Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!

Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!

I'm BUMMED!!!

My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.

Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting rid
of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English muffins
and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.

Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind five
foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once they
walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me feel
like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses who
always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like this?
They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!

A very anti-social feel to the place, now.

I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go back.

They also changed the name of the place.

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

<snip>

> They also changed the name of the place.

Things change, Andy. I'll bet that if you check yourself out closely,
you've changed over the last fifteen years, too

<and not for the better>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 1:53*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>
> I'm BUMMED!!!
>
> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>
> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting rid
> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English muffins
> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.
>
> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind five
> foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once they
> walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me feel
> like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses who
> always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
> right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like this?
> They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!
>
> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.
>
> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go back..
>
> They also changed the name of the place.

That dining room sounds pretty bad. Although it would be an ideal
place for The Rump-Ranger and his fat wife and ugly kids to hang out,
who the hell wants to look at that while they are trying to eat?
LOL

I hate when restaurants change. It's never for the better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 25 Aug 2009 11:53:58a, Andy told us...

> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>
> I'm BUMMED!!!
>
> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>
> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting
> rid of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English
> muffins and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons
> to pluck from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time
> standing there toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were
> too proud at being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous
> one.
>
> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind
> five foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons
> once they walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually
> made me feel like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to
> two waitresses who always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I
> asked who in their right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant
> experience like this? They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming
> the food hadn't changed!
>
> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.
>
> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go
> back.
>
> They also changed the name of the place.
>
> Andy

Hmmm... Rat maze. Maybe they did this just for you.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Toots Shore's restaurant is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 25 Aug 2009 12:07:11p, Pennyaline told us...

> Andy wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> They also changed the name of the place.

> Things change, Andy. I'll bet that if you check yourself out closely,
> you've changed over the last fifteen years, too
>
> <and not for the better>

I think you nailed it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Toots Shore's restaurant is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.
Yogi Berra

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 11:53*am, Andy > wrote:
> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>
> I'm BUMMED!!!
>
> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>
> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting rid
> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English muffins
> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.
>
> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind five
> foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once they
> walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me feel
> like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses who
> always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
> right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like this?
> They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!
>
> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.
>
> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go back..
>
> They also changed the name of the place.
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

Dang *** men. Just cuz yer *** doesn't mean you have any sense or
style.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>
> I'm BUMMED!!!

They changed it just to get rid of you as a customer.

They're probably dancing and partying, knowing that
they'll never see your sorry carcass again.

They got a phone call of congratulations from
Trader Joe himself!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

projectile vomit chick said...

> On Aug 25, 1:53*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>>
>> I'm BUMMED!!!
>>
>> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>>
>> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting

ri
>> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
>> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English

muffi
> ns
>> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
>> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
>> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
>> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.
>>
>> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind

fi
> ve
>> foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once

the
>> walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me

feel
>> like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses

> ho
>> always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
>> right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like

this?
>> They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!
>>
>> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.
>>
>> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go

back
> .
>>
>> They also changed the name of the place.

> That dining room sounds pretty bad. Although it would be an ideal
> place for The Rump-Ranger and his fat wife and ugly kids to hang out,
> who the hell wants to look at that while they are trying to eat?
> LOL
>
> I hate when restaurants change. It's never for the better.

PVC,

I don't get around as far as dining out is concerned but today was quite
disturbing after so long.

AND, imagine my surprise when about five years ago, whey my local "Court
Diner" changed hands, and the new owners actually leveled the years old
leaning "scale of justice" sign out front! A pretty long standing town joke
amongst patrons and employees alike. Only where's the justice in paying
$6.00 for a three stack of pancakes???

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 1:53*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!

Happened to me too:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/28/14708...Familia-St-Ann

> Andy

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown said...

> Dang *** men. Just cuz yer *** doesn't mean you have any sense or
> style.

For those two owners, no sense of style OR taste or restaurant sensibility.
Unless there's something *** about it all I know nothing about!?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pennyaline wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> They also changed the name of the place.

> Things change, Andy. I'll bet that if you check yourself out closely,
> you've changed over the last fifteen years, too
>
> <and not for the better>

I'm just curious... who has experienced a restaurant (especially a
chain), not go downhill from initial opening, till an icon? I give McD's
as the ultimate example.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Muncie said...

> I'm just curious... who has experienced a restaurant (especially a
> chain), not go downhill from initial opening, till an icon? I give McD's
> as the ultimate example.

That's something different entirely. You want to hijack the thread, I don't
appreciate it but can't stop you.

The Little Inn was probably one of the longest established restaurants in our
sleepy little town. Now it gone. I'm certain the other long time patrons are
equally disgusted!

It was one of a kind, not a chain.

You've developed a big mouth for being here such a short time.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l said...

> On 25-Aug-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>>
>> I'm BUMMED!!!
>>
>> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>>
>> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting

rid

>> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
>> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English
>> muffins
>> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
>> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
>> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
>> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.

> I'd swear you've complained about those english muffin changes before.

I've recounted countless experiences here for years and years.

The brunch toaster post just once, not counting any replies I made.

This post was just a combined new disappoint plus that old remembrance.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 25-Aug-2009, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>>
>> I'm BUMMED!!!
>>
>> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>>
>> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting
>> rid
>>
>> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
>> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English
>> muffins
>> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
>> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
>> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
>> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.

> I'd swear you've complained about those english muffin changes before.
>
> C'mon, admit it; you write this stuff auditioning to replace Andy Rooney.
> 8-)

I'm glad someone else noticed that! I was reading it, thinking Deja vou
(SP - spell checker is still telling me this language is not available for
spell checking)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 3:49*pm, Andy > wrote:
> projectile vomit chick said...
>

> > On Aug 25, 1:53*pm, Andy > wrote:
> >> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!

> >> I'm BUMMED!!!

> >> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.

> >> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting

> ri
> >> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
> >> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English

> muffi
> > ns
> >> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
> >> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
> >> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
> >> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.

> >> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind

> fi
> > ve
> >> foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once

> the
> >> walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me

> feel
> >> like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses

> > ho
> >> always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
> >> right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like

> this?
> >> They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!

> >> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.

> >> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go

> back
> > .

> >> They also changed the name of the place.

> > That dining room sounds pretty bad. *Although it would be an ideal
> > place for The Rump-Ranger and his fat wife and ugly kids to hang out,
> > who the hell wants to look at that while they are trying to eat?
> > LOL

> > I hate when restaurants change. *It's never for the better.

> PVC,
>
> I don't get around as far as dining out is concerned but today was quite
> disturbing after so long.
>
> AND, imagine my surprise when about five years ago, whey my local "Court
> Diner" changed hands, and the new owners actually leveled the years old
> leaning "scale of justice" sign out front! A pretty long standing town joke
> amongst patrons and employees alike. Only where's the justice in paying
> $6.00 for a three stack of pancakes???

An old favorite that hasn't changed, we went out to the Hacienda this
evening. Man, I'm stuffed. The food and service were both A++.

The fire roasted salsa rocks, and they bring me plenty, plus, our
water glasses never get empty. It is very "pound foolish" not to tip
really well for great service at a place you plan to return to.

> Best,
>
> Andy

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl said...

>> C'mon, admit it; you write this stuff auditioning to replace Andy Rooney.
>> 8-)

> I'm glad someone else noticed that! I was reading it, thinking Deja vou
> (SP - spell checker is still telling me this language is not available for
> spell checking)

Thank you! I can take a compliment.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> On Aug 25, 3:49*pm, Andy > wrote:
>> projectile vomit chick said...

Getting
>> ri

>> muffi
>> > ns

pluc

ther

at

behind
>> fi
>> > ve

>> the

>> feel

waitresse
>> > ho

their

>> this?

change
> d!

>> back
>> > .

>> > That dining room sounds pretty bad. *Although it would be an ideal
>> > place for The Rump-Ranger and his fat wife and ugly kids to hang out,
>> > who the hell wants to look at that while they are trying to eat?
>> > LOL

>> > I hate when restaurants change. *It's never for the better.

>> PVC,
>>
>> I don't get around as far as dining out is concerned but today was quite
>> disturbing after so long.
>>
>> AND, imagine my surprise when about five years ago, whey my local "Court
>> Diner" changed hands, and the new owners actually leveled the years old
>> leaning "scale of justice" sign out front! A pretty long standing town

jo
> ke
>> amongst patrons and employees alike. Only where's the justice in paying
>> $6.00 for a three stack of pancakes???

> An old favorite that hasn't changed, we went out to the Hacienda this
> evening. Man, I'm stuffed. The food and service were both A++.
>
> The fire roasted salsa rocks, and they bring me plenty, plus, our
> water glasses never get empty. It is very "pound foolish" not to tip
> really well for great service at a place you plan to return to.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Andy

> --Bryan

LUCKY BUM!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bobo Bonobo® said...

> It is very "pound foolish" not to tip
> really well for great service at a place you plan to return to.

I'd agree.

When I started Sunday buffet brunching in the mid-1990s, it as $14/ea. I'd
always pay $20 and "keep the change" compliments. Naturally, they lost
money on "all-you-can-eat-Andy."

After a short time, they put an invisible velvet rope across my power
table. They treated me great and I replied in kind.

Yesterday I asked about the price of Sunday brunch and was told $18. Not
bad when you consider the cost of inflation, upkeep, etc., over the years
but they cheapened the place and inconvenienced the patron's and destroyed
the ambiance as I explained.

The way it was: http://i43.tinypic.com/2dgru6a.jpg (zoom in if your browser
allows.).

[sigh]

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Old favorite restaurant changed for the worse!
>
> I'm BUMMED!!!
>
> My favorite Sunday brunch restaurant officially went down the tubes.
>
> Two *** men bought it years ago and went about making changes. Getting rid
> of the linen tablecloths for paper placemats, no candles, etc. The
> stupidest of which was instead of kitchen oven toasting the English
> muffins
> and bagels and tossing them in a chaffing dish for the patrons to pluck
> from, they put a few toasters out for them to waste time standing there
> toasting their own. I protested at the idea but they were too proud at
> being new restaurateurs to even consider it a preposterous one.
>
> Today, I walk in and all the nice dining room tables are hidden behind
> five
> foot high walled cubicles. You can't see the rest of the patrons once they
> walk in their cubicle and sit down out of sight. It actually made me feel
> like I was walking around in a rat maze. I said hello to two waitresses
> who
> always served me well for all of almost 15 years. I asked who in their
> right mind would "privatize" the typical restaurant experience like this?
> They gave me pained smiles, in defense claiming the food hadn't changed!
>
> A very anti-social feel to the place, now.
>
> I walked out telling the hostess, "I changed my mind." I'll never go back.
>
> They also changed the name of the place.
>
> Andy
> --
> I'm no longer a danger to society.

Even worse: When your favorite restaurant 'closes for rennovations' and
doeesn't reopen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck said...

> Even worse: When your favorite restaurant 'closes for rennovations' and
> doeesn't reopen.

That doesn't sound legal, except maybe if the health department shut it down
and the owners decided to just get out of the business rather than comply and
fix the problems?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Kswck said...
>
>> Even worse: When your favorite restaurant 'closes for rennovations' and
>> doeesn't reopen.

> That doesn't sound legal, except maybe if the health department shut it
> down
> and the owners decided to just get out of the business rather than comply
> and
> fix the problems?
>
> Andy

Possibly. But usually the health department will put a 'condemned' sign on
the front door. Happened to a local deli after the rats set off the motion
detectors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck said...

> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9C73A86C71DFECotD@

216.196.97.131...
>> Kswck said...
>>
>>> Even worse: When your favorite restaurant 'closes for rennovations' and
>>> doeesn't reopen.

>> That doesn't sound legal, except maybe if the health department shut it
>> down
>> and the owners decided to just get out of the business rather than

comply
>> and
>> fix the problems?
>>
>> Andy

> Possibly. But usually the health department will put a 'condemned' sign

on
> the front door. Happened to a local deli after the rats set off the

motion
> detectors.

Kswck,

They don't use the term condemned unless the building itself is unsafe and
that is usually left to the License and Inspection Bureau folks, iirc.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Kswck said...
>

>> "Andy" > wrote in message news:Xns9C73A86C71DFECotD@

> 216.196.97.131...
>>> Kswck said...

>>> That doesn't sound legal, except maybe if the health department shut it
>>> down
>>> and the owners decided to just get out of the business rather than

> comply
>>> and
>>> fix the problems?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Possibly. But usually the health department will put a 'condemned' sign

> on
>> the front door. Happened to a local deli after the rats set off the

> motion
>> detectors.

> Kswck,
>
> They don't use the term condemned unless the building itself is unsafe and
> that is usually left to the License and Inspection Bureau folks, iirc.
>
> Andy

Or the conditions are so bad that the place needs to be gutted. It was.