 3 very simple
points: a restaurant's, even a McDonald's, business can drop off so it is
almost empty after about 8:30, or at least this one does (I really don't
know why they keep it open till midnight, perhaps their drive-thru
business justifies it), distractions can be more than just noise, and I
deal with those distractions in the way the works best for me, not how
anyone else, especially he, thinks is the best way for me.

Brian Christiansen