Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Seasoning a baking stone and using it questions

I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
something that you can't use liquid detergent on.

I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2011 9:14 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>
> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

I use my pizza stone for baking challah. I have been using pizza stones
for years as they helped make an RV propane oven work better and I never
heard of seasoning them with anything. Of course, mine were cheapies
from Kitchen Collection and not elegant ones from Pampered Chef <g>

I solve the problem of cleaning it by putting a silpat on top of it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 21:30:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I use my pizza stone for baking challah. I have been using pizza stones
> for years as they helped make an RV propane oven work better and I never
> heard of seasoning them with anything. Of course, mine were cheapies
> from Kitchen Collection and not elegant ones from Pampered Chef <g>
>
> I solve the problem of cleaning it by putting a silpat on top of it.

Mine is even cheaper... unglazed quarry tiles that I don't clean other
than to get the obvious off. Some are quite shiny and black... does
that remind you of anything?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>
> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

Most of the time when you are using a baking stone, you are running it
as hot as your oven goes, 500F+ so it is rather self cleaning and you
just scrape off any carbonized residue.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2011 10:30 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 9/10/2011 9:14 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
>> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
>> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
>> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
>> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
>> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
>> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
>> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
>> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
>> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
>> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>>
>> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
>> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
>> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

> I use my pizza stone for baking challah. I have been using pizza stones
> for years as they helped make an RV propane oven work better and I never
> heard of seasoning them with anything. Of course, mine were cheapies
> from Kitchen Collection and not elegant ones from Pampered Chef <g>
>
> I solve the problem of cleaning it by putting a silpat on top of it.

Thanks sweetie. I will keep looking for how to use this thing. I have a
silpat. I also had to support my niece by getting one of those big PC
pizza cutters. Much better than my 20 year old one that rips through
the cheese if you don't angle it right. I miss the old fundraisers with
cheaper items.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2011 10:13 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/10/2011 10:30 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 9/10/2011 9:14 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
>>> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
>>> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
>>> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
>>> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
>>> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
>>> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
>>> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
>>> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
>>> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
>>> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>>>
>>> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
>>> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
>>> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza?
>>> Thanks.

>> I use my pizza stone for baking challah. I have been using pizza stones
>> for years as they helped make an RV propane oven work better and I never
>> heard of seasoning them with anything. Of course, mine were cheapies
>> from Kitchen Collection and not elegant ones from Pampered Chef <g>
>>
>> I solve the problem of cleaning it by putting a silpat on top of it.
>>

> Thanks sweetie. I will keep looking for how to use this thing. I have a
> silpat. I also had to support my niece by getting one of those big PC
> pizza cutters. Much better than my 20 year old one that rips through the
> cheese if you don't angle it right. I miss the old fundraisers with
> cheaper items.

My niece sells Pampered Chef, too. I ordered a tomato knife from her and
I really like it. It's green and serrated and it does a great job
dicing fresh tomatoes.

I do have to admit that if she was not selling the stuff, I'd never have
considered paying so much for a tomato knife.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

my sister uses hers for cookines and breads of all kinds,

as to cleaning, my dh had one of these my ssister got him for christmas one
year, he just scraped it clean with a plastic scrubber, not one that digs
in, then he wiped it with a damp cloth, I don't recall him doing anything
towards seasoning he just started using it.

beyond pizzas breads and cookies, he also uses it from time to time to
increase the temp of the oven, i can't recall the thing its called, but he
puts it on the bottom shelf and preheats with the oven then bakes a pie on
the higher shelf to cook the bottm more quickly so the picrust doesn't get
mushy.

Lee

ps, my best friend is well on her way to being his new best friend, as soon
after the house burnt she found his exact stone on ebay for cheap, lol, Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
>I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I only
>bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party otherwise
>I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice. Much bigger
>than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there any reading
>for how to use these things? The only instructions I got with it said to
>season it with cooking spray or cook things like high fat refrigerator
>biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or dishwashing liquid, and
>of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that it just says to scrape off
>any food but how do you clean it? I don't even own any cast iron so I
>don't get the concept of how to clean something that you can't use liquid
>detergent on.
>
> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover most
> of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for what you
> can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i guess i should have said he sometimes uses parchement paper when the
cookies are particularily high fat, Lee
"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 9/10/2011 9:14 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
>> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
>> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
>> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
>> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
>> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
>> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
>> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
>> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
>> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
>> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>>
>> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
>> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
>> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

> I use my pizza stone for baking challah. I have been using pizza stones
> for years as they helped make an RV propane oven work better and I never
> heard of seasoning them with anything. Of course, mine were cheapies from
> Kitchen Collection and not elegant ones from Pampered Chef <g>
>
> I solve the problem of cleaning it by putting a silpat on top of it.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2011 11:03 PM, Pete C.
wrote:
> Most of the time when you are using a baking stone, you are running it
> as hot as your oven goes, 500F+ so it is rather self cleaning and you
> just scrape off any carbonized residue.

Thanks. So after you wipe it off and put it away for the next use it
isn't grubby?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

no most it ever needs is a damp cloth, and btw the stone is used to
satabilize really, whatever heat your oven is is the temp the stone will
come to, it doesn't have to be all the way hot to be useful, but it really
does an excellent job on pizza done that way, Lee
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 9/10/2011 11:03 PM, Pete C.
> wrote:
>> Most of the time when you are using a baking stone, you are running it
>> as hot as your oven goes, 500F+ so it is rather self cleaning and you
>> just scrape off any carbonized residue.

> Thanks. So after you wipe it off and put it away for the next use it
> isn't grubby?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> On 9/10/2011 11:03 PM, Pete C.
> wrote:
> > Most of the time when you are using a baking stone, you are running it
> > as hot as your oven goes, 500F+ so it is rather self cleaning and you
> > just scrape off any carbonized residue.

> Thanks. So after you wipe it off and put it away for the next use it
> isn't grubby?

It will be a bit discolored, but that isn't a problem. I also don't put
it away, it always stays on the bottom rack in my oven since it provides
thermal mass to stabilize oven temps and provides a shield from direct
radiant energy from the bottom element in the oven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 11/09/2011 06:30, Storrmmee ha scritto:

> no most it ever needs is a damp cloth, and btw the stone is used to
> satabilize really, whatever heat your oven is is the temp the stone will
> come to, it doesn't have to be all the way hot to be useful, but it really
> does an excellent job on pizza done that way, Lee

My cousin regularlu uses a pizza stone, he always puts it on the
stovetop's biggest fire and hets it like that, then he puts itg into the
oven with the pizza over it. He's getting close to the topstove heated
cast-iron pan and broiler. He still uses the normal oven but I suggested
him to try with the broiler a-la ALton Brown. We'll see
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2011 10:14 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. I
> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. But it sure is nice.
> Much bigger than I expected at 15". Nice handles for lifting. Is there
> any reading for how to use these things? The only instructions I got
> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. Other than that
> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? I don't
> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>
> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
> most of the surface with food. Are there any good tips out there for
> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? Thanks.

Never heard of seasoning a stone. I simply scape off excess food as it
instructs. That isn't a food safety issue because you always heat it to
high temperatures before use. This concept of cleaning is the same one
you use for cast iron.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 10:14*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> I bought a Pampered Chef baking stone, first stone I've ever owned. *I
> only bought it to support a sales drive my niece was doing for a party
> otherwise I wouldn't have bought one so expensive. *But it sure is nice..
> Much bigger than I expected at 15". *Nice handles for lifting. *Is there
> any reading for how to use these things? *The only instructions I got
> with it said to season it with cooking spray or cook things like high
> fat refrigerator biscuits for the first few uses. Not to use soap or
> dishwashing liquid, and of course, not dishwasher safe. *Other than that
> it just says to scrape off any food but how do you clean it? *I don't
> even own any cast iron so I don't get the concept of how to clean
> something that you can't use liquid detergent on.
>
> I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
> most of the surface with food. *Are there any good tips out there for
> what you can use a 15" baking stone for other than a large pizza? *Thanks.

I never did anything to mine. Just slapped on the first pizza.

I leave it in my oven and stick other pans of stuff on it - oven
fries, bread. If the cookware fits on it, it stays.

I just scrape off any food bits with a sharp knife. Sharpens the
knife too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:14:58 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
>most of the surface with food.

I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those
instructions. I have never worried about covering the surface. I
love it for baking biscuits. I also use it to reheat anything that
needs to be crisped back up -- chicken tenders, fries, etc.

I just wipe off any visible dirt.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

You don't season a baking stone -- the pores must be open to cook things
properly.

You dont clean a baking stone, other than to scrape off any obvious burned-on
black stuff. The heat of the oven does short-term cleaning under normal
conditions.

The stone will be cleaned ultimately during the oven's self-cleaning cycle --
after which you just wipe off any grey power with a damp sponge.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:24:28 -0400, Cheryl > wrote:

>Thanks. So after you wipe it off and put it away for the next use it
>isn't grubby?

It's best to leave it in your oven at all times. It slows down the heat-up
slightly, but also stabilizes your oven temperatures.

I have two in my oven at all times -- one on the bottom (concealed heating
element) and one on the lowest of three racks.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i am very interested in that, DH's grandfather was cicilian, sp, he said
pizza when he was a kid was a way to stretch food and was nothing like what
we have here, Lee
"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Il 11/09/2011 06:30, Storrmmee ha scritto:
>
>> no most it ever needs is a damp cloth, and btw the stone is used to
>> satabilize really, whatever heat your oven is is the temp the stone will
>> come to, it doesn't have to be all the way hot to be useful, but it
>> really
>> does an excellent job on pizza done that way, Lee

> My cousin regularlu uses a pizza stone, he always puts it on the
> stovetop's biggest fire and hets it like that, then he puts itg into the
> oven with the pizza over it. He's getting close to the topstove heated
> cast-iron pan and broiler. He still uses the normal oven but I suggested
> him to try with the broiler a-la ALton Brown. We'll see
> --
> Vilco
> And the Family Stone
> Let the liquor do the thinking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

iirc that dh's came with a scraper, so he just scraped and wiped, ours lived
in the oven also. Lee
"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 22:14:58 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>

>>I also noticed the instructions said to use it only if you can cover
>>most of the surface with food.

> I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those
> instructions. I have never worried about covering the surface. I
> love it for baking biscuits. I also use it to reheat anything that
> needs to be crisped back up -- chicken tenders, fries, etc.
>
> I just wipe off any visible dirt.
>
> Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > wrote in message

> I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those
>> instructions. I have never worried about covering the surface. I
>> love it for baking biscuits. I also use it to reheat anything that
>> needs to be crisped back up -- chicken tenders, fries, etc.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...roductId=16723

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:31:24 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> > > wrote in message

>> I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those
>>> instructions. I have never worried about covering the surface. I
>>> love it for baking biscuits. I also use it to reheat anything that
>>> needs to be crisped back up -- chicken tenders, fries, etc.

>http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...roductId=16723

This bothers me;
"Stoneware is heat-resistant to 450°F" A 'pizza' stone that is
only supposed to do 450?

I've got some other stoneware pieces from pampered chef [50 cents at a
garage sale<g>] They are thicker and more porous than my pizza
stone.

Has anyone used the pampered chef 'big round' stone and another pizza
stone? Does the bulk and porosity make up for the 100 degrees or
so of temp-- or do you think PC is just covering themselves?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 03:59:38 -0500, Storrmmee wrote:

>>> First, I don't have a self cleaning oven. Second, the instructions said
>>> to season it. I'm a little surprised everyone is saying not to when the
>>> instructions say to do so.

>> Maybe because everyone has actually used one and not just rubbed magic oil
>> on it.
>>
>> Put it in the oven and forget it's there. Scrape it with a steel spatula
>> and wash it like you would a cutting board when you feel the need, then
>> return it to it's home in the oven where it should stay no matter what
>> you're baking.
>>
>> TFM®

> not like a cutting board, no soap, and I am wondering if the composition of
> the stones have changed to warrent the change in instructions, I don't
> recall DH getting anything on paper except a warrentee slip. Lee

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/c...a-stone-052351
Mine looks just like this one, stains and all. Soap has never hurt it and
is recommended on this page.

It's just a big unglazed tile. More importantly, it's thermal mass.

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> > > wrote in message

>> I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those
>>> instructions. I have never worried about covering the surface. I
>>> love it for baking biscuits. I also use it to reheat anything that
>>> needs to be crisped back up -- chicken tenders, fries, etc.

>http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...roductId=16723

That 450F bothered me so I went looking for the instructions for mine.
http://fantes.com/manuals/old-stone-...structions.pdf

They recommend heating to 500F-- and don't give a maximum. [my oven
does 550F- so that's where I cook pizza]

They also warn *against* cooking fatty foods. No mention of soap
except to *not* use it for the initial cleaning.

I'm just pointing these things out because obviously all stones are
not the same. I'd do whatever PC said to do - they are the ones
researching that stone-- and getting feedback from consumers. And
they have a vested interest in you being happy.

[and now I'm going to dig my PC stonewear out and bake something on
them at 450F to see if they act different from my "Old Stone Oven"
stone]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i can't see the pic but will show it to dh, he used his for fifteen years,
all manner of baked everything, he never used soap and it never stained, i
only know that because he commented on it after we baked some very fatty
pastries, then after the next pizza or so he said he was shocked it never
stained. Lee
"TFM®" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe because everyone has actually used one and not just rubbed magic
>>> oil
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> Put it in the oven and forget it's there. Scrape it with a steel
>>> spatula
>>> and wash it like you would a cutting board when you feel the need, then
>>> return it to it's home in the oven where it should stay no matter what
>>> you're baking.
>>>
>>> TFM®

>> not like a cutting board, no soap, and I am wondering if the composition
>> of
>> the stones have changed to warrent the change in instructions, I don't
>> recall DH getting anything on paper except a warrentee slip. Lee

> http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/c...a-stone-052351
> Mine looks just like this one, stains and all. Soap has never hurt it and
> is recommended on this page.
>
> It's just a big unglazed tile. More importantly, it's thermal mass.
>
> TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

am very iterest if there is a difference, Lee
"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message

>>> I have a Pampered Chef baking stone, and I must have missed those

>>http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...roductId=16723

> That 450F bothered me so I went looking for the instructions for mine.
> http://fantes.com/manuals/old-stone-...structions.pdf
>
> They recommend heating to 500F-- and don't give a maximum. [my oven
> does 550F- so that's where I cook pizza]
>
> They also warn *against* cooking fatty foods. No mention of soap
> except to *not* use it for the initial cleaning.
>
> I'm just pointing these things out because obviously all stones are
> not the same. I'd do whatever PC said to do - they are the ones
> researching that stone-- and getting feedback from consumers. And
> they have a vested interest in you being happy.
>
> [and now I'm going to dig my PC stonewear out and bake something on
> them at 450F to see if they act different from my "Old Stone Oven"
> stone]
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I keep parsing the subject line as "Seasoning a baking stone and asking
it questions".

Excuse me, Mr. Stone, but I hear you get really heated up in the
afternoon...

Serene

--
http://www.momfoodproject.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TFM®" > wrote in message

>>> Maybe because everyone has actually used one and not just rubbed magic
>>> oil
>>> on it.
>>>
>>> Put it in the oven and forget it's there. Scrape it with a steel
>>> spatula
>>> and wash it like you would a cutting board when you feel the need, then
>>> return it to it's home in the oven where it should stay no matter what
>>> you're baking.
>>>
>>> TFM®

>> not like a cutting board, no soap, and I am wondering if the composition
>> of
>> the stones have changed to warrent the change in instructions, I don't
>> recall DH getting anything on paper except a warrentee slip. Lee

> http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/c...a-stone-052351
> Mine looks just like this one, stains and all. Soap has never hurt it and
> is recommended on this page.
>
> It's just a big unglazed tile. More importantly, it's thermal mass.

Just like mine!
--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
s.com...
>> On 9/11/2011 8:56 PM, wrote:
>>
>>> You don't season a baking stone -- the pores must be open to cook things
>>> properly.
>>>
>>> You dont clean a baking stone, other than to scrape off any obvious
>>> burned-on
>>> black stuff. The heat of the oven does short-term cleaning under normal
>>> conditions.
>>>
>>> The stone will be cleaned ultimately during the oven's self-cleaning
>>> cycle --
>>> after which you just wipe off any grey power with a damp sponge.

>> First, I don't have a self cleaning oven. Second, the instructions said
>> to season it. I'm a little surprised everyone is saying not to when the
>> instructions say to do so.

>I have never seasoned mine. As with others, mine lives in the oven. When
>I am not using it in particular, it gives mass to heat up the oven and keeps
>the heat.

Actually what that stone does is waste energy by having to heat it,
and it stores no energy used for cooking because it never gets hotter
than the thermostat setting and any retained heat is wasted by being
retained after what's cooked is removed from the oven. Only the
imbeciles who failed grade school science think so-called pizza stones
do something, well they separate the dollars from those with more
dollars than brain cells.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:

>>> not like a cutting board, no soap, and I am wondering if the composition
>>> of
>>> the stones have changed to warrent the change in instructions, I don't
>>> recall DH getting anything on paper except a warrentee slip. Lee

>> http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/c...a-stone-052351
>> Mine looks just like this one, stains and all. Soap has never hurt it and
>> is recommended on this page.
>>
>> It's just a big unglazed tile. More importantly, it's thermal mass.

>Just like my big fat hot ass!

Really?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:03*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> I have never seasoned mine. *As with others, *mine lives in the oven. *When
> I am not using it in particular, it gives mass to heat up the oven and keeps
> the heat.

Plus, where would there be a better place to store it? I don't want
to put my back moving the thing in and out - I make pizza often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 10:16*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> s.com...

> >> First, I don't have a self cleaning oven. *Second, the instructions said
> >> to season it. *I'm a little surprised everyone is saying not to when the
> >> instructions say to do so.

> >I have never seasoned mine. *As with others, *mine lives in the oven.. *When
> >I am not using it in particular, it gives mass to heat up the oven and keeps
> >the heat.

> Actually what that stone does is waste energy by having to heat it,
> and it stores no energy used for cooking because it never gets hotter
> than the thermostat setting and any retained heat is wasted by being
> retained after what's cooked is removed from the oven. *Only the
> imbeciles who failed grade school science think so-called pizza stones
> do something, well they separate the dollars from those with more
> dollars than brain cells.

(lip quivering) Now you've got frugally oriented me wondering about
this. I hope some others weigh in on this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>On Sep 12, 10:16*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>> >"Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> s.com...

>> >I have never seasoned mine. *As with others, *mine lives in the oven. *When
>> >I am not using it in particular, it gives mass to heat up the oven and keeps
>> >the heat.

>> Actually what that stone does is waste energy by having to heat it,
>> and it stores no energy used for cooking because it never gets hotter
>> than the thermostat setting and any retained heat is wasted by being
>> retained after what's cooked is removed from the oven. *Only the
>> imbeciles who failed grade school science think so-called pizza stones
>> do something, well they separate the dollars from those with more
>> dollars than brain cells.

>(lip quivering) Now you've got frugally oriented me wondering about
>this. I hope some others weigh in on this.

The pinheads who are already invested will say anything to rationalize
against how they've wasted their money.

And how many times do I need to explain how when a raw pizza is placed
directly on a heated stone the temperature at the stone's surface
immediately drops to less than that of boiling water by the steam
produced, and stays that way because a conventional oven's source of
heat is not inside the stone (as with a brick oven) so the stone
temperature never recovers until after the pizza is removed. Using a
pizza stone is exactly/precisely the same as filling your bath with
hot water and getting in with a block of ice. Even pizzarias with
real brick ovens are using pizza screens nowadays to create an air
space under the pizza, prevents condensation onto the oven surface so
the crust cooks crisper and saves a business quite a bit of money by
lowering energy bills. Pizza screens make placing and removing pizza
from an oven much easier/faster too... even better for a home oven
with wire racks is a perforated pizza pan, it's even more rigid, works
very well for grilled pizza also... serve from the perforated pan too,
a solid pizza pan immediately makes crust soggy by collecting
condensation. There is no way to convert the standard oven into a
brick oven, pizza stones are all about fantasy. And a pizza stone can
damage your oven, by hindering convection componants can be
damaged.... most oven manufacturer's owner's manuals warn against the
use of pizza stones, their use will void the warranty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Sep 12, 10:16 am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 15:03:12 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> .com...

>>> I have never seasoned mine. As with others, mine lives in the oven.
>>> When
>>> I am not using it in particular, it gives mass to heat up the oven
>>> and keeps the heat.

>> Actually what that stone does is waste energy by having to heat it,
>> and it stores no energy used for cooking because it never gets hotter
>> than the thermostat setting and any retained heat is wasted by being
>> retained after what's cooked is removed from the oven. Only the
>> imbeciles who failed grade school science think so-called pizza
>> stones do something, well they separate the dollars from those with
>> more dollars than brain cells.

> (lip quivering) Now you've got frugally oriented me wondering about
> this. I hope some others weigh in on this.

Eh... I have no stone and am not going to get one. I still make pizza. No
problems with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bull wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>

>>> Actually what that stone does is waste energy by having to heat it,
>>> and it stores no energy used for cooking because it never gets
>>> hotter than the thermostat setting and any retained heat is wasted
>>> by being retained after what's cooked is removed from the oven.
>>> Only the imbeciles who failed grade school science think so-called
>>> pizza stones do something, well they separate the dollars from
>>> those with more dollars than brain cells.

> TOTAL BULLSHIT!
>

>> (lip quivering) Now you've got frugally oriented me wondering about
>> this. I hope some others weigh in on this.

> If money is an issue - you can make pizza with out a stone of course -
> but when you slide a fresh crust onto a 500+ degree stone the crust
> bottom gets a "happy" on like a steak on a hot griddle.
>
> Obviously the head bullshitter has never been to a real pizza
> restaurant. They don't cook pizza on a tin pan in the middle rack of
> an oven.
>
> theBULL

If the stone in question can only go into a 450 degree oven, how can that
be?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

this is a prime reason why your kill file is your friend, Lee