Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sassafras Baking Stone

I just got one of these (not a lot of choice in baking stones in the UK).
Any comments on using it? I've been advised not to oil it, although the
instructions suggest doing that.

Thanks

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
>I just got one of these (not a lot of choice in baking stones in the UK).
> Any comments on using it? I've been advised not to oil it, although the
> instructions suggest doing that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug

Am I correct in assuming that sassafras is the brand name, and unrelated to
the material it's made of?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:
> I just got one of these (not a lot of choice in baking stones in the UK).
> Any comments on using it? I've been advised not to oil it, although the
> instructions suggest doing that.
>
> Thanks
>
> Doug
> --
> Doug Weller --
> A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
> Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

I view the whole Oil/Don't Oil issue as irrelevant. If you cook food
with oil in it (Pizzas, for example) it'll get oilled. Shouldn't make
much of a difference. Only things to worry about a

1.) Put in the oven before you start the oven, so that it has time to
soak up heat slowly. This avoids thermal shock fracturing.

2.)If you take it out of the oven while hot, put it on a rack or dry
towel or hot pad. Again - thermal shock.

3.)Don't wash with soap. They're absorbant and will absorb soap, and
then you'll have soapy bread. Which is nothing like soda bread. And
don't wash it with Coca-Cola either; it won't hurt it, but it also
won't give you soda bread, believe it or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Let me be more coherrent; Oil it or not, I don't think it makes a
difference. Unless you avoid oilly foods, it will get some oil on it.
So you can't avoid an oiled stone.

Also - you want to put it in the oven before you heat the oven. My
writing wasn't clear on that.

Greg Zywicki

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jay jay is offline

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:44:18 +0000, Doug Kanter wrote:

> "Doug Weller" > wrote in message
>>I just got one of these (not a lot of choice in baking stones in the UK).
>> Any comments on using it? I've been advised not to oil it, although the
>> instructions suggest doing that.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Doug

> Am I correct in assuming that sassafras is the brand name, and unrelated to
> the material it's made of?

Yes it is a brand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Apr 2006 07:09:42 -0700, in rec.food.cooking, Zywicki wrote:

>Let me be more coherrent; Oil it or not, I don't think it makes a
>difference. Unless you avoid oilly foods, it will get some oil on it.
>So you can't avoid an oiled stone.
>
>Also - you want to put it in the oven before you heat the oven. My
>writing wasn't clear on that.

Ok, thanks very much. I think I'm clear about it now, I've made some
biscuits tonight -- I didn't oil it, used a bit of cornmeal, and I can see
that the biscuits are lending their oil to the stone, which is fine. Now
to find a scraper to scrape the burned bits from the first lot off (I hate
my convection oven!). :-)

Doug